AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-09, 15:46   Link #941
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Yeah now that you mention Hattori, when Iwase told everyone she didn't need anyone's opinion on her story, I was thinking, well you sure liked having Hattori's help didn't you?
It's called being professional. Their social connection is different. Hattori is the boss, it's natural to listen to him, because that's part of her job as a mangaka. While Fukuda team are co-workers, and seeking their advise is seeking help from outsiders who aint related to her job at all.
Old 2010-02-11, 09:37   Link #942
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for 73:
Old 2010-02-11, 16:14   Link #943
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for 73:
Old 2010-02-12, 03:43   Link #944
mammothb

great change in artwork for the final panel
Old 2010-02-12, 04:22   Link #945
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
I don't know, this whole thing with all the character having some kind of tie with his uncle feels kind of forced, like what are the odds...?
Old 2010-02-12, 05:25   Link #946
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAQI View Post
I don't know, this whole thing with all the character having some kind of tie with his uncle feels kind of forced, like what are the odds...?
lol it's manga
any character can have a connection to another depending on the author's taste

the author can even make Mashiro and Takagi cousins

Old 2010-02-13, 14:05   Link #947
Xagzan

I do kinda hope they show more of the New Year's party next chapter though.
Old 2010-02-19, 03:45   Link #948
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for 74:
Old 2010-02-19, 13:44   Link #949
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Spoiler for 74:
i get the feeling that Tanto will turn inot something else. i doubt it will stay a comedy with Takagi having so much trouble with it.
Old 2010-02-19, 16:20   Link #950
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i get the feeling that Tanto will turn inot something else. i doubt it will stay a comedy with Takagi having so much trouble with it.
That's what I was thinking. A true masterstroke would be to make a 180 and turn the whole thing into a dark mystery series with occasional shimmers of pitch black comedy right before the first tankobon ends. That would stop a LOT of people short.

Given what Mashiro said about the industry, I feel that this is about the only option the Ashirogi pair has if they want to toss out the episodic invention idea. They're already serialized, so they can't just back out and start over. In any rate, I would clamor to read a series that manages to pull the above within 7 chapters. It would be like Full Metal Alchemist, except far more pronounced. FMA already had a foot in the darkness to begin with.
Old 2010-02-19, 20:15   Link #951
Xion Valkyrie

It's so exciting now, with everyone totally motivated. I'd agree that if they don't scrap Tanto, they'd need to turn it into something closer to their original stories. It was those stories that blew everyone away wasn't it?
Old 2010-02-20, 02:04   Link #952
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It's so exciting now, with everyone totally motivated. I'd agree that if they don't scrap Tanto, they'd need to turn it into something closer to their original stories. It was those stories that blew everyone away wasn't it?
It was - even Nizuma noticed them because he liked Money and Intelligence. I agree with everyone who's saying that Ashirogi will ultimately revert to something closer to their original stories.

It seems that one of the underlying themes is that while Ashirogi is very talented, their work lacks the certain "spark" it needs to be truly great. Tanto as a comedy is good, but they're obviously not 100% comfortable with the style, so I can't see it being the work that makes them one of the future pillars of Jump that Hattori wants them to be.

One thing I've been thinking is that Nizuma's been promised that he can cancel one series in Jump if he becomes the most popular author. I can see him becoming number one and using his "kill" on Tanto, forcing Ashirogi back to the drawing board to come up with that great story everyone thinks they have in them.
Old 2010-02-20, 02:13   Link #953
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
One thing I've been thinking is that Nizuma's been promised that he can cancel one series in Jump if he becomes the most popular author. I can see him becoming number one and using his "kill" on Tanto, forcing Ashirogi back to the drawing board to come up with that great story everyone thinks they have in them.
I don't think he would seriously use it on Tanto. Hattori's setup and Niizuma's own taunting is supposed to give them that kind of motivation.

If they continue to fight Niizuma and manage to clamber up the rankings and survive with Tanto (but notably not being their best), then maybe he'll use that hit on them, but it would make him look like a huge jerk to everyone after all the effort Ashirogi would have put through, not to mention make it too depressing for the entire Ashirogi group. Just think of all the stomping Akina would make over it.

I think the best Niizuma could do with that idea is to threaten to use it. He can't actually use it without being too villainous.

He doesn't have to only use it on Tanto. I can't think of a reason why, but it would be amazing to see him use it on Natural when he senses trouble from Akina.
Old 2010-02-20, 03:17   Link #954
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I can't think of a reason why, but it would be amazing to see him use it on Natural when he senses trouble from Akina.
I had thought of him doing that if the story strayed from the manga, but Hattori's her editor so if anything goes wrong he should be able to spot it first.
Old 2010-02-20, 03:20   Link #955
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I had thought of him doing that if the story strayed from the manga, but Hattori's her editor so if anything goes wrong he should be able to spot it first.
It could be a challenge: "If you can beat me in 12 months, I'll end Akina's series. If you can't, Tanto is over."

Now you'll have white-hot flames under both Akina and Shujin. I guess he can call this if they both get too complacent.

Though I don't think he could ever be allowed to end a series. The editorial team would let him work on two series at once, but there's no way they would back down on this. It makes him far too superior over the rest of the magazine.
Old 2010-02-20, 05:21   Link #956
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They could make Tanto into something close to a battle manga, but it's doubtful they'd be able to change Tanto into something closer to their older works. They'd have to change EVERYTHING, the whole premise is just wrong, and even the current artstyle wouldn't fit.

If they want to go back to their roots (and they should), they'd have to give up on Tanto and come up with something entirely new. Though it would probably be a huge blow for them if Tanto ends up being a failure.
Old 2010-02-20, 06:11   Link #957
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

but that failure could be the spark they need to create something great. you do have to hit bottom before you rise up.
Old 2010-02-20, 08:29   Link #958
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Didn't they hit the bottom already? TRAP got the axe and, well....they're with Miura :Heh:
Old 2010-02-20, 10:28   Link #959
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Trap only got the axe because . . . of the new editor.

I think they'll try to run with Tanto, but it won't be well received. It'll last for twenty or so chapters, and then it'll get axed. The jokes and gags are already stalled out, and it's only chapter four. The forced writing, along with the fact that it's not Shujin's forte to begin with, should be the downfall of the manga. Then they'll finally decide to stick with what they know and like best, the darker sci-fi storylines. I think it happening like this would make the most sense. Trying to turn Tanto into something else has disaster written all over it. Maybe they could get away with making it a battle manga, but the action would be centered around fighting with machines instead of a true battle manga. I guess they could push towards the collector/card game route . . . ugh.
Old 2010-02-20, 12:13   Link #960
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
They could make Tanto into something close to a battle manga, but it's doubtful they'd be able to change Tanto into something closer to their older works. They'd have to change EVERYTHING, the whole premise is just wrong, and even the current artstyle wouldn't fit.

If they want to go back to their roots (and they should), they'd have to give up on Tanto and come up with something entirely new. Though it would probably be a huge blow for them if Tanto ends up being a failure.
My impression of One Piece, as I picked a few random chapters to look at, is that it can be pretty dark. Disney is pretty damn dark.

Look again:
http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/71/02-03/

It's definitely not impossible to mold this art style into a dark story.

I just don't think Tanto should get axed. We've already seen them lose a series, and it's getting stale. Sure, Akina and the fact that Shujin is prospectively married would cause a lot of rifts, but I don't see the significance of putting them through all this angst. Plus, the first axe they got for Trap was to show how Miura's inexperience failed to salvage a situation for them. It behooves his character to not do that a second time, and redeem himself this time around.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen