Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-01-30, 17:52   Link #1
Ilpalazzo-sama

Pale Cocoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniDB
In the far future when the continuity of the history has been lost, it is the world where ruins spread to far away. The sea and the sky have disappeared, and the past scenery exists only in the records excavated in the relic.

The Bureau of Record Excavation is an organization responsible for this task. Ura works for the 92nd office of the bureau. He is absorbed in various records and the world in the past. Riko keeps a little distance to watch him, and she averts her eyes from the records.

Everyone in this world knows that to know the past means to know the misery of this world.

One day, Ura restores a strange video.
I did a search and I found nothing about this... oh well. So, this is an independent, CG anime, only 22 mins or so long, pretty dark, utopistic and such -- and surprisingly good. It is out on DVD and HF is actually subbed it (or, more like ripped, edited and released it, that's why i though i should post this here instead of the fansub section). Have you seen it? What do you think?
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 18:45   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Indeed I saw this. I liked it a great deal. It was a slow gentle and slightly moody piece about the importance of history. I don't really want to give away anything, even minor spoilers to people who haven't seen the show, so I'll make my comments in spoiler tags.

Spoiler for theme:

This show can be completely ruined for the viewer if he's seen even the slightest spoilers, so I'll ask that everyone be careful t use spoiler tags until this thread is on page 2. People read the first few posts of a thread to decide if they want to purchase a DVD or watch a fansub, so keep all spoilers off of page 1. Please! Here's how to create a spoiler tag:

[spoiler=Pale Cocoon] I kept expecting a giant cicada to come out of the pale cocoon. [/spoiler]

Will create this:
Spoiler for Pale Coocoon:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 02:10   Link #3
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I saw it. It was a beautifully done little piece. The insert song was amazing. Just the right atmosphere for it. Gave me a nice Planetarian ~Reverie of the Little Planet~ feel.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 21:51   Link #4
clem-kun
Shi-Fa Staff

Send a message via AIM to clem-kun
I loved it. Best OVA I've ever seen, to tell you the truth. The theme, art, and music are all spectacular - high-quality for an independent OVA. And I love how the ending is open for interpretation.

The insert song receives much love from me. In reality, I think "Little Moa" sings it.
clem-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 02:58   Link #5
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Subbing this tends to be on the tedious side... look at the scrolling text!
Old 2006-02-13, 00:32   Link #6
Calca
Expressionless

Shouldn't this be moved to the sub section?
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 01:20   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor
Shouldn't this be moved to the sub section?
No. We don't have a DVD-rip section. Fansubs require fan translation. Big hint: It is NOT listed on AnimeSuki.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 16:45   Link #8
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Spoiler for Pale Cocoon subtitles:
Old 2006-07-20, 10:10   Link #9
Lost

Honestly, the animation/CGI/graphics level here was the Anime equivalent of DOOM 3.

Spoiler for NSW says pressing this if you haven watched the episode will spoil you bad:

Last edited by Lost; 2006-07-20 at 10:39.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 20:03   Link #10
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

If you liked "Pale Cocoon," I also suggest "Mizu no Kotoba" ("Aquatic Language"). It's done by the same person, Yoshiura Yasuhiro. He's one of the most highly watched amateur CG animators since Shinkai Makoto.

You can go visit Studio Rikka's HP here: http://www.studio-rikka.com/
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 11:19   Link #11
Lost

Thank you, cant try it at the moment tho. Just want to ask, is it his (Yoshiura Yasuhiro's) fashion to do one episode OAVs like that? Are there any others in a similiar vein?
Old 2006-07-25, 11:35   Link #12
DaFool
Resident devil

Besides Shinkai Makoto and Yoshiura Yasuhiro:

There's also Romanov Higa (URDA, Tank SWAT OVA), and the guy who did
Rain, the Little Girl, and My Letter as well as art for Kiba.

You are looking for what are essentially one-man animation studios, though the term 'amateur' doesn't describe them since they do commercial commissions as well as employ the rest of the industry depending on their projects.

They do OVAs / ONAs / shorts primarily because of budget constraints and so that they can play these at animation festivals all over the world to get more exposure. They can't just up and come with a 1-2 kur anime series without having built a portfolio.

We must pay attention to them since they are essentially the leaders of the next generation amidst all the outsourcing, the attrition at the studios due to poor pay, oversaturation, etc.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-07-25 at 11:48.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 12:24   Link #13
Lost

Cool, ty, will keep their names in mind. One wonders how they release such works commercially.. I mean; a six minute film on DVD?
Old 2006-07-25, 12:30   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Cool, ty, will keep their names in mind. One wonders how they release such works commercially.. I mean; a six minute film on DVD?
These guys are not in it for commercial release, these guys are mainly in it who are against the norm, people who have talent and building their portfolio. It's much like independent films artists of Sundance, except it's CG anime.

If anyone is interested, Nihonbashi in Osaka has a project going called CG Anime Mura in which they are trying adamantly to become the central focal city of all amateur CG animations. Many CG animators across the globe has talent, but they tend to lack a central place where they can exhibit their works to the masses.

They did a special panel at this year's Anime Expo in Anaheim, CA as well at the Japan Expo in Paris, France. If any aspiring amateur CG animators would like to showcase their talent, be sure to check that site out - they'll be taking in submissions for their upcoming Nihonbashi CG Anime Festival from across the globe.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 15:14   Link #15
sexg0d

Send a message via ICQ to sexg0d Send a message via MSN to sexg0d
wow this was rather good! esp the music, btw does anyone know who sang that song?(the song around the 17th minute) and is it out to buy yet by the artist
Old 2007-04-18, 03:01   Link #16
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Just wanted to let people know that one of the AMVs in the finals for AMV.org is based on Pale Cocoon.

Galaxy Bounce

Don't cheat yourself by watching it from YouTube. This AMV is beautiful, and deserves to be seen in its' "full glory".

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-18, 15:53   Link #17
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Just wanted to let people know that one of the AMVs in the finals for AMV.org is based on Pale Cocoon.

Galaxy Bounce

Don't cheat yourself by watching it from YouTube. This AMV is beautiful, and deserves to be seen in its' "full glory".

Cheers.
Cool video... don't really get why they bothered to put a 2 second clip from another anime in it though (Tweeny Witches)
Nice quality stream here. It looks like you have to register to download it on AMV.org
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 16:17   Link #18
guess

Am I missing something here? From what you guys said, pale cocoon would be out on DVD in NA already but I can't find any info about it. Are you sure that it is out in NA?
Old 2007-04-18, 20:39   Link #19
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I don't believe it's licensed, it's just that the Japanese R2 DVD release had english subtitles on it.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 00:05   Link #20
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

rather fantastic. definitely gave me a Makoto Shinkai feel. the story and presentation were on par. plus the insert song is amazing. apparently the OST was released only a few days ago? Aoi Tamago absolutely blew me out of the water. it was so unexpected.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-03-23 at 00:20.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote