Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-19, 01:35   Link #1
NeoSam

Ray The Animation

RAY THE ANIMATION

Starting in Spring 2006

Based on a manga for young men.

Its serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Champion RED.

From Manga-Sketchbook:

Quote:
Ray grew up on a farm, one that breeds and raises people as living, breathing organ donors. As a donor herself, Ray had her eyes taken away from her, but was given the gift of sight by a stranger. Ray's new sight, however, was far from ordinary. She was given x-ray vision. We meet Ray ten years later, now off the farm, working as a nurse and an underground medical doctor performing procedures for profit. A chance encounter with an old friend triggers Ray's memories of her difficult childhood, which inspires her to try to find the donor farm on which she was raised.

The premise of this manga is very intriguing. Raising people to be organ donors, underground medical procedures; this sounds like something from the darkest corners of our own world's science. How good this story will be depends on Akihito Yoshitomi's writing and art. Will it be a serious story, or one laced with slapstick and dark humour? I'm not familiar with Yoshitomi's work, but I hear his Eat-Man anime series was quite popular in Japan. Viz Communications had released the Eat-Man manga, in which the hero has the ability to absorb the capabilities of any weapon he eats. Strange, huh?
Genre: Seinen, Sci-fi, Adventure
Old 2005-12-21, 12:25   Link #2
NeoSam

The site for the anime has been opened: http://ray.tv/

Its based on a manga thats serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Champion RED.
For now there are 7 volumes released of this manga, here are the covers:

Genre: Seinen, Sci-fi, Adventure
Old 2005-12-21, 18:34   Link #3
SirHellsing420

OH SNAP!

I love this manga series! Believe me, this will turn into one of those weird yet highly interesting anime series.

This is the best news I've had all day.
Old 2005-12-28, 21:59   Link #4
multani2842

Arrow

The raw of the making of had just appear to show some scenes, the voices actors, the animation, etc .... Here some snapshot :

Well it's way too early to make a judgement so i will wait for the first episodes to be aired (gonna be too long ), but it was nice to find a little "insight" of this show. Nevertheless there was a little "shadow" for my taste: some background are quickly made (like the second image of the first line in the first picture above) and i hope it will be redone meantime.
Old 2005-12-28, 22:42   Link #5
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

The guy who saved Ray is actually the legendary
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-29, 03:28   Link #6
Sakuya
*Artist

I just watched that Making Of video and it shows us that they're going to use CGI for doing the operation scenes as well as showing Ray's x-ray vision. It looks really cool. It seems high-budget.

Oh, and doesn't Ray remind you a lot of Natsuki from Mai HiME?
Old 2005-12-29, 05:25   Link #7
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Oh, and doesn't Ray remind you a lot of Natsuki from Mai HiME?
Yes

I like it very very much.

And thanks multani2842 for the screenshots, you did a great job
Old 2005-12-29, 13:18   Link #8
SlugZilla
woofles

Her face especially her eyes reminded me of a bit of Tifa from FFVII. I can see where her hair is like natsuki.

The one part that stood out about the special is where the seiyuus wore a surgeon mask during recording. XD
Old 2005-12-29, 15:29   Link #9
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
The guy who saved Ray is actually the legendary
Spoiler:
Wow!
So "Ray" could be considered a spin off from the series that "guy" is from? Or is that the only reference to the series?
Old 2005-12-29, 16:18   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Her face especially her eyes reminded me of a bit of Tifa from FFVII. I can see where her hair is like natsuki.
I think it's the clothes that made her look like Tifa.
Old 2006-03-17, 13:08   Link #11
Scribble
Sloth

Post Ray: The Animation

The original thread was lost, I think.

Site:http://ray.tv/
Date Airing:
Animenfo (voice actors and more): http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3...e_animati.html

A beautiful surgeon Ray was transplanted eyes that could see through objects by a genius surgeon named B.J. With her eyes and genius technique, she has succeeded in difficult operations.

However, she has a terrible past that she wants to forget but she can’t.
She was bred without being given a name in a “white room” by an “organization” with children with the same circumstances. She was deprived her eyes by a man wearing an H-shaped ring. She had been there until that fateful day when someone saved her.

Ten years have passed since then, solving difficult events and operations, she is looking for the man who robbed her eyes, friends in the “white room”, and herself.
-animenfo

What intrigues me the most about Ray is that it takes place in the Black Jack universe. It's also great that a new Black Jack anime is ALSO airing in Spring, so whoever is interested in the Black Jack character can watch Blackjack 21 at the same time. I'm not entirely sure how all the Blackjack series fit together, but perhaps Blackjack 21 may make references to Ray?

I'll be putting this on my to watch list because the concept stands out, and it'll probably be one of the only few serious anime in Spring.
Old 2006-03-17, 13:11   Link #12
NeoSam

There's already a thread about this:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26487
Old 2006-03-17, 13:38   Link #13
Scribble
Sloth

Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about. It didn't show up when I searched for it. Guess this thread can be merged to it or deleted or something.
Old 2006-04-04, 21:52   Link #14
Sakuya
*Artist

So the first episode is airing tomorrow. The series will only have 13 episodes. And nobody seems to plan on subbing this yet.
Old 2006-04-05, 08:51   Link #15
CaiSter21

i hope someone does plan to sub it because the concept of the manga looked very interesting.
Old 2006-04-06, 01:52   Link #16
Sakuya
*Artist

This series doesn't seem to be popular amidst all the other shows. Because there's no news of it and no raws either.
Old 2006-04-06, 03:06   Link #17
naka

the show's being aired on several not-so-popular tv channels first, and a week or 2 later on the popular channels -_-'

patience...
Old 2006-04-06, 04:03   Link #18
Akirasuto.

Actually, the raws are out as I just finished watching it. Ep 1 does not disappoint.
Old 2006-04-06, 16:53   Link #19
iluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
So the first episode is airing tomorrow. The series will only have 13 episodes. And nobody seems to plan on subbing this yet.
Just wondering what your source is for it being 13 episodes. I've looked over the official web page as well as sites like moonphase, but haven't been able to find any information on the episode count (though it's quite possible I missed it due to my poor Japanese abilities). Anyway, if you could provide a link or something it would be much appreciated
Old 2006-04-06, 17:43   Link #20
Sakuya
*Artist

I got it from here but they removed RAY's episode count. I swear it said 13 before. Oh well. No matter how many episodes, let's hope it'll be a good series.

http://fansub.andrewlb.com/pukiwiki.php?Spring%202006
Closed Thread