AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-15, 11:22   Link #201
RDNexus

Given how easily they're hinting us on who the killer may be, I guess the main objective of this story is not who's the killer but how will Satoru stop him in his tracks and save the "potential victims".
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 11:23   Link #202
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Just put it under spoiler tags. I want to know too. As long as the anime has shown it, anything is fair.

Spoiler for OP discussion:

After closer inspection of the OP, I think it did give away who the killer is.

Spoiler for Possible spoilers:

The age pretty much inclines it is the teacher. Especially given that he also wore a suit.
However the point where we are at cannot yet be described as eaarly part of the story so we can't say for sure yet. There is still a lot of time for character introduction and OP changes

My guess is that he will save Kayo and his mother then Airi will die and he has to re-do everything again until the entire mystery is solved and everyone saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Given how easily they're hinting us on who the killer may be, I guess the main objective of this story is not who's the killer but how will Satoru stop him in his tracks and save the "potential victims".
I think it is still supposed to be a mystery, so there will probably be something to think aout

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 11:26   Link #203
GDB

Quote:
"potential victims"
Wonder if he even remembers who the other victim was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
My guess is that he will save Kayo and his mother then Airi will die and he has to re-do everything again until the entire mystery is solved and everyone saved.
Please no. I already watched that show.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 11:35   Link #204
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wonder if he even remembers who the other victim was.

Please no. I already watched that show.
- Except you didn't watch one of them

As for the other victim: If I had to guess it is probably one of his friends, since his mother wanted to make him forget about it.
That would also explain why 'Yuuki' got suspected.

Edit: meh half the text got lost, right before the first paragraph it should say 'You watched it twice: Steins;Gate and Umineko'

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2016-01-15 at 19:59.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 11:41   Link #205
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
It's hard to tell with only two episodes, but I feel the story is supposed to be character driven. Satoru wasn't in a very good place in the present and it was clear he needed to change. I was actually surprised when this episode revealed he had always been "fake" even as a kid. I thought it was the incident that broke him.
Old 2016-01-15, 12:57   Link #206
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Anime spoilers you assume or one from a manga reader up to ch42?
Spoilers from a manga reader. Don't worry though, I know how to keep my mouth shut and not give out any hints
Old 2016-01-15, 13:20   Link #207
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Just put it under spoiler tags. I want to know too. As long as the anime has shown it, anything is fair.

Spoiler for speculation:
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 16:28   Link #208
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for the episode itself, man, as a childhood friend shipper, I SHOULD be ecstatic about MC/Kayo. But the MC keeps harping on and on about how he should save his mom, and that him saving Kayo is somewhat connected to saving his mom, and that his biggest regret is not coming home with her, that it's hard to even think that he likes her romantically even a bit. It doesn't help that the other kids keep teasing about him liking Kayo, which makes it even more apparent that he is not doing all these for romantic reasons.

I dunno, there just isn't any 'moe' at all right now. Which I guess is the point, but it's hard to ship Kayo with him as of now due to Satoru's mild Oedipus Complex.
First off, I'm not picking the slightest bit of Oedipus in him. If you'd been feeling unhappy with the distance between you and a parent, saw that parent killed, and then had a chance to go back, wouldn't your mom be really far at the forefront in your mind? I only saw a guy wanting to take advantage of his chance to improve his relationship with his mother so it wouldn't be so cold, as well as catch the killer before he could get to his mom. This isn't crushing on his mother, it's just loving her and wanting to protect her from a very real danger as any proper son should.

As for Kayo, I'd say there's going to be a strong puppy love thing going, but I don't know if they'd actually get together in the future. It'd be cool, but it'd probably only work if he gets to live all the way back to his "present" without any jumps or issues. Not to mention that I think I'll mainly ship on a girl who literally doesn't exist yet. Kind of unusual, since I too am very big on the idea of childhood friend romance, especially where there's hints at the affections beginning back in grade school.

I'm still wondering if they'll give more details about the crimes. I don't know what was meant by "spoilers" in the opening, but I did notice it shows Kayo's body for a second, and the fact that she appears to be wearing just a slip does suggest the obvious. At least it looked like a slip, and I doubt she'd use something like that as anything but underclothes considering that it doesn't cover her thighs. I was hoping this wasn't the case, partly because I don't want to think of the characters going through that too, and partly because almost every serial child murder I've seen in fiction lately is like that. I imagine a significant portion of actual serial child murder cases involve this as well, but still.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 16:32   Link #209
j4c06

Quote:
I was actually surprised when this episode revealed he had always been "fake" even as a kid. I thought it was the incident that broke him.
Of course, he is also "fake" in the sense that he is not quite who he is supposed to be, thanks to his post-incident knowledge. For a moment I thought the girl sensed that, and even that she might be having a "revival", too.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 16:37   Link #210
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Of course, he is also "fake" in the sense that he is not quite who he is supposed to be, thanks to his post-incident knowledge. For a moment I thought the girl sensed that, and even that she might be having a "revival", too.
Well it's not just that. He specifically said that even when he was a real kid he tended to put on a mask that he thought others would want to see in order to try and be friends with others. So it's not just his true age and knowledge through Revival, she's noticed in general that he is and has been a fake. And he also has always been awkward, considering that the girl next to him immediately guesses that he might have a thing for Kayo on account of the fact that they're both "weird".
Old 2016-01-15, 16:51   Link #211
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

He thinks he has gone back to save his Mom. But I think saving Kayo will become important to him, too. And quite possibly Kayo's disappearance and his mother's death are linked, perhaps by some connexion the mother had to the culprit. He certainly seemed to have come to the apartment specifically to kill her.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 19:14   Link #212
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Quote:

I think (and hope) they are throwing us off the scent...
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 19:42   Link #213
ghost013

Watched the first episode, very interesting premise. The characters have very distinct voices and animation was pretty solid. Sad to see the mom's fate, but I'm intrigued by the mystery.
Old 2016-01-15, 21:01   Link #214
Irenesharda

Quote:
It's hard to tell with only two episodes, but I feel the story is supposed to be character driven. Satoru wasn't in a very good place in the present and it was clear he needed to change. I was actually surprised when this episode revealed he had always been "fake" even as a kid. I thought it was the incident that broke him.
Well, think closely as to what type of person he is in present day. He's a loner, he doesn't even talk to or see his mom much. In one scene he even talks about the fact that if he died, it wouldn't matter. In a review I did for the premiere, I brought up the fact that at that point he reminded me of George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life, and that he didn't realize how much influence he really had on others.

All the friends he used to have, he no longer does. In fact, he as none now. It's like he closed himself off at some point. I think he used that fake persona as a child in order to get friends, but once the murders happened he didn't think it was worth it and dropped it and secluded himself. Remember that it was Yuuki who told him to do this, I think his being arrested and everything that followed really changed Satoru.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 21:40   Link #215
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
He thinks he has gone back to save his Mom. But I think saving Kayo will become important to him, too. And quite possibly Kayo's disappearance and his mother's death are linked, perhaps by some connexion the mother had to the culprit. He certainly seemed to have come to the apartment specifically to kill her.
It was made pretty clear that his mother's killer was the kidnapper and murderer from his childhood. She saw him, he recognized her and dropped his abduction attempt, and later she went through the files concerning the kidnapping incident and realized that the man she saw was the kidnapper/murderer. Then, as she lies dying, she remarks "I knew it" as she looks at her killer's face, then tries to call Satoru because she now knows that he was right all along about Yuuki not being the killer. I can't think of any way that series of events would string together coherently unless the guy that kidnapped and killed the kids was also the one who killed her. So yes, I'd say it's highly likely that Kayo's death is linked to Satoru's mother's death and her knowing the murderer, and considering that he's shown stalking them before he goes after her, I'd say it's pretty fair to assume that he did indeed go to the apartment specifically to kill her. Whether he was planning to frame Satoru to get rid of his risk as well or that was just dumb luck I don't know.
Old 2016-01-15, 23:25   Link #216
Yamada II

Episode 2
That amazing OP. Still doesn’t beat Dimension W's though, but nevertheless it's amazing.

Quite a lot of interesting stuff here. Satoru first tries to figure out why the hell did he go into 1988 from 2006. He then concludes that he has to fix his relations – appreciate his mom more to be specific. Along with that, he has to save Kayo because he really thought later on that he could have saved her so he wants to take care of that good. Also, he has to get the real kidnapper caught and get that kidnapping case solved for good.

Satoru over here, is an adult in an elementary schoolers body so he is quite mature. And that's probably the reason why Kenya thinks he's a bit off. Kenya most likely knows that Satoru isn't being himself and also figured out that he doesn't really have the hots for Kayo as opposed to what the other kids are thinking.

One thing which caught my attention is the unusual amount of focus that Airi girl got in the OP. It shows that she isn't just a one-off character (unless they're doing that because she's the only female in the show apart from the mother and Kayo). I'm thinking that she will have a more important role later on. One thing I thought of is that she could be Satoru's daughter. Kinda like the Natsu no Arashi logic of time travel (or whatever fancy name it has) – everything has already happened and you're not exactly changing the future (or something like that). Kayo survives, marries Satoru, and they have that Airi girl. Sounds possible to me. Airi even said somethingsimilar to what Kayo said later on (or earlier, or whatever). Anywho, time will tell. speculation based on anime only. I'm not sure if anyone else said it here or not because I didn't read all the posts and just copy pasted this post of mine from another place

So Satoru is fixing things in the past, but after that what will happen? Will he have to go through those 18 or so years again? Sounds like a big pain in the ass to me.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 23:26   Link #217
ReddyRedWolf

Smooth Satoru real smooth. Kayo route unlocked.

But his real objective is to save Mom, save Kayo, save his classmate, catch the killer. On the later part he may have a problem but it seems Kenya has the brains of an observant detective.

This is sorta like Cased Closed except the MC isn't Conan that went from being older to a kid and murders hasn't happened yet due to time travel.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 00:31   Link #218
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

You don't need the OP to figure out who the killer is as we saw him in episode one the same time his mother saw him. They prevented the killer's recent attempt at abducting a girl so we got a good look at him. Then, we got a good look at him in the past. There was only one person who fits the bill and had access to kids back then.

Since we ID'd the killer, the show is prob more about how Satoru prevents the killing and changes fate to save his mom.
Old 2016-01-16, 01:38   Link #219
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Totally cheering on the protagonist. Relive your childhood, save your mom, and get yourself a girl. And maybe find out who the criminal is.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 02:01   Link #220
Dr. Casey

Quote:
That was really surprising to me as well. He was already kind of an old soul back in 1988, while I'd taken his much more cheerful persona at face value.

It was fun getting to know Satoru's old circle of friends I headcanon Kazu as being the father of Poppo from AnoHana. The dated JRPG conversations were a nice feature; Final Fantasy was a baby RPG series at this point at only two months old, and Dragon Quest III was brand new with a release date of February 10th 1988.

I also enjoyed the scenes with Satoru and his mother. 1988 has to feel really safe for him in that respect, being in a time where his mom has 18 more years of being alive and well. And Kayo's as interesting a character as I expected. The poem was definitely one of the best parts of the episode.