AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-20, 12:19   Link #601
Tenzen12

Is it just me or Izuru using same pen as Eiji from Bakuman? Also I wonder that "I HAVE CONTROL" is it some military procedure or it was shout-out to Betterman?

I liked this easygoing episode and I liked Kei even more. These "filler episodes" has it's charm I often miss in other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post

And now for the "the plot is not moving forwards by leaps and bounds rawr double rawr valvrave is so much better" comments.
What?! Valvrave has plot? First time I heard about that

Anyway Tamaki and Reika has most plot of this season and it move just fine.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 12:20   Link #602
Irenesharda

Well, we've hit the half-way point and again absolutely nothing has happened.

I forgot how much I hate "nothing" episodes. I haven't had to experience one of those in a while, but MJP wants to get in all the cliches so I guess I should have expected it.

Oh well, the pure definition of "filler"...

The only side story of note that was somewhat interesting was that of Asagi and Anna, but even that was because of slightly manipulated sappiness.

In the end, nothing to talk about with this episode. I didn't hate it, but there was nothing to like about it either. I'll have to give it a 4.45/10.

Next week seems to finally be introducing that raven-hared character that's been in the background in a few episodes. Will he (she?) be coming to join the team, or just be another minor supporting character?

Edit: I have found out that next week will be recap episode. A recap episode....seriously? Two "nothing" episodes in a row? And just when I was thinking this show had some promise...this and last week's episode as well as next episode have once again lowered my expectations.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 12:28   Link #603
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I haven't had to experience one of those in a while, but MJP wants to get in all the cliches so I guess I should have expected it.

Edit: I have found out that next week will be recap episode. A recap episode....seriously? Two "nothing" episodes in a row? And just when I was thinking this show had some promise...this and last week's episode as well as next episode have once again lowered my expectations.
Well, almost every action anime aimed at teenagers like this has the obligatory “fanservice episode” and “recap episode”. It’s more of an an anime-industry thing instead of a story-cliche. Even the supposedly “high-brow” Gargantia (fanservice episode 4), Shingeki no Kyoujin (planned recap episode), and Gundam series can’t avoid it (just to name a few).
Old 2013-06-20, 13:22   Link #604
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, almost every action anime aimed at teenagers like this has the obligatory “fanservice episode” and “recap episode”. It’s more of an an anime-industry thing instead of a story-cliche. Even the supposedly “high-brow” Gargantia (fanservice episode 4), Shingeki no Kyoujin (planned recap episode), and Gundam series can’t avoid it (just to name a few).
Gundam series I can understand since your average Gundam series has around 50 or so episodes ( and even so, some of the earlier series, while having filler/fanservice episode, didn't really have recap episodes for some reason...) and so probably need filler episodes once or twice.
Gargantia has been all over the place, and whoever decided to put two worthless fanservice episodes in there and then try to pack the plot in at the end, should be shot.
Shingeki I don't think needs a recap episode, but I guess they can afford it since they've been running at full steam since episode 1.

To me, MJP just hasn't gotten anywhere near enough into the plot in order to afford this many filler/nothing episodes. Not enough has really happened. At least with Gundam, we usually don't see recap episodes until we're at least 2/3rds of the way through the plot.

Spoiler for New Character info:

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-06-20, 13:28   Link #605
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

So we really get a sixth ranger mecha? Neat!
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 13:31   Link #606
Tenzen12

This show dosn't take itself too seriously and comedy has it's valid place in it. If you don't like it blame your own' taste, this show never pretended be something else. I am not gonna say such cheese lines as "drop it if you don't like it", but just warn this definitely isn't last episode like this regardless if you can deal with it or not.
Old 2013-06-20, 14:03   Link #607
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Another snail pace episode. And what was that thing the glasses dude and his muscle engineers were waiting for?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 14:50   Link #608
LKK

Tamaki & Kei's "day off" reminded me of the early days of the US manned space program where the Mercury & Gemini & to some extent the Apollo astronauts were as much PR tools as they were astronauts-in-training. The early astronauts' PR assignments may not have as outrageous as Tamaki & Kei's were, but the episode had a great deal of historical truth to it nonetheless.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 15:10   Link #609
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought it was quite an enjoyable breather episode. Pretty hilarious seeing Kei completely lose her sanity and I'd lol every time it panned to Suruga because I'd just keep thinking "What is that dumbass up to?" .

Asagi's story was also pretty sweet even if it was a total cliché.

Looks like there's a new character next episode. Looks interesting although I'd be happier if they carried on exploring the plot elements they already have rather than introduce new ones.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 16:07   Link #610
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I thought it was quite an enjoyable breather episode. Pretty hilarious seeing Kei completely lose her sanity and I'd lol every time it panned to Suruga because I'd just keep thinking "What is that dumbass up to?" .
I was thinking if he was about to do an orbital skydive. Turns out it wasn't.

LOL at Rin's rant. Also her Deliciously Flat Chest!

Crap! Gramps wants Asagi as an in-law.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 17:53   Link #611
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A decent, lighthearted filler episode I guess.

I can accept the existence of fanservicey episodes. I can even accept the existence of recap episodes, even though I loathe them with every pore of my being.

But having one after the other is just cruel. It means that for those who care mainly about the plot, the show is effectively on hiatus for three weeks. *sigh*

Oh well, I did like Asagi's date. That was cute. And Tamaki is very likable at least, and this episode showcased that well.
Old 2013-06-20, 18:10   Link #612
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Tamaki's boobs are disgustingly huge. There, I said it. I like big boobs but this is too much. Doesn't even look like boobs anymore.

I usually enjoy fanservice/breather episodes but that one was pretty meh.

Quote:
Another snail pace episode. And what was that thing the glasses dude and his muscle engineers were waiting for?
A new AHSMB and its pilot going by the preview.
Old 2013-06-20, 18:15   Link #613
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Tamaki's boobs are disgustingly huge. There, I said it. I like big boobs but this is too much. Doesn't even look like boobs anymore.
Agreed. It's strange, though, because I hadn't really noticed it until now. But that picture of her in the nurse outfit... just ghastly.
Old 2013-06-20, 19:39   Link #614
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
At least with Gundam, we usually don't see recap episodes until we're at least 2/3rds of the way through the plot.
Gundam SEED, Victory Gundam, Gundam Wing, and some others beg to differ. They already have recap episode when they're still at 1/4 (or even 1/5) of the entire plot. For example, SEED already has recap episode just after Archangel descends to Earth which nothing much notable happened before it aside from character introduction, Gundam-stealing, and Fllay's dad killed.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:38   Link #615
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Shingeki I don't think needs a recap episode, but I guess they can afford it since they've been running at full steam since episode 1.

To me, MJP just hasn't gotten anywhere near enough into the plot in order to afford this many filler/nothing episodes. Not enough has really happened. At least with Gundam, we usually don't see recap episodes until we're at least 2/3rds of the way through the plot.
Its not a filler ep if it isn't based off of any source material . Its pretty much a fan-service episode. When you get a series that isn't 10-13 episodes this happens pretty frequently. Kyojin is taking it way to slow. When you get a recap episode its two reasons. Either A) they're behind on schedule (ex: total eclipse) or B) they need something to fill the slot (ex: code geass). In the case of gundam its usually because they have so much technical jargon they need to make a "recap" episode. Sunrise should really do this for Horizon... of all things.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:56   Link #616
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. It's strange, though, because I hadn't really noticed it until now. But that picture of her in the nurse outfit... just ghastly.
It's extremely disturbing to say the least. I'd take Kei any day.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 01:26   Link #617
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Gundam SEED, Victory Gundam, Gundam Wing, and some others beg to differ. They already have recap episode when they're still at 1/4 (or even 1/5) of the entire plot. For example, SEED already has recap episode just after Archangel descends to Earth which nothing much notable happened before it aside from character introduction, Gundam-stealing, and Fllay's dad killed.
Hmm, maybe it's because I only watch Gundam once I get the series on dvd and therefore completely skip recap episodes. The only one I actively remember watching was in Seed when Kira and Athrun met for the first time off the battlefield.
I don't care for recap episodes in Gundam either. I don't like them in any show I watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Its not a filler ep if it isn't based off of any source material . Its pretty much a fan-service episode. When you get a series that isn't 10-13 episodes this happens pretty frequently. Kyojin is taking it way to slow. When you get a recap episode its two reasons. Either A) they're behind on schedule (ex: total eclipse) or B) they need something to fill the slot (ex: code geass). In the case of gundam its usually because they have so much technical jargon they need to make a "recap" episode. Sunrise should really do this for Horizon... of all things.

I consider the episode to be filler if it doesn't have any meaning to the overall plot or to the character development, is most likely never referenced again within the stories plot, and is just there to fill up time. And not all stories have to have source material in order to have filler. Code Geass had filler episodes, and if you want to go by a western example, A:TLA did as well, and neither show had original source material.

I differ that from a fanservice episode, which is usually something like a swimming or picnic episode. This episode could be considered both in my book. That's why I call it a "nothing" episode.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-06-21, 02:19   Link #618
Tenzen12

All stories have to have source material in order to have filer. No source material = no filer by definition. Term you look for is "Breather episode" in metter of fact.
Old 2013-06-21, 03:56   Link #619
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'd have to agree to that as well. It looks like each boob is the size of her head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I didn't actually think it was too bad until the swimsuits at the end of the episode. Then it just looked ridiculous.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 04:58   Link #620
SQA

I remember, some pages back, of a picture with Rin-Rin, Tamaki & Kei in bunny outfits. I thought they had made Tamaki's breasts too big. No, that's canon. And those are cannons, haha.

Peko-chan is scary. And a questionable driver.

One thing to keep in mind with these characters: they started 1 dimensional as part of the story (memory wipe & singular personality focuses). These episodes are an important part of building those characters, as this is a full 2 cours series. We actually did get some deeper character explanation and interaction.

The important bit (fair warning: biochemistry talk) about Kei is finally confirmation about her diet. She takes in a heavy amount of sugar, but it's almost always with a heavy amount of dairy. While it's a solid balance, the important bit is that there's enough protein to keep up with her mental energy drain. She needed that much to handle that many different people, as the toll on her mental reserves is quite high from dealing with people. (Going partially to the stand-offish personality)

Tamaki's breasts are also partially a joke, since we got to see how big they are. She's got a set of "balloons" there. Think of how her cockpit is setup. She has extra padding, haha.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction