AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-27, 00:45   Link #1
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Your favourite jpop/jrock artist (or band)

*sigh*, 5$ says people will do exactly the same mistake the third time. But, just in case, its a friendly bet .

Before Sway says it, ACTUALLY JUSTIFY OR EXPLAIN WHAT ARTIST(S) YOU LIKE AND WHY, THATS WHY YOU DON'T DO HUGE LISTS, PICK ONE OR TWO, THATS IT.

I don't like yelling, even if it's just text, but that was necessary(sp?)

Now, for me, Most people would think The Thrill is just a bunch of people playing all their instruments at once, completely making white noise, aka not very nice to listen to. But if you go past that presumption and hear them, its like hearing multiple bands at once, but in a good way. The upbeat riffs of an electric guitar, the fast paced drums, the romantic tones of the saxaphone. The Thrill is my Jrock rapture .

As for Jpop, so far I haven't liked any. Its just too... techno-crappy to me, with gauge-my-ears high voices.
Edit: Interesting. 4 views and no posts.

Last edited by Deralti; 2004-01-27 at 01:02.
Old 2004-01-27, 01:17   Link #2
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Note: renamed the thread "Your favourite jpop/jrock artist (or band)" (was: Your favourite Jpop artist or/and Jrock band(last try)) to differentiate it from an existing thread.

Best of luck for this thread
Old 2004-01-28, 09:05   Link #3
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
You mean I must pick... one or two out of my favorite artists.... That's going to be... so... hard....

Takui - This is one of my all time favorite J-rockers. His first cd, NUCLEAR SONIC PUNK is the best, with songs like 'Innovator', 'UP TO DATE', and the simply hauntingly beautiful 'Saraba matenro no FAIRY TALE'. His followups, CHUNKY GOD POP and SWANKY GOD POP (each cd with 7 songs each... looks like his new cd coming out in Feb. will have 7 songs too... ) are as you guessed, more poppy. The change is more pop-rock than actual pop (think that american crap Good Charlotte), but I still love him and his badass attitude and voice. He did the ED theme to Airmaster, but those songs were utter poop.

Janne da Arc I've been fans since ... well, their second release was their latest cd! What else can I say other than I love these boys dearly! We got Yasu and his amazing vocals, You with the best guitar playing I've ever heard (He inspired me to learn how to play... I'm still a beginner though...), Ka-yu on bass, Kiyo on keyboard, and Shuji on drums. For beginners, I recommend 'SINGLES' and 'ANOTHER SINGLES' because well, its all of their singles. Of their albums, ANOTHER STORY is the most popular. But as a rabid fan I love all of their releases.

Shiina Ringo / Shena / Shina/ Sheena So many different spellings for her name! Anyway, this is the Goddess of the music world. You can't pinpoint her style, because she has none! This girl experements with everything, and guess what? It's always good! She writes, composes, produces, and plays more than one instrument on her tracks. Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana, is a godsend to true music lovers. RINGORAMA is amazing. What? I end almost every sentence with an exclamation point? Well its cuz she's that good people! Now go! Go buy all her releases!
Old 2004-01-28, 13:24   Link #4
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
I don't really have a couple of artists that i follow other than Utada Hikaru since she has such a hummble and gentle voice. Other than that, i usualy just listen to individual songs that appeal to me.

Edit: Well since no one has mentioned her, Mika Nakashima is also a fairly good artist. Her voice isn't the greatest but her songs have a nice vibe to them.
I just feelt that i should transfer my reply (whith out changing it) from the dead thread since i was the only one that justified and explaned why i like Hikki and Mika.

Just remembered that i also like EE Jump. I haven't really got to know them since i can't find their cds ANYWHERE, so i have only heard/seen (music videos) 4 of their songs, and from what i saw, i liked. They kind of have a fresh feel to them. One of the main vocalists also swiches from a popish sounding voice to a opera sounding voice, which is kind of interesting and it blends in well with the rest of the song. If any of you stumble along one of their CDs when you are looking around on the internet, plz pm me the url. I hate liking unique things, i can never find them

Edit: added EE Jump to the 'list'
Old 2004-01-28, 20:59   Link #5
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody

Just remembered that i also like EE Jump. I haven't really got to know them since i can't find their cds ANYWHERE, so i have only heard/seen (music videos) 4 of their songs, and from what i saw, i liked.
Edit: added EE Jump to the 'list'
You want more EE JUMP, you need to get SONIM, the female singer. You see, EE JUMP is no longer with us. What happened? Let's just say it involves the boy and a strip club. Yes, the twelve (?) year old boy was caught in a stip club. I say the boy because his name slips my mind. ^^;;; My man knows how to pimp the ladies though.... ^^;;;
[edit] Sonim's contract recently expired, so I don't know what's going to happen to her. She's an indie artist now until someone else signs her. She used to be part of a small company that H!P owns. EE JUMP never released a CD because, well, they broke up before one could be made!

[edit] To keep this more in topic, here's another artist, and I agree with CCMoody -

Mika Nakashima Her latest cd, LOVE, is spectacular. From the jazz influenced 'Love Addict' to the simple and melodic 'Yuki no Hana', she delivers a solid album. Well, it doesn't help that all the tracks but two were singles. :P Nevertheless, a strong album. Most of the songs lean on the slow side, so I wouldn't reccommend her to those who don't like chillin to their tunes. :P Although, when she performs live, I keep thinking she's going to die because she starts swaying and crouching closer and closer to the ground....

Last edited by Chiaki Nozomi; 2004-01-29 at 21:41.
Old 2004-01-29, 09:21   Link #6
Kenji
Dream Navigator

Send a message via ICQ to Kenji
X Japan I love their ballads. I like it a lot this kind of music. That's why my other fav Jrock band i Concerto Moon
And in Jpop I like Megumi Ogata, Masami Okui and Hamasaki
Old 2004-01-29, 09:23   Link #7
Tboz

Quote:
Anyway, I used to love Siam Shade and I still love them now (disbanded). They are not a visual group, but their songs are defintely hard rock though sometimes chirpy happy too. There is Hideki's raging vocals, Junji 's mad drummings, Natin on solid bass, Kazuma the leader on backup and not to forget, Diata on guitar absolutely rocks.

I would recommend everything by them, but these are my favourites, especially Triptych which is a masterpiece.
-Rain
-Lovesick you don't know
-1/3 no Junjou na Kanjou
-Bloody Train
-Love Vampire
-Tears I Cried
-Black
-Shangri-la
-Triptych (Instrumental)
-Life
-Love
Sway, I hate repeating the 3rd time. No offense, but I think you are going a little overboard in your moderating. Please relax abit. I am reposting my last reply like CardCaptorMoody as I believe I have explained why I like my favourite band. If you don't like what you see, say it in the threads please, closing the thread isn't the best way to sort things out. To make it clearer, I have bold the relevant explainations.

Anyway, its quite ironic that Sonim (or Sonin?) herself has gone on down the sex object route considering what had happened to Goto Yuuki. I must say I'm quite fond of her as she seems quite hot, her voice is decent for a pop idol and I repeat again she is quite hot. A pity I have yet to see her famous MVs.

Anyone heard of Fayray? Some of you might have seen her in Love 2000, but she's rather low profile and I think not many people know about her. Her style is much like Misia, Yoshida Miwa(DCT) and Nakashima Mika meaning she sings R&B and soul. Her voice is not as distinct as the aforementioned artists but there is an emotional quality in it that touched me never like before. Its not easily to describe, but I can feel them and I love her voice for that. If you don't believe me, check out her songs Baby If and Tears.
Old 2004-01-29, 11:16   Link #8
megazone23

I haven't listened to a great variety of Jpop yet...
I guess Utada Hikaru and Ayumi Hamasaki (even though every other disc that she gets out is a REMIX... which has gotten pretty annoying because there's so many remixes of everything she sings)
As for bands, I like X-Japan the most (even though I'm not a big fan... their music is pretty nice) Not that I've listened to a lot of different bands, but X-Japan's made the biggest impression on me. (but some of their songs are kind of.... umm.... long?)
Old 2004-01-29, 12:19   Link #9
Akumeru

Send a message via AIM to Akumeru
wow ok my favorit artist is Ayumi Hamasaki...... but thats only because she is my cousin......wait have any of you ever herd of her?????? she did a end theme for Inuyasha and various other animes... I just moved to the United States last month and I was wandering if asian artest were as popular over here as they are back home.
Old 2004-01-30, 08:50   Link #10
AzNKiDoOo2

Send a message via AIM to AzNKiDoOo2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumeru
wow ok my favorit artist is Ayumi Hamasaki...... but thats only because she is my cousin......wait have any of you ever herd of her?????? she did a end theme for Inuyasha and various other animes... I just moved to the United States last month and I was wandering if asian artest were as popular over here as they are back home.

