AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-01, 22:42   Link #201
npcomplete

This seems like a total poker move. A transfer of assets without the transfer of debt. Of course ADV may officially be dead as the headline suggests.. but not really from the looks of it. It's still there in a variety of names and pieces, and with mostly the same people. it's like bankruptcy without the actual bankruptcy, lol

Quote:
Former ADV Films staffer Chris Oarr has notified ANN that several former staffers have been hired by SXION 23 and the other companies.
All of the new companies are officially based in Houston, the home of A.D. Vision.
SXION 23, Valkyrie Media Partners, and Seraphim Studios share the same address in western Houston, 8 miles (13 kilometers) from A.D. Vision. Sentai Filmworks, another business entity for which A.D. Vision and Amusement Park Media handled distribution and production, is also located in western Houston.

... [they] are filed under Griffin D. Vance IV's name.
I bet they'll continue joined at the hip or merge back together some time in the future.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 23:13   Link #202
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Outside of producing Azumanga Daioh (their flagship), the rest of their boats seemed to set sail already on fire.
Although some would say Evangelion is their flagship.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 23:42   Link #203
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
This seems like a total poker move. A transfer of assets without the transfer of debt. Of course ADV may officially be dead as the headline suggests.. but not really from the looks of it. It's still there in a variety of names and pieces, and with mostly the same people. it's like bankruptcy without the actual bankruptcy, lol

I bet they'll continue joined at the hip or merge back together some time in the future.
ADV's been dead ever since Sojitz broke with them.

Getting Clannad only put them on life support, but even that apparently wasn't enough. And the Clannad release showed that ADV was clearly not the same ADV of old, but instead a hollow shell of its former glory.

ADV and its fragments are the new CPM.
Old 2009-09-01, 23:55   Link #204
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
ADV's downfall is richly deserved.

And whoever said "talented voice actors" and "ADV Films" in the same sentence, I lol in your general direction.
Old 2009-09-02, 00:22   Link #205
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
ADV's downfall is richly deserved.

And whoever said "talented voice actors" and "ADV Films" in the same sentence, I lol in your general direction.
Am I wrong to assume you just hate dubs in general or is this coming from a Dub anime watcher? A response to former or latter can change the appearance of your statement.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 00:46   Link #206
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post

Getting Clannad only put them on life support, but even that apparently wasn't enough. And the Clannad release showed that ADV was clearly not the same ADV of old, but instead a hollow shell of its former glory.

Oh, I'm not denying their downfall. But the difference is that CPM really did die though, and sold all of their assets to non-CPM entities. But this just strikes me as a way for ADV to more or less continue, or even as a way to be in a better financial position.
Old 2009-09-02, 00:53   Link #207
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post

Now Clannad in R1 won't sell like hotcakes. If anything, it's a goodwill miracle that we still got it in R1 and will be getting After Story.

SXION 23, Sentai and Switchblade aren't the new CPM as Sentai is still releasing titles. SXION 23 is still distributing ADV titles without interruption.
Old 2009-09-02, 00:55   Link #208
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Yeah, when it comes to advertisement, ADV seems put a lot of effort in it. I guess that's one reason they wasted a lot of money. I hope Funimation doesn't end like that.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 17:30   Link #209
Da~Mike

Well, I'm glad to hear that all the ADV stuff will still exist, but only under a different label. Even online stores like Rightstuf have changed everything done by ADV to section23 or something like that.
And all this corporate law loopholes and shenanigans really baffles me... No wonder good lawyers are so highly sought after!

And yes, I remember listening to the 3rd ANNcast about some of the disastrous mistakes R1 anime companies have made. ADV made plenty of them unfortunately.
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 17:49   Link #210
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

And as the ORIGINAL Title of this thread (I think) said

Is this the Death knell of ADV.

The bell has swung and ADV is no more.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 17:49   Link #211
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Now Clannad in R1 won't sell like hotcakes. If anything, it's a goodwill miracle that we still got it in R1 and will be getting After Story.

SXION 23, Sentai and Switchblade aren't the new CPM as Sentai is still releasing titles. SXION 23 is still distributing ADV titles without interruption.
Not to mention, for what I know, they never advertised Clannad, so nobody knew about it which is why it didn't sell so well... ADV made a mistake and never marketed it... Don't expect word of mouth to work since only so few know about it.

Although Kannagi was sub-only, it was marketed by Bandai (and it also had a website), so it's another one of ADV's mistakes...
Old 2009-09-02, 17:58   Link #212
solomon

Did bandai make a big effort to push Haruhi?

I ask cause scince ads cost so much money, I assumed that often R1 companies assumed that if something got buzz on the net, then it would sell really well.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 18:09   Link #213
Da~Mike

^ If they did, I never heard of it being advertised in the UK. And that they seem to have sold out on most stores I've checked.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:20   Link #214
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Not to mention, for what I know, they never advertised Clannad, so nobody knew about it which is why it didn't sell so well... ADV made a mistake and never marketed it... Don't expect word of mouth to work since only so few know about it.
Actually, the only information on Clannad's sales seems to be positive. I refer to this AoD thread:

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=91416

When it comes to otaku titles, mainstream advertising really isn't worth it. Appealing to the niche and dedicated fanbase seems to be becoming a viable strategy.

(Not to mention the fact that the bottom is dropping out of the online advertising industry lately, not just because of the financial crisis but also, really, when was the last time you actually *payed attention* to an online ad?)
Old 2009-09-02, 18:32   Link #215
solomon

If that is the case, how do anime companies see return on their products? Is it essentially a huge crapshoot? Cause I know they don't have the fourtunes worth of dough to do market reasearch experiments like major entertainment companies do.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 18:39   Link #216
Da~Mike

^ A large number of anime fans discover anime through the internet and fansubs. As a result, most of us are familiar with traversing the web for all kinds of details regarding dvd releases and so on, not to mention dedicated sites that exist to actively promote this niche media to begin with, such as Anime News Network.

It seems that popularity is gauged in a number of ways but usually one of the easiest ways to detect the viability of licensing a series is to follow the internet memetic storms that follow it (if any). Licensing the Haruhi series for example, seemed to be a rather obvious and fairly fortuitous choice. And probably the worst form of deciding whether something will sell is by listening to users of the Anime on Dvd forums (according to Zac Bertchsy at least). ADV also made that mistake.
Old 2009-09-02, 19:21   Link #217
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
If that is the case, how do anime companies see return on their products? Is it essentially a huge crapshoot?
See: Geneon failure, ADV debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da~Mike View Post
^ A large number of anime fans discover anime through the internet and fansubs. As a result, most of us are familiar with traversing the web for all kinds of details regarding dvd releases and so on, not to mention dedicated sites that exist to actively promote this niche media to begin with, such as Anime News Network.
Yes. I mean, especially since I don't watch fansubs, I know basically every single license announcement within an hour of it's declaration, because of how intently I follow AoD and other news sources.

Though sometimes there are people who just aren't informed, but they're basically those who watch anime 100% through illegal means. The sort to whome buying a DVD is a totally foreign and alien concept. The sort of person who'd say, "lol, clannad is licensed? Sicne when?"
Old 2009-09-02, 21:31   Link #218
npcomplete

I guess they aren't so dead after all
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nica-special-a
new licenses: Blue Drop, Polyphonica, Special A, Tears to Tiara, and the second season of You're Under Arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Though sometimes there are people who just aren't informed, but they're basically those who watch anime 100% through illegal means. The sort to whome buying a DVD is a totally foreign and alien concept. The sort of person who'd say, "lol, clannad is licensed? Sicne when?"
Well I don't know about the number of such people, but I don't blame them for being uninformed about licensing. I used to be completely uninformed too. And I still am with other media like a music and movies as well.

The thing about getting people to buy DVDs is not "kill off illegal downloads". Heck, I watch almost all of my anime illegally. But I'm also one of the industry's best customers, lol. Because you still have the scenario of people not buying regardless if there's a fansub or not. If anything I think pricing becomes a major factor in this decision, followed by speed. I've read postings from adamant dub fans on rightstuff's forum who swore not to buy the sub-only releases, finally caved in and bought Clannad for $20 when rightstuff had their large ADV sale a while back. I also notice that old stock of many fairly well known shows when put on clearance sale at rightstuff disappears fast as indicated by the "items in stock" indicator.

To put it another way, imagine if all the popular TV shows, Heroes, Smallville, Lost, etc. were only available on DVD and there were no illegal downloads available for them whatsoever. Do you think people who would've watched them for free on TV, or downloaded them illegally, would in turn go out and buy them?

edit: while it doesn't help the R1 licensee, the much larger figures and goods market also helps out part of the industry, especially if rights are shared between anime producer and original character publisher, like Kadokawa I presume, who owns the both the source manga/book material and the anime rights

Last edited by npcomplete; 2009-09-03 at 07:35.
Old 2009-09-03, 08:49   Link #219
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Actually, the only information on Clannad's sales seems to be positive. I refer to this AoD thread:

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=91416

When it comes to otaku titles, mainstream advertising really isn't worth it. Appealing to the niche and dedicated fanbase seems to be becoming a viable strategy.

(Not to mention the fact that the bottom is dropping out of the online advertising industry lately, not just because of the financial crisis but also, really, when was the last time you actually *payed attention* to an online ad?)
Well the ranking data would prove otherwise imo. While only Clannad vol. 1 has made the top 10 in ADV titles by studio.(It's currently ranked at #3.) It's the only rank category that it made it into. Other titles like Robotech (#2), EVA, Elfen Lied (#7) and Grave of the Fireflies (#1) made it in more than one rank category which is a better look at how things really stand imo.

"Better than expected" is just another euphemism for "Wow, it didn't tank on us. Who'd have thought?!" imo.
Old 2009-09-03, 09:11   Link #220
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well the ranking data would prove otherwise imo. While only Clannad vol. 1 has made the top 10 in ADV titles by studio.(It's currently ranked at #3.) It's the only rank category that it made it into. Other titles like Robotech (#2), EVA, Elfen Lied (#7) and Grave of the Fireflies (#1) made it in more than one rank category which is a better look at how things really stand imo.

"Better than expected" is just another euphemism for "Wow, it didn't tank on us. Who'd have thought?!" imo.

Isn't "#3 for the studio" actually...really good? I mean, it's outselling Evangelion DVD's and lots of other stuff with big mainstream appeal.

Also, mayhaps the thread title should be changed to "Sentai Filmworks?" (Clannad was even after the cut-off point, and was officially licensed/produced by "Sentai" and not "ADV.")