AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-03-10, 15:42   Link #241
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Fern winning with just basic magic was nice, sure the other spells look cool but if all you need are shields and magic bolts to overwhelm your opponent then no fancy magic can keep you safe.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-10, 16:16   Link #242
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fern is pretty much a prodigy and she hasn't even realized it. Most mages don't have nearly enough mana to spam basic magic bolts the way she does. And she can disappear her presence to the point not even seasoned mages can detect her.

The reason she doesn't realize how strong she really is probably because her master is Frieren.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-11, 16:53   Link #243
DragonOsman
Dragon King
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Age: 32
^Yep. That's it.

Fern's choice of words when she answered the question that girl she was fighting asked her seemed like the kind that could make her come off as looking down on others, so I'm kind of worried about how she'll be viewed. But people need to understand that that way of fighting, where you don't use flashy attacks unless you really need to, is best--especially for very powerful mages when they want to conserve energy. Currently in the story, mages are too focused on showing off what they can do and that could be wasteful.
__________________
DragonOsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-11, 17:27   Link #244
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'm not sure if it's because Fern's a prodigy and basic moves are the best use of her high stats to overpower opponents, or because Frieren concluded, after watching modern mages, that it was the best style to defeat them in general. (What I mean is, if she'd had a different student, would she have taught them something else?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-11, 19:56   Link #245
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
We haven't answered the question on how Fern was able to capture Stille unnoticed. Frieren, on the other hand, capture it with someone notices it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-11, 23:52   Link #246
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Fern is pretty much a prodigy and she hasn't even realized it. Most mages don't have nearly enough mana to spam basic magic bolts the way she does. And she can disappear her presence to the point not even seasoned mages can detect her.

The reason she doesn't realize how strong she really is probably because her master is Frieren.
It's also because she's an orphan who spent most of her life away from human civilization.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 03:21   Link #247
DragonOsman
Dragon King
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Age: 32
@Anh_Minh: Yeah, it's probably both the fact that she's a prodigy and what you said. Fern said it's the best style to use against mages of this era according to Frieren, but Frieren herself also seems like the type of mage to conserve energy and use basic magic instead of wasting power by relying on huge and flashy attacks. The mages of this era in the story do the latter so Frieren's style is perfect against them.

@Shadow5YA: Yeah, that's a factor too.
__________________
DragonOsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 13:50   Link #248
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not sure if it's because Fern's a prodigy and basic moves are the best use of her high stats to overpower opponents, or because Frieren concluded, after watching modern mages, that it was the best style to defeat them in general. (What I mean is, if she'd had a different student, would she have taught them something else?)
But putting what she was taught aside, the other girl was expecting Fern to run out of mana for spamming basic magic non-stop, but it didn't happen. That confirms Fern has significantly more mana than your average mage. If that's not raw talent then what is it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
We haven't answered the question on how Fern was able to capture Stille unnoticed. Frieren, on the other hand, capture it with someone notices it.
Well, the mercenary guy said he couldn't detect Fern's presence at all. That give us a clue how she managed to capture the bird. She probably did it the same way Frieren did.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 14:33   Link #249
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But putting what she was taught aside, the other girl was expecting Fern to run out of mana for spamming basic magic non-stop, but it didn't happen. That confirms Fern has significantly more mana than your average mage. If that's not raw talent then what is it?
Training and experience? Not every mage has been taught to conceal and control their mana like Freiren and Fern have.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 14:54   Link #250
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Training and experience? Not every mage has been taught to conceal and control their mana like Freiren and Fern have.
If I remember correctly, in this series mana increases with accumulation of training across long spans of time. That's why Aura was so sure to beat Frieren with her 500 years of age.

Fern is still too young for her training to make any difference in that regard. Her training surely played a big part in her ability to disappear her presence, but her abnormally big mana pool is more likely to be raw talent, imo.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 15:09   Link #251
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If I remember correctly, in this series mana increases with accumulation of training across long spans of time. That's why Aura was so sure to beat Frieren with her 500 years of age.

Fern is still too young for her training to make any difference in that regard. Her training surely played a big part in her ability to disappear her presence, but her abnormally big mana pool is more likely to be raw talent, imo.
Flamme had an ordinary human lifespan but was able to overpower demons far older than her.

