AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Negima Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 2 13.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 6.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 13.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 26.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 20.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 6.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-26, 06:43   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Negima Episode 13 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Negima, Episode 13!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use clearly marked Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-12-27, 14:36   Link #2
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Episode 13 was a mixed bag IMO.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-27, 14:49   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'd think that someone who could pull off Moon Phase and Pani Poni Dash could handle this series with his eyes closed, but it looks more and more like Shinbo is in over his head. I just really get the feeling of watching a juggler with a few more objects in the air than he is comfortable with.

I went into the series loving the re-interp and the fresh style but the back of my brain is starting to chirp "trainwreck ahead.... *glorious* trainwreck... but still a trainwreck". It may have a lot of action but the series is based on material that, at its heart, is still character-driven.

In the manga, whatever Ken A. thinks he is doing ("I'm a doing an action manga, yo!"), Negima is still pretty much character-driven entertainment and that needs to be tended to in the anime or the people with the wallets may be unamused.

Just how *is* this series doing with the Japan fans? Anyone got some ratings or anecdotal noises?
Old 2006-12-28, 11:27   Link #4
Cai Calamigarde
Memento mori...

New opening was funny !!

I don't know how was the earlier Negima... But this is not that bad. I am against fanservice after all...
Old 2006-12-28, 13:04   Link #5
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cai Calamigarde View Post
New opening was funny !!
Oh yeah, the new OP was definitely enjoyable with the characters in their "suka" forms, especiallay at the end where seal Nodoka catches up with Chupacabra Negi (those two definitely deserve each other IMO). Also,
Spoiler:

BTW, another thing that was great in the most recent episode: the next episode preview, with
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-28, 14:17   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just how *is* this series doing with the Japan fans? Anyone got some ratings or anecdotal noises?
We'll have to wait for DVD sales to get a true sense, but I can tell you that TV ratings to the end of November weren't bad (1.5 to 2.3, which is double what the previous show in the timeslot was doing), and it seems to have a fair bit of buzz (41+ threads on 2ch, for example). The first DVD is the 168th best-selling DVD on Amazon at the moment over a month before release, which isn't too bad (of course, Haruhi disc 7 is number 4). Of course that's all anecdotal at this point, but it doesn't seem to be a flop.

Personally, I think it's too early to call the series a trainwreck or to say the director's in over his head, but we'll see what happens. As you say, we can only wait to see what the people with the wallets decide. I'm still enjoying the show a great deal, personally.
Old 2006-12-28, 14:58   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thats my little bipolar issue ... I'm enjoying the hell out of it, mostly because I set aside my expectations from the manga. Its a wonderfully goofy little show even down to the occasional "Asuna's hair does mime" moments.
Old 2006-12-29, 13:05   Link #8
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Thats my little bipolar issue ... I'm enjoying the hell out of it, mostly because I set aside my expectations from the manga. Its a wonderfully goofy little show even down to the occasional "Asuna's hair does mime" moments.
Similar thing here. I'm well aware of how this series is going to be different when compared to the manga, and I do enjoy the comedy moments involving the other students. However, I kinda wish that the people working on this show can have a better idea of how to handle more "serious" plotlines, as too much "side character" comedy bits can result in disappointment when it comes to the more interesting main story involving Negi, his Ministra Magi, and the "main student of the episode".
Old 2007-01-02, 01:39   Link #9
USCPharmacist

This is Pani Pani Dash 2.....and I hate that show, so I give this episode a one...in a good way...

Ok man, that's it, I am probably not going to care much about this show when I could not finish this episode.
Old 2007-01-02, 09:55   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lol yea definatly the new OP was like WTF!? O.o but funny as hell XD

okey onto the ep...
Spoiler:

dam i cant think of whats gonna happen next

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-02, 12:04   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist View Post
This is Pani Pani Dash 2.....and I hate that show, so I give this episode a one...in a good way...

Ok man, that's it, I am probably not going to care much about this show when I could not finish this episode.
I enjoyed PPD... but I did take up this series to watch Negima of some sort, not a PPD 2 ... so that is my biggest disappointment. I thought Shinbo was going to take a Tsukuyomi Moon Phase twist of the manga originally.
Basically, I enjoy Negima!? as it is if I just treat it as complete total omake (all that comedic silly sidebar stuff you see on the covers of manga or in chapter pages that is just fun silly stuff mostly unrelated to the storyline).
Old 2007-01-02, 13:11   Link #12
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist View Post

To me, the biggest problem isn't the Pani Poni-like humor, which I'm enjoying, but rather the fact that Shinbou doesn't seem to realize that this type of humor (more specifically, those that involve other students outside of Negi's Ministra Magi) ends up ruining episodes in which viewers like me prefer to see some some character development and action.
Old 2007-01-02, 13:29   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah... (slow to make connections), we're agreeing with each other on "some other forum" as well. This dichotomy of enjoying the series while simultaneously thinking "wow, he missed an opportunity big time" just seems to pervade my view of what he's doing with the show.

Just "PPD"ing Negima seems fundamentally lazy on his part to me (assuming he's actually paying attention and not off somewhere drunk and karaoke strolling while the clueless minions just cobble quick gags together and call it an episode).
Old 2007-01-03, 00:09   Link #14
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Ah... (slow to make connections), we're agreeing with each other on "some other forum" as well. This dichotomy of enjoying the series while simultaneously thinking "wow, he missed an opportunity big time" just seems to pervade my view of what he's doing with the show.

Just "PPD"ing Negima seems fundamentally lazy on his part to me (assuming he's actually paying attention and not off somewhere drunk and karaoke strolling while the clueless minions just cobble quick gags together and call it an episode).
One thing to keep in mind: along with Negima!?, Shinbou (the director of this series) is also working on a second anime series this season, Hidamari Sketch. Hence, it's likely that the recent "problems" with the last two episodes could be the result of him putting more focus on the first couple episodes of his new series.

Last edited by TnAdct1; 2007-01-03 at 12:55.
Old 2007-01-03, 01:26   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

oye vey... we're screwed then... ah well, enjoy the pretty pictures (though there have been fewer of those) -- the sight of Kaede kitty-stalking Negi in the tent a few episodes back pretty much made the series for me ... talk about guilty pleasure.
Old 2007-01-03, 22:53   Link #16
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Wow dig the song in the begining. I wonder if they gonna release a single for it lol.<---- SOMEONE PLEASE NOTIFY ME IF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS!

Back to the ep.
Well the only part i hated in this episode was the begining. When Chamo explain the situation I at least expected them to be shock for in most parts Chisame because she seems like the only character from the manga and the regular anime to be sane
Old 2007-01-20, 01:39   Link #17
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Since Mahora fansub group released episodes 10-13, I'm going to comment on those episodes all at once since I don't feel like going into each thread to make a post.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-20, 21:05   Link #18
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

How about we forget all about Negi and his class and let the rest of the series be about Chachamaru, Eva, and Takamichi wandering around, eating ramen and taking names. Instant win.
Spoiler:

I did not like the new opening. The background is just a solid color with random tiny chibi-forms moving from side to side. The old OP was so much more dynamic... But yay for a new addition to the ending.

And I was also amused at how chibi-Negi was able to wrest the sword from Eva's hands. He's pretty strong for a chupacabra, lol.
Old 2007-01-20, 23:13   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
How about we forget all about Negi and his class and let the rest of the series be about Chachamaru, Eva, and Takamichi wandering around, eating ramen and taking names. Instant win.
You know.. i'm actually pretty shocked that hasn't happened as a ending special. In a good way.

Anyway - i like where the show is going. At least its able to show us all that its allowed to have a plot while the jokes are still going, love it.
Old 2007-01-21, 00:28   Link #20
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Hehe, Takamichi and Eva make such a great team. :3 They share some ramen, Eva breaks random stuff, and Takamichi sneaks up behind the bad guy, says a witty remark, touches the bad guy with his ring, bad guy blows up ("You are already dead" ala FotNS style. :P). Leave some time for cool poses, then they move on to the next town.