Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-01-29, 21:32   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They already have one, its called Macross: The Ride. Its a light novel series, but its a prequel to Frontier and predates Build Fighters. They could make a TV series out of that.
- Tak
I only heard about that title. What's it about? Race? Oh, I'd like to see that animated *drool*.

Also, if it's about printed medium that predates GBF, then Plamo-Kyoshiro manga series predates Macross: The Ride about 25+ years .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Oh dear lord no! Anything but that! She already did AKB0048 with Kawamori and it was more than enough
One thing though, Okada delivers with Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (so far). But maybe because she was paired with Tatsuyuki Nagai? Or probably the brutal, pull-no-punches and unforgiving nature of IBO really suits her.

Quote:
They better have a new antagonist, because the Windermere just wouldn't do, not on a remotely realistic level, unless they landed on some wonder-tech out of sheer luck (again).

- Tak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
In my mind, Kawamori is finally realizing how his Macross franchise is one of the only mecha franchises still running and is finally deciding to challenge Gundam.

Of course, I'm talking about releases and not plot-based material here. Each Macross has always had a long... long wait for a new series while Gundam literally punches out a new series within 1-2 years. Not encouraging Macross into this (hell, I'd dread it); however, I believe Kawamori also admitted (inwardly) that because of Logos, Aquarion is a dead horse at this point, and placing all his eggs in one basket with Macross (his oldest franchise) and reshaping it after the falling of Delta (regardless if its ending half is intentional or not) is kind of important. If he could reshape Macross as a franchise, he could reignite the franchise like Frontier did. And because of their close release dates (Delta could have been the 35th anniversary project), it's also solidifying how I believe he's actively challenging Gundam here for a spot in the "mecha franchise" after its 8-year decline from Frontier...
I'll just respond to both points above:

From non-technological POV, I think having Windermere (humanoid with human-like society and morals) as the main villain is pretty telling how the people behind Delta tried to play in the territory of Mobile Suit Gundam & Space Battleship Yamato. It’s like the Zentraedi are no longer a good villain for them and they want their own Zeon or Gamilas. But the problem was, they half-assed it. That, or Windermere was their best effort in writing “practically-human” villains for a Macross TV series (since the human villains in Zero was there for only five episodes, while Grace and her pals are more like insane megalomaniacal Batman villains in Frontier). Maybe they’ve become too complacent in writing misunderstood non-humanoid alien-villains after Zentradi.

And Macross had this tendency to “forgive” their villains without much of a consequences after doing atrocious things to the Macross humanoid communities which is understandable & excusable if it involved misunderstood aliens (eg. Zentraedi & Vajra) or when the alien villain is much too OP that the protags’ only choice is to make them change their mind and not annihilate the Macros fleet and the galaxy with them (eg. Protodeviln). But applying that to villains like Windermere who are so human-like in civilization, culture, personalities & values is just bad writing imo. Even the villains in one of the worst entry of Gundam (aka. Age) are still more developed and explored than Windermere. The Macross creative team really needs to get their acts together for the next Macross animated series. If they still want to use “practically-human” villains, they need to improve their writing, or just stick with the “misunderstood alien” villains.

What they did with Windermere in Delta is simply not good enough for the mecha fans in general, especially after Gundam & Space Battleship Yamato makes successful comebacks with a vengeance. At one point, Sunrise were even working and releasing four different animated Gundam outings at the same span of period (IBO, Origin, Thunderbolt & GBFT OVA) and they all delivers. Meanwhile, Space Battleship Yamato enjoys their recent success with a great reboot and the second series of that reboot is incoming. In fact, I recommend watching the Yamato 2199 reboot to everyone here who loves the space-battle aspect in Macross and the classic story of Yamato that inspired Macross in the first place. It’s like the Batman Begins of Yamato. When it comes to "human" villains, Windermere and their treatment in the overall conflict pales in comparison to the best recent villains the aforementioned two longtime players had to offer. And I'm not even talking about other good-to-great villains in other non-mecha anime that aired in the same year as Delta.
Old 2017-01-29, 21:42   Link #42
D-Joe

Quote:
Kawamori, like Tomino, are subject to excessive creative meddling from their respective corporate masters. Its not always Kawamori's fault.

- Tak
It's not about his fault or not, i just want to see how will it goes without him.
Old 2017-01-29, 21:56   Link #43
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I only heard about that title. What's it about? Race? Oh, I'd like to see that animated *drool*.
Yes, pilots using customized Valkyrie to race around Frontier while (unconsciously) aiding in the development of the VF-25.

Speaking of Windermerians. My problem with them really has to do with the more practical aspect overall. Its really irksome when their lack of material wealth is overly-compensated with their natural abilities and the kind of luck that would render even a lottery winner blush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Joe View Post
It's not about his fault or not, i just want to see how will it goes without him.
You got... Seven...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2017-01-29 at 22:30.
Old 2017-01-29, 22:06   Link #44
HirouKeimou

Quote:
I'll just respond to both points above:

I... was not talking about its relations in plots or materials but more about each franchises' release dates...

Gundam is more known for shoving a series onto TV every 1-2 years while Macross has hiatuses occasionally for years at a time. The close release date for this new series is where I'm speculating it's a challenge to rival Gundam in terms of release dates and trying to gain its popularity as a mecha franchise back.

So again... don't need a ramble about similarities of plot. Focusing solely on release dates and how either might contend on this.
Old 2017-01-29, 22:50   Link #45
D-Joe

Quote:
Yes, pilots using customized Valkyrie to race around Frontier while (unconsciously) aiding in the development of the VF-25.

Speaking of Windermerians. My problem with them really has to do with the more practical aspect overall. Its really irksome when their lack of material wealth is overly-compensated with their natural abilities and the kind of luck that would render even a lottery winner blush.

You got... Seven...

- Tak
Kawamori still involved a little, i'm talking about Macross with 0% Kawamori.
Old 2017-01-29, 22:55   Link #46
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Kawamori still involved a little, i'm talking about Macross with 0% Kawamori.
Last time this happened, the train derailed so bad.

It's called Macross II.

Trust me, it's better with Kawamori than without.
Old 2017-01-29, 22:59   Link #47
D-Joe

Quote:
Last time this happened, the train derailed so bad.

It's called Macross II.

Trust me, it's better with Kawamori than without.
...God damn i already said Macross II in last page, can you people read before reply?
Old 2017-01-29, 23:06   Link #48
HirouKeimou

Quote:
...God damn i already said Macross II in last page, can you people read before reply?
You don't get the point Tak is basically underlining for you:
Macross needs Kawamori to succeed at all; be it he'll do design, story, or characters, he is essential for Macross. Without him, Macross will not succeed. This franchise (regardless if he really recognizes it himself) is his pride and joy. A Macross without Kawamori is not really a Macross.

(PS: Or... if you're really starving for it, there is also Robotech... god did it derail hard itself too.)
Old 2017-01-29, 23:08   Link #49
D-Joe

Quote:
You don't get the point Tak is basically underlining for you:
Macross needs Kawamori to succeed at all; be it he'll do design, story, or characters, he is essential for Macross. Without him, Macross will not succeed. This franchise (regardless if he really recognizes it himself) is his pride and joy. A Macross without Kawamori is not really a Macross.
Tell that to Tomino.
Macross can without Kawamori, they just never try it again.
Old 2017-01-29, 23:18   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
- Tak
Yeah, that too. God, Windermere is a lousily-written villain, aren't they?

Quote:
You got... Seven...

- Tak
But 7 was Kawamori's pride an joy amongst other series .

Quote:

I... was not talking about its relations in plots or materials but more about each franchises' release dates...

Gundam is more known for shoving a series onto TV every 1-2 years while Macross has hiatuses occasionally for years at a time. The close release date for this new series is where I'm speculating it's a challenge to rival Gundam in terms of release dates and trying to gain its popularity as a mecha franchise back.

So again... don't need a ramble about similarities of plot. Focusing solely on release dates and how either might contend on this.
The villain stuff was a response to Tak in particular. But I also want to point out that Delta is also trying to be like Gundam at some level with the villain. But failed the execution

And about animated releases, at this point, it's questionable to expect Macross to challenge Gundam's releases if the M franchise is already struggling with one animated outing (Delta) in the span of years. Meanwhile, Gundam right now is like the Marvel-machine with clear planning and good brains and muscles to make their animated features (4 different good outings in a roughly the same period is no simple task). Rather than rushing things to match Gundam release frequency, I want Kawamori and co to prioritize to think about making the next Macross anime an actually good or even great entry. I mean, Macross can't just rely on the success of the songs, singles and albums. We need more quality, or go make some pure-fun series like GBF or Macross: The Ride.
Old 2017-01-29, 23:24   Link #51
Tak

Quote:
We need more quality, or go make some pure-fun series like GBF or Macross: The Ride.
Personally, I really wished they make another season of Bodacious Space Pirates...

