AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2011-09-02, 15:43   Link #1881
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Send a message via MSN to BigSmokeDawg
Yeah, for pinchies you gotta make sure you've got a lot of gain and that you use the bridge humbucker. It took me quite a while to get them, you just have to keep trying to do them every so often. Also try adjusting where abouts you're picking to try and do them. I couldn't do them at all on my old 10w amp, but on my new 30w I can easily do them.

This will help a lot too:

Old 2011-09-02, 20:15   Link #1882
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
@LightMusicBand
You need a good setting and amp to make your pinch harmonic sound good. But of course, the most important thing is getting the pinch harmonic to sound even without plugging it into an amp.

I have 3 different setup in my house:

- One with my crappy amp (the crappiest one)..and it's very difficult to produce a harmonic.
- Second is by directly plugging the guitar to my computer. The signal is reduced horribly (because the conversion of analog to digital wasn't handled properly) but even with that it's way easier to produce pinch harmonics in this setup. This is the setup I use for all my videos and recordings.
- Third is by using an old equalizer (more than 10 years old) to increase the gain of my amp. This setup has a lots of noise but it has a lot of gain...so this is the easiest setup to get the pinch harmonics working.

So to conclude this higher gain = easier.
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 02:21   Link #1883
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

uhmmmm, ok. i use a very crappy 10 W amp (maybe even lower than 10 W if you account the age of it). an amp that reached the end of its useful life a long time ago. i mean, it sounds really weak, low gain, and sounds like an empty can of sardines. (i think you know what i mean). i've been wanting it to be replaced a long time ago, but due to financial constraints, i just have to make due with it. (actually, not exactly my amp to begin with. it was given to me by my friend).

it's low gain is counteracted by my effect pedal's gain. but it's just not enough. haven't really tried that on guitar rig, either. i guess i'll try.

so you do use pinch harmonics for that part? and does it really sound powerful, even on the 22nd fret? i can't really test this out.
Old 2011-09-03, 03:43   Link #1884
trenton_dawn
Silt

The score sheet specifically calls for pinch harmonic on that fret, so that's apparently how it's done. It's hard to say where the problem lies without hearing it first because powerful pinch harmonics result from a combination of technique, pickup quality, amp gain, effects gain, amp power, etc...
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 04:04   Link #1885
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
@LightMusicBand
I can feel your pain XD.

Also, my sound won't last long because of the low gain...maybe it's the same issue with yours. I'm trying to do vibratos just to lengthen the sound a bit. I really need to buy a new rig.
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 07:10   Link #1886
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

A pinch harmonic on the 22nd fret sounds a bit too ridiculous though... I find they're easiest to get on the G string around the 3rd fret, so practice being able to do them there first.
Old 2011-09-03, 07:41   Link #1887
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

yes, indeed. a pinch harmonic on the 22nd fret does sound really far-fetched and ridiculous. i mean, that's pretty near the bridge. and the shorter the distance that the string can resonate from the bridge, the less power it has. i keep on producing weak harmonics there, even with vibrato. (and i produce typically fine ones further down the fretboard, like the 12th fret). and my rig is really retarded and weak. sigh... (i envy you guys....)
well, gonna sort this out. or just improvise on something... any tips guys?

oh yeah. i want to share my cover here. done this a month and a half ago, but only took me this time to edit it so that youtube won't block it. so what do you think?

Spoiler for cover:

i have to really distort the background sound. well i had no other choice. but it's sweet, like Honey and Tea kind of sweet...
(just tell me if the audio is muted again, or the video is blocked, again)
Old 2011-09-03, 07:52   Link #1888
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Great job dude, that song's pretty awesome :P You've gotten miles better since your earlier videos. I've subscribed to you on Youtube.

Perhaps you could bypass the copyright detector by leaving a minute of nothingness at the start of the video. I've heard that works.

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2011-09-03 at 18:21.
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 09:52   Link #1889
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Sorry for the double post and bump, but does anyone have any advice for playing the Curry Nochi Rice solo? It's so weird and 'loose' to play...
Old 2011-09-06, 03:05   Link #1890
trenton_dawn
Silt

What do you mean 'loose'? Hmm...I found there wasn't much in particular to watch out for except for a couple of bends and use of the wah pedal.
Old 2011-09-06, 13:12   Link #1891
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

I can't really describe it. I think it's because of how it's all over the place and there's a load of weird alt picking in it. My tab might be wrong though.
Old 2011-09-06, 13:45   Link #1892
trenton_dawn
Silt

IIRC last time I played it I got lazy and did all downpicking. Will have to take another look later.
Old 2011-09-06, 15:06   Link #1893
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

I think most of it is down to me not being able to play fast enough for it. I still need to work a lot on my soloing techniques

I also had a go at the (good) Fuwa Fuwa time solo. See if you can spot anything wrong with how I'm playing.

http://soundcloud.com/bsmoked/fuwa-fuwa

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2011-09-06 at 16:04.
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 02:30   Link #1894
trenton_dawn
Silt

Joyful Todays is done. For some irritating reason none of the synths or wah usage are labeled on this one so I had to listen very closely. The keyboard part was also very intricate. The song was worth it, though. Starting on Shiny GEMS next.

Last edited by trenton_dawn; 2011-09-07 at 02:45.
Old 2011-09-07, 08:42   Link #1895
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg View Post
Great job dude, that song's pretty awesome :P You've gotten miles better since your earlier videos. I've subscribed to you on Youtube.

Perhaps you could bypass the copyright detector by leaving a minute of nothingness at the start of the video. I've heard that works.
gee, thanks dude.
(unlike my friend who thinks of me as having skills of a 1 month old guitarist, just because he doesn't like my genre of music. but he can't even read tabs. trying to teach me pinch harmonics well in fact he doesn't know the difference between artificial and natural harmonics) ,
hmmm, a minute of silence? sounds interesting, maybe i could reduce it to 15 sec, hehe.

oh yeah, the Curry Nochi Rice solo, yeah, i find it pretty weird also. (weird like my friend's impromptu solos whenever he shows off his "guitar skills", but his solos were way off the original). you have to use wah there, that's what probably ties it all together. oh yeah, nice fuwa fuwa time solo there. uhmmm, spot the wrong? uhmm, you didn't bent the 1 st string 22nd fret? (of course i could be wrong)

oh yeah, thanks trenton for the tabs..... really great job...

(hey, i just noticed, when you scroll this page, the avatars look really alike, haha)
Old 2011-09-08, 16:19   Link #1896
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
(unlike my friend who thinks of me as having skills of a 1 month old guitarist, just because he doesn't like my genre of music. but he can't even read tabs. trying to teach me pinch harmonics well in fact he doesn't know the difference between artificial and natural harmonics)
I hate people that slag off your playing because they don't like what you're playing (My friend does it to my videos) Just ignore him, if you enjoy what you do then he has no right to tell you you suck :P
Old 2011-09-08, 18:22   Link #1897
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg View Post
I think most of it is down to me not being able to play fast enough for it. I still need to work a lot on my soloing techniques

I also had a go at the (good) Fuwa Fuwa time solo. See if you can spot anything wrong with how I'm playing.

http://soundcloud.com/bsmoked/fuwa-fuwa
What's wrong with the other Fuwa Fuwa solo? lol
Old 2011-09-08, 23:49   Link #1898
chubi23

my HTT cover...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWIaBh9TpFU
Old 2011-09-12, 10:18   Link #1899
trenton_dawn
Silt

Shiny GEMS is done. starting on Jump next.
Old 2011-09-13, 11:17   Link #1900
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Does anyone have a Guitar Pro tab for Oh my Giita? I can barely hear the guitar in the song, so a GP one would be incredibly useful.