AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your impression of the movie - A Wakening of the Trailblazer
091 - 100: Amazing 78 24.15%
081 - 090: Great 66 20.43%
071 - 080: Very Good 46 14.24%
061 - 070: Good 50 15.48%
051 - 060: Average 24 7.43%
041 - 050: Below Average 17 5.26%
031 - 040: Bad 6 1.86%
021 - 030: Very Bad 4 1.24%
011 - 020: Awful 10 3.10%
001 - 010: You would rather watch Britney Spears exposing her crotch. *shudder* 22 6.81%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-30, 17:33   Link #241
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And with this movie, the producers have effectively turned Gundam 00 into Macross... with Setsuna fulfilling the role of diva, and bits of W40K thrown in for good measure...

- Tak
I personally found the movie to be a refreshing experience from all the alien films I've seen so far. That isn't to say that films like Independence Day and District 9 aren't good, but just different. The movie feels like Independence Day minus the homicidal aliens; in fact, the ELS vehicles scene involving Hallelujah pulling some slick acrobatic moves distinctly had the feel of Transformers.
teh_nubkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 18:49   Link #242
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
I personally found the movie to be a refreshing experience from all the alien films I've seen so far. That isn't to say that films like Independence Day and District 9 aren't good, but just different. The movie feels like Independence Day minus the homicidal aliens; in fact, the ELS vehicles scene involving Hallelujah pulling some slick acrobatic moves distinctly had the feel of Transformers.
I think you might be missing the point.

The reason why I made the comparison was because the central theme of the 00 movie & the end movie's quote, "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" by Albert Einstein is also the very central theme to Macross since the latter's first inception.

The similarities to Macross is quite striking, as the 00 movie is about humanity facing an enemy that can only be pacificed through mutual understanding and not raw military prowess. Moreover, one can compare Setsuna to that of Macross diva(s), as both fulfilling the role of humanity's liaison to a foreign, unknown entity.

Needless to say, this is not your daddy's Gundam.

And the flowers... the lights... my goddess, did Kawamori have a hand in this?

Whats next? Zentradi invasion? FTL travel?

I cannot stop but to wonder what will become of Gundam in the future.

- Tak (Crossover, here I come...)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 20:58   Link #243
velocity7

I got a message from the disc saying that the BD-Live contents are only available in Japan, but is the BD-Live active yet? Wonder if I need a Japanese IP or anything?

EDIT: I disconnected the network cable and the same message still applies, only it takes 3 seconds rather than 2 minutes to make an attempt to connect. I suspect BD-Live is not "live" yet, but I'd need someone who has the BD and lives in Japan, or can mask their IP to be Japanese on their Blu-ray player or PS3. And if you can do the latter, please tell me how to!

Last edited by velocity7; 2010-12-30 at 21:16.
velocity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 21:53   Link #244
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Don't see wh they would only retrict it to Japan region considering you bought the actual BR.

Language may be a retriction to most people who import, but I don't see why region should.
Old 2010-12-30, 22:01   Link #245
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

Quote:
The reason why I made the comparison was because the central theme of the 00 movie & the end movie's quote, "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" by Albert Einstein is also the very central theme to Macross since the latter's first inception.

The similarities to Macross is quite striking, as the 00 movie is about humanity facing an enemy that can only be pacificed through mutual understanding and not raw military prowess. Moreover, one can compare Setsuna to that of Macross diva(s), as both fulfilling the role of humanity's liaison to a foreign, unknown entity.

Needless to say, this is not your daddy's Gundam.

And the flowers... the lights... my goddess, did Kawamori have a hand in this?

Whats next? Zentradi invasion? FTL travel?

I cannot stop but to wonder what will become of Gundam in the future.

- Tak (Crossover, here I come...)
I see where you're going with all this. Having not seen Marcross, I cannot understand the the parallels there the same way you would...to be honest, I have no idea what direction the Franchise will take after the aliens, though, so I'm simply going to keep my eyes open >_<
teh_nubkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 22:32   Link #246
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Don't see wh they would only retrict it to Japan region considering you bought the actual BR.

Language may be a retriction to most people who import, but I don't see why region should.
I would hope so. Other than that, the movie was quite intense. Obviously not a perfect movie as some may think, but still an entertaining watch. It's not like I only enjoy regular Gundam stuff, so a change of pace to something closer to Macross or Star Trek themes is always welcome.

It'd also be really nice if they continued Gundam 00 into the time period between 2314 and 2364, going over the conflicts during that time. After all, there was a reason that the 00 Qan[T] got ELS upgrades.
Old 2010-12-30, 22:42   Link #247
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
I see where you're going with all this. Having not seen Marcross, I cannot understand the the parallels there the same way you would...to be honest, I have no idea what direction the Franchise will take after the aliens, though, so I'm simply going to keep my eyes open >_<
Hmm, Okawara did mention that the detail of a new project will be announced next march.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 23:15   Link #248
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Aliens is gonna stay with the 00verse for now I think. It's still something new to the whole series. For now, I think it'd be best to keep it 00 exclusive.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 23:25   Link #249
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Aliens is gonna stay with the 00verse for now I think. It's still something new to the whole series. For now, I think it'd be best to keep it 00 exclusive.
Agreed. Besides, the AD 'verse was pretty much custom-tailored for aliens.
Old 2010-12-30, 23:31   Link #250
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I think you might be missing the point.

It should be noted though that Macross isn't even the very first franchise to have such a theme - if there's a more apt example, Star Trek did it first. In my view the ELS in Awakening of the Trailblazer has more in common with V'Ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture than Macross, if one wants me to dive into similarities and comparisons.

- Unknown entity that assimilates in order to understand something
- Lack of tangible means of communication between the two
- Entity incapable of being defeated by military means
- Said entity turning out to not have hostile intentions, but simply misunderstood
- The need for a liason to understand the aliens

There's also the exquisite detail put into creating an alien environment through which the main hero/es go through, achieving a sense of wonder at something so completely alien that I feel the two series share, something that Macross doesn't quite have due to the Zentradi being humanoid.

Also, I don't quite understand the perception that the theme "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" is a Macross-first concept, when that is pretty much a recurring theme for many Gundams (that's what Newtypes are for afterall), just that 00 put it as its primary theme. In fact, it's a theme that many war anime put forward, so I'm not sure why Macross is the only one it's compared to. In this case, the generality of the theme makes comparisons between series pretty silly.

On the other hand, I have no idea how WH40K got into the equation...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 00:06   Link #251
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Alright guys, stop with the comparisons; pretty much everything borrows liberally from everything nowadays, some are just better at hiding it than others. It's mostly coming down to which franchise/series you prefer anyway. Besides, has everyone forgotten that Macross came after Gundam and was much more black and white in its depictions of warfare and antagonists?
Old 2010-12-31, 05:37   Link #252
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Rewatching the movie again, I really love the Andrei's sacrifice scene, it makes me sadder when I saw many other GN-Xs following and sacrificed themselves to stop the ELS too. The best part for me is during Setsuna's recovery scene, where he saw everyone's fighting hard to survive, you can actually see the killer Automatons used to help people instead. Very great message over there, anything can be used as deadly weapon, but used correctly, it can save life.
Old 2010-12-31, 05:57   Link #253
DV04

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Rewatching the movie again, I really love the Andrei's sacrifice scene, it makes me sadder when I saw many other GN-Xs following and sacrificed themselves to stop the ELS too. The best part for me is during Setsuna's recovery scene, where he saw everyone's fighting hard to survive, you can actually see the killer Automatons used to help people instead. Very great message over there, anything can be used as deadly weapon, but used correctly, it can save life.
Yeah, that part was great. I didn't like Andrei a whole lot in season 2, but his character changed near the end and in the movie. If only Graham's death was that emotional...
DV04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 06:14   Link #254
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

It could have been more emotional, but the sacrifice he made was like a little 'poof' when he self destructed. I don't even feel like he's dead. The least Setsuna could do was to remember his name...

Nevertheless, Graham and the Braves kicked serious ass in the movie
Old 2010-12-31, 13:12   Link #255
Rawinder

Graham's death was more of the epic variety, than an emotional one.

As it should be imo.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 14:35   Link #256
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
Graham's death was more of the epic variety, than an emotional one.

As it should be imo.
As epic as it was, I kinda wish he didn't die.
Old 2010-12-31, 14:59   Link #257
justavisitor

unfortunately it seems like Setsuna still doesn't know Graham's name when Graham pays the ultimate sacrifice XD

Edit: oops, LightningZERO just mentions the same thing before me XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 16:40   Link #258
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Setsuna knows his name, come on people. Are we forgetting that A. he's an Innovator, and B. Graham CLEARLY stated his name when they fought in episode 22 of season 2?
Old 2010-12-31, 16:56   Link #259
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I've already explained that Setsuna was simply at a loss for words at Graham's sacrifice. If people want to ignore that...
Old 2010-12-31, 16:57   Link #260
DV04

Meh... I don't consider his death as epic either. Sure, he sacrificed himself to give Setsuna the opportunity, but it just went by so fast.
DV04 is offline   Reply With Quote