AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-10-27, 17:03   Link #61
DarkDooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
One site that is useful is the AniBin Blog (Japanese), which analyses the TV broadcasts of shows to determine if they were upscaled and what the native resolution of the actual source appears to be (using FFT). There's a list of currently airing anime that's of relevance. Of note, other than pure CG works, the only anime airing now that contains full-frame 1080p/i content is the OP and ED of Hyouka.
Thanks, that site is awesome.

I know this thread is old but I hope someone can still answer my question here.

I wanna use that site to determine in what resolution I should download my stuff but since the site is in japanese it's sometimes quite hard to understand.

Things like these are easy to understand:

HV1280 = 720p
HV1280+ = higher than 720p but still lower than 1080p
HV960 = 960x540
HVFULL = 1080p

But there are a lot I don't understand. Here's the list:

4:3
4:3-i
4:3-ip
4:3-p
LB-4:3
LB-i
LB-ip
LB-p
LB-SD-i
LB-SD-ibp
LB-SD-ip
LB-SD-p
SD-HV
SD-i
SD-ibp
SD-ip
SD-p
SD放送

I believe those are all. I don't know what resolution those are supposed to represent. Can anyone help me?
Old 2013-10-27, 17:17   Link #62
DGDCOne
Memoria Vice Captain

I'll stick with 720p. it's doesn't matter whether it's 720p or 1080p, The anime I watched is still HD.
Old 2013-10-28, 00:10   Link #63
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDooM View Post
But there are a lot I don't understand. Here's the list:

4:3
4:3-i
4:3-ip
4:3-p
LB-4:3
LB-i
LB-ip
LB-p
LB-SD-i
LB-SD-ibp
LB-SD-ip
LB-SD-p
SD-HV
SD-i
SD-ibp
SD-ip
SD-p
SD放送

I believe those are all. I don't know what resolution those are supposed to represent. Can anyone help me?
I'm pretty sure these are all SDTV-era resolutions, so 480p and less (technically NTSC is 720 x 486, and then skewed either to 4:3 or 16:9 by stretching the pixels). 4:3 refers to the aspect ratio, meaning it was designed to fit older TVs (before widescreen). LB refers to Letterbox, meaning it has black bars on the bottom to fit 16:9 content in a 4:3 image. SD is also alluding to the fact that it's SD-resolution, perhaps still being broadcast (upscaled) to HD. All of the i, ip, p, and so on refer to the sorts of frames in the broadcast.

Anyway, bottom line is, for all of these resolutions, "HD" broadcasts were upscales, and any Blu-Rays may have been upscales as well. You could probably stick with DVD-level encodes for this content; 480p or less.
Old 2013-10-28, 02:54   Link #64
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Well, watching it on my 55 inch TV(soon to be 80++ inch) I'd prefer 1080p though I'm hoping anime will release 8k UHD soon.
Old 2013-10-28, 05:15   Link #65
klare

720 is good enough for computers

with my 40 in TV, mkv files show no difference between 720 and 1080, so I stick with 720

but of coz I do think watching in 1080 is the ultimate enjoyment, for now
Old 2013-10-28, 09:14   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I run my computer through my 40" TV for anime viewing with the screen's resolution at 1280x720. (I can't read the text from across the room at 1920x1080.) I'll occasionally kick it up to 1080p and watch either a 1080p Crunchyroll or Blu-ray rip. I can see the extra sharpness in some of the lines and such, but there isn't enough additional detail to make it worth doing very often. I just stick to 720p since that's the native resolution of the material.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 11:59   Link #67
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

The distinction between 1080p and 720p is quite negligible in my 24" screen, but watching 1080p in my big screen tv, I can really appreciate the difference (like for example the new NGE movies).

So for me it becomes a matter of bandwidth (for streams), storage (for downloads), or price (for discs). Before I was only on a 10mbit connection, and that wasn't really feasible for 1080p streaming without stuttering, though it was great for its price since I can download overnight with no transfer cap. Now I upgraded to 35mbit, and I've switched over to mostly streaming CR now, if only to try and support the creators in some way. And with still no transfer cap, I don't see why I should go 720p.

Only exception is when I'm on the go, since my Note 2 can only go up to 720p regardless. I should get the Note 3, but I dunno if it's worth another $750 for a better resolution but less battery life, and I'm not even sure if my cell bandwidth can handle it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 02:33   Link #68
Vegard Aune

Well my PC's maximum resolution is only 1366x768, so when watching stuff on my PC 1080p is worthless to me...

That said, even if I did have a screen-resolution high enough that I'd actually be able to see the full uncompressed image, I'd still just go for 720p most of the time, unless what I'm watching is actually animated at 1080p. Which is still kind of insanely rare if I'm not mistaken? Now, old cel-animated shows or movies though, I would definitely rather go with 1080p if I had a screen that actually supported it. Seeing how they have no set resolution in the first place, my usual problem with 1080p anime (aka that it's pretty much always upscaled from 720p) would not apply.
Old 2013-10-30, 12:27   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Movies on film stock have more native resolution than 1080p, so you will almost certainly see higher quality in that format. Digitally-produced anime television programming generally tops out at 720p.
Old 2013-10-30, 13:28   Link #70
4Tran

Movies are about the only anime-related work that comes out in 1080p, so it's sort of redundant (or worse!) for everything else. About the only time you'd want it in that format is if whatever you're watching in on has a poor scaler so a pre-upscaled video will give you better quality. But most of the time, you're probably just going to run into excess artifacts from sharpness filters and the like.
Old 2013-10-30, 14:06   Link #71
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have a small HDTV in my room. It is 26 inches and only 720p. I hear that 1080p only really matters on an HDTV when they are big, though. If I watch anime or play HD consoles on my 720p TV, even if I'm close like 4 feet or even 3 feet away from the screen, it should still look pretty good, right?
Old 2013-10-30, 14:44   Link #72
4Tran

Everything else being equal, higher resolutions are always going to better. For a 26" display, 1080p will look better than 720p until you're really far away. Still 720p video is going to look pretty good regardless of any other considerations - it's just that a higher resolution is better. You can read more about this subject here: http://www.videograndpa.com/?p=2043
Old 2013-10-30, 15:27   Link #73
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I have a small HDTV in my room. It is 26 inches and only 720p. I hear that 1080p only really matters on an HDTV when they are big, though. If I watch anime or play HD consoles on my 720p TV, even if I'm close like 4 feet or even 3 feet away from the screen, it should still look pretty good, right?
Both size and viewing distance matter, remember that a 26 inch TV at 3-4 feet is equivalent to a 52 inch at 6-8 feet or 78 inch at 9-12 feet in terms of what detail you can make out.

While I'll admit my experience with 1080P anime has been limited due to bandwidth and the like, I find 720P just fine on my 23 inch monitor at 2.5 feet and as others have said a lot of anime is actually produced in 720P anyway. Personally, I think anime fans have a lot more pressing issues to worry about image quality wise than 1080P v. 720P - ie making sure whatever you're watching doesn't have blocking during dark scenes, mismatched frame rates, etc.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 23:37   Link #74
Vegard Aune

Also I would like to mention that as far as I'm concerned, resolutions higher than 1080p are useless. Period. Like, I've literally been to a screening in a movie-theater where, due to the lack of any proper film-prints or such, they were just screening the movies from a BluRay. (Incidentally the movies in question were The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 5 Centimeters Per Second and two Japanese live action movies, Always: Sunset on Third Street and its sequel.) The experience was completely indistinguishable from any other cinema screening I've ever been to. And I was sitting on like, second row, so I was about as close to the screen as one can get. The only reason I even know that they were using BluRays was because I asked the people hosting the screening about it, due to having noticed that "Say, I noticed that the first few minutes of 5cm didn't have subtitles and then they popped in afterwards... Are you projecting from a BluRay?"
Old 2013-10-31, 13:20   Link #75
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Should I bother in investing in a 1080p TV to replace my 720p one? I play HD consoles on this TV and a Wii U and PS4 will go on it. If I was gaming on a 26 inch 720p TV and am 5 feet or even 4 feet from the screen, would I be missing out all that much on what I could get on a 26 inch 1080p TV? If so, would it be worth the couple or few hundred dollars it'd take to upgrade?
Old 2013-10-31, 13:47   Link #76
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Should I bother in investing in a 1080p TV to replace my 720p one? I play HD consoles on this TV and a Wii U and PS4 will go on it. If I was gaming on a 26 inch 720p TV and am 5 feet or even 4 feet from the screen, would I be missing out all that much on what I could get on a 26 inch 1080p TV? If so, would it be worth the couple or few hundred dollars it'd take to upgrade?
Games with a native 1080p resolution and blu-ray movies will look a lot nicer on a proper display than at 1280 x 720. However, how much this matters to a particular viewer depends on individual taste. I'd switch in a heartbeat, but if money is an issue, you can wait a year or two.

If playing games is important to you, then you should look for a TV with a low response time or one with a game/computer mode.
Old 2013-10-31, 15:00   Link #77
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I went to the websites for Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, and LG and looked up 26 inch TVs. All five companies have no small TVs with 1080p, just 720p only. I'd have to get a 32 inch TV to get 1080p, and 32 inch might be too big for where the TV will go. Now if I can fit a 32 inch TV there, then I guess I'll invest in a 1080p TV that size in the future, but I don't need one right away. I want a Wii U soon and some of its killer apps are 1080p, but I don't plan to get a PS4 for quite some time.
Old 2013-10-31, 23:38   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My daughter bought this 32" Samsung and loves it. She mostly uses it for gaming with her computer, but since she's in a dorm, she can use the Internet features over the campus wireless network, too. At $329, I thought about buying one to replace the big SD set in my bedroom. Tomorrow it's going to cost me about $17 more when Amazon begins assessing sales tax here in Massachusetts.
Old 2013-11-01, 02:50   Link #79
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

1080P on 27 inch is basically the domain of computer monitors, though some of those offer HDMI in. Probably around $250. If you're planning to viewing from TV distances I'd suggest seeing if you can fit a 32 inch 1080P though, I think the combined size and resolution increase would be much nicer than resolution alone.

BTW, most current console games render at 720P or less internally then scale as necessary:
http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1113344
The PS4 may change that. COD:Ghosts and Battlefield 4 have internal resolutions of 1920X1080 and 1600x900 respectively on the PS4 - compared to 1280x720 for both on the Xbox One. I expect that trend may continue as it appears PS4 packs a more powerful graphics chip.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote