AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-22, 16:41   Link #341
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Personally, I think this series is rather character-centric than plot-centric, ie. it revolves around the characters. And we don get a LOT of character development (which it's good character development or bad ones, that's up to debate). I think this is a case somewhat similar to Gunslinger Girl in that the stories are there to help show the character personality. At least this is the case for the first 7 episodes. I'm not sure whether it will have some grand plot later on or not, but so far I think the main conspiracy plot is actually quite simple that it can be easily concluded in 1 or 2 episodes. For now it's mostly character personality and relation development.
Old 2004-12-22, 23:46   Link #342
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanithro
"Stop whinging that there's no plot. Like you feel cheated when there's no deep intrigue and so on in MariMite."

But you see, I can't feel sincere when I say that either. MariMite isn't actually about plot, it's slice-of-life soap opera which offers surprisingly realistic characters, and in comparison the Strahl lads are so close to cookie-cutter stereotypes that they could form a boy band.
Well... I don't think Marimite is any less stereotypical, really. It's just that Meine Liebe plays up the stiff, ornate, theatrical aspect of things, which tends to detract from the humanity of the characters. Marimite's characters aren't shockingly new or anything, but their emotions are presented in a much more gentle and natural way. The smaller scope seems to allow for more realism and nuance (although up to this point, Meine Liebe's supposedly larger scope has been mostly decoration and insinuation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanithro
Actually, this provides another parallel with MariMite, which features a Token Bishounen character amongst the pretty girls. Perhaps Ishtar/Estelle/Unsure-On-Romajiing-Her-Name is the Token Bishoujo amongst the pretty boys. Hope she turns out to be as evil as her counterpart.
Hahaha, Suguru rocks. Wait... that is his name, right?

The Marimite parallels are fun. At times the Yamiyurikai take themselves almost as seriously as the Strahl candidates, which is amusing and kind of endearing. Meine Liebe's formal atmosphere is another obvious similarity--when I first started watching the show, I kept expecting Orpherus and co. to say "gokigenyo," or perhaps for Ludwig to straighten someone's.... um, cravat.
Old 2004-12-23, 12:18   Link #343
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Well, never watched MariMite, so I have no clue what you're talking about but let's talk about what really matters now, Episode 6

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-23, 13:44   Link #344
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Just saw episode 6--it's the best ep so far, by a long shot. I have to say, watching this has made my respect for the show increase tremendously. Also, Sir Isaac is now my favorite character--he makes the rest of the male leads look like little boys, and I love it. I was not expecting him to judge them so harshly, but his words definitely rang true. Ludwig was also in top form throughout... I particularly relished how he coolly decided
Spoiler:
I really cracked up when he pounced on an opportunity to insult Orphe at the end of the episode. Very funny stuff.

Sir Isaac is a genuinely ambiguous character (can't quite tell whose side he's on), which I appreciate. I can't wait to see more of him and his eternally unbuttoned shirt (the guy looks like a fashion-model-turned-hobo or something, haha).

If the preview is anything to go by, it looks as though episode 7 has exceptionally lovely artwork.
Old 2004-12-23, 14:54   Link #345
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quick question: Does the anime improve after the first episode because I had to force myself to watch it to the end?

"Kingdom of cake", haha
Old 2004-12-23, 20:08   Link #346
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Quick question: Does the anime improve after the first episode because I had to force myself to watch it to the end?

"Kingdom of cake", haha
Not to be sexist or anything, but Ithink it may appeal to more females than males LOL. I like it ^-^ (but I'm female LOL) I'm not sure what ur into ^-^"
Old 2004-12-23, 20:57   Link #347
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:

"Kingdom of cake", haha
If you'd like to give the show a second chance, I'd recommend watching either episode 4 (Naoji) or episode 6 (Sir Isaac)--the first episode should have given you enough knowledge of the cast to understand what's going on. I think Meine Liebe has improved greatly since episode one, which was basically one big roll-call, but I didn't exactly dislike the beginning or anything.

So your mileage might vary. If you found the formality of the series off-putting, know that it doesn't change (although the character interactions do become more revealing and less ritualistic). I think it's part of ML's charm, heh.
Old 2004-12-24, 07:13   Link #348
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
So your mileage might vary. If you found the formality of the series off-putting, know that it doesn't change (although the character interactions do become more revealing and less ritualistic). I think it's part of ML's charm, heh.
Well, at first I thought Meine Liebe would be some kinda romantic anime set in the 17th or 18th century but the moment I saw them using the German language in the most weird way (I mean they are living in the Kingdom of Cake, how can they take themselves serious ) I thought: "Well, you are used to it. Keep watching!"
It went pretty well to the point where they introduced that feminine guy. Not much wrong here but when they talked with the flowers I lost interest and wondered what the hell they were doing in a greenhouse speaking with plants

Nonetheless:

Quote:
If you'd like to give the show a second chance, I'd recommend watching either episode 4 (Naoji) or episode 6 (Sir Isaac)--the first episode should have given you enough knowledge of the cast to understand what's going on. I think Meine Liebe has improved greatly since episode one, which was basically one big roll-call, but I didn't exactly dislike the beginning or anything.
I guess I will try watching both episode 4 and 6 and see if I'll like it better than the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Not to be sexist or anything, but Ithink it may appeal to more females than males LOL. I like it ^-^ (but I'm female LOL) I'm not sure what ur into ^-^"
Hmm, yeah, I realized pretty quickly that this anime was going to be a shoujo but I've watched Marimite (not because of the Yuri undertones) and Kyou Kara Mao (Not really a shoujo, or is it? It contained alot of bishies though) and was not bored from it at all. Meine Liebe is different though
Old 2004-12-24, 12:57   Link #349
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Hmm, yeah, I realized pretty quickly that this anime was going to be a shoujo but I've watched Marimite (not because of the Yuri undertones) and Kyou Kara Mao (Not really a shoujo, or is it? It contained alot of bishies though) and was not bored from it at all. Meine Liebe is different though
Hehe, yeah, Kyou Kara Maou is definitely shoujo.

So far, at least, there isn't that much romance in Meine Liebe (the closest you really get is in episode 2, with Ed and Elaine). The focus seems to be more on the clashing ideals of Orpherus and Ludwig, and all the shadowy conspiracies lurking in the background.
Old 2004-12-26, 20:08   Link #350
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I started watching Rose of Versailles earlier this week, and was immediately struck by some similarities between it and Meine Liebe... not those of content, although the two shows' settings are somewhat analogous. Actually, certain situations in Rose of Versailles (not to mention all the dueling) strongly reminded me of the way that Meine Liebe handles character drama and conflicts. Does anyone else think Meine Liebe's atmosphere/presentation is vaguely similar to that of Rose of Versailles and perhaps other classic shoujo anime?
Old 2004-12-28, 14:17   Link #351
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
I started watching Rose of Versailles earlier this week, and was immediately struck by some similarities between it and Meine Liebe... not those of content, although the two shows' settings are somewhat analogous. Actually, certain situations in Rose of Versailles (not to mention all the dueling) strongly reminded me of the way that Meine Liebe handles character drama and conflicts. Does anyone else think Meine Liebe's atmosphere/presentation is vaguely similar to that of Rose of Versailles and perhaps other classic shoujo anime?
I never saw that one... but I've heard about it! Suposedly it is on the same line and claims to have been an heavilly inspiration for Utena... and yes, I think those three share a lot of similarities, kinda like an old-fashioned classical feeling... I guess it's a kind of characterization that relays much on concepts such as honour and nobility!
Old 2004-12-29, 11:45   Link #352
Lanithro
ridiculous dandy

I’d rather disagree about the Utena comparison. Utena was all about sex and power, or gender and power, depending on how you read it. It was a true morality play, rather than a drama like Meine Liebe. The talk of nobility was just.. in a way.. there to highlight the platonic ideal of the Prince. And Utena isn’t really old-fashioned either- more like outside time (or snagged in the late 80s, depending on how kind you feel like being.)

Moreover, Utena was hopeful. Even as its shadows gathered towards the finale, it was hopeful. Meine Liebe is the opposite, it’s brim-filled with high-grade DOOM- and I’d draw the obvious (slightly lazy) comparison with Brideshead Revisited- bishounen, posh schools, and the creeping reminder that even though things look pretty peachy at the moment there’s always the ‘in Arcadia ego’ so to speak.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the series ended with war as well- and the Strahl lads, having graduated or whatever, went to stand for a photo in military uniform...

...and we all know that photos are bad luck in anime.
Old 2005-01-01, 21:26   Link #353
dreamless

episode 8 is FANTASTIC!!! Well, all episodes showing Ludwig-sama's absolute brilliance are fantastic, but so far this is the greatest episode yet I have to say!
Spoiler for ep8:

Quote:
In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the series ended with war as well- and the Strahl lads, having graduated or whatever, went to stand for a photo in military uniform...
A war in Meine Liebe... hmm... maybe a war where the majority of soldiers are all faceless girls dropping dead like flies? We just need more Revenge of the Males from BeeTrain
Old 2005-01-02, 10:07   Link #354
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
A war in Meine Liebe... hmm... maybe a war where the majority of soldiers are all faceless girls dropping dead like flies? We just need more Revenge of the Males from BeeTrain
Ahahaha.... well, you know, I wouldn't put it past them.

Anyway, it's encouraging that you liked episode 8. Is it totally stand-alone, or is there any plot development?
Old 2005-01-02, 12:07   Link #355
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Spoiler for ep8:
Spoiler:
Old 2005-01-02, 13:32   Link #356
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
Spoiler:
well
Spoiler:
Old 2005-01-02, 14:00   Link #357
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
well
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2005-01-02, 14:37   Link #358
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
Spoiler:
actually
Spoiler:
Old 2005-01-03, 08:32   Link #359
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

... another thing... I've been informed that the "ominous blimp of death" is back by episode 8... so let's see:

Episode 01 - Blimp
Episode 02 - No Blimp
Episode 03 - Blimp
Episode 04 - No Blimp
Episode 05 - Blimp
Episode 06 - No Blimp
Episode 07 - No Blimp
Episode 08 - Blimp

... it can't be like the last theory I thought about then:

Episode 01 - Blimp
Episode 02 - No Blimp - First half (characters episodes)
Episode 03 - Blimp
Episode 04 - No Blimp
Episode 05 - Blimp
Episode 06 - No Blimp
Episode 07 - No Blimp - Middle episode (silly/filler episode? ) acting as a mirror
Episode 08 - No Blimp
Episode 09 - Blimp
Episode 10 - No Blimp
Episode 11 - Blimp
Episode 12 - No Blimp - Second half (plot episodes)
Episode 13 - Blimp

... so, how will it be then? any guesses? maybe I'm trying to hard to get some mathematical logic behind this as far as I know, it could be completely random
Old 2005-01-03, 09:13   Link #360
dreamless

well,
Spoiler:
Closed Thread