AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-02-07, 12:13   Link #3401
Romanticide

How could she be an original maiden? we would have noticed, and she looks nothing like them.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 12:16   Link #3402
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Or maybe Cinder was a candidate for Maiden in the past but Ozpin passed her over because of something.
Old 2016-02-07, 12:22   Link #3403
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
More like high drama and attempt at being edgy by having the "good guys" go down the drain before getting back up somehow powered-up or better trained and capable of beating the "bad guys".
Congrats on describing pretty much every JRPG, western RPG, shounen manga arc/anime, most action movies, and essentially every hero-based story, ever.
Old 2016-02-07, 12:54   Link #3404
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

OMG! What an episode!
Ruby VS Neo and Torchwick.
Velvet's weapon is revealed.
Adam injures Blake and cuts Yang's right arm!
And Cinder finally obtaining the full powers of the Fall Maiden.
The finale for season 3 is gonna be great.
Old 2016-02-07, 13:15   Link #3405
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

I just realize what that Velvet's Semblance reminds me of. Remember Guilty Crown? It's Ouma Shu's void all over again.
Old 2016-02-07, 13:28   Link #3406
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Goodbye, RWBY with happy and cheerful vibes.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 13:34   Link #3407
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
More like high drama and attempt at being edgy by having the "good guys" go down the drain before getting back up somehow powered-up or better trained and capable of beating the "bad guys".
Having things play out like that isn't really an attempt at being edgy. As another person already pointed out, it's a classic storytelling method. The basic template of the hero's journey can be found in 99% of stories in any medium ever.

Now, if you think the presentation of said events are being done in an overwrought manner, there might be an argument there... But RWBY's not exactly known for being subtle most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
I just realize what that Velvet's Semblance reminds me of. Remember Guilty Crown? It's Ouma Shu's void all over again.
Or, y'know... Rogue from X-Men.
Old 2016-02-07, 13:35   Link #3408
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Congrats on describing pretty much every JRPG, western RPG, shounen manga arc/anime, most action movies, and essentially every hero-based story, ever.
First of all, that doesn't mean it's a good pattern. I'd argue that a lot of the better stories manage to avoid it.

Secondly, I'm not even sure how true it is here. Cinder is strong, but I think there are plenty of other people who could beat her pretty reliably in a team of three or four. She's simply played the game better than everyone else. She's managed to hold the initiative more or less consistently and keep her opponents reacting to her moves while she sets up a hammer blow.

Really, Clausewitz would be proud.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 13:42   Link #3409
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Having things play out like that isn't really an attempt at being edgy. As another person already pointed out, it's a classic storytelling method. The basic template of the hero's journey can be found in 99% of stories in any medium ever.

Now, if you think the presentation of said events are being done in an overwrought manner, there might be an argument there... But RWBY's not exactly known for being subtle most of the time.
I guess the second line is the most appropriate to this case.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 13:50   Link #3410
Tenzen12

Cinder is not super strong and she isn't that type of villain who is prepared for everything, real reason why she were able go so far was keeping her card hidden and be able play them in right time. There is no much ways defend against blow, if you don't know from where it comes from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Or, y'know... Rogue from X-Men.
Or, y'know... Megaman from the Megaman
Old 2016-02-07, 13:55   Link #3411
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

I meant more visually…The entire blue outline thing was something remember from Guilty Crown...
Old 2016-02-07, 14:25   Link #3412
LazyHunter

Well, I have to say I liked this episode a lot more than the previous ones. The fighting parts were a lot better. Velvet and Weiss vs the Paladins were cool. Obvious reveal on Ironwood's cyborg parts, but I really like that kind of thing since I watched Fullmetal Alchemist, so I enjoyed it anyway. I have no problem with what Cinder did this episode, that was a smart move taking advantage of Ozpin and Jaune being distracted by Pyrrha's pain and the transfer process. Better than previous displays of the good guy's incompetence. I still maintain that the good guys should have recruited more adult hunters from the four kingdoms. I think in this episode Ironwood mentioned something to Glynda about gathering hunstmen from Vale, so yes, it's a thing they could have done before that would have probably saved a lot of lives.

However, I do have to say that despite liking the fight itself and really enjoying Ruby's smart way of removing Neo from the fight, I don't like how Roman, who has been a villain since day one, was taken out. It almost felt like they didn't know how to make Ruby beat him, since he was clearly beating her ass even without Neo's help. Really lame way for him to go, it would have been better for a minor villain like the White Fang liutenant with the chainsaw. I wonder where that guy is during all of this.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 14:29   Link #3413
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir of the Void View Post
First of all, that doesn't mean it's a good pattern. I'd argue that a lot of the better stories manage to avoid it.

Secondly, I'm not even sure how true it is here. Cinder is strong, but I think there are plenty of other people who could beat her pretty reliably in a team of three or four. She's simply played the game better than everyone else. She's managed to hold the initiative more or less consistently and keep her opponents reacting to her moves while she sets up a hammer blow.

Really, Clausewitz would be proud.
To the first point, I was actually just trying to emphasize how silly that quote was to try and call RWBY out for something that's present in many, many things.

In reality, I WISH more people viewed things the way you do in your second point. Every time Cinder scores a point there seems to be this collective moan from a certain mass wondering why "the villains always win". And every time I always find myself rolling my eyes thinking, "so proper planning turns out to be a good thing, who knew?"
Old 2016-02-07, 14:42   Link #3414
RDNexus

Yeah, Cinder's group may have planned things nicely but, in my view, it wasn't without it's share of conveniently covered plotholes.
First, when her group attacked the Maiden, didn't Crow see their faces? Couldn't he easily identify them?
Second, nobody knowing about Emerald's semblance? I don't think it's that easy to fake another one.
Has anyone checked if everyone's backgrounds were real? I don't know, given the White Fang and Torchwick's previous antics?