Of course the more time spent the better, but it's also highly unlikely that any other mages have done the same type of training Fern, Frieren, and Flamme have. It's been shown that their style of magic has been fairly secretive from the world in order to prevent demons from learning about it.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 15:18   Link #252
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Is she too young though? Again, there's no telling whether any of the other mages have done the same training as Freiren and Fern (more than likely not).
But mana doesn't increase based on the sort of training you do. At the very least the manga never said that. It did say, however, that accumulation of training (as in how many years you've been training) increases your manga. It's all about the time you spent in your training, not what sort of training you were doing. And I don't think 10 or so years of training is nearly enough to make any difference.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 17:36   Link #253
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

Well, the mercenary guy said he couldn't detect Fern's presence at all. That give us a clue how she managed to capture the bird. She probably did it the same way Frieren did.
She did better than Frieren since she wasn't tracked on the first day when she captures Stille. Frieren did emit her magic when capturing Stille.

It makes me wonder if Fren actually can surpass Frieren in the future.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-14, 10:13   Link #254
DragonOsman
Dragon King
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Age: 32
@Shadow5YA: Flamme is a legend. She probably had greater talent than most, too.

@Kazu-kun: Even if the manga didn't mention it, I think it's possible that both the type of training one days and the amount of time they spend training has an effect on the amount of mana one has. I could be wrong, but at least it does make some sense if you look at Flamme, Frieren and Fern.
__________________
DragonOsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-16, 12:26   Link #255
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
I can’t find a suitable thread to post this, might as well be here.

Frieren wins 14th (2021) manga taisho awards

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...awards/.170587

With it Vis announces it will release the English version this fall.

manga taisho awards works this way, judges each choose 3 titles from the qualify titles which made it to the second round, with 1st place 3 points, 2nd place 2 points. 3rd place 1 point.

Full top 10 list
https://www.mangataisho.com

Highlight

- Frieren blows away the second place title『チ。―地球の運動について―』91 points to 67 points.

- Wayama Yama
https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=41865
places two titles on the top ten, 『カラオケ行こ!』(Karaoke Iko! ) At 3rd place and 『女の園の星』(Onna no Sono no Hoshi ) 7th, the same two titles also place 1st and 5th places for the 2020 “Kono Manga ga Sugoi!” Award women version.

- SJ has two titles, 『Monster #8』 at 6th and 『SPY×FAMILY』at 10th, it is also the second year in a row 『SPY』made the list this time with 38 points.

It sure looks like Frieren vs. Kimetsu no Yaiba for this year’s Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize.

Personally I know 4 of the top 10, this gives me some titles to look forward to, how many do you guys know?
__________________
2022 Spring: Book Worm 3, GITS: SAC_2045 2, Komi-san 2,
Otome Games, Shenmue, Skeleton Knight, Spy x Family.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-16, 15:34   Link #256
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Damn, Fern might be more OP than I thought. Look at the mark her "basic" attack left on the ground.

And Frieren is kind of a ditz when her curiosity for magic kicks in. I love her.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-16, 16:18   Link #257
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I can't help but laugh that after the beating they got then they got the bird by pure chance.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-17, 05:33   Link #258
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Well, got for SnF to win that price, will make it more known, get more sales and surely an anime as well. Guess the Judges really liked the "regret&memory" part of the story of an ageless Elf surviving its hero party and the world slowly forgetting about their deeds while she lives on and remembers.

I really wonder how that bird did not fly away when they run away all the time. Like was all three mages magic so low they barely registered on the radar? And how did the actually kind merc mage know of the bird capture magic? I thought that was rare knowledge.

Next chapter/s will be about Frieren and friends vs Denken and cohorts. Gonna be interesting for sure, hope Denken is someone who knows history a bit and actually knows about Frieren.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-17, 07:06   Link #259
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
I really wonder how that bird did not fly away when they run away all the time. Like was all three mages magic so low they barely registered on the radar? And how did the actually kind merc mage know of the bird capture magic? I thought that was rare knowledge.
His schtick is a more generic capture magic, which I guess also works on birds.

But yes, why didn't the bird fly away? I could buy that the other two mages were too exhausted to emit magic, but what about the guy?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2021-03-17 at 09:42.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-17, 09:38   Link #260
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Same reason Squirrels don't run until you get too close. It was in a tree and they were on the ground. It has no reason to flee until they direct their attention it and the moment he locked eyes on one, it was over. The main issue was that they never found one to capture so they went after someone who had.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, after victory, demons, elf, elf life, eternity, hero party

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.