Because that, was fun.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2017-01-29, 23:27   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Personally, I really wished they make another season of Bodacious Space Pirates...

Because that, was fun.

- Tak
And I also wish they make another Patlabor anime set in the millennium era. But that won't help the M franchise, will it?
Old 2017-01-29, 23:28   Link #53
Tak

Quote:
And I also wish they make another Patlabor anime set in the millennium era. But that won't help the M franchise, will it?
I don't know if it needs help, or we are just getting way ahead of ourselves at this time.

- Tak

Old 2017-01-29, 23:32   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I don't know if it needs help, or we are just getting way over ourselves at this time.

- Tak
I guess it depends on how desperately (or not) Kawamori and co need this next Macross to be good and succeed.
Old 2017-01-29, 23:33   Link #55
Tak

Quote:
I guess it depends on how desperately (or not) Kawamori and co need this next Macross to be good and succeed.
You know, I'd settle for a remake of the original SDF, like the way they did with Yamato 2199. I've always wanted one.

Sure, Satelight needs to be creative with alien antagonists, but being overly creative isn't always a good thing.

- Tak

Old 2017-01-29, 23:43   Link #56
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
You know, I'd settle for a remake of the original SDF, like the way they did with Yamato 2199. I've always wanted one.

Sure, Satelight needs to be creative with alien antagonists, but being overly creative isn't always a good thing.

- Tak
I don't know about that. Sounds like something that needs longtime good planning (unless you're Toei). I mean, even Gundam has been playing coy with rebooting the original MSG after four Origin OVAs (fifth incoming). I guess we'll see which franchise reboots their original entry first after Yamato took a (fantastic) dive.
Old 2017-01-29, 23:45   Link #57
YF19EX

Quote:
- Tak
This so much! But with Kawamori at the helm, I am sure he would find a way to Lucas it up. I miss Ishiguro as the director.
Old 2017-01-30, 00:24   Link #58
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Tell that to Tomino.
Macross can without Kawamori, they just never try it again.
Yes, and for good reason.

Quote:
The villain stuff was a response to Tak in particular. But I also want to point out that Delta is also trying to be like Gundam at some level with the villain. But failed the execution.
Fair enough; I only wanted to confirm in case you misunderstood my initial post.

Quote:
And about animated releases, at this point, it's questionable to expect Macross to challenge Gundam's releases if the M franchise is already struggling with one animated outing (Delta) in the span of years. Meanwhile, Gundam right now is like the Marvel-machine with clear planning and good brains and muscles to make their animated features (4 different good outings in a roughly the same period is no simple task). Rather than rushing things to match Gundam release frequency, I want Kawamori and co to prioritize to think about making the next Macross anime an actually good or even great entry. I mean, Macross can't just rely on the success of the songs, singles and albums. We need more quality, or go make some pure-fun series like GBF or Macross: The Ride.
I don't know about challenging it outright via sales in particular; I'm basically concerned if Macross is challenging its releases in general.

In the long run, Macross has run for about as long as Gundam and has only relatively (discounting adaptions) five or six main series on its roster whereas Gundam is closing in on its... maybe 10-20(?)th installment at this point.

And, in light of this, not every Gundam or even half of its franchise has been genuinely good enough for praise while Macross has been high on its quality with only a little blip occasionally (II, Zero, and now Delta). Gundam has larger reputation for pushing out a series which is notably horrible than Macross in general.

So, again, I don't see an issue with challenging Gundam on releases alone because all it could do at this point is add a new mecha series to the schedule every couple of years and help improve the downfall of the genre in general.

People will watch Gundam even if it's horrible if only for the mecha...

Side note for this topic: Again, I really hope it's not the case; I'd love a new Macross but I don't like the idea of a new series every couple of years only for it to be like Logos. I'd really like for a 3-4 year span for releases. Just... no more waiting 8 years for a release and I'll be fine with it.
Old 2017-01-30, 00:31   Link #59
Darthtabby

I'd rather Macross not become too concerned with pumping out new content quickly, but if the ideas are there now, why wait?
Old 2017-01-30, 00:33   Link #60
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:

- Tak
I DISAGREE TAK (rawr rawr!)
There's been far too much Nostalgia wanking the past few years...I'm honestly quite sick of reboots. At this point I'd rather he just go completely ham with it.

I mean who cares if he ends up with another Macross Seven? I'd rather he make something brimming with passion and totally off the wall than crossing things off a checklist of tried and true fan baits >_>
Closed Thread