AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2007-08-17, 09:44   Link #41
FireChick

I wish I could buy the DVD now but I can't. Guess I'll have to wait another two months til Image Anime (store in New York).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 18:53   Link #42
Kantarou
Fly in the Sky

Mizuru's voice really suits her, so does Haruka's. I just wish they could've found a voice for Yukito that was similar to his original one in the Japanese version.
Kantarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 15:46   Link #43
Keruri
Like a falling star

I have to say, I'm both impressed and disappointed by this release.

The box art is beautiful (despite the cover being a familiar piece of art to AIR fans, it looks great; the screenshots on the back are also very fitting), and the disc itself looks especially nice (compared to the grainy disc art of shows "back in the day" like Super Gals! or even DNAngel). Also, the menu screens of the DVD are very nice. I love the little feather logo.

However, the dubbing itself.... I'm actually going to come back and edit this post for each of the characters after watching for a second time, and give them each a detailed critique. I'm quite a dub fan (especially of ADV), but honestly, this one made me afraid of the fate of Kanon.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 03:34   Link #44
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Like many other things, the DVD was not for sale anywhere in my town, but with a bit of travelling, I now own it. Glee.

I was horrified at the news of it being licensed because of the quality of some of the dubs I've seen lately, so I'm quite relieved that Air is listenable. The pronounciation of names is one of the nitpicks I have, but it's a part of most dubs that I've just come to accept and don't let it bother me too much.

I was expecting Yukito's voice to be a little deeper, but I think Vic Mignogna does a pretty good job with Yukito's personality, so the rest kind of falls into place.

Really I didn't have any huge problems with the voice actors, though Haruko and Kano's voices did seem a little off in some places, but they seemed to get better over the next couple of episodes. And I didn't think Potato needed a voice-over, but ah well.

I'll agree with a number of people here - I didn't care much for Michiru's voice; she sounded just a bit too old, and the same goes for the flashback when Kano was a child - Kano's voice didn't change enough to be convincing.

And finally... the Kanon girls. Reeeeally did not care for their dub voices, though Nayuki's bothered me the most - she sounded the most... I dunno, preppy? Ayu and Makoto weren't as bad, but still not what I would like to hear. (...Serena Varghese - Michiru's voice actress - as Makoto if they dub Kanon? Might work...).

So given that my ears have yet to bleed, I think I'll continue to re-watch Air with the dub. I haven't watched the subs on the DVD yet, but I hope they're pretty spot on.

Oh yes - and they kept "gao". Gooood, good. Even if it sounds cuter in Japanese, goooood.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 2007-08-19 at 03:59.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 01:29   Link #45
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Well I finally got around to listening to some of the dub track for episode one. I'm not highly impressed, but then I didn't expect to be. Was most impressed by Misuzu's VA, least by Yukito's actually - I disliked the 'let's have attitude!' style that the dub script seems to have given him. That said, the substream was very good, and was highly enjoyable, and the dub itself wasn't terrible in any aspect. ADV have done a thoroughly decent job for both tracks, as far as I can tell. Well done, evil licensing company.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-08-23, 06:12   Link #46
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I've recently heard from the guy at Madman Entertainment heading up anime acquisitions for Australia, that Air TV is currently not scheduled to be released in Australia. T_T
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 07:42   Link #47
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ boggart

That's why we love cheap online retailers and region free DVD players

-Andiyar
Old 2007-08-23, 08:04   Link #48
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... I'm lazy... but if it means Air goodness, I'm willing to become unlazy... =]

I guess it'd be too early and presumptuous to ask for a hi-def BD version anytime soon...
Old 2007-08-23, 20:02   Link #49
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
I guess it'd be too early and presumptuous to ask for a hi-def BD version anytime soon...
Not necessarily, as there are certain "libraries" in "Tokyo" that have this available.
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 20:21   Link #50
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Actually, you'll probably get better results from the DVD version and any decent upsampling player. AIR was not created in HD to begin with, so the Blu-ray version is just an upsampled version of the SD video, and it turned out rather blocky and jagged looking. They mentioned using a special line-enhancing algorithm in the processing, but I think the results would have been better without it.

The true-HD extended opening, though, is jaw-droppingly gorgeous -- now if only they'd do an expanded 26-episode version of the series at that level of quality...
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 04:27   Link #51
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
Actually, you'll probably get better results from the DVD version and any decent upsampling player. AIR was not created in HD to begin with, so the Blu-ray version is just an upsampled version of the SD video, and it turned out rather blocky and jagged looking. They mentioned using a special line-enhancing algorithm in the processing, but I think the results would have been better without it.

The true-HD extended opening, though, is jaw-droppingly gorgeous -- now if only they'd do an expanded 26-episode version of the series at that level of quality...
Ah... then if that's the case, yeah I'll probably get the DVD version... for now... haha...

I really wanna see KyoAni's signature animation and art in true HD... that would definitely be an experience!
Old 2007-08-25, 00:34   Link #52
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I remember hearing tell that only the extra material is in HD... not the show itself.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 17:32   Link #53
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

First episode available via stream
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 19:24   Link #54
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Woo! It's not available in Australia...
Old 2007-08-31, 21:45   Link #55
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Well let's see from viewing episode one...

Putting minor script changes aside (which were not too bad)

Yukito- Now I am not a fan of Vic, ever since FMA was destroyed here in North America. Then hearing the worst match up for Ed ever (cereal box mascot voice for Kellogs) as the voice was wasn't enough. He had to come and do Yukito's voice (not to mention come to my city's anime convention). Now first he wasn't horrible and he isn't amazing not terrible and not great. It is some weird grade of voice. It sort of works and then it doesn't. It sounds stuffy a bit at times and then his pronunciation just gets to me...like he says like every name wrong what the hell man!?

Misuzu- Is she supposed to sound cute 0_o I'm sorry she sounds like a complete moron blond ditz. Her voice is not appealing to hear at all it is nor cute or innocent. It seems off....her "gao" is forced and not delivered properly... I think she needs a bit of pronunciation lessons too >.> Hell i bet everyone does. But a certain tone in her voice that could work but she doesn't seem to use it. She may improve as she goes but i dunno.

Haruko- Can anyone notice her accent? Anyway she was alright a decent match I found. She needs to be a bit deeper at times. Not sure how her pronunciation is, but she can use a good range of vocals from serious to drunken Haruko

Kano- Umm this just sounds weird. I can't describe it. It sounds odd....

Potato- A first he sounds bad like some sort of...first thing that came to mind was some flintstones dinosaur 0-O It was completely unnesessary to even replace the voice. But as they go along with saying piko I realize I can do a better job but they improve as well.

Minagi- Her voice is alright actually I don't see much wrong other than she could learn to pronounce her own name >.> But asides from that, she seems alright.

Michiru- Is alright as well. Of course no one can be as good as her Yukari, but pretty good. Can't pronounce either >.>

Bad
Most of the voice match ups
Need to learn to pronounce their words.
Potato replaced, not needed

Good
Cheaper than Japanese release
Some voices are alright
orginal music and minor script changes
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 10:14   Link #56
FireChick

I wanna see episode 4 that's on demand now but I can't cuz I need to see episode 3 dubbed! Man! I wish I had the DVD!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 13:02   Link #57
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I finally got the 2nd vol. together with the box. Hm, why oh why did Cynthia Martinez voiced Kanna? I was hoping it would be someone else like Brittney Karbowski or Jessica Boone. Aaanyway, Ryuya and Uraha's dub voices are O.K for me.

--> Btw I was just wondering, 1st vol. has 4 episodes and the same as the 2nd volume. AIR TV only has 13 eps. right? And if I recall the box set can fit 4 DVDs in it. So that means there were 2 more vols. were not out yet. I wonder if the 3rd one will only have 3 eps. and the last one only 2. Or are they going to put the Summer OVA at the 4th vol? But seeing as what ADV did to UFO Ultramaiden Vakyrie, I doubt that. They're probably gonna separate the OVA to another DVD.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 20:23   Link #58
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
--> Btw I was just wondering, 1st vol. has 4 episodes and the same as the 2nd volume. AIR TV only has 13 eps. right? And if I recall the box set can fit 4 DVDs in it. So that means there were 2 more vols. were not out yet. I wonder if the 3rd one will only have 3 eps. and the last one only 2. Or are they going to put the Summer OVA at the 4th vol? But seeing as what ADV did to UFO Ultramaiden Vakyrie, I doubt that. They're probably gonna separate the OVA to another DVD.
This is just speculation, but the runtime of Vol. 3 is listed as 100 minutes, while Vol. 4 is listed as 75 minutes, and it has a Summer cover image -- so I'm expecting Vol. 3 to be episodes 9-12, with Vol. 4 holding the recap episode and the Summer specials.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 23:15   Link #59
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
This is just speculation, but the runtime of Vol. 3 is listed as 100 minutes, while Vol. 4 is listed as 75 minutes, and it has a Summer cover image -- so I'm expecting Vol. 3 to be episodes 9-12, with Vol. 4 holding the recap episode and the Summer specials.
If that would be true then that would be really great. Having the series completed all in one box at 4 DVDs

Edit: I just checked it out @ Rightstuf. Apparently, vol. 3 will have 9-12 as you said. So that means, vol. 4 might really have the 2 OVAs in it. If it would be just only 1 then that's a rip off
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 17:24   Link #60
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
are they going to put the Summer OVA at the 4th vol? But seeing as what ADV did to UFO Ultramaiden Vakyrie, I doubt that. They're probably gonna separate the OVA to another DVD.
The Summer Specials weren't done as an OVA, they were tv broadcasts. It's just that they came out a few months after the main series.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote