AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-18, 13:55   Link #21
AirMaster
キャシャーン

Send a message via MSN to AirMaster
I bought it when it first came out for like...200+cad. And now, I see it at 80usd and it makes me cry...
AirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 14:07   Link #22
Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMaster
I bought it when it first came out for like...200+cad. And now, I see it at 80usd and it makes me cry...
The only shopping website you can get this product is at www.discountanimedvd.com and get it for $178.98! CHECK IT OUT!

Last edited by Gundam Pilot; 2006-08-18 at 14:18.
Gundam Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 14:32   Link #23
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

I received this as a gift when it came out and I am very much looking forward to using it as fire wood as soon as it gets cold here. Unless someone wants to buy it off me for like $50.
Old 2006-08-18, 14:35   Link #24
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Fortunately, I never liked Zeta, so I can care less.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 15:07   Link #25
OmegaZEROCustom
The Alpha and the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
The only shopping website you can get this product is at www.discountanimedvd.com and get it for $178.98! CHECK IT OUT!
Ummm....no. Thats not the ONLY website you can get it at. Hell, RightStuf has it for 79.99, which I believe is what Airmaster was saying. Plus, I've seen at least 5 other sites that still stock the boxset. So no, DiscountAnimeDVD is NOT the only place you can get it, and if you paid 178.99 for it now, you got ripped off.
OmegaZEROCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 19:51   Link #26
4Tran

Zeta Gundam has lots of good points and lots of bad points. I think that it’s an important show for just about any gundam fan to watch, and it’s fairly entertaining, so I think that you’ll enjoy it. I’ll just touch on the major points:

Upsides
Excellent Characters. Quattro, Haman, and eventually Camille have lots of interesting points. My favorite is Amuro, even though he has relatively little screen-time.

Mecha Action. Zeta has some of the better mobile suits, and some of the best choreography of the early Gundam shows. Even though its artwork is older, I think that the style holds up fairly well against the newer shows.

Interesting Ideas. Zeta is concerned with further exploring the themes first brought up in MSG. The way they play out is often quite intriguing.

Downsides
Writing. Zeta mostly has tolerable writing, but on occasion, it’s absolutely abysmal. The only Gundam TV show that has worse writing is ZZ.

Unauthentic Depiction of War. Like many Gundam shows, it just doesn’t feel like there’s a war going on. It doesn’t help that the creators keep trying to tell us that “this is what war is like” when it seems as if they’re the ones who don’t know what it’s like.
Old 2006-08-19, 09:33   Link #27
Gundam Pilot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthand
To me it has to be one of the best (if not the best) in the series. DVD box set well worth the money.
Yeah you said it! I think the Zeta Gundam series and the merchandise are great!
Gundam Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 21:00   Link #28
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

UPS

a great plot.

intresting and original mecha designs.

alot of great characters

great battles that don't have plotdevices.

pretty much everything except...

downs

sayla gets little screen time.

belt can get annoying.

too dark for some.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 04:00   Link #29
nightbringer360

You want dark, watch V Gundam. Z isn't as bad as V is - at this point Tomino hadn't got his "Gundam bitterness" yet. I think he was just still battling through his depression when he made Z - that's why we have so many characters dying.

However, if you still want a lighter version, go the movies.
nightbringer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 13:57   Link #30
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33
UPS

a great plot.

intresting and original mecha designs.

alot of great characters

great battles that don't have plotdevices.

pretty much everything except...

downs

sayla gets little screen time.

belt can get annoying.

too dark for some.
Sayla got no screen time in Zeta besides a passing remark from Frau to Amuro.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 15:33   Link #31
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Zeta chose the easy way out...just kill off half the cast^^
Old 2006-08-20, 16:42   Link #32
NeonZ

Quote:
Unauthentic Depiction of War. Like many Gundam shows, it just doesn’t feel like there’s a war going on. It doesn’t help that the creators keep trying to tell us that “this is what war is like” when it seems as if they’re the ones who don’t know what it’s like.
What...? There wasn't a One Year War type conflict going on. It's mostly an internal conflict between two factions which want to control the future of the Earth Federation. That kind of complaint can be used against ZZ, not Z.

Quote:
Sayla got no screen time in Zeta besides a passing remark from Frau to Amuro.
She appears on screen during the Dakar arc, but doesn't say anything.
NeonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 21:46   Link #33
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I still thought the Titans could use a bit more victories and more characters.

Also, I wished that Yazan should die in the end of Zeta instead of being alive in ZZ. The Jerid-Kamille fights are usually good.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 01:07   Link #34
hanxthre
Banned

Zeta was a great realistic war drama...Not to mention it had some of the most bold and creative mecha designs in the entire genre...You weren't suppose to get attached to characters because it let you know early on, like in life people you adore die in war, and they die pretty easily, and after they die it's on to the next battle because that's war...It's a fucked up existence.

I'd bet my eternal afterlife life that everyone dissing it is a Kira crunch-bar eating CE fanclone unfortunatley.
hanxthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 02:09   Link #35
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanxthre
I'd bet my eternal afterlife life that everyone dissing it is a Kira crunch-bar eating CE fanclone unfortunatley.
Or maybe everyone dissing it watched it and didn't see the same things you did. Instead they saw a poorly paced story with bad writing and more ridiculous characters then the handful of interesting characters and a plot that puts you to sleep faster than a Tylenol sleeping pill. About the only good thing I have to say about Zeta is that some the MS are cool, and the fights are interesting.

Not everyone sees the same things in a series. Looks like I just won your eternal afterlife.
Old 2006-08-21, 02:14   Link #36
hanxthre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Instead they saw a poorly paced story with bad writing and more ridiculous characters then the handful of interesting characters and a plot that puts you to sleep faster than a Tylenol sleeping pill.
If I wasn't on my 12th beer I'd think you were talking about another series...A series that tried to completley copy zeta and couldn't even do that right. That little secret stays between us OK

Quote:
Looks like I just won your eternal afterlife.
Yeah now come join me on the blood soaked sofa where we will watch GSD for an enternity in an endless loop...This place is called hell by the way.
Old 2006-08-21, 02:30   Link #37
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah now come join me on the blood soaked sofa where we will watch GSD for an enternity in an endless loop...This place is called hell by the way.
Hey, I don't mind watching GSD for eternity. It's a million times more entertaining than Zeta to me. I'd have a good time with that.
Old 2006-08-21, 02:52   Link #38
hanxthre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Hey, I don't mind watching GSD for eternity. It's a million times more entertaining than Zeta to me. I'd have a good time with that.
LMMFAO, well don't forget your pitchfork OK...I hear hell's a mutha...Especially those flames called recaps.
Old 2006-08-21, 02:59   Link #39
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Zeta's merely average to me.

It's purely my opinion, but Zeta to me is the type of series that you keep in your cupboard permanently after watching it all once. There's no watch recycling value.

The plot alone was okay, but the way it was paced with it's slightly episodic system on certain parts of the anime and the beggining and middle's choppy execution made it meh. None of the characters really appealed to me and I couldn't give a damn when most of them died. The drawing factor that makes a character interesting and makes you want to see more of them but then poof, they died seemed almost non-existent. The only character I cared about was Jerrid, Scirocco and Emma. The rest...pfft. Kamille was a decent character, but his hypocritical talk in battle pisses me off.

The romance was wtf. Anyone who thought Zeta had more than 1 or 2 decently written romance sub-plot needs to get their head checked. Even so, it's merely decent.

Zeta is okay, but there's no power behind most emotional scenes and no electric behind the characters and no awesomeness behind the super scenes (( Aside from the last episode of NT Ghost Powah, but SRW @3 potrays it a million times better than the TV series )). X, G, 0079, SEED, GSD, Turn A, V (( to some extent )), ZZ were all more entertaining than Zeta.

Quote:
LMMFAO, well don't forget your pitchfork OK...I hear hell's a mutha...Especially those flames called recaps.
GSD has awesome recaps. Infinitely more entertaining than any other recap episodes in any other anime. I've watched FATES, PAST and MEER like 10 times each now.

I'd rather watch GSD for eternity rather than watching Zeta. At least I can get giggles, laughter and superb comedy value out of GSD, if not a tear or a burst of emotion. I'd get nothing from Zeta, other than the last episode where I laughed at Kamille's l33t powers.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 03:31   Link #40
hanxthre
Banned

Well I actually meant to say flashbacks not recaps (LOL that GSD is more memorable to you for it's production error based flashbacks and not the actual content of the series on the whole)...Trust GSD entertained me on some level, but to compare it with Zeta you'd never hear me make such a mistake...ZETA was epic, yet non glorifying at the same time...The emotions of Char's inner-conflict, Amuro's disillusionment, and Cammille's ascention was done well for the most part...not every answer was spoonfed to you as the omnious nature of the series is one of it's high points...It's attention to detail during it's mobile suit engages and unapologetic nature towards the ills and brutality of war was groundbreaking...It wasn't about pink haro's and angel baths or superfanboy based lube fapping moments...It was about terror, and gloom, and what's the worth of fighting? The functionality and non-funtionality of those (like the ARGAMA's crew) who take on the challenge to fight against the odds...And in that dismal existence a boy became a man and stepped up to be a hero of this crushing world and for all his efforts instead of getting a VESTGE j-pop insert-song he got his mind-raped proving that even in winning there is still defeat (The harshest of realities)..It's really not for the cartoon minded IMO...It looks at the low-point and evils of man and that even in that blood-dried soil a flower can bloom...There is a reason it is still the highest rated and most hyped GUNDAM series...there is a reason for that... I wouldn't expect everyone to understand especially those who perfer cliche dramatic elements with bishie flawless heroes and agendas (Not saying that's all you guys care for), but for those looking for a raw taste of war, struggle, and realism with in the context of a morbid existence Zeta is the flagship...

Now you can still like both and adjust your mindset accordingly for each series, but in a comparison I can't see it...Maybe SEED would be more acceptable as it pretty much re-hashes MSG, but GSD shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence IMO, especially when it ripped Zeta dry and still fell apart at the seams...I mean how is that even possible?