Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-22, 01:52   Link #9481
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
98.2% say yes, while 1.2% say no... Yet they still want the votes of the "silent majority" which will make absolutely no difference compared to those numbers? What exactly is the point? There is either gonna be no response from the silent majority, or it will only boost the no (if they actually say that) by 1.6% which will make it 2.8%, which overall is slaughtered by the 98.2%...
According to your logic australia has just about 60,000 human inhabitants.
Old 2010-10-22, 03:11   Link #9482
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Lol silent majority. Since when was that so important I've never heard of anyone taking account of a silent majority. I think someone behind the scenes is calling the shots here. That or perhaps someone is in denial of the fact that they're either pervs (in the case of pervy games) or simply don't like the idea of graphical games. So I have to ask, why don't they extend the argument to movies and other forms of entertainment? I bet Piranhas 3d was shown in Australian theaters, so games like L4D2 and other R18+ games should be permitted to float around in their genuine versions. Roger Rambo said it right, since when did Australian politics become so anal after getting colonized by convicts?
Old 2010-10-22, 07:58   Link #9483
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Witch hunters like to pretend they're the leader of the mob. Somewhere here there is a group of people absolutely panicked that someone somewhere might be having fun. And we all know that burning witches is a great distraction while we loot your granaries, your treasury, and your future.
Old 2010-10-22, 10:46   Link #9484
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Witch hunters like to pretend they're the leader of the mob. Somewhere here there is a group of people absolutely panicked that someone somewhere might be having fun. And we all know that burning witches is a great distraction while we loot your granaries, your treasury, and your future.
Yep has always worked... until things got very messy (revolution).
Old 2010-10-22, 11:38   Link #9485
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
At least with revoltion the ''witch hunter'' might end up the same way thar theit victim.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:41   Link #9486
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Not if all the witches are burned before the revolution starts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:49   Link #9487
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Three killed, 6 wounded in stabbing at Philippine elementary school
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1768688/
Old 2010-10-22, 12:34   Link #9488
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Three killed, 6 wounded in stabbing at Philippine elementary school
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1768688/
Also: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...school-kills-3
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=200

That damned psycho, he got stoned. Wondering what triggered to go mad like that, except it's like every other school rampage around the world.
Old 2010-10-22, 12:37   Link #9489
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Despite being being poor, we don't actually get a lot of this murderous school violence very often, except for the usual frat-related deaths over at the UP campus. Otherwise school related deaths here are kind of rare.
Old 2010-10-22, 12:55   Link #9490
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
At which point it keeps working, though possibly for a different set of people.
Old 2010-10-22, 15:44   Link #9491
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

French Senate approves raising retirement age to 62
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1769213/
All those days of strike against it... and the british might raise the retirement age to 66.
Old 2010-10-22, 15:49   Link #9492
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
All those days of strike against it... and the british might raise the retirement age to 66.
Well, good thing I don't intend to spend my retirement in the UK
Old 2010-10-22, 16:04   Link #9493
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's somewhat more complicated than that. We've got two milestones when it comes to retirement. One at 60 (now 62), where you can retire with a full pension - if you've worked for at least 41 years. The other's at 65 (now 67) where everyone can retire.
Old 2010-10-23, 00:17   Link #9494
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its kind of odd, the closer I get to "retirement", the less interested I am in it. I've already "de-corporatized" (not a cog in a Dilbert-distopian machine) so now its more an issue of keeping multiple revenue streams going.
Old 2010-10-23, 01:06   Link #9495
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I know Vexx, in your case you really have a point. But imagine someone who has to do hard labor his whole life, like for example construction workers. Can you imagine someone is working to 67 in a lower ranking position (no administrational or paper filling job) in construction or e.g. mining business? I am sure the health factor becomes a very important one here in the process of reaching retirement age (in Germany there is no 62 years step - if you want to have full pension you have to work until 67 for males and 65 for females).
Besides, employers in various businesses usually don't want to have people that old employed. Which - on average - makes it a lot harder now to stay employed until retirement age. So, in a sense, the state calculates a certain failrate of people in here, who basically have to retire earlier - which means they get a fraction of their pension. This is akin to state designed old-age poverty in many cases.
Thats the real problem in our state funded pension systems.
Old 2010-10-23, 01:22   Link #9496
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Totally agreed - especially on the hard labor aspect. In fact, one of the reasons I am "decorporatized" and basically free-lancing (software, computer maintenance, consulting, tutoring, oddjobs, etc) is basically age/experience discrimination. I was being passed over for employment I was qualified to the hilt for - because their HR people couldn't cope with the notion I was willing to work for less than I'd been paid at previous work... or that I'd be 'unmanageable' because of my management experience in addition to my technical experience. Not my speculation, I know a few people in HR and they admit the problem is rampant in US corporations.
Old 2010-10-23, 06:20   Link #9497
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am not sure if the culture there (in Karlsland and Liberion) is whether people wanted to retire or not when the reach the age of 60, but here, it seems that those born after the 1980s wanted to retire, while those born before that didn't wanted to. Over here we don't have a state-funded pension system, it is more like a social insurance where the government forces both the worker and employer to make a contribution to it.

And also, it seems that the culture in Western countries do not appoint amakudari-type positions to government or ex-government workers upon request; I have a teacher in my high school who was an ex-prison officer of high rank. And I accidentally crossed his path once by quoting a counter to what he is trying to teach, and I am actually quite surprised that he didn't blast me like how my secondary school teachers would.

There is a NCO who I had once worked with near his retirement during my NS told me that there are two kinds of retirement : an official one and a self-imposed one, and the real retirement is self-imposed one - as long as the person wants to do something that he likes, and is willing to go to ends to search for it no matter his age, he will find it.

I am not sure how many see value or truth in his statement, somehow I do agree with him.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-10-23, 06:25   Link #9498
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't know about you guys but I intend to continue practicing to my death bed, even if I can't hear through my stethoscope anymore.
Old 2010-10-23, 06:33   Link #9499
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't know about you guys but I intend to continue practicing to my death bed, even if I can't hear through my stethoscope anymore.
That is the direct opposite of the Hippocratic oath you are practicing, so remind me that I don't want to be your patient 40 years down the road.

I intend to "de-corporatise" myself after I have proven myself to be financially independent and become a freelance journalist/musician/artist - I enjoy planning my own work time without any obligations.

Meanwhile, I am saving up enough money to play the stock market - I HAVE to start to learn how to control real money instead of paper ones because I don't feel any fear or greed cornering the forex market on demo accounts.

Old 2010-10-23, 06:33   Link #9500
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I intend to prepare my retirement so that I have that option when I come of age. It'll always be time to decide whether I want to keep on working then.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international