AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-10-15, 22:30   Link #41
Insane
Banned

If anyone here got bored by typical, lame protagonist, then let me make some suggestions :

Spoiler for Haguure Yuusha:

Spoiler for Campione:

In short, those lame, pussy protagonists days should be over!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 02:19.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:30   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Unfortunately those kind of main characters are not that common in eroge.
You're probably right that they're not that common in eroge itself. I mean, the eroge industry is massive in quantity itself - There's loads of eroges that have never been adapted into anime.

But I find with those eroges that have been adapted anime, there's a decent chance that you're going to get a good male lead in them. Now, this isn't universal. I've seen some adaptations of eroges that did little for me. But in recent years, I think that eroges have contributed at least 3 or so good anime shows per year.
Old 2012-10-15, 22:32   Link #43
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
If anyone here got bored by typical, lame protagonist, then let me make some suggestions :

Spoiler for Campione:

Don't forget Kinji from Hidan No Aria.....what girl could NOT fall for him?

I have a soft spot for Sado Tarou (MM!) too.

Spoiler:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 02:19.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:51   Link #44
backbone
Banned

Quote:

Spoiler for Campione:

Thanks for the share, your suggestions actually very useful since those two are strong and have capacity to kick the living crap outta anything.

What i don't like the most about male leads in harem stories are :

1) Whenever cliche scene happens (naked girl in front of you/suddenly grope a girl's breast), the male leads can only freeze in place without anything to do but waiting for a slap or punch (and making excuse that he's innocent. At least do something, dude!)

2) Harem story usually started out very interesting, but as it dragged on, it just degraded itself into the same old story of the male leads helping girls and girls falling for him, plus the typical violent jealousy but outright denial from the girls (WHAM! "I'm hitting you because....because you're a pervert and not because I like you or I'm jealous, okay? Don't misunderstand me!")

3) Male leads are oftenly overrated as a protagonist - everyone is making him out to be an awesome protagonist, but actually he ends up doing the same thing most protagonists do in the end, get beaten up by the girls for sexually harrassing them (in a comedic manner) or screws up at crucial moments. Plus he may look like he has a harem, but he actually does nothing with them at all.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 02:20.
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:52   Link #45
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
2) Harem story usually started out very interesting, but as it dragged on, it just degraded itself into the same old story of the male leads helping girls and girls falling for him
Actually this element can be seen in many regular romances as well.

Also i think that your problem (based on your last post) is not exactly the harem lead , but the overall harem cliches.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 23:16   Link #46
Insane
Banned

Quote:
What i don't like the most about male leads in harem stories are :

1) Whenever cliche scene happens (naked girl in front of you/suddenly grope a girl's breast), the male leads can only freeze in place without anything to do but waiting for a slap or punch (and making excuse that he's innocent. At least do something, dude!)

2) Harem story usually started out very interesting, but as it dragged on, it just degraded itself into the same old story of the male leads helping girls and girls falling for him, plus the typical violent jealousy but outright denial from the girls (WHAM! "I'm hitting you because....because you're a pervert and not because I like you or I'm jealous, okay? Don't misunderstand me!")

3) Male leads are oftenly overrated as a protagonist - everyone is making him out to be an awesome protagonist, but actually he ends up doing the same thing most protagonists do in the end, get beaten up by the girls for sexually harrassing them (in a comedic manner) or screws up at crucial moments. Plus he may look like he has a harem, but he actually does nothing with them at all.
Man, why're your conditions very hard to fulfill here (especially the number 2, since ALL harem stories work that way)? Somehow i feel that you're just throwing tantrum about your "general dislike" of harem stories.
Old 2012-10-15, 23:57   Link #47
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
Oh man. It's your opinion, but for the sake of Tenchi lovers out there, I'd just like to offer my own opinion that Tenchi Universe (the best Tenchi Series, IMO) is way better than 95% of harem comedies I've seen.

In my opinion, Tenchi is much more willful than most harem protagonists but the real strength of this show is the supporting cast. All of the females are such over-the-top zany (though certainly not very realistic) characters that I can't help but find them entertaining, and Tenchi's grandpa is a true badass, in every sense of the word.
I think a lot of overseas viewers are beautifying memories of Tenchi, due to it being one of their first exposures.
Dude was still a typical "kid caught and toyed by the circumstances" cliche hero.
I saw very little difference between him, and Keiichi of Ah! Megamisama.

I'd take Moroboshi Ataru over him any day.
Old 2012-10-16, 00:06   Link #48
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:

Spoiler for Campione:

Unfortunately, male empowerment isn't that big of a trend, the fact DVD sales show just how poorly Hagure and Campione sells shows what Otaku wants: Either a pristine virgin paradise

i on the other hand only really enjoy assertive to alpha leads. I mean, scoring women is half the battle. You need to know when to decide which girl you are actually committed to beyond the sex and romantic interaction.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 02:21.
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 00:13   Link #49
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I think a lot of overseas viewers are beautifying memories of Tenchi, due to it being one of their first exposures.
Dude was still a typical "kid caught and toyed by the circumstances" cliche hero.
Uh....Tenchi does have powers and ass-kicking abilities. On the other hand, Keiichi actually chooses a girl and sticks with her.....

But when it comes to personality....I guess they're similar...except Keiichi is happy to have a girlfriend.
Old 2012-10-16, 00:28   Link #50
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Uh....Tenchi does have powers and ass-kicking abilities.
What's that have to do with anything I said?

Quote:
But when it comes to personality....I guess they're similar...except Keiichi is happy to have a girlfriend.
They were basically genre typcast of the time.
I.E. Lack of strong personalities, and actions molded by the circumstances.

It was in smack middle of time when such characters were abundant, compared to the foot firmly planted in ground heroes of the previous decade, so it's understandable.
In the end, most protagonists are going to be molded after the era's demands and fads.

Personally, I much prefer the growth and conviction of a young boy portrayed excellently by Jean in Nadia, also from the same era, but such strong and interesting personalities gets in the way of harem genre of the time. The early 90s harem was basically rehash of Urusei Yatsura of "girl falling in your everyday life", but with IMO, much less focus on the protagonist characterization, and more focused on the girls. This carries on as a terrible genre standard, popularized by likes of Love Hina.
Old 2012-10-16, 00:52   Link #51
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:

I'd take Moroboshi Ataru over him any day.
Well for what it's worth I'm actually rewatching the series right now, and I'm definitely enjoying it. I think what I like the most about it is definitely the supporting cast, but I think it really is quite funny.

The sub I'm watching is also an enormous improvement over the Toonami dub.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 00:55   Link #52
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
Quote:
Ha! What's with your reference, dude? I don't think you should mind too much with a character with such ridiculous feature. Bullshit protagonist is bullshit. They're just absurdly weak creatures to fit in the role of "Butt Monkey" and get ridiculed so badly that they're not any better than wild animals! If you wanna argue about that kind of pathetic, lame, pussy guy, better you find any worst slave in this world as comparison. They're already garbage to begin with, no need to throw them into the fray by surrounded with a bunch of beautiful but hypocrite girls who can't even treat their love interests with comfort.

I wanna roar as loud as i can with :

C'mon, you're a guy yet you let a bitch get the better of you!? Are you a transvetite or just pretending to be a male here!? If you're just trying to be a nice guy, then congratulations for a slap mark in your face. But if you're a "real" dude with big balls, then do something instead of just nosebleeding or drooling, it's pathetic as hell!
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 02:53   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
C'mon, you're a guy yet you let a bitch get the better of you!? Are you a transvetite or just pretending to be a male here!? If you're just trying to be a nice guy, then congratulations for a slap mark in your face. But if you're a "real" dude with big balls, then do something instead of just nosebleeding or drooling, it's pathetic as hell!
Personally, I find this sort of attitude (and the protagonists that embody it, like some of those mentioned above) so uncivilized, to say the least. Like, really, calling a woman a "bitch", like she's some inferior creature? He shouldn't take it "from a girl", and should "be a man", and do what exactly? Push her down? Punch her back? Put her "in her place"? Seeing people say this kind of bullshit makes my blood boil more than seeing any number of guys in anime get the comedic slap or punch.

The problem with a lot of the "male empowerment" examples mentioned above, in my opinion, is that they're overpowered to the point of absolute stupidity. There is no real tension to their character at all because they basically have no real character flaws or weaknesses (or if they do, it's something inane); the only question is how they'll next defeat the next "big bad". And there isn't even any tension about whether or how he'll manage to actually win over the girl he loves, because it doesn't matter (he may not even really care about love at all, just getting what he wants). He wins the girls just because "he's the man", and he saves the day because "he's the hero". Granted that all harem stories may revolve around this point to a certain degree, but at least there's some tension in seeing a less than perfect person actually work at it, struggle through some misunderstandings, and find love despite their not being perfect to start with. Then again, I'm not sure if some of these other sorts of "harem anime" are really about love or romance at all.

Quote:
That guy is awesome. He can sexually harrass girls and get away from it...
A real role model for "real dudes" everywhere...
Old 2012-10-16, 03:41   Link #54
Insane
Banned

Quote:
That's just wrong man, that mindset of yours. According to your statements, it's not being "gentleman" but a "douche" instead. Indeed i don't like a pussy or nosebleeding MC, but a violent or harsh type is even worse.

Such violence (the heroine abuses the MC) usually happens because of misunderstanding or the heroine becomes jealous of other girl's presence around the MC. Then it's simple. The MC just have to clear the misunderstanding (although this unlikely happens before he got some injuries first).
Old 2012-10-16, 06:15   Link #55
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Calling a girl a "bitch" and saying that you need to get the better of her to prove to yourself you're a ""real" dude with big balls" is pretty darn pathetic as well if you ask me.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-10-16 at 08:02.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 07:59   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Calling a girl a "bitch" and saying that you need to get the better of her to prove to yourself yourself you're a ""real" dude with big balls" is pretty darn pathetic as well if you ask me.
See my post above about such attitudes and what they reveal about the speaker ...
Old 2012-10-16, 20:18   Link #57
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It is acceptable for a man to take abuse from a woman.
However, a man cannot fight back against a woman to defend himself.

Hmm.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 20:21   Link #58
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It is acceptable for a man to take abuse from a woman.
However, a man cannot fight back against a woman to defend himself.

Hmm.
i am for equal rights,

if a woman hits me, i will hit her right back.
Old 2012-10-16, 21:43   Link #59
Chiibi

Quote:
What's that have to do with anything I said?
Because you said you saw little differences between Tenchi and Keiichi and I was like
"Uh......can't agree there."
Old 2012-10-16, 22:25   Link #60
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Uh....Tenchi does have powers and ass-kicking abilities.
Quote:
Because you said you saw little differences between Tenchi and Keiichi and I was like
"Uh......can't agree there."
We're talking about character of a character, not who has the bigger flashier cosmic penis.