AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 08:43   Link #261
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mican View Post
Is fate zero not considered CG? Not only fate, Ive seen a huge amount of CG/3D implemention that has been done well in MANY anime. Examples in HSOFD, KORE WA ZOMBIE DESU KA, GYO OVA, and ect.
CG aside, even more anime that has animation even more fluent that Studio Ghilbi has been made for years all the time. I cant even begin to count how many.
There's a difference between effects and background animation and character animation.

Animating body movements using traditional key frame technique is a laborious and time-consuming task. Whereas CGI allows animators to manipulate more freely based on pre-set templates.

While CG effects (lightning, buildings, mechs etc etc) have been accepted as the norm, they still can't quite get the look and feel of 2D character animation nailed with CGI. It's an ongoing process and they're getting better at it as more projects come along. It is primarily a cost-saving measure, but if done right it can open up lots of possibilities not available or simply too expensive to animate in 2D.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 10:34   Link #262
Vicious108

Quote:
^ The original point was to faithfully adapt the original story in which the anime didnt. That alone defines the purpose.
Then these movies have already failed, since the original anime was much more faithful than they've been. The TV series set out to adapt the Golden Age arc and did just that to near-perfection. Most of the few things it did not include were simply because of censorship issues (usually stuff that involved graphic depictions of rape), whereas this movie series has omitted a lot more things for no reason other than an apparent desire to rush through the goddamn story.

If you ask me, anyone experiencing Berserk for the first time with this movie series is doing the epic story a great disservice.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 13:27   Link #263
mican

Location: Somewhere in a distant patch of green staring into the luminous starry sky.
^ if you think the anime was faithful, id say berserk wasnt much to speak of. Its more than simple adult themes they left out. Anyway I really think the studio was simply incompetant at the task. With or without the 3D, the predecessors of anime have shown alternative ways of eye candy
mican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 13:54   Link #264
ellifeedn
Thinker

Can you really expect three movies to cover everything the TV series did?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 14:22   Link #265
mican

Location: Somewhere in a distant patch of green staring into the luminous starry sky.
^ Do you think I thought so? ofc not. My focus is animation here btw. If faith was truth, faith never existed. a nonsensical paradox.

---------------------
Quote:
There's a difference between effects and background animation and character animation.
I am aware, but can you tell me that in throught the entire anime, it lacked animation in any insufficient way? Take for example the motercycle chase by saber. When she was dodging the debris by rider, CG, 3D, and fluent animation in perfect positive correlation. Beautiful

Last edited by mican; 2012-12-13 at 14:32.
Old 2012-12-13, 15:23   Link #266
solomon

Quote:
^ The original point was to faithfully adapt the original story in which the anime didnt. That alone defines the purpose. Id rather watch better crafted remakes if its better in overall quality. The movies areant meant for content outside the normal story. From rumors Ive heard the rest of the story after the golden age is going to be animated. But perhaps a little early to hope, official or not.
---------------------
Wait the TV series didn't faithfully adapt the Golden Egg arc? That's not how I heard it. Or are you reffering to the Studio 4*C wanting to do a big ass adaption of the entire series?

These movies didn't seem to run in many theatres but had a good box office average from what I've been able to gather. If the third film (Decent) does well, they could concievably carry over anticipation into new material.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 01:47   Link #267
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Can you really expect three movies to cover everything the TV series did?
Well, no. Which is why I am wondering why they are covering material already animated, rather than continuing on where the TV series left off.

Just seems like a very strange business decision by those involved.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 01:54   Link #268
Bafflement

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Wait the TV series didn't faithfully adapt the Golden Egg arc? That's not how I heard it. Or are you reffering to the Studio 4*C wanting to do a big ass adaption of the entire series?
The series was quite faithful in a lot of ways, but it still cut out material, including a couple of characters who are essential to the continuation of the story. That's one of the main reasons they needed to do a movie remake before continuing with the story.
Bafflement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 05:56   Link #269
mican

^ my opinion as well. It would have been stupid to make movies starting afterwards. Especially when the rape and ect are important aspects in helping us remember of Berserks dark theme and not just another shonen.
Old 2012-12-15, 10:55   Link #270
solomon

So what do you think Mican? would you reccomend the films for noobs like me?

I seem to liken it to the LOTR films or better yet, the Watchmen. I'm sure some stuff was excised and switched around, yet they are all around enjoyable films.

I think that the Egg of the King could stand to have been longer though. So you can get a better feel for Guts' gradual growth into the Band of the Hawk.

As it stands the characters are interesting on their own, there is probably a LOT of machinations both external and internal that they left out due to time, but the characters feel real and human all the same to me.

The key thing that they seem to be going for is the scope as far as showing the war between Midland and Tudor and how the characters fit among it (or in Griffiths terms manipulate it). The story boiled down to it's very essence maybe? I took a peek at some parts they covered in the manga and while it seems richer in depth, it doesn't seem like the movies are shallow by any means either.

I greatly look forward to the gang dealing with..............whatever that crazy shit is in "Decent".

Last edited by solomon; 2012-12-15 at 11:08.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 15:14   Link #271
mican

Hm.... Hard to say. Strictly speaking I wouldn't recommend the movies to introduce new viewers because I feel as if they wouldn't get the full experience.

I have to say though, despite the overall compression and quality. The directing was good. For example, in the first movie when they introduced the king of midland. The echo effect as the camera zoomed away from the battlefield and ect were very well implemented. Same goes with Gutts assasination scene. I think if anything, that very well portrayed the first time Gutts stopped to doubt his killing.

As a long term fan of the manga. I would enjoy the movie as more a laid back approach.

Some minor complaints from me is the character development. As you all know, because of the huge skips in minor detail, the characters were never really introduced strongly. Corkus and the rest were certainly much more stronger characters in the manga because of how they grew with the reader throughout the story. Newer viewers would just see them as side characters to support dialogue that carries the story.

Well can all agree Descent has huge hopes from everyone. The trailer looks so bad ass and epic
Old 2013-01-15, 23:25   Link #272
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

i cannot wait at all for Descent to come out...which is when exactly?

btw i like the animation in the first to films, perticularly the second. the look reminds me of dbz budokai games

Last edited by solidguy; 2013-01-15 at 23:58.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 23:31   Link #273
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Could someone explain Griffith's actions at the end of the movie? Even while watching the tv series long ago, I could never quite figure out the motive to more-or-less throw everything he worked for away. After all his talk about his soldiers being mere tools needed to get what he wants, why has Guts leaving affected him so much?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 23:49   Link #274
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
After all his talk about his soldiers being mere tools needed to get what he wants, why has Guts leaving affected him so much?
Because by leaving, Guts made Griffith realize he was more than just a tool.
Old 2013-01-16, 23:54   Link #275
EroKing

Delicious sex scene at the end of movie 2
Old 2013-01-17, 08:42   Link #276
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Could someone explain Griffith's actions at the end of the movie? Even while watching the tv series long ago, I could never quite figure out the motive to more-or-less throw everything he worked for away. After all his talk about his soldiers being mere tools needed to get what he wants, why has Guts leaving affected him so much?
His wife left him so he was kinda angry ;P
Old 2013-01-27, 05:30   Link #277
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watched the 2nd movie.
Spoiler for 2nd Movie:
Old 2013-01-27, 05:46   Link #278
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

The 2nd Movie was better than expected. Some things were missing but I see the movies more as a supplement to the Manga.. showing off some of its scenes animated and voice acted. So I'm not dissapointed.

Ok, I admit, I do miss some of Charlotte's facial expressions.

Nudity warning:
NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-01-27, 19:03   Link #279
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Delicious sex scene at the end of movie 2
A very hot one indeed, especially with Griffith putting his hand... at the right place.

P.S. where does your sig come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
The 2nd Movie was better than expected. Some things were missing but I see the movies more as a supplement to the Manga.. showing off some of its scenes animated and voice acted. So I'm not dissapointed.

Ok, I admit, I do miss some of Charlotte's facial expressions.

Nudity warning:
NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I also like the way the movies allow the viewers to understand where the manga stands essentially. Without them, I think it would have been more difficult for me to spend time on so many volumes/chapters before grasping the entire universe.

If they animated Charlotte's expression in that particular context, I would be laughing hard.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-01-27 at 19:31.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 13:14   Link #280
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
If they animated Charlotte's expression in that particular context, I would be laughing hard.
Thankfully, they didn't as it would lessen the impact that Griffin had committed something he shouldn't have.

Tags
action, berserk, seinen