Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-23, 12:07   Link #41
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
What CAD version do you use? Although I've messed around with much later stuff, my office uses the old dinosaur, AutoCAD 2006.

Endless "Playing with dinosaurs" Soul
We have 2007 arch at work and I have 2010 arch on my Laptop. I get mine free because it's part of my university tuition. That explains why my engineering program costs $11000 and my friend's double major in pharmacy and biological engineering is $6000.

If it wasn't mandatory, I probably could cut back a few thousand. AutoCAD is like $4000 or something?
Spoiler for ARRRG:

Btw, do you know what the difference is for AutoCAD versions (not by year)? Like On my school library computer, there's AutoCAD Lite, Architecture and Engineering. I can't tell the difference x/ I just know Lite doesn't support 3D.

My classmate's workplace uses 2005, so you aren't a dinosaur yet . (there's no point in having new versions, they're all the same)
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 12:53   Link #42
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Btw, do you know what the difference is for AutoCAD versions (not by year)? Like On my school library computer, there's AutoCAD Lite, Architecture and Engineering. I can't tell the difference x/ I just know Lite doesn't support 3D.

My classmate's workplace uses 2005, so you aren't a dinosaur yet . (there's no point in having new versions, they're all the same)
I have a copy of 2008 at home.

As far as I can tell there really is no major difference between the releases. The older versions just don't have some of the interesting features the newer versions have. Like 2008 has annotative text whereas 2006 doesn't. 2008 doesn't have the ribbon that 2010 does, etc. The core program hasn't changed much. In fact, 2006 is really a bit of overkill for what my company does. We don't use 3D at all.

As for the difference between Architecture, Electrical, Structural and MEP versions, as far as I can tell, the only real differences are the trade specific blocks and tools that come with each version.

Endless "Overkill" Soul
Old 2012-04-23, 13:25   Link #43
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Ah, I do everything my custom way so I don't use any of their provided what-not. I made all my templates and blocks. I don't use ribbon, I don't use tool bars (command line). Annotative text annoys me. XD

When I first started working here, I spent about an entire week doing nothing except setting up my computer to fit my needs.
Spoiler for Like making a file like this:

Because flipping through a book looking for standard steel is a pain in the ass.

And to show why I love my job
Spoiler for HERP:

^ In my free time at work, I do random shit like designing an entire virtual city. This is a highway interchange showing only the transition ramps.

My ideal job is: high pay + at a table with computer + a lotta free time to do my nerdy things. Which happens to be anything architectural, mechanical and environmental.

I'll be done with my virtual city when I'm Endless Soul's age probably :P
Old 2012-04-23, 13:48   Link #44
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... well, I guess you could call my job a sys admin, but really it just means that I am the one in the small office here who knows the most about computers, networking, a little bit of coding, backups, etc., etc.

And yes - I really do love my job (although I worked for quite some time in the shipping department and still am called in to help when we have a large number of orders), and have for 24 odd years now.
Old 2012-04-23, 13:48   Link #45
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Yep, I built a complete library of my own drawings as well, such as this controller panel. All I need to do is grab the correct size panel, add terminal blocks, a transformer and a controller (this particular controller can be used in a wide variety of HVAC applications) and voila:

Spoiler for controller panel:

Everything I drew myself to the correct size. I just keep them all where I can easily find them. I suppose that's the case for anyone who uses CAD on a regular basis.

Quote:
My ideal job is: high pay + at a table with computer + a lotta free time to do my nerdy things. Which happens to be anything architectural, mechanical and environmental.

I'll be done with my virtual city when I'm Endless Soul's age probably :P
I think you're on the right path to success.

Endless " Keep going" Soul
Old 2012-04-23, 13:48   Link #46
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I have an un-impressive job as a courtesy clerk in one of my local Safeway grocery stores.

I don't like it because I get fuck-all hours practically every week. Only about 10 to 15. Sometimes that may jump up to 20 or 30 during busy times of the year but I'm still not making enough to live the way I am for much longer.

I did get degrees in magnaflux particle testing and liquid penetration testing back in January, and I'm currently on the waiting list for a Non-Destructive Testing job at the engine servicing company my stepdad works at. I'm really hoping it goes through because if it doesn't I'm gonna be out of options and thus completely screwed.

I did have dream jobs to be a game designer or animator when I was in school, but my lack of motivation did me in and they're pretty much just pipe dreams now.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-04-23 at 14:03.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 13:53   Link #47
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I did have dream jobs to be a game designer or animator when I was in school, but my lack of motivation did me in and they're pretty much just pipe dreams now.
I personally found those jobs as dream killers I can't imagine being pushed by corporate needs to produce art/design. It kills the fun of brainstorming and screwing around.

I made a Touhou game back in my final year in highschool with a friend who's a manga art hobbyist and I replaced his favorite character design with a toilet that shoots flowers of projectile poo.

You can't do that in a gaming company Unfortunately, neither of us have any back up copies of the game. I had some really awesome bullet patterns in that game.
--------------
Anyone here ever want to work as a public transit bus driver? I REALLY want to be a bus driver when I'm past my 50's LOL. It seems so lax and have such nice municipal gov't benefits. I like crowds You set your own hours, you don't have to put up with customer shit (transit police takes care of that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Yep, I built a complete library of my own drawings as well, such as this controller panel. All I need to do is grab the correct size panel, add terminal blocks, a transformer and a controller (this particular controller can be used in a wide variety of HVAC applications) and voila:

Spoiler for controller panel:

Everything I drew myself to the correct size. I just keep them all where I can easily find them. I suppose that's the case for anyone who uses CAD on a regular basis.
Ah black background. I changed to white cause my employer says it hurts his eyes when he looks at my screen and the background is black and lines are yellow and white. Now HE is a dinosaur. He draws little structural sketches on 8.5"x11" with pencil and straight edge =.=". In construction, our drawings are typically drawn on 36"x48" paper.

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-04-23 at 14:19.
Old 2012-04-23, 16:15   Link #48
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
Currently a senior in high school.

I've probably sent in about thirty different applications to retail/minimum wage job openings, both online and in person, and not a single business returned a call for an interview. I'm assuming it's in consequence of my age and lack of work experience, but how is one exposed to get a job if one has no experience to begin with?! I mean most of my friends are already employed or had a job last summer at some theme park, yet none of them really work at a location where they could get their friends in. Oh well, hopefully being an eighteen-year-old will increase my chances for next year... or will it?

For career aspirations, I'm going to major in political science and hopefully make my way into law. It's been my dream to become an attorney for some time now, though I certainly have my competitive work cut out for me...
Yeah, even as a student I only got my jobs because of hook ups. Sad how you need one even to be a cashier these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Head of sales and a director on the board at a small company.

Do I like it? It pays well. That's all I will say.
Oh god. Yeah, at least you get paid
Old 2012-04-23, 16:26   Link #49
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

If you will excuse me, I'll just go to the corner and.......cry.
*Pats SaintessHeart's head*

Don't worry, onee-chan believes in you~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Oh god. Yeah, at least you get paid
C$2,500 per month (calculated after taxes), incentives every quarter, and a $10,000 per month company card for stuff in the office and meals, and other small perks. It's not bad pay, but then I work something like 14~16 hours a day.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 16:47   Link #50
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I have an un-impressive job as a courtesy clerk in one of my local Safeway grocery stores.

I don't like it because I get fuck-all hours practically every week. Only about 10 to 15. Sometimes that may jump up to 20 or 30 during busy times of the year but I'm still not making enough to live the way I am for much longer.
I work for Safeway to well kinda, I work at RMSI we are a reset crew for the merchandise I believe its a easy job get paid quiet handsomely
Old 2012-04-23, 21:19   Link #51
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
C$2,500 per month (calculated after taxes), incentives every quarter, and a $10,000 per month company card for stuff in the office and meals, and other small perks. It's not bad pay, but then I work something like 14~16 hours a day.
At first i was gonna rip my hair out cause I thought you said you work 14~16 hours a WEEK and get $2500 a month after tax.

But ouch that's some really really long hours. That's like being an employer for an engineering firm or lead engineer here. My boss comes to work at 4:30 am and goes home at 5:00pm. Monday to Saturday.

@Alchemist007 & Golden Dream

Yeah I remember when I was surfing a second job on the weekends. And I was randomly looking at classifieds when I saw a DISHWASHING job at East Side Marios (Buffet) requires 2 years of professional work experience + reference of previous employer.

Can't even become a dishwasher with an B.A.Eng according to that. It might be a different story if I actually applied but dish washing wasn't exactly my idea for a second job. (It was actually at the Subway outside my house with a hooooooot manager 8D. She actually called me for an interview but I totally brain farted that and didn't even bother following up.)
Old 2012-04-23, 22:14   Link #52
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Actually it is that most of my friends at our age are pretty much top of their lines. I have friends who are :

1. Financially free at 22 (and now an angel investor)
2. Institutional trader in Wall St
3. MDRT
4. A tech section manager at Thales
5. An ex-RM (left his job because of insomnia)

and the list just goes on. Meanwhile I am just a crummy insurance agent TRAINEE waiting for the government to approve my license.

Makes me feel that I am too old for this shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I start my not-yet-licensed post graduate medical internship next week, after graduating and getting my official title as Doctor of Medicine yesterday.

And I still don't get fucking paid to do 36 hours shifts. Blargh.
Think about it. You are saving lives every moment in your life. Meanwhile I am getting people to avoid living in agony - having to pay humungous medical bills through the skin of their teeth.

Sometimes I really want to punch people who say that doctors are cheats for setting their treatment costs so high. 5 years in hell stuffing their brains full of science, and they don't deserve to be treated like this. The blame should fall on Big Pharm and the government with regards to euthanasia and patent rights abuse. People should just transfer their risk (unless they are from low-income families) instead of burying their heads in the sand and assuming that they are able to self-insure.

What irritates me is that not many people, even insurance agents themselves, bothered to think or plan for the future expenses. When I was still hunting for a company, I was often asked "What is your plan for the future?", yet the interviewers and the managers themselves couldn't answer that question after my turn. Similarly, the people I talk to locally, most of them have the response of Ohana in Hanasaku Iroha. [/facepalm]

The good side of my line is to talk to people and learn about how everyone thinks differently. As much as it is difficult to help insure old people, sometimes their insight into my current and younger generation, as well as political and social events are extremely interesting; one can learn almost ANYTHING in this line.

Quote:
At first i was gonna rip my hair out cause I thought you said you work 14~16 hours a WEEK and get $2500 a month after tax.

But ouch that's some really really long hours. That's like being an employer for an engineering firm or lead engineer here. My boss comes to work at 4:30 am and goes home at 5:00pm. Monday to Saturday.
It is part and parcel of running a business of your own - you have to suffer now for long hours; just don't die. While I don't get paid until someone buys something from me, at least I still have some income during my ad-hoc jobs on weekends.

And if you have a mobile internet connection with you, travelling around is not an issue. Unlike the goddamn moneycentral, Marketwatch or Reuters, this site doesn't require alot of bandwidth.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 22:26   Link #53
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Actually it is that most of my friends at our age are pretty much top of their lines. I have friends who are :

3. MDRT

and the list just goes on. Meanwhile I am just a crummy insurance agent TRAINEE waiting for the government to approve my license.

It is part and parcel of running a business of your own - you have to suffer now for long hours; just don't die.

And if you have a mobile internet connection with you, travelling around is not an issue.
You're not old for your credentials, stop comparing with your friends. I won't get my license until I'm 26 (I have some delays, university supposed to be 7 years from freshman to post-graduate M.A.Eng, then another year for the licensing). While I accept that I won't have a full fledged engineer's pay, having a job in the exact field even as the 'noob' is enough. ($4800 a month before tax, I'm financially retarded and don't look at much of anything).

I basically sacrificed education for work (very low class family). So I'm kind of a 'back to school' person.

That and you also have too many successful friends. All my friends are graduation with inapplicable degrees like Psychology, Life Science, General Science, Biology, Actuarial Math, Visual Arts. They're in their 20's without even a month of work experience. With a degree from a university ranked in the top 20~30 in the world. You need more clueless friends
Old 2012-04-23, 23:19   Link #54
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:

Well, my other sources of income (bonds, a few trust from my grandfather, monthly rent from apartments in both Japan and Korea, etc) would allow me to be a full-time NEET without worries, but I'm not the type to just play all day. I'm more of the hard-driving workaholic who works hard and plays hard, like the one time I marathoned all of Gosick in a 24 hour period.

I also earn some extra cash by looking over the books with the folks over at the accounting sector

Quote:

3. MDRT

Nah, you're just starting. My feeling is that most of your friends have some real backgrounds which allows them to start that fast.

Quote:
It is part and parcel of running a business of your own - you have to suffer now for long hours; just don't die.
It's not my own business

Quote:
And if you have a mobile internet connection with you, travelling around is not an issue. Unlike the goddamn moneycentral, Marketwatch or Reuters, this site doesn't require alot of bandwidth.
You might say Animesuki is one of my major anchors for sanity within work.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 23:56   Link #55
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I basically sacrificed education for work (very low class family). So I'm kind of a 'back to school' person.
In the past couple of years I just realised that education is a barrier created by the government to filter "indoctrinated" citizens into the hands of undercutting employers to reduce employment costs and increase their corporate tax revenues. It struck me when my economics lecturer was talking about the correalation between savings and investment, then I realised that there is no correalation between them; it is the social outlook on investment risk that determines the level of investment rather than the statistics of savings.

If the basic concepts are so rudimentary and so flawed, what is the point of "education"? For the certification? I have met ComSci graduates who can't even fix server problems and the company had to hire subcontractors who just finished their NS with no certification in the realm of computers.

If taking up this job allows me to skirt the barrier, someday I'll be one of those who started the fire that burns the entire education system to the ground.

Quote:
Nah, you're just starting. My feeling is that most of your friends have some real backgrounds which allows them to start that fast.
That institutional trader guy came from a broken family, and got that job through the angel investor via string pulling. There is only one place and that friend offered it to two of us, so I let the other guy take it because he has nothing left here.

The angel investor's dad is a wheels-on-meals businessman, and he is a troublemaker with a ridiculous allowance each month. Took up investing at 16-18 because he complained that his "allowance wasn't enough", then went to study computer science in Australia. If he is not looking for business to invest in, he is looking for servers to fix.....in some random part of the world.

Should have listened to my mum, get a loan for Lasik, then sign for the Naval Divers. Never had a good PR skill so might as well put my planning/problem-solving skills into good use... for some reason I like the process of wiring a block of "plasticine" while knowing that a single wrong movement could end me.[/sarcasm]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 14:44   Link #56
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I'm a software quality engineer (tester for short). I write automated tests to ensure that our product is bug-free and remains that way as code continues to get added. It's good work and good pay, with just enough analytical thought to keep me interested. I like it.
Old 2012-04-24, 15:00   Link #57
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I'm a software quality engineer (tester for short). I write automated tests to ensure that our product is bug-free and remains that way as code continues to get added. It's good work and good pay, with just enough analytical thought to keep me interested. I like it.
They need more of you in A LOT of software/gaming companies. Curious: What do you do vs Memory Leak? Is it easy to pick up and is it easy to fix?

AutoCAD is a big time leaker. It's so annoying when my entire job is CAD. I didn't study further than grade 12 highschool education in programming so solving something like memory leaks is beyond what I understand.
Old 2012-04-24, 15:41   Link #58
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Well, I wouldn't care if I was cleaning out graves, if it pays the bills and leaves some left to have fun, I'll do it

in the end a job is a job, and last I checked, nobody was irriplacable, nor does anyone want to have in his obituary "died working till the last moment"

If I wanted to do something I'd enjoy, I'd do it for free
Does Valentino Rossi enjoy riding a motorcycle like I do?
Does Steve Vai like playing guitar like I do?
I don't have any pressure, except perhaps the ambition to become 'better', no people demanding, no keeping promises, no nothing

amd last time I checked, nobody got rich from working hard, they all got rich from being lucky
Old 2012-04-24, 16:11   Link #59
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:

And here I am all strung out about not having time with 8 hr days.
Old 2012-04-25, 08:46   Link #60
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Thats... Hard. I work 60 hours + per week. Well, payment is different, though.