AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-07, 22:39   Link #41
Shift_

I feel sorry for you guys who haven't had pocky sticks before...even worse that you live in a place where there arn't alot of asians, or else pocky would be availble everywhere (man my view of the world is so narrow, I couldn't imagine a place (in northamerica) where there isn't a large populations of asians...)

But yea pocky sticks are good, but not THAT good, not good enough to make a thread about...there are so many other better snacks to chomp on...
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 23:53   Link #42
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Pocky stick sucks. Although I wanna try bubble tea. Is Tapioca Japanese? Now that's a good drink.

I'm more of a gummy bear person.
It's a tawainese drink. And Boba sucks. Really it does, or I'm just damn sick of it. I'm more of a red bean ice drink with ice cream on top kind of guy.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:08   Link #43
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

what you talking about~ Bubble Tea rocks :P i love them~~ especially Blueberry slush flavor ~

anywayz, back to topic! POCKY! my room have all kinds of Pocky, my car have all kinds of Pocky... yes, i have lotz of snacks. not only pocky :P and i have this one really really BIG box of poky. they cost like $25 buck or so.. itz really really big, approx size 10-12 times of the reg size pockys.. as in dimensional box size XD
btw~ i love the ones with hazelnutz and white chocolates ~
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:17   Link #44
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
We call those Giant Pocky, also 25 bucks is alot to spend lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneesama
what you talking about~ Bubble Tea rocks :P i love them~~ especially Blueberry slush flavor ~

anywayz, back to topic! POCKY! my room have all kinds of Pocky, my car have all kinds of Pocky... yes, i have lotz of snacks. not only pocky :P and i have this one really really BIG box of poky. they cost like $25 buck or so.. itz really really big, approx size 10-12 times of the reg size pockys.. as in dimensional box size XD
btw~ i love the ones with hazelnutz and white chocolates ~
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:18   Link #45
Dark_Sun
I LOVE YOU!

wait...im pretty sure you've had a bunch of other "great" crackers...y make a thread on this one?...just wondering
Dark_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:35   Link #46
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I love my Pocky when I get it, it's great for a tea stirring device in a pinch too

Considering my area in Florida I don't have much of an opportunity to pick up Pocky, so I do actually treasure it when I get it. Believe it or not, I tend to find myself flocking towards more of the asian snacks more than American, perhaps it's the novelty, or perhaps it's because they have cheesecake kit-kats in Japan and we don't :P
DarkCntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 01:54   Link #47
junko
model bliss

Uh, what's bubble tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
I love my Pocky when I get it, it's great for a tea stirring device in a pinch too

Considering my area in Florida I don't have much of an opportunity to pick up Pocky, so I do actually treasure it when I get it. Believe it or not, I tend to find myself flocking towards more of the asian snacks more than American, perhaps it's the novelty, or perhaps it's because they have cheesecake kit-kats in Japan and we don't :P
Cheesecake kit-kats?!? *drool*

I think the main lure of pocky and other asian snack foods is that they're so far from what we're used to. I mean, give someone a box of unsalted crackers and a pot of strawberry icing, and they're like "WTF is this?" But give them pocky and they're all like "OMFG, this shit owns!" I'm sure the Japanese ooh and ahh over public restrooms with toilet paper.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 02:17   Link #48
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Yea, the cheesecake kit kats are great, and I can only find them in Japan

Same goes for the Tohato Habanero chips....feelin hot hot hot....

But you're right, there's nothing special about Pocky itself, it's the image and with it being quite popular in a certain anime series, it increases that image with the Otaku

I still like my Pocky though ^_^

Search for Kit Kat here - http://www.japanesesnacks.com/

Last edited by DarkCntry; 2004-07-08 at 03:40. Reason: Removed image because I forgot no direct links :)
Old 2004-07-08, 03:29   Link #49
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by junko
Uh, what's bubble tea?
Tea of different flavours. Juices/essences can be mixed in. The key thing being that the 'bubbles' are tapioca balls. They are soft and chewy and slightly sweet if prepared correctly.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 03:44   Link #50
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Tea of different flavours. Juices/essences can be mixed in. The key thing being that the 'bubbles' are tapioca balls. They are soft and chewy and slightly sweet if prepared correctly.
mmm. Sounds yummy.

DarkCntry: yeah, I like my pocky, too. I'm not slamming it. But I wondered, just what am I paying for? Bread sticks with icing on them? It's good, but I could get 4 tacos at Jack in the Crack for that much money. Or unsalted crackers and strawberry icing for twice that. What can I say, I'm poor.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 06:54   Link #51
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
I once bought 24 boxes of Strawberry pocky (Some 20 sticks a box) and 30 boxes of Chocolate pocky (Some 40 sticks a box, possibly more) - they were gone in four days.

I can see why Mizuho likes them now, it tastes better then the crap we get in the UK (Candy Wise) and it's the sort of thing you can just keep eating and eating.. o.o

Me and a friend are saving up for a bulk purchase at the minute, a few hundred dollars worth.

