AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 9 16.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 11.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-07, 07:43   Link #161
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Welkin a secondary character??? CHEW KIDDING ME MAHN!

Without my boy Welk, the Gallian Military would be toast! How dare ye call him secondary.

Also...can someone who played the game give me a little spoiler about Faldio...I read on wikipedia that he goes...

And does anyone know the numbers involved in this war? It seems to me like the whole Gallian Military was wiped out in that attack back in ep 4.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-05-07 at 08:23. Reason: Removed spoiler.
Old 2009-05-07, 08:00   Link #162
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Also...can someone who played the game give me a little spoiler about Faldio...I read on wikipedia that he goes...
I'll PM you the answer to your question, if you'd like.
Old 2009-05-07, 08:38   Link #163
4Tran

Quote:
Welkin a secondary character??? CHEW KIDDING ME MAHN!

Without my boy Welk, the Gallian Military would be toast! How dare ye call him secondary.
Some viewers think of his character as being secondary because of his lack of interaction with Alicia in this episode. As far as determining the importance of characters, this is a bit of a poor litmus test, so you don't have to get worked up about it.

Quote:
And does anyone know the numbers involved in this war? It seems to me like the whole Gallian Military was wiped out in that attack back in ep 4.
I'm curious as to the numbers and scale of the conflict as well, but it's clear that all that was lost was the company or battalion that Damon sent up against the supply base. The only reason it's confusing is because the show/game decided to make him a general rather than a major or colonel. There's no reason for the losses to be much greater than that, and if they were, we would have seen a very different reaction from the Gallian high command. For one thing, they certainly wouldn't be trying to attack again.

Please note that hints about future events are not welcome in this thread. If you have a question that will lead to a spoiler, do so in the Game thread instead of just putting it in a spoiler tag:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial post
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
Old 2009-05-07, 09:08   Link #164
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Tyrone Biggums, he is plot important character but his limited screen-time so far makes him look like more of a background figure (important figure but not main character-type figure).

So far only Alicia stands out as the main character while Welkin is pushed behind to make an equal love triangle, too bad that they pushed him so far that it is not love triangle at the moment but just a retarded pair of Alicia/Faldio.

Doesn't mean that it won't change but thats the impression after 5 episodes of anime which looks more and more like a shoujo with some battle elements.

If they keep on same shit as throwing nuts behind ones back in the middle of operation just for the sake of flirting then I'd rather there would be no romance at all... Its just too retarded.
Old 2009-05-07, 09:32   Link #165
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Its amazing how 2 simple maneuvers can win the day. Distraction and a pincer are the most basic of military maneuvers and are more often than not very effective when used properly. I find it hard to believe that the enemy who obviously have had this base under their control for a good while did explore the forest on the far side of the base to see if there was anyway for a small infiltration group to approach. They under estimated their enemy and got sloppy hence their defeat. Kudos to Welkin for not overly pursuing the enemy you gotta know when to call it quits and pushing forward would have served to put both squads in more danger.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:22   Link #166
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Why so worked up on the pairing? Many of you accuse Welkin for being secondary ... just because he didn't get it on with Alicia? That appears to me like the only basis in which Welkin's status deteriorated according to some of you.

Really?

So Faldio stole Welkin's thunder at certain points and now he is the main character? Why force the pairing on Welkin when he is at this time just not ready for it? And honestly, do you have to be constantly distributing romantic vibes in order to claim the status that is the protagonist?

May I remind you that Welkin is the individual responsible for Gallian victories from episode 1 ~ 5? He was the one who devised strategies and led the Gallian forces to victory while accomplishing what the Gallian army could not?

It annoys me greatly that just because there is a male... and female cast and thus they must be shipped, as if shipping is the first and only priority of this show. Guys, this is a military drama, no matter how unrealistic it is, but in any case, it is not a friggin romantic comedy. Get a clue.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:26   Link #167
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Tak, I agree with you, but I have to say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
It annoys me greatly that just because there is a male... and female cast and thus they must be shipped, as if shipping is the first and only priority of this show.
Having both genders is not a requirement. Shipping just happens.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:27   Link #168
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Nah, I was looking at the episode listing - where only 13 episodes are listed.

But yeah seems like 26 episodes are scheduled. Which may be a good thing but if there will be more of that Alicia/Faldio relationship then it may be not that good at all.
Have you even bothered to watch the intro video? Have you bothered to play the game? Did you watch the previews for episode 6 at all?

Seriously, if you feel like there is a real Alicia/Faldio relatonship developing, and that it will happen, even with all the clues that show otherwise, you might want to take up common sense 101...
Old 2009-05-07, 10:36   Link #169
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Having both genders is not a requirement. Shipping just happens.
Well, yes, especially if you are this girl, you'd be shipping anything with 2 legs.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-05-07 at 16:53.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:42   Link #170
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
justinstrife, playing the game does very little in terms of knowing the relationship, because they change it to form a non-existing love-triangle. I know who should and will be the main pairing eventaully (as obvious from intro) but the whole attempt of pushing the retarded Faldio/Alicia (technically if there would follow game there would be no such relationship to begin with, but they already changed it and the result is rather frustrating - as in the whole nuts thing during the battle operation) is nothing to be happy about. If it was somewhat normal - maybe, but so far they look like a pair of retards, which makes a potential perspective of seeing more of this crap further on not very encouraging.

For now, commenting only anime and those 5 episodes that were released they are actually trying to push the whole Faldio/Alicia too hard, no mater how idiotic it looks, and forming a pair of retards rather than a love triangle.

Yes I saw preview of ep 6, so? According to you if in episode 6 it is Welkin/Alicia, then no Faldio/Alicia happens after that in the rest episodes? I would really wish so, but I think we will see more of that the dumb pair in the future.
Old 2009-05-07, 14:15   Link #171
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Its amazing how 2 simple maneuvers can win the day. Distraction and a pincer are the most basic of military maneuvers and are more often than not very effective when used properly. I find it hard to believe that the enemy who obviously have had this base under their control for a good while did explore the forest on the far side of the base to see if there was anyway for a small infiltration group to approach. They under estimated their enemy and got sloppy hence their defeat. Kudos to Welkin for not overly pursuing the enemy you gotta know when to call it quits and pushing forward would have served to put both squads in more danger.
Coupled with the fact that they're a militia group up against a regular. How they rolled to a victory is also beyond me. This feels like one of those unbelievable elements in the game that does not translate well into anime. As with all strategy games, taking no casualty is pretty much the standards of each mission. But realistically...
Old 2009-05-07, 14:23   Link #172
kujoe
from head to heel

See, this what I exactly meant by changes from the original being such a risk. Sometimes, such changes are given too much focus that they miss the point of the entire story in the first place. Hopefully, this won't be too much of a recurring thing.

But honestly, I have no problem with Faldio being pushed into the limelight more as he's an interesting character. However, if the anime is just doing this to add something extra to the anime and filling up all those 26 episodes, then they're doing it wrong.

There are a lot of extra characters in Squad 7 for Pete's sake..! Do something with them. Last time I checked, Edy and co. got themselves some DLC not Faldio. I would prefer to see more interaction among the members of Squad 7. They're not grunts. Make me care about these other characters, in other words.
Old 2009-05-07, 15:32   Link #173
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Well, yes, especially if you are this girl, you'd be shipping anything with 2 legs.

- Tak

Well in all fairness the game itself focused a lot on those two becoming a couple even more so then the war itself. lt wasn't in your face all the time but it was there...it was cute...it was enjoyable.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-05-07 at 17:04.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:38   Link #174
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
There are a lot of extra characters in Squad 7 for Pete's sake..! Do something with them. Last time I checked, Edy and co. got themselves some DLC not Faldio. I would prefer to see more interaction among the members of Squad 7. They're not grunts. Make me care about these other characters, in other words.
Like i previously said, i give them until episode 10 to do something with the members of Squad 7. If not, then it'll be obvious to see they won't do anything with them.

It's not even a gamer thing, i mean people who're watching this without any game knowledge should be able to see how they're just basically apart of the background. It's so frustrating.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:56   Link #175
slayer545-sama
Banned

Quote:
That is totally incorrect. Mortars, even artillery appear as support weapons for Gallian forces. However, authorizing their use is another story.

Which military?

- Tak
Canadian armed forces.
Old 2009-05-07, 17:00   Link #176
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Its amazing how 2 simple maneuvers can win the day. Distraction and a pincer are the most basic of military maneuvers and are more often than not very effective when used properly.
No kidding. Simple tactics are generally much more effective than complex ones pretty much because they're tried and true, and because they have relatively few points of failure.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the enemy who obviously have had this base under their control for a good while did explore the forest on the far side of the base to see if there was anyway for a small infiltration group to approach. They under estimated their enemy and got sloppy hence their defeat.
I'm chalking this to poetic license. A properly led force would do 1) proper reconnaisance of it's surrounding terrain, and 2) always maintain an effective reserve in case this exact kind of thing happens. Since the base was deemed important enough to assign a general(!) to oversee, it should have had the proper defenses as well. A single machine gun or mortar emplacement would have put paid to the entire flank attack. But that doesn't make for a very good story, so I'm willing to cut the creators a bit of slack here.

Quote:
Kudos to Welkin for not overly pursuing the enemy you gotta know when to call it quits and pushing forward would have served to put both squads in more danger.
I thought that this was great as well. Not only had Welkin secured his objective, but he would be playing into his enemies' hands by pursuing a numerically superior force thereby squandering all of his advantages for very little gain. I see this kind of withdraw all the time in military-themed anime whereby the attacker decides to not press the advantage, but it's rarely handled so well.

Quote:
Let's not get carried away here. There's no reason whatsoever to bring up posters who aren't participating in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Coupled with the fact that they're a militia group up against a regular. How they rolled to a victory is also beyond me. This feels like one of those unbelievable elements in the game that does not translate well into anime. As with all strategy games, taking no casualty is pretty much the standards of each mission. But realistically...
Taking no casualties is something else that can be put down to poetic license - it's more an artefact of the game to anime translation than any thing else. However, there's nothing at all unusual about regular forces being beaten by a militia. This kind of outcome often comes down to how well led a force is than its opposition than the "status" of the two groups. Moreover, both sides were about equally well-equipped. If you want a real life example, there's one of Tito's partisans kicking the Germans out of Yugoslavia in World War II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Like i previously said, i give them until episode 10 to do something with the members of Squad 7. If not, then it'll be obvious to see they won't do anything with them.

It's not even a gamer thing, i mean people who're watching this without any game knowledge should be able to see how they're just basically apart of the background. It's so frustrating.
To be fair, the anime creators are trying to do something a bit different from the game, so a difference in focus shouldn't be that big a deal. That said, I'd also like to see more from the other characters in Squad 7 - if only to put into context their morale and attitudes towards Welkin, Alicia, Isara, and so forth. We've got the views of Rosie and Largo, but I'd like something a little meatier.
Old 2009-05-07, 17:48   Link #177
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Let's not get carried away here. There's no reason whatsoever to bring up posters who aren't participating in this thread.
Its an inside joke in the Macross forums

And its not a problem since the victim enjoys that status.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-07, 20:22   Link #178
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
Canadian armed forces.
I find that hard to believe to be honest with you.
Old 2009-05-07, 20:37   Link #179
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I find that hard to believe to be honest with you.
Well, I really did not want to burst his bubble, but since you have taken a shot...

- Tak

Old 2009-05-07, 21:32   Link #180
kalbron

To be frank, the anime probably took too many liberties with the story in regards to Kloden Wildwood, which is why it seems silly that there's two Generals and their armies deployed to cover one small woodland base, and being beaten by two platoons.

As this video shows, the Imperials had set up defences to cover the plausible routes of attack against their base, and the animal trail only enabled Squad/Platoon 7 to sneak a number of troops through a lightly guarded "side door".

Not only that, but there weren't any Generals there before the attack, only Jaeger and his Lupus tank showing up later on to organise an orderly withdrawl because they intended to abandon the base in the first place!

So yeah. Game scenario = logical. Anime scenario = wtf?
Closed Thread