AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-28, 00:42   Link #21
dnab
anime berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Did you just say, "Human iPhone"?
omfg...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Kyon is a Time Lord and Mikuru is his TARDIS.
Actually Mikuru is the Time Lord, Side Kick, and the TARDIS. We are talking about (technological) singularity in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
All these technologies are already being researched and developed.
... by the Tsuruya-clan?

This might be really stretching it. But regardless of reasons, Tsuruya and Mikuru being in same grade and good friends, and subsequent interactions with SOS/Kyon, may not be entirely coincidental. (It's implied Mikuru had spent a year in North High prior to Haruhi and Kyon's arrival.) Being a time traveler Mikuru could have been inserted into any school year, but she's a year ahead of Haruhi & Kyon, her otherwise primary mission objectives. Could she have arrived early to build rapport with Tsuruya? Why? Naze? Unless the Tsuruya has a factor in her future, technology and/or Kyon-wise. This is a Harem story, afterall.
Old 2009-06-28, 00:45   Link #22
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
This might be really stretching it. But regardless of reasons, Tsuruya and Mikuru being in same grade and good friends, and subsequent interactions with SOS/Kyon, may not be entirely coincidental. (It's implied Mikuru had spent a year in North High prior to Haruhi and Kyon's arrival.) Being a time traveler Mikuru could have been inserted into any school year, but she's a year ahead of Haruhi & Kyon, her otherwise primary mission objectives. Could she have arrived early to build rapport with Tsuruya? Why? Naze? Unless the Tsuruya has a factor in her future, technology and/or Kyon-wise. This is a Harem story, afterall.
Harem elements. Haruhi is a sci-fi comedy story.

And yeah, I can totally see a "TSURUYA CORP." in the future.
Old 2009-06-28, 01:39   Link #23
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
This is a Harem story, afterall.
Quote:
... this reminds me of something...

Quote:
"The SOS Brigade is not, and never will be a harem!"
"I heard that the SOS Brigade is looking for more harem members. Is the position of 'epitome of Japanese femininity' still open?"
"Sure!"
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-06-28, 01:46   Link #24
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
... by the Tsuruya-clan?
Watch 'Next World' on Discovery Channel, you'll see how low tech most science fiction stories are. Many of these futuristic technologies being researched on makes reality more fantastic than fiction.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-28, 01:51   Link #25
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Scientists caught up with the writers is all...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-06-28, 01:55   Link #26
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The only limit on what we can accomplish is our imagination, right?

Although, I suspect one reason that a lot of new technology and science aren't being used in recent sci-fi is because they're inconvenient to storytelling...
Old 2009-06-28, 02:08   Link #27
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea those new technologies are being used in everyday life, which doesn't really add to a sci-fi plot lol

Some stuff I saw on the show include instantly transmitting data from one person to next just by touch. The human body is a good conductor of electricity, you can easily transmit gigabytes or even terabytes from a single touch. This is just like Mikuru.

Combined with all the brain implants, wireless brain signals, brain internets, saving brain memories as computer data etc, you can become Mikuru without time traveling.

Rearranging data to form stuff like Yuki? Look up Nanomachines and Claytonics, they will create anything from nothing or something to something else. They even claim that soon you can look up the internets and 'print' anything you want from online shops. You pay the blue prints and your Nanomachine printer will construct anything you bought, including your meals.

Old 2009-06-28, 02:12   Link #28
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I'd hate to get hit with an e-mail bomb, then
Old 2009-06-28, 02:12   Link #29
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:

And yeah, I can totally see a "TSURUYA CORP." in the future.
Uh. There is a Tsuruya Dept. Store in Fukuoka. Yeah.
Old 2009-06-28, 02:14   Link #30
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
saving brain memories as computer data
As a psychology student, I can tell you that nothing really valuable is going to come from that. Our memories... are not the most accurate of data recorders...

I suppose it would be very useful for conceptualizing things you imagine, though.

The next step up from that would be using VR technology and the like to construct entire universes from the images in your brain.

In the future, you too can be Haruhi Suzumiya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Uh. There is a Tsuruya Dept. Store in Fukuoka. Yeah.
They're totally working undercover with the Agency to produce nanotech.

Actually, I wonder if her name is an intentional reference, then... but then again, Fukuoka is nowhere near Nishinomiya.
Old 2009-06-28, 02:16   Link #31
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

But then... anyone could be. Doesn't that take the fun out of it?
Old 2009-06-28, 02:21   Link #32
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There's probably no such thing as concept or drafts anymore in the future, you link your imagination to the computer and it will create your product immediately with nanomachines lol

You won't be Haruhi yet, but you'll be very close to doing what data entities can do.

Old 2009-06-28, 03:08   Link #33
dnab
anime berkeley

Be very careful ppl, or the Ontology Deportation Officers may want to check your ID's.

But while we're at it, the way I'm envisioning the Mikuru future is that their bodies have already been genetically modified be receptive to programming. And without resorting to invasive technologies such as nanobots, implants, etc., someone can just shoot a program over and rewire internal circuitry to "create an app" for that body.

One possible reason why Mikuru wants to keep her "device usage" a secret, esp. with Kyon, is perhaps instead of "not wanting to show Kyon how the machine works," it's "not want to freak Kyon out because there are no machines." Might not be the future he wants.
Old 2009-06-28, 10:53   Link #34
mitsuganae

Not so sure where to post this query, so mods please feel free to move or delete (and apologies in advance), but ...

Spoiler:

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2009-06-28 at 12:04.
Old 2009-06-28, 14:37   Link #35
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
Not so sure where to post this query, so mods please feel free to move or delete (and apologies in advance), but ...

Spoiler:
This is pretty much implied by the novels themselves, yeah.

Also, I'm sure that she knew two things: a) That they would get into a time loop, and b) That they would get out.

She just didn't know when it would end. I imagine she woke up at the start of each loop thinking: "Maybe THIS time. Maybe THIS time..."

She can't do anything to speed it up or stop it, however. Because, after all, the future has already happened, and if one knows the future...

Her duty is to observe, after all.
Old 2009-06-28, 14:48   Link #36
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
This is pretty much implied by the novels themselves, yeah.

Also, I'm sure that she knew two things: a) That they would get into a time loop, and b) That they would get out.

She just didn't know when it would end. I imagine she woke up at the start of each loop thinking: "Maybe THIS time. Maybe THIS time..."

She can't do anything to speed it up or stop it, however. Because, after all, the future has already happened, and if one knows the future...

Her duty is to observe, after all.
That makes sense. I believe if she didn't know they would get out eventually, after 15,498 times she would have taken countermeasures.
I do think she's able to counter Haruhi's powers to some extent. Even if her duty is to observe, she would not achieve anything if she isn't ever coming out of the loop.
Old 2009-06-28, 22:38   Link #37
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post

Spoiler:
Contributed?

I dunno, since to her it probably felt like the future was set in stone and regardless of what she did, it was bound to happen, whether she liked it or not.

during the 15000+ iterations of Endless8 she porbably felt bored but maybe relieved because the due date of December 18th was extended... almost like assignment/report due and getting a 594 year extension.
Old 2009-06-29, 21:55   Link #38
Archaic

Quote:
... by the Tsuruya-clan?
IIRC, that kid who Kyon saved from getting run over in The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, who he gave the turtle to in Intrigues, and who is lucky enough to have Haruhi as his home tutor, was credited somewhere as being the one who came up with the theories behind the TPDD, wasn't he?
Old 2009-06-29, 23:38   Link #39
dnab
anime berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
IIRC, that kid who Kyon saved from getting run over in The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, who he gave the turtle to in Intrigues, and who is lucky enough to have Haruhi as his home tutor, was credited somewhere as being the one who came up with the theories behind the TPDD, wasn't he?
Yes the yet-to-be-named Father of Time Travel will indeed become .... the Father of Time Travel. He'll at least lay down the theoretical foundation, though I'm not sure if he'll invent the TPDD. Yuki seems not too fond of this particular technology.

[I must say if someone tells me she's going to use a Time Plane Destruction Device on me, I'd think twice regardless of how cute she looks.]

We were referring to the (implied) technology which seems to integrate devices into human physiology, and the possibility that the Tsuruya-clan could have something to do with that leading into Mikuru's future. No proof other than 1) Mikuru seems to time travel at will, despite repeat cloths changes, 2) communicate with future at will, 3) Mikuru a close friend with Tsuruya seeming too coincidental.

Blame Kadokawa for fans overanalyzing. If they'd just serve up vol.10 and beyond, we fans would just shut up and read, and none of this would become necessary.
Old 2009-06-30, 22:52   Link #40
Sir Jeeves

Quote:
Blame Kadokawa for fans overanalyzing. If they'd just serve up vol.10 and beyond, we fans would just shut up and read, and none of this would become necessary.
On another note, do you really think that there will be a "beyond"? I've been under the impression that the next book will be the conclusion.
Closed Thread