AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2017-02-17, 01:37   Link #61
Key Board
Carbon

The "problem" with NK is the potential refugee problem into SK when the regime implodes

I don't think either China or SK really wants to deal with that
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 03:12   Link #62
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The "problem" with NK is the potential refugee problem into SK when the regime implodes

Whether they want to deal with it or not, you yourself admit that the regime will implode at some point. It is a matter of when.

It is always good to have a plan.
Old 2017-02-17, 06:09   Link #63
Draco Spirit

It's pretty obvious North Korea going to fall to pieces at some point. No one wants it to happen because it likely to end explosively violently with a massive refuge crises..... but no one want a nutjob with nukes and the mindset to fire them either.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 23:07   Link #64
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kim Jong-nam death suspect 'thought she was in TV prank'
Old 2017-02-18, 03:15   Link #65
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What, like an episode of Punk'd gone deadly?
Old 2017-02-18, 04:24   Link #66
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:

I think the "One China" stuff and other disputes in the region highlight exactly why none of those countries are really wanting to do anything about North Korea.
Old 2017-02-18, 10:57   Link #67
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wldE_4xjVQ

Anyway, best cover story ever
Old 2017-02-22, 09:20   Link #68
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kim Jong-nam killing: Senior N Korea diplomat named as suspect

I wonder if this will cause a strain between Malaysia and North Korea if the former is force to take action to find the suspects?
Old 2017-02-22, 10:30   Link #69
Key Board
Carbon

what does a non-despot country like Malaysia benefit from having a NK embassy on their soil
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-22, 11:07   Link #70
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
what does a non-despot country like Malaysia benefit from having a NK embassy on their soil
According to Wikipedia, after the split of North and South there was a rush from North Korea to obtain recognition as the "True Korea" by putting Embassies where it can. This includes most of Asia. But in the end most nations just accepted both Koreas separately.

North Korea wasn't strong enough to be able to demand that South Korea be not existing, unlike with Chinas policies.
Old 2017-02-23, 03:38   Link #71
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

North Korea condemns Malaysia: North Korea has said Malaysia is responsible for the death of one of its citizens and is attempting to politicise the return of his body.

North Korea is just asking for trouble in they're treating Malaysia like that. Not only are they lying on how Kim Jong-nam died but also accusing Malaysia of killing him?
Old 2017-02-23, 03:49   Link #72
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
North Korea condemns Malaysia: North Korea has said Malaysia is responsible for the death of one of its citizens and is attempting to politicise the return of his body.

North Korea is just asking for trouble in they're treating Malaysia like that. Not only are they lying on how Kim Jong-nam died but also accusing Malaysia of killing him?
North Korea probably can't publicly admit they ordered the assassination. Killing one's brother looks bad in any century for a ruler. But everyone knows that no one else on Earth wanted the guy dead. The outrage is just for looks.

North Korea still need to keep up appearances, they can't actually truly throw it all away and admit they are in a monarchy.
Old 2017-02-23, 17:12   Link #73
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
North Korea probably can't publicly admit they ordered the assassination. Killing one's brother looks bad in any century for a ruler. But everyone knows that no one else on Earth wanted the guy dead. The outrage is just for looks.

North Korea still need to keep up appearances, they can't actually truly throw it all away and admit they are in a monarchy.
That's what they are. Only a person with no concept about how monarchy works would not get this fact. It's also the reason why I believe anyone who wants to get rid of a vital part of the regime would have to make sure the Kims' direct bloodline dies, almost in the same way some countries have destroyed their own monarchies in the past.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 18:52   Link #74
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

no one ever criticize Simon Lee for killing his brothers.

and Killing ones brothers for the throne is time honor traditional of Mughal Empire.
Old 2017-02-23, 21:03   Link #75
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
no one ever criticize Simon Lee for killing his brothers.

and Killing ones brothers for the throne is time honor traditional of Mughal Empire.
Well I know that Sultans had been expected to kill their siblings to prevent civil war. But a surprising many cultures still looked down on killing rival family members. In Ancient China and much of Medieval Europe, it had been more common to just imprison one's relatives instead of killing them.

Quote:
It's also the reason why I believe anyone who wants to get rid of a vital part of the regime would have to make sure the Kims' direct bloodline dies
No, that's not how it works. If you just want to remove a dynasty you just had to de-legitimise them. That was how the German Royal Family got removed. They didn't die, they just lost their titles. You only needed to kill the dynasty if you want to replace them as king.

Only NK would have wanted and needed the brother dead. Anyone who wanted NK government to change would have prefer the brother around for symbolic transition.
Old 2017-02-23, 21:46   Link #76
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

http://www.koreaboo.com/news/alleged...g-uns-brother/

LOOOLLLOLL

Either her main role was to recruit south koreans and got shoehorned into assassination because reasons....or she seriously got tricked into participating in a "prank"

Actually checking out the actual links....I kind of incline to the latter.... at the very least if her FB page is meant as a honeypot....it sucks. It's far more a personal page than honeypot

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2017-02-23 at 21:57.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-24, 05:46   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kim Jong-nam killing: 'VX nerve agent' found on his face

Ok that is scary. This gives a new light on why North Korea is demanding Malaysia to return the body to them. North Korea used an illegal chemical weapon to assassinate Kim Jong-nam and were trying to cover it up. Malaysia is not gonna be please by this.
Old 2017-02-24, 05:52   Link #78
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Kim Jong-nam killing: 'VX nerve agent' found on his face

Ok that is scary. This gives a new light on why North Korea is demanding Malaysia to return the body to them. North Korea used an illegal chemical weapon to assassinate Kim Jong-nam and were trying to cover it up. Malaysia is not gonna be please by this.
That's almost overkill. But it also makes it more likely that the assassins didn't know they were killing him. Because they were not skilled agents, NK were forced to use a toxin that doesn't take skill to administer.
Old 2017-02-24, 09:01   Link #79
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
That's almost overkill. But it also makes it more likely that the assassins didn't know they were killing him. Because they were not skilled agents, NK were forced to use a toxin that doesn't take skill to administer.
VX doesn't take skill to administer?

If the thing touches your bare skin in even minute amounts, you are dead...

Then again, it's not like they would care about their agents and the best way of killing is still to get someone else to do it for you. I wonder what they would have done had Ms LOL accidentally poisoned herself though..
Old 2017-02-24, 10:12   Link #80
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
VX doesn't take skill to administer?

If the thing touches your bare skin in even minute amounts, you are dead...

Then again, it's not like they would care about their agents and the best way of killing is still to get someone else to do it for you. I wonder what they would have done had Ms LOL accidentally poisoned herself though..
My understanding was that they had two girls precisely because the VX was split into two safer components that was deadly when combined. They each sprayed him once with different bottles.

And the two girls were foreigners and likely prostitutes. They were also not paid very much for it. If they were real assassins they would have demanded to be paid more.