AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-04-21, 10:24   Link #1
Limiter
Dead Apostle

Send a message via AIM to Limiter Send a message via MSN to Limiter Send a message via Yahoo to Limiter
Is FFXI worth playing?

I never tried the game, but I played most FF games and some RO. is it worth the money? btw, its for pc.
Limiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 14:07   Link #2
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

i play FFXI for PS2, its the same game, but i find its worth every penny. They have events where you can collect items and trade and sell them, or use them to get special items (so far since ive gotten it they had a spring special, and an Easter egg hunt)

plus the game has lots of play time potential, with 30 missions, 100 million billion quests, and not only the first 6 jobs, but unlockable advanced jobs in which you need to do quests to achieve..i think there are like 8 extra jobs, plus crafts you can get into that can make you some serious money.

an entire world with 4 giant nations, and some small cities whereas once a week a tally is recorded for who has killed the most monsters in a certain region, and whoever has the most Regions under their control, gets better stuff for sale in their city

so in one comment, i love it
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 16:25   Link #3
Limiter
Dead Apostle

Send a message via AIM to Limiter Send a message via MSN to Limiter Send a message via Yahoo to Limiter
thanks, Im gonna try it out. I just hope it runs well on my pc.
Old 2004-04-21, 17:19   Link #4
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Talking

I've been playing FFXI on the PC for the past 5 months, and I love it. Like <xellos> said, the world of Vana'diel is BIG, and there's a ton to do in it. So for me the $12.95/month is totally worth it. I don't know about the community on other servers, but I really enjoy the community here on the Diabolos world server.

-- Sour-Do
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 23:15   Link #5
Azura_Sky

if you wanna invest time on an mmorpg, IMHO i rather wait for world of warcraft or middle earth online. honestly i think that ff series should be focus on single player story line and team managment battles as that is what make is so popular in the 1st place
Azura_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 23:41   Link #6
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
ITsa good game, but pricing is kinda high, the know were poor and taking advantage of it. id play if they cut prices.
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 00:03   Link #7
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I've played FFXI for about 4 months.

How should I put it, it's not a matter how much you pay per month that's important. It's more depend on how much free time you can spend on this game. It's an online multiplayer game, you meet people, make friends and group together, some good some bad.

If you hang out with the right people, the game become really addictive and worth the money.

But if you don't have time to spend on, you'll get left behind by your friends, they'll keep leveling up. So you need to be aware of those thing, and get ready to spend alot of your time when entering Vanadiel. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 02:27   Link #8
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura_Sky
if you wanna invest time on an mmorpg, IMHO i rather wait for world of warcraft or middle earth online. honestly i think that ff series should be focus on single player story line and team managment battles as that is what make is so popular in the 1st place

Umm do you know what you are saying you seem to be confused. FFXI you can go solo or join a party it's in what you want to do. and WoW forget it. They have some kind of thing that makes you stop playing.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 08:03   Link #9
Sh1ka9on

Send a message via MSN to Sh1ka9on
Anyway, for me FFXI is definately worth it. The price per month is so damn cheap. I play FFXI for free. This is btw including 2 mules and 3 real characters all on Asura Server. With crafting and farming, i can get 200,000 gil in 4-5 real life days. This 200,000 is currently selling at uhh... 30USD? This covers all my expenses to play the game for a month. Then for the other 25 days, it's all for me.

I guess 200k is kinda hard for beginners since craftin' takes a crapload of gil. Main thing you really need on FFXI is friends. Without friends, you're gone. Get a bunch of helpful ppl in your LS and you're set. Get powerLvled, then get all the adv.job quests, and start fishin' or start choppin' or whatever you're interested in.

It's a good community, I've yet to see someone turn down help for a Newbie. Also, with RNG (scan), hunt some leapin' lizards for some leaping boots. 1 Pair of boots for 250k on Asura. Sometimes I can get this in one day, ^-^ so yeah, it's cheap if you really think about it.
Old 2004-04-22, 09:56   Link #10
KaeMeera

Thumbs down

I laugh at what you're talking about... You're telling someone who hasn't even played the game, yet, about how making game money and selling it IRL makes your game worth playing? Don't tell me that Square/Enix supports your way of exploiting the game. You shouldn't try to coax people into your bad habits, IMO.

In my case, it's not an issue about the money. 13 bucks a month? That's the same I payed for Everquest. But, I still won't play MMoRPGs because I have more important things to experience.
KaeMeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:37   Link #11
Sh1ka9on

Send a message via MSN to Sh1ka9on
No, i'm making the point that it is not very expensive.

btw, I always thought Everquest was a mmorpg...
Old 2004-04-23, 06:34   Link #12
Limiter
Dead Apostle

it does sounds cheap, 13$/mo. btw, I appreciate u tellin me on hows the game life, Sh1ka9on. I kinda know whats going on. since I played RO beta before, money making is quite crucial. and yes buddies is quite important. I'd play offline FF game IF Im gonna go solo.

Of course, it can be afforded if a person has a part-time job or something. thank god I have.

Tech question: Does radeon 9000 pro and 512SD ram works will fit the game? (one of the things that worries me)
Old 2004-04-23, 11:12   Link #13
KaeMeera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ka9on
btw, I always thought Everquest was a mmorpg...
Yeah, it is. I used to play it. I met my husband there.
But, I quit playing six months ago. I decided that a game with no ending really isn't worth all the years I put into it. Nor was it worth the money, however small an amount, I paid for it. Because I played the game most of my waking hours, all my RL friends disappeared and stopped calling. All the money I spent on it could've been used to buy my husband and I a cruise through Cancun or a couple of motorcycles.

Yet, it's all in how you look at it. Others may agree or disagree according to thier own experiences but there are thousands of MMoRPGs out there and they're all fundamentally the same.

So, if you like your life playing FFXI, RO, EQ, or whatever other game out there, then you're gonna keep doing it....reguardless of what other people say. Is it worth paying for? Well, I dunno... I guess that's up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limiter
Tech question: Does radeon 9000 pro and 512SD ram works will fit the game? (one of the things that worries me)
The box should tell you what the minimum system requirements are. I think you could also check the website or any online-store like EBgames.com and Amazon.
KaeMeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 14:07   Link #14
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I hope it's worth it. I live in Europe, so I had to order the US version. And considering how long I've been waiting for it, it had better be worth it!

Ordered it February 26th. Company sendt it FedEx to me on March 25th. It arrived yesterday, April 22nd (Federal EXPRESS my ass). And after finally installing it, I have to wait 4 and a half hours for it to download the update, because it's so damn slow (I think it's downloading at like 15-20kB/sec)! Still 2 1/2 hours remaining.

This had better be worth it... *grumble grumble*

Last edited by AG3; 2004-04-23 at 14:22.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 15:27   Link #15
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limiter
Yes, that setup will work fine with smooth framerates at 1024x768 with default details settings, as long as you have a 2GHz CPU. I helped a friend set up the game on his PC, and he's got the same video card and amount of RAM.

-- Sour-Do
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 22:01   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
And after finally installing it, I have to wait 4 and a half hours for it to download the update, because it's so damn slow (I think it's downloading at like 15-20kB/sec)! Still 2 1/2 hours remaining.
Yup that sounds about right, I'm running on Pentium 4 and cable modem and it took me around 3 hours to download all the update the first time log in. FFXI already were running for more than a year in Japan already, so they had alot of updates over the year. That's what make a MMORPG good, it evolves over the year. ^^
Old 2004-04-24, 04:47   Link #17
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Well, I've had a run of it. After about 7 hours, the status is as follows:

Male Hume fighter, level 8, died 4 or 5 times (damn goblins, damn orcs, damn poison...). Not sure what to think about it yet. Gonna make a new character tomorrow, probably thief or mage of some sort.

This game seems to me like it will be pretty boring if you intend to do it completely solo (which is more or less impossible later on, from what I've heard).

And by the way, who's idea was it to make regular potions cost almost 1000 gil!? Greedy bastards, earning a profit on others' misfortunes...
Old 2004-04-24, 05:39   Link #18
Secca
nya`
*Artist

lol yeah Lv 1-10 are like that, we die alot, people running around naked near town chasing bees and bats. ^^

You get to start grouping after 10+ i think, go to low level dungeon or next zone. ^^
Altho I know a japanese player in Shiva server that has been playing for over a year and he's be soloing as redmage to lvl 60. He's a nice person, but rather shy and doesn't know how to socialize much. so he goes solo. ^^
Old 2004-04-24, 06:30   Link #19
Limiter
Dead Apostle

I woundnt say Id be wasting my time. As for my situation, I work and study aswell, but I got my bro living with me, and hes the same, so we just share the same computer (take turns in playing), resulting my gaming time in half or less (if I dl animes).

I like to work on my pencil/papers more, prolly playing this will just to pass my time.

I got 1.6 Ghz, btw.
Old 2004-04-24, 06:37   Link #20
Katsuyuki
Haru Glory Fan

Send a message via AIM to Katsuyuki Send a message via MSN to Katsuyuki
The game is very challangeing for lvls 1-15 but once you get your sub job and start partying with friends it becomes very enjoyable. I still have the game on my pc but i never really got the far my highest lvl character is a lvl 13? i think warrior but that was cause my friends had already been playing for about 3 weeks before me so they had a huge jump in lvls so i never really had anyone to party with and i can never seem to find a party so that made it almost impossable to lvl at all..

I pretty much stoped playing once my friends moved on to lineage 2 which is an amazing game also i liked FFXI but Lineage 2 is just plain amazing and in a few days its going Live/Gold and that will bring a whole bunch of updates with it. Right now Lineage 2 is much more enjoyable for me but FFXI is a great game once you get past the tough stages. {sigh} i still wish i could have gotten to lvl 15 at least oh well.

Well anyway if any of you want to meet up on XI id be happy to (cause I still like the game i just don't really have a reason to play it >.>.....)
Just pm me on here or email me and ill give you my game name and stuff
Katsuyuki is offline   Reply With Quote