I don't know, I just think the build-up to their successes was made of "well-planned moves" conveniently made to seem like it.

And given how Season1&2 went by, how can you expect people to easily stomach such a 180º turn? That's right, it's not that easy.
You may be enjoying the way things are going but please don't take it as granted for everyone else.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 14:49   Link #3415
Wandering Soul

Roman's death was pretty anti climatic. Considering the fact that he was basically the first villain we were introduced to, it feels like he should have gotten a better send off.

Velvet's semblance was cool. The reveal about Ironwood was predictable but it was still nice to see.

I wonder who the "she" Cinder is referring to is.
Old 2016-02-07, 14:55   Link #3416
Tormenk

Roman's demise sure was unexpected. But I prefer it that way to be some form of poetic justice than for him to escape out of the giant Griffin in comedic fashion. Only sad part is that Neo wouldn't even know how her partner snuffed it. Cinder's last lines alludes to someone who knew about Ozpin. Perhaps a former member of the secret brotherhood who disagreed and left.

In terms of narrative, I would liken the events of vol 3 to Harry Potter's Triwizard Cup to nearing the end of the Deathly Hallows. The honeymoon period is over and some eggs have to be broken to make an omelette so the quick switch in mood makes sense to me, even if it isn't entirely enjoyable.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 15:04   Link #3417
Twi

It's gotten really dark. Adam is a yandere, like Beast from Beauty and the Beast turned into an abusive asshole driven mad by his love abandoning him and can apparently cut through Aura like fucking butter. Ironwood is basically Robocop, and Cinder won. On the negatives, Roman shouldn't have died by being eaten of all things, Jaune had one job and he failed at it by not looking towards the entrance, and while I liked the reveal of Velvet's Semblance, I don't really like that she was blindsided because people were just staring at her and not the giant robot next to her, or the fact that Weiss got her power-up by saving someone she hardly knows. It should have been one of team RWBY or Neptune.
Old 2016-02-07, 15:05   Link #3418
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
To the first point, I was actually just trying to emphasize how silly that quote was to try and call RWBY out for something that's present in many, many things.

In reality, I WISH more people viewed things the way you do in your second point. Every time Cinder scores a point there seems to be this collective moan from a certain mass wondering why "the villains always win". And every time I always find myself rolling my eyes thinking, "so proper planning turns out to be a good thing, who knew?"
It's not really just the planning; a lot of being a good strategist is knowing that nothing ever goes as planned, and both having contingencies and being able to respond flexibly to events as they occur. Roll with the punches, hit targets of opportunity, and so forth. She's done a good job of that, too, exploiting the essentially passive stance of what seems like everyone else. But that's how it works. It usually isn't flashy, despite how it is sometimes portrayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Roman's death was pretty anti climatic. Considering the fact that he was basically the first villain we were introduced to, it feels like he should have gotten a better send off.
We didn't see chewing, and I don't think anything had happened that would have depleted his aura, so I don't see how he could be dead.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 15:23   Link #3419
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir of the Void View Post
It's not really just the planning; a lot of being a good strategist is knowing that nothing ever goes as planned, and both having contingencies and being able to respond flexibly to events as they occur. Roll with the punches, hit targets of opportunity, and so forth. She's done a good job of that, too, exploiting the essentially passive stance of what seems like everyone else. But that's how it works. It usually isn't flashy, despite how it is sometimes portrayed.

We didn't see chewing, and I don't think anything had happened that would have depleted his aura, so I don't see how he could be dead.
At least I hope he is not dead, he is a much too fun villain to die in such an anticlimactic way.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2016-02-07 at 15:40.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 15:31   Link #3420
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Yeah, Cinder's group may have planned things nicely but, in my view, it wasn't without it's share of conveniently covered plotholes.
First, when her group attacked the Maiden, didn't Crow see their faces? Couldn't he easily identify them?
Second, nobody knowing about Emerald's semblance? I don't think it's that easy to fake another one.
Has anyone checked if everyone's backgrounds were real? I don't know, given the White Fang and Torchwick's previous antics?

I don't know, I just think the build-up to their successes was made of "well-planned moves" conveniently made to seem like it.

And given how Season1&2 went by, how can you expect people to easily stomach such a 180º turn? That's right, it's not that easy.
You may be enjoying the way things are going but please don't take it as granted for everyone else.
Honestly, I am in no mood to begin a debate with you. Especially if you're going to misinterpret and start putting words in my mouth. Not once did I allude to some ridiculous assumption that I figured everyone liked this season's developments. In fact, I could easily just turn that around and say you're sitting on the assumption that most people take issue with the events taking place and I'm somehow the odd man out.

Personally, yes it is easy to stomach "such a turn" in the overall tone. I'd file it nicely under, "sh*t happens". And we've had a sneak peek at said excrement over several seasons...so I don't even know if calling it a 180 degree turn would even be appropriate. This series has been alluded to being possibly 10 seasons long. What did you expect? They were going to do a standard closed format 1-season long story ten times?

As for your arguments towards the "plotholes":

- I JUST watched Ep. 7 again just now. The encounter lasted less than 20 seconds. Also, here's what Qrow saw:

Spoiler for Qrow vision:

Feel like asking me why he couldn't recognize them again?

- Second, they clearly had tech that could hack and take over Atlas' top of the line computers. You're telling me they can't forge and upload a couple fake IDs (and semblances) to enter the Vytal tournament with? Even if they did do background checks it would probably just check out in conjunction with what they submitted.

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby