AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 15:36   Link #61
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Racing Hearts at the Amusement Park! The Excitement of Dating!?

It's been over a year, since I last watched Fresh Pretty Cure.

The truth is that I wanted to start and finish this series by watching the Raw videos, but once Cure.Com fansubs began their releases, then I made the switch
to the subs.

I am grateful to that group and never bothered them with asking the "dumb" questions about when the next episode will be ready.

Since, they were releasing subbed episodes randomly, I chose to wait until releasing the episode right after the one I left off in chronological order.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 20:17   Link #62
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Vanishing Hamburgers! Protecting the Things You Love!

Hi, minna-san!

It's been almost three months since I last watched a Fresh Pretty Cure episode, although no one is visiting this thread anymore I kind of feel lonely. Moreover, I don't know if I should keep on giving this episode reviews since I don't feel like flooding this thread with multiple posts by myself.

Starting with the topic of discussion, I didn't realize until the sixth episode that the soundtrack and background score for FPC both seems and feels much more emotionally dense and immersive than all the previous or past five series combined.

I felt that I could really connect with all of the characters, and there's this dark atmosphere of dread and gloom overflowing whenever Labyrinth's denizens make their move.
Add more to that, in contrast to previous Pretty Cure villains, the Labyrinth opted for a subtle and silent retire from the battleground merging themselves within the fog of the dark, which in my opinion gives them an even creepier aura on them.

Now for my review...
Spoiler for Episode 6:
Old 2010-06-05, 17:52   Link #63
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Fres Pretty Cure - The Movie: The Kingdom of Toys Has Lots of Secrets!?

Minna-san, good afternoon.

This week I deliver my reviews for the recently watched Fresh Pretty Cure movie.

Once again, by watching this movie I have spoiled myself big time about future events that I have yet to watch in the mainstream serie's episodes.

I got to be honest that this Precure film delivered mixed feelings upon me.

The most glaring flaw that this movie had in comparison to previous Precure films was that the confrontation battles were so annoyingly and irritatingly one-sided in favor of the Cures.

Except for Love / Peach the other Pretty Cure went totally nut postal against Toy-majin without rest or room for breath. The other three girls took so seriously and sternly their roles as Pretty Cures.

I do understand that this particular film was targeted and focused toward children, but the producers had to go all the way to make it as child-friendly as possible and to make the villain seem and act as the scourge and toxin of all that's pure and good in the magic-girl universes.

Thankfully, there were two characters that more or less rescued the film at the latter part:
1) Toymajin - Unlike villains of previous Pretty Cure movies, "he" took rather on an antagonistic role in that sense that Toymajin was not overly evil. To some extent "his" rage was justified; "he" had reasons to go out and do all those evil deeds.
"He" was not associated with Labyrinth and was not evil for the sake of being evil or spreading darkness. Toymajin wanted to protect fellow toys that were left abandoned like him and together made the Toy Kingdom.

The problem, which is an absolute NO in the philosophy and lore of magic-girl universes, is that "he" sought an eye-for-eye against all the children. That's why the film showcased "his" revenge in the most negative and dread manner as possible, just to be made a bad example to be taught by the children who watched this movie.

2) Love - She was the only Pretty Cure who empathized with all the toys' feelings and felt regret for what she seemingly did to her toy and other ones. She gathered courage and brave Toymajin first with words, and then with everyone's feelings rather to resort to outright "magic-girl" justice.

It felt nice for a change that her Cure Angel form wasn't meant to destroy Toymajin, because "he" wasn't evil by nature. Rather instead her light was meant to exorcise all those feelings of revenge and resentment, and then have all the toys purified.
This marks the first time in the Precure films's history that a main villain is not destroyed or killed rather being purified.

The drama delivered during the aftermath of the fight was well received by me to allow me explore inside Toymajin's background.

On the other hand, the CGI visual and computer effects were astonishingly gorgeous, particularly during the second round of fighting against Toymajin, but I do agree that serious and average viewers for this film will find them distracting and too fast-paced to follow what's happening.

Lastly, the soundtrack sounded epic even for Pretty Cure standards. This is not a bad thing rather a compliment. The problem is that most of the film's plot elements restrict the soundtrack of conveying all the punch that the musical scores pack.

Overall, I have big expectations since this was the Fresh Pretty Cure film, but for most part I was left with scrambled feelings due to have kept the my expectations too high about this picture.
Old 2010-09-07, 19:56   Link #64
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Unlike the Pretty Cure Splash * Star thread, from this post onward I'll be reviewing three episodes at once so as not to clutter the Fresh Pretty Cure thread with lots of posts done by myself.

Spoiler for Episode 7: Setsuna and Love. The Clover of Friendship!:

Spoiler for Episode 8: Chiffon's in Big Trouble! Peach's New Power!!:

Spoiler for Episode 9: Miki's Dream. I'm Leaving Pretty Cure!!:
Old 2010-09-12, 18:35   Link #65
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 10: Inori is Tart, and Tart is Inori?!:

Spoiler for Episode 11: Miyuki's rage! She's not going to teach us dance anymore?!:

Spoiler for Episode 12: Transform Together! The Great Tuft Tactic!:

Last edited by Guido; 2010-11-22 at 20:30. Reason: Added synopsis for eleventh episode.
Old 2010-12-12, 18:36   Link #66
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 13: Chiffon is Sick!? Pine's New Power!!:

Spoiler for Episode 14: The Fourth Pretty Cure!? Search for Akarun!!:

Spoiler for Episode 15: Setsuna and Love. The Heart that Cares for Others!:

Last edited by Guido; 2010-12-20 at 22:13.
Old 2010-12-30, 20:40   Link #67
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 17: Leave Chiffon to Me! Berry's New Power:

Spoiler for Episode 18: I Want to Meet Pretty Cure! A Little Girl's Wish!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-02-16 at 20:19.
Old 2011-03-11, 20:32   Link #68
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

So, time for another triple Fresh Pretty Cure episodic review.

Spoiler for Episode 19: A New Card! Eas's New Power!!:

Spoiler for Episode 20: Dancing or Pretty Cure... ? Which Will You Choose... ?:

Spoiler for Episode 21: You Are the Fourth Pretty Cure!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-03-22 at 20:26.
Old 2011-03-30, 20:18   Link #69
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

And the Fourth Pretty Cure is close approaching...

Spoiler for Episode 22: Setsuna and Love, Are You Eas!?:

And the Goddess of Love said, let Passion be borned....
Spoiler for Episode 23: The End of Eas! Cure Passion is Born!!:

The family that leaves you behind a light to follow...
Spoiler for Episode 24: Setsuna's Distress! I Cannot Be Your Comrade!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-04-13 at 19:07.
Old 2011-04-22, 15:11   Link #70
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

End of the arc.
Spoiler for Episode 25: Eas vs. Passion!? I Will Be Reborn!!:

The second rendition of the anime's current opening debuts, as well as new ending video and song beginning from this episode and onwards.
Spoiler for Episode 26: Four Hearts! I Want to Dance, Too!!:

Spoiler for Episode 27: Summer! Festival! Audrey!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-05-28 at 19:40.
Old 2011-06-18, 17:15   Link #71
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 28: Precious Memories! Remembering My Grandfather!!:

Spoiler for Episode 29: Mysterious Man! Kaoru's True Identity!?:

The subs finally entered the 30's episodes for this show!
Spoiler for "Episode 30: Tarte's in Trouble! He'll be Rumbled!?:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-08-14 at 22:51.
Old 2011-08-08, 22:14   Link #72
gsilver

Just saw episode 29... That plot twist... Really?

...I mean, really?

I know that this isn't the kind of show to be taken seriously, but that was just out there. Still a fun episode, even if more than a little ridiculous.

I'm glad to see that they've closed another release gap.
Old 2011-08-16, 20:09   Link #73
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 31: Love, Daisuke, and the Methods of Reconciliation!:

Spoiler for Episode 32: Goodbye! Tarte and Chiffon!:

My first post here since a couple of months ago .....
Spoiler for Episode 33: The Things that Miki and Setsuna Fear!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-11-03 at 19:55.
Old 2011-11-05, 22:26   Link #74
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 34: Infinity Appears! Retrieve the Lost Tomorrow!!:

Spoiler for Episode 35: Chiffons' Hidden Secrets!:

Spoiler for Episode 36: A New Enemy! Her Name is Northa!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-11-13 at 18:51.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:24   Link #75
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 37: Protect Chiffon! Pretty Cure's New Power!!:

Spoiler for Episode 38: Search for the Clover Box!!:

Spoiler for Episode 39: No Fighting? School Trip to Okinawa!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2011-12-11 at 19:25.
Old 2011-12-24, 18:21   Link #76
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler for Episode 40: Setsuna and Love: Mom is in Danger!:

Spoiler for Episode 41: Inori and Kento's Cruise Party!:

Spoiler for Episode 42: Invitation from Labyrinth!:

Last edited by Guido; 2012-01-10 at 20:23.
Old 2012-01-22, 15:08   Link #77
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This is my last three-episodes review post.
Spoiler for Episode 43: Save the World! Pretty Cure V.S. Labyrinth!!:

It's been a month and half since my previous episodes' post. I'm glad that CureCom is keeping up the good work, and there's no need to be hasty or to hurry up. The releases can come steady, as they are right now by month. - 11/03/2012
Spoiler for Episode 44: The Strange Red Whistle! Chiffon is Taken!!:

The drama in the following episode is to be commended.
Spoiler for Episode 45: Together We Are Pretty Cure! Christmas Eve Farewell!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2012-03-21 at 22:19.
Old 2012-05-05, 17:01   Link #78
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Welcome to the first of my only two double-episodes posts.

Spoiler for "Episode 46: Soular and Westar! Their Final Battle!!:

Spoiler for "Episode 47: Change the World! The Miracle of Doughnuts!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2012-05-12 at 16:26.
Old 2012-05-18, 00:31   Link #79
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'm on the last trek of this rollercoaster ride, and the following episode was so Bad-Ass, IMO.

Spoiler for Episode 48: The Final Battle! The Birth of Cure Angel!!:

Just one more episode, one last episode to conclude Fresh, and what a ride the final battle is coming.
Spoiler for Episode 49: The Shocking Truth! Moebius' True Form!!:

Last edited by Guido; 2012-06-07 at 01:01.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:45   Link #80
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Fresh Pretty Cure. Doughnuts of Happiness Season is Over

This is over for me, as of today I watched the last episode to Fresh Pretty Cure and have finished another Pretty Cure series in the whole mega franchise.

I have a particular history with this show, which I started over three years ago.

Back then, CureCom fansubs were the ones who took upon their hands to start fansubbing this show and paid off releasing the first four episodes just a day or a few days after the original broadcast of those four episodes aired.

Then, for the whole year of 2009 they remain on standby, which is not a bad thing and am not criticizing them for; they actually released episodes out of order at some time to wait until all the series got broadcasted and available.

To me the biggest gap of waiting happened between episodes 4 to 5, which took exactly one year and one week to watch the next fansub release.

Now, looking at the promo art I was intensely gung-ho towards this series having a feeling it could turned out with interesting developments, and from the first episode it actually delivered.
- The cast of Cures and Labyrinth denizens were likeable as characters from both sides.
- The soundtrack, particularly the scores for Labyrinth and Moebiüs, were awesome to hear.
- This series was the first one to approach the bad guys with a human touch and to develop them, which it got reflected first with Setsuna and later with both Souler and Westar towards the end of the series.
- Fresh Pretty Cure introduced and started for a first CGI dancing sequences in both endings, which that trend was later followed and continued with following Pretty Cure series after it.
- I liked much the use of robots and crazy contraptions as theme for summoning enemies, and more so because it was the first Pretty Cure series to make use of more than one kind of monster types in its narrative.

Now what I disliked much about this series:
1. Love's constant overuse and abuse of her catchy phrase "Let's get happiness", which listening to the original Japanese translation it sounded more like a rip-off from Ash Ketchum (Satoshi)'s eponymous phrase "Let's get a Pokemon" in the original Japanese text.

2. That aforementioned phrase was topped and almost it got overwhelmed equally by Labyrinth's constant overuse and abuse of their "Everything for Lord Moebiüs sake" phrase. That one or whenever Eas, Souler, and Westar delivered their presentation phrase.

3. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for more Fresh Pretty Cure episode fansub releases, the year 2010 caught me up and HeartCatch Pretty Cure overlapped.
The successor to Fresh quickly dazzled me with its visuals, quirky characters, and strong plot and narrative development, that by the time I finished the former and continued to make my way forward towards more Fresh Pretty Cure episodes, Fresh's quality in its plot now seemd bland and dull in contrast to HeartCatch.

This was more evident with the development and conclusion to the Eas's transition to Cure Passion arc, which to my opinion I got high expectations but the results turned out to be lagging or dissapointment.

Fortunately, the strong impression I got from HeartCatch washed away after I reached the 34th episode to Fresh where things with the plot jumpstarted again back to its dark tone when Chiffon got kidnapped.
Northa's introduction two episodes later spiced things even more for me to happily say again that Fresh got back in track just like it was at its very beginnings.

The developments throughout the curse of this series put a smile on my face since Fresh became as well the first within the whole mega franchise for:
1. The heroines actually revealing their Pretty Cure alter-egos to their parents and close friends.
2. Almost all the bad guys working for Moebiüs became friends then allies to the Pretty Cure. First, happened with Setsuna, and later with Soular and Westar (which they all got their chance to fight alongisde the Pretty Cure and sharing the same spotlight like them), and, finally, the people of Labyrinth.
3. The main bad guy or final boss actually commits suicide and is neither purified nor destroyed by the Pretty Cures. Moebiüs self-destructs itself in order to try taking down all the Pretty Cure, because it cannot understand happiness except in any other way than deleting Pretty Cure for good.
4. Kaoru: not only he got his own episode to explain his backstory, but he was always friends with the fairies before Love became Cure Peach. The guy, although goofy on the surface, has charisma and speaks honestly for the things he loves to do: baking donuts that bring happiness to everyone.
5. Moebiüs.

Unlike previous Pretty Cure villains, Moebiüs wasn't interested at all to spread the darkness; actually, it never crossed its calculations at all.
Moebiüs resembled more our real worlds' historical tyrants. To be precise, its philosophy at controlling the minds and hearts of its people by means of oppression and censorship.
For him the darkness within peoples' hearts was a tool to obtain the means that would allow it to control all parallel worlds; the mean itself was none other than capturing Infinity, Chiffon.
And, unlike, Pretty Cure villains from past series, Moebiüs succeeded in taking control of all words just before it was thwarted for good by the Fresh Pretty Cure.

Unlike, past and future Pretty Cure villains, Moebiüs was an artificial life form designed and created by humans with no real need to understand emotions; it was an artificial being.
It acted according to its programming, but its programming evolved and turned against its creators.
Moebiüs couldn't be purified at all, since it never had a heart in the first place.

Moving on, this show had its highs and lows, but the several twists and developments introduced helped to outweigh its several negative points on me in a more positive light.
I liked as well how the last battle for the final episode played out with some proper action and drama mixed in.

The show truly relied on its use of dancing as another theme besides happiness, sweets, and doughnuts, which reminded me of the Sailor Starlights from Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

Overall, it took me 40 months and 15 days (that's three years, four months, and 15 days) in order to finish Fresh Pretty Cure and did so on a high note.

This has been the fifth Pretty Cure series that I ended thanks to CureCom fansubs from beginning to end, and the overall score I award to Fresh Pretty Cure is 75 out 100.

Last edited by Guido; 2012-06-16 at 15:34.

Tags
magical girl, shojo