I'm not sure why I like Pocky, but I just do.
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 07:52   Link #52
Aquatic Fox
Anime Addict

Send a message via MSN to Aquatic Fox
Quote:
I feel sorry for you guys who haven't had pocky sticks before...even worse that you live in a place where there arn't alot of asians, or else pocky would be availble everywhere (man my view of the world is so narrow, I couldn't imagine a place (in northamerica) where there isn't a large populations of asians...)
Try here in Nebraska were we have zero ethnic divsity, the only asian population is that of the universitiy's exchange program. Although about a month ago a book store started selling pocky here.
Aquatic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 09:34   Link #53
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
May I ask a simple question?

What is so special about Pockys? To me it's just a stick covered in sugar paste with artificial colors and flavors.

For the past several months, I came to the conclusion that Westerners love Pocky because they see it in anime, and that they will pay an outrageous price for one box. Frankly, I'm more surprised that you guys didn't have Pocky for all these years - there are tons of Pocky look-a-likes around the world which, I assume, are much more cheaper.
I guess any kind of candy can be considered "sugar with additives".

Norway has two "large" candy producers, both whom focus a lot on chocolate. Sadly, after one of them (Freia) was bought by the American (I think?) Kraft Foods, they changed their recipes for most, if not all, of the chocolate they produce. Now it tastes like crap, quite frankly. Norwegian chocolate is quite different from the chocolate you find in the rest of Europe, probably the world, so making the chocolate more "international" like Kraft Foods did to Freia's just alienates the traditional buyers. Nidar, the other producer, still produces "Norwegian" chocolate, thank god for that. I'm not saying all foreign chocolate is bad, of course. Heck, I LOVE Toblerone, and Swiss chocolate in general is simply great. After Eight is another favorite of mine. I'm just saying that you don't radically change a chocolate that's been sold for more than 50 years without people reacting to it.

I actually like pocky, though my parents don't, and I prefer the strawberry kinds to the chocolate ones. Tried Men's Pocky, too bitter for me. The traditional flavor Pocky was ok, but not really great. Banana Pocky was great, IMO, same with the strawberry ones (the one with chunks of strawberry on them was the best). Almond Crush wasn't too good, but I've never liked almonds, so I can't imagine why I ordered it to begin with. Pocky Mousse was good, the powder-like chocolate was a nice treat. I tried a few others too, but their names escape me. They were ok, but apparently not too memorable.

Pocky (or something similar) isn't sold in Norway. I'll admit I bought it because I saw it in the Onegai Teacher anime, but it was a coincidence that I found out it actually existed.

Anyway, I think they go well with coffee, so I usually order a large batch a couple of times per year. With a freight cost of about 30 bucks, I have to order a lot to make it worth the cost. As for the cost of the actual product, you get a small chocolate bar for the cost of about 1 US dollar here, or a big one for 3 US dollars, so Pocky isn't expensive if you compare it to other Norwegian products. Probably because I don't have to pay the 24% sales tax on imported Pocky, while Norwegian chocolate has that.

*Edit*
Forgot to mention, I order my Pocky at J-List. Probably not the cheapest place, but it's ok.
Old 2004-07-08, 11:06   Link #54
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Oh' I forget to say, I order mine at http://fastfoodanime.com/
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 11:11   Link #55
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
hoooly crap thats expensive
i get mine locally at half the price of the stuff on that site

on another note
anyone know where to get a takoyaki grill?
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 14:51   Link #56
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

http://www.asianmunchies.com/cgi-bin...ategory_Code=B

Less than a buck for the small boxes of strawberry pocky, this is one of the cheaper sites to get Pocky on the net, and it's one of the places I regularly shop.
Old 2004-07-08, 15:42   Link #57
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by junko
Cheesecake kit-kats?!?
*barf*

Sorry,but the thought of Cheesecake Kit-Kats makes me a bit sick frankly,even if my city does manage to have it's own kind of Cheesecake.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 16:03   Link #58
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Quote:
R u saying that it's a tapioca dupe?
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:33   Link #59
jennwenn

Quote:
Or to be fancy schmansy, some people call them "pearls" but they can't fool me with expensive sounding names.

If anyone's looking to try bubble tea, the best kinds use fresh ingredients like fresh fruit, real taro, and real green tea. The powder and sryup bubble tea is crap (too sweet and artificial for me), though unfortunately its the easiest to find.

I love desserts from all nations. I'm obsessed with trying exotic desserts and candy, though not quite obsessed as I am with anime/manga lol. I'm American, but even to me American sweets are just too...sweet! I can't taste anything but my teeth rotting away.

I love red bean ice deserts too, yum.

Back to Pocky:
Buying Pocky bulk would definitely be cheaper than buying individual boxes of Pocky from a China Town supermarket. The ideal place would be like a wholesale supplier that will sell you a crate for cheap, but I don't know where to find these places either. Something like China Town's equivalent of Sam's Club/Costco...if there is such a thing...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:44   Link #60
TronDD
Team the box!

Pocky is good and all, but where can I find taiyaki in America? "Excuse me, do you have bean paste filled pastry fish?"
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote