AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-08, 13:24   Link #21
Irenesharda

That was better than I thought it would be. I'm always scared of game adaptations, but this one had an interesting start. I really like Aoto the most so far, he's got an interesting personality and is shrouded in mystery, so you don't really know what he's going to do.

The other two kids are okay, but you know what type of people they are the moment you see them.

I'm interested in seeing more.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 14:17   Link #22
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Wow, they're throwing everything in this show.
Phantom boy, mascot, fairies, mysterious council, parallel world, power, tech...

Though I enjoyed it, I still think it's a bit too much. But guess you can compete with all the show around without trying (too hard).
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 15:31   Link #23
Seihai
スマイリウム

Uhm wtf? Did that terrorist guy actually burn down that civilian to nothingness...? And the girl and the woman didn't question that or report it? I kinda cringed when the civilian was treated as if he had never existed before, it was a crast contrast to me when the main characters arrived and then worried like hell over the terrorist's injuries. If I was there I would have been like "oh it's okay he's alive. Don't worry, but maybe you should know that this person just deep fried a human and decomposed his matter completely but hey, everything is daijoubu!"
Old 2016-01-08, 16:46   Link #24
kuromitsu

Wow, this was... so very chuunibyou. From the pretentious narration to the Horribly Tortured Poor Woobie to the Magical High School where our heroes are High School Age Kids With Awesome Supernatural Powers, and will become the Chosen Ones...

Still, it looks decent, if Blue tones down the wangst it may become even decently entertaining (but then we'll lose the awesomely cheesy lines! oh, what to choose). Plus, it has Nakamura Yuuichi in ikemen mode, that's enough for me to keep going for at least one more episode.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 18:15   Link #25
Malicre

Pretty good first episode, cant say if it will be good or bad until i see more.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 18:27   Link #26
Wandering Soul

This pilot episode turned out better than I thought it would. Sorta surprised that they decided to have a terrorist give the exposition.

Aoto seems interesting so far but it is starting to seem like he is giving off a little too much wangst and is trying to be overly edgy. I don't mind finding out more about him, but they should tone it down a little.
Old 2016-01-08, 19:07   Link #27
aakun4

Mixed feelings about the show. Well, actually not so much because in what comes to the content I didn't really like it...

It was pretty much the same usual setting as you would see in a template LN (thankfully without a harem this time, though) with barely anything interesting to keep you hooked. Aoki's backstory was ok, but it doesn't interest me enough to watch the show if its main focus will be taking care of his issues, and which was the impression I got after finishing the episode.

BUT... I'm SO in love with the color palate and the character designs of this show that I still want to give it a chance. Hopefully it shows signs of an actual plot in the following eps, but honestly I'm not expecting much...
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 02:04   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Uhm wtf? Did that terrorist guy actually burn down that civilian to nothingness...? And the girl and the woman didn't question that or report it? I kinda cringed when the civilian was treated as if he had never existed before, it was a crast contrast to me when the main characters arrived and then worried like hell over the terrorist's injuries. If I was there I would have been like "oh it's okay he's alive. Don't worry, but maybe you should know that this person just deep fried a human and decomposed his matter completely but hey, everything is daijoubu!"
Yeah, I really loled at how that guy who got burned seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet.

This show looks like there could be more to it if it stopped trying so hard to look cool.

Of course, once again, I'm only watching this for something else entirely...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 02:40   Link #29
Yamada II

Episode 1
This started off with somewhat interesting. But I think they shouldn't have told Aoto's story right in the first episode. That was pretty stupid of them. They should have kept his past a bit more mysterious until we saw the guy for at least more than an episode. Dropping his sad past right off the bat doesn't have as good an effect on the viewers as it could have if done later. I couldn't care less about a character and his miserable past if I've only seen him for, like, 15 minutes.

The rest of the things were so so. Not anything to write home about. I'll give it another episode or two to see if it gets better. But this episode didn't leave a good impression because of its stupid move here.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 02:46   Link #30
FateAnomaly

At first look, it has potential. Then they keep showing the poems and philosophical stuff. Not really my type of show but I will give it a few more episodes.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 03:26   Link #31
Shlugo

It starts with what sounds like angsty teenage poem and this pretty much sets the pace of the rest of episode. I can't remember when was the last time I've seen something this pretensions, confusing and downright chuuni as this. The dialogue seems to be intentionally cryptic and what little is explained or can be inferred makes the setting look oddly similar to the kind of fantasies Chuunibyoudemo Koiga Shitai was parodying, except playing it completely straight and deadly serious. And boy oh boy is this show trying it's best to be all serious and depressing.

I'll give it another episode because I think it could be watchable if it gets it's head out of it's ass even a little bit. If nothing else it looks good.
Shlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 03:28   Link #32
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

On a whole that wasn't too shabby considering my rock bottom expectations going in with it's source and everything. Best that I can say base on the first episode is that it feels like something can go anywhere in terms of potential. But as it stands right the show "very middle of the road" in quality. So it's good enough candidate for 3 episode run at least.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 06:50   Link #33
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Base on this ep.1, is the anime going to be Blue Christmas arc centric? (they even prepared an original character for it)
If so, I highly approve.
This also means more Santa, which is even better!
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 09:00   Link #34
Fairy Water

It's actually the best one I have watched so far! Maybe the 6th anime?

Anyway, it was unexpected cause I thought the fire boy would be the protagonist but hell yeah this is even better! Now I really sympathize with Aoto

Also, lots of people called this series cliche What are their problems?
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 09:17   Link #35
Tenzen12

There are three type of cliches:
1)self-aware: I am cliche, what about it? Let's have fun
2)Well done: Yeah, you saw it hundred times, but I do it better
3)Boring one: I am doing what everyone else, there is no need try hard just follow suit.

Unfortunately this is third case, it's unimaginative and you can clearly see what will happen, characters are archetypal and lack own twist. I am quite happy for your innocence, because you can still enjoy shows like this.

btw it would better if fire boy was protagonist, character like that are nice in it's simplicity. Naoto is just ball off wangst waiting for sporty genki girl taw his freezed hearth. What a way to waste female character.
Old 2016-01-09, 09:48   Link #36
Iron Maw
Banned

As of this moment almost every show airing has been done before in someway or another. The quality of said cliches doesn't have much relevance in grand scheme of things because it doesn't change they are still frequently occurring common story elements and/or themes in the medium. Sure something things in DG could certainly stand to be executed better, but on whole it's not really worse than anything this season on that front.

EDIT: On a side note, I forgot to mention it lastnight, but I rather like the OP. In fact it's probably one of the few ones I like both on a visual and audio level this season. Furthermore if it's anything to go by we are in for some really nicely animated battles.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2016-01-09 at 10:18.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 10:52   Link #37
Fairy Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
There are three type of cliches:
1)self-aware: I am cliche, what about it? Let's have fun
2)Well done: Yeah, you saw it hundred times, but I do it better
3)Boring one: I am doing what everyone else, there is no need try hard just follow suit.

Unfortunately this is third case, it's unimaginative and you can clearly see what will happen, characters are archetypal and lack own twist. I am quite happy for your innocence, because you can still enjoy shows like this.

btw it would better if fire boy was protagonist, character like that are nice in it's simplicity. Naoto is just ball off wangst waiting for sporty genki girl taw his freezed hearth. What a way to waste female character.

1/ Isn't it true cliche if it was a fire boy again? There r tons of series that start with a fire boy? And what made u think he is simple-minded? Eventhough he is a straight-forward type but it IS hinted that he has his own reasons to participate into the academy.

2/ There is already a genki sporty girl, to be short the wind girl. From what I saw in ep 1, it seems she makes a nice duo with fire boy already. Only two options left, cheerful girl or quite girl.
Imo Aoto might not have feelings for any girl or they all stay as BFF
Or maybe he needs the warm from his fire partner?

3/ Since I knew this is a game adaption, I don't expect it to has a deep plot or sth, but "you can clearly see what will happen"
sorry, I don't. I can speculate some developments in the future but the plot isn't even clear enough to know their goal or who is the final boss and how everything will somehow relate to the protagonist?

How about you share some of your idea about how this series will make it all through?

4/ In the end, I still don't see what is cliche in this series, lots of new or weird stuff I first experience in this series. Do I have to note that I have been watching M-A for almost my whole life so that you wouldn't think Im being innocence and stuff?

Like I said, this anime's first very episode is the only one that make me satisfy so far. While watching around the other 6 original anime aren't make me interested a bit or more like disappointed.
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 11:10   Link #38
Tenzen12

1) As I said before, there are cliche done right and these that are not. If you take straightforward character there is no much room ruin it.

2)Yes, she makes nice duo with fire boy... but unfortunately he is not protagonist. If they ended together it would be nice twist.

3) Plot itself is just minor triffle that will solved by power of friendship after Naoto open himself. I don't dislike F/L power, but it's all about execution.

By the way did you watch Guilty crown? Both shows gives more or less same vibes (and GC has better animation). I am sure you would like it.
Old 2016-01-09, 15:20   Link #39
AntonKutovoi

Wow. Dialogs in this show are masterpiece. Person who has written them is a genius. A new Leo Tolstoy.

Last edited by AntonKutovoi; 2016-01-09 at 15:49.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 15:43   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While the writing was a bit much at points I don't think it was that bad.

Anyways, I guess we've found the horrible parents of the season in this one. I mean props to them, it takes actual effort to be that horrible. Can you imagine the extra time they took to make sure to prepare a different but markedly worse meal? This isn't just neglecting the child that isn't the pride of the household it's actively taking steps to treat Aoto like trash.

At this point I do like Akane and Midori. Both have pretty bright personalities. I can appreciate that Akane doesn't prefer to BS with people and just rather get to the point. May not be the most effective choice all the time, but that's alright.

In the end not a bad start.

Tags
muh angst, muh edge