My Fav is Ayumi Hamasaki and Gackt. Alittle Hyde but not much. =P
she Does Release Alot of Remix O_o..
Well would u rather have a SINGLE With Orignal Mix and The Instrumental one thats it? so i guess Adding a few remix don't hurt =P
Old 2004-02-01, 23:39   Link #11
Jin
Staked!

Send a message via AIM to Jin
Mines would be a toss-up between T.M. Revolution and Takashi Sorimachi (plays Eikichi Onizuka in live action version of GTO). Did anyone see this guy in full-time killer? Damn what a cool guy.

Last edited by Jin; 2004-02-02 at 00:00.
Old 2004-02-02, 06:34   Link #12
Tboz

T.M.Revolution, another one that I happen to like. Some says his music are repetitive and others dislike his dressup. Overall I find his rock/pop/techno sound to be quite cool and he sure has a pretty powerful voice and nice vibrato. Incidently, he was the second Japanese artist (first was Siam Shade ) that made me part my money for the imported album. Anyway, I always thought his songs are just perfect for space anime OP.
Old 2004-02-02, 08:13   Link #13
Hannah's_Knight

Send a message via MSN to Hannah's_Knight
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Dir en Grey yet!!
The kings of all that is Visual Kei.
If you haven't heard them yet, PM me, we'll chat about them ^.^
Old 2004-02-04, 00:14   Link #14
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Watched the Bump of Chicken music video for 'Sailing Day,' and i was hooked to their music..

Yes, their music is a little predictable..
Yes, they bare similarities to the pillows..
YES, they stick to major chords in many of their songs..

but the deliverance is awesome, not as soft as Mr. Children, yet not as fast as Pillows.. they are a perfect blend of Japanese "punk" rock and pop. their tunes are really refressing as well.. always upbeat and happy, never a dull moment in their songs. they also stray from using sound effects and voice-altering machinations that many japanese (and a majority of asian) artists incorporate into their music.. giving them that 'garage band' feel that has become so popular both in north america and japan.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2004-02-09, 23:47   Link #15
Sushilicious

Send a message via AIM to Sushilicious
DRAGON ASH.

whooo.. kenji's tha mayn, f'sho.
Old 2004-02-10, 02:18   Link #16
Xenocraze

TWO-MIX!! She's the best Jpop artist I've heard yet. Her songs just bring me to life. I don't understand everything she says, but I understand some of it. The lyrics may not be the best, but most of the Americans that listen don't care, so meh. The rhythm and beat will latch onto you though. It's very catchy once you start listening. I've been listening to her for four and a half years, and it's not getting any older.
Old 2004-02-10, 03:23   Link #17
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

The Mad Capsule Markets - I LOVE THEM they are my favourite jrock band and there is something about their music that i love, i could (and do) listen to them all day without getting bored, i managed to see them live twice when they played here and it just made me love them more
i can't wait for their new album!!!!!!!

*runs off to listen to them*
Old 2004-02-10, 03:25   Link #18
Griffith

Namie Amuro is one of my current favorites. I first heard her music through Inuyasha and it inspired me to hear more of her. She's equally good at slow songs as she is pop/rap/rock sounds.
Old 2004-02-15, 08:01   Link #19
M00gle
Kupoman

hmmm... hard to choose, Utada Hikaru or Ayumi Hamasaki... Ayumi r0xx0rs.
Old 2004-02-15, 08:18   Link #20
koki_2706

How come nobody mentioned the rock band The Brilliant Green?? I absolutely love the lead vocalist Tomoko Kawase's (or Tommy, as she is affectionately known) melancholy vocals and they write some of the catchiest tunes i've ever heard. Frankly speaking, I dont know why they are not very popular in Japan, whereas it is the other way round outside the country...

On the other hand, if you like Tommy only, she has an alternative personality known as Tommyfebruary6. Strangely, compared to TBG, Tommyfebruary6 sings neo-80s tunes, which may be off putting for some people...
Closed Thread