AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 23:36   Link #901
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Vol 7 just come out this month. On the 8th of April to be exact.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:35   Link #902
Ypocaramel

Spoiler for re: comments:
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 02:15   Link #903
n0m@n
C-Z

Is it me or is this series getting....dull. No offence but the author is stuffing up the story by interfernece. By interference I mean during the battle.
Ichika vs Rin, intefered by a Non-pilot IS
Cecilia&Rin vs Laura, Ichika&Charlotte intergeres
Ichika vs Laura, Laura's IS get bereserk and was not in control
There were intereference in volume 6. And by the looks of it in volume 7 is well.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 02:33   Link #904
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, it's common for an author to follow a certain formula in the early volume of a series. He/she wants to not change what works while trying to find his/her own writing style. To be fair, this series is still young with only 6 main volume(volume 4 was just a side story so that doesn't count) and the author has tried once, in volume 3, to break the formula.

Still, I can't deny that it's getting dull if he keeps repeating the formula. He better move forward the plot soon or he will lose a lot of fans.
Old 2011-04-19, 04:03   Link #905
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Vol 7 just come out this month. On the 8th of April to be exact.
Thanks, then I probably can get my hands on a copy which I can understand by the end of the month if I'm lucky
Quote:
Well, it's common for an author to follow a certain formula in the early volume of a series. He/she wants to not change what works while trying to find his/her own writing style. To be fair, this series is still young with only 6 main volume(volume 4 was just a side story so that doesn't count) and the author has tried once, in volume 3, to break the formula.

Still, I can't deny that it's getting dull if he keeps repeating the formula. He better move forward the plot soon or he will lose a lot of fans.
See spoilers for reply:

Spoiler for plot formula:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 04:27   Link #906
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

The problem is not the harem antic part, it's actually at the serious plot. Frankly, the way the author enter the serious part of the story is the biggest problem IMO. For example

Spoiler for serious part of plot:

Following the story formula is good for several volumes or so, but I'm not sure I want to keep reading the same formula over and over again for, let's say..... 8 or 9 volume of LN. The author really need to change the formula, like.... making a larger scale battle that span for 2-3 volumes, or focusing a whole volume for a buildup just before the big arcs, especially now that after vol 5 we're introduced to the probable-big-bad and the military IS user in vol 6 prologue.

Make our protagonist group cooperate with a nation's IS army to take care of a big problem, or make the whole academy student and the teacher involved in a large battle because of serious threat, or even change the POV from Ichika to one of the heroine for a volume. Anything that make the story engaging and break the formulaic nature so far.

Granted, I know this is still a young series and the series is directed toward younger audience, but if baka to test to shoukanjuu can do a 2 book arc, why can't this series do the same, or even a bigger arc since clearly the theme here is much "heavier" than baka to test, although the mood in storytelling is about the same.

I really hope the author start to build toward a bigger arc, or he might have to make the bigger arc as a final arc instead because of declining interest :P
Old 2011-04-19, 06:48   Link #907
Javiersansano

However, given the introduction of the bad guys, the formula for the "final arc", or for the end of the Phantom Task arc would be:

Spoiler for posibility:

opinions please
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:09   Link #908
gowfan05

Just a quick question... was the ending of the anime the same in the novel??? or was it different up to that point of time???
gowfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:12   Link #909
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, the ending of the anime is novel vol 3, excluding the epilogue, but otherwise yes, it stays true to the novel plot, although they butcher a lot of the plot details in the process.
Old 2011-04-19, 17:35   Link #910
n0m@n
C-Z

True, but with that ending they could still make Season 2 so i actually liked it. It looks like IS still hasnt went past the mid-point yet.
I was actually looking for to volume 7 because of volume 6 ending. But they fixed that problem easily as if nothing happened. I think the novel would have become more exiceting if madoka actually shot Ichika, then kidnapped him. Then Ichika could be held is a hostage for 2 volumes while he actually gets all the information and gets stronger. The others could be motivated into finding Ichika, so they could actually battle squall and co.
Instead its a new year where ichika is a second year student.......
The author recently is focused on harem isnt he...
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 18:56   Link #911
yuiichi9

Is it true that ichika is a second year student on vol 7?
yuiichi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 21:18   Link #912
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
The problem is not the harem antic part, it's actually at the serious plot. Frankly, the way the author enter the serious part of the story is the biggest problem IMO. For example

Spoiler for serious part of plot:

Make our protagonist group cooperate with a nation's IS army to take care of a big problem, or make the whole academy student and the teacher involved in a large battle because of serious threat, or even change the POV from Ichika to one of the heroine for a volume. Anything that make the story engaging and break the formulaic nature so far.
I'd agree with your formula there, but not the point of getting involved with the military. Chifuyu wouldn't agree to something like that, and wasn't there something like IS machines are mainly for sport and banned from military action? (granted, something that powerful probably won't be just taken off the battlefield simply due to agreements)

Changing POV of the person happens as well, and from what I've seen even if it's a switch for a entire volume we'd still only get how hopelessly the girl/s have fallen for Ichika, like in the rest of the bits with the POV switch. Changing the POV probably won't do much to the formula.
Old 2011-04-19, 22:23   Link #913
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiichi9 View Post
Is it true that ichika is a second year student on vol 7?
Probably not. He's still in first year. It's not even new year yet timeline wise since vol 7 happened right after vol 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I'd agree with your formula there, but not the point of getting involved with the military. Chifuyu wouldn't agree to something like that, and wasn't there something like IS machines are mainly for sport and banned from military action? (granted, something that powerful probably won't be just taken off the battlefield simply due to agreements)

Changing POV of the person happens as well, and from what I've seen even if it's a switch for a entire volume we'd still only get how hopelessly the girl/s have fallen for Ichika, like in the rest of the bits with the POV switch. Changing the POV probably won't do much to the formula.
Yet in vol 6, the US army base has IS development project, and the US representative and Natasha clearly worked for the military. Chifuyu might not agree for helping the military for normal circumstances, but if Phantom Task is somehow bigger than expected, and the normal military has their hand full by holding back Phantom Task's attack, wouldn't Chifuyu has to agree to let the students(and maybe even herself joining) to handle some battle against the enemy?

What I meant by changing POV wasn't just looking through the story through someone else eyes, it's to completely change the main character in an arc, maybe even as much as turning Ichika as a complete side character for an arc. It's just like in Index vol 8, we get to see the adventure through Kuroko's eyes, maybe this time we can see the adventure through Chifuyu's eyes, letting us know what the teachers do every day beside teaching. They might be involved with some politics as well to keep the independence of the academy :P
Old 2011-04-20, 03:20   Link #914
Vector

Quote:

maybe this time we can see the adventure through Chifuyu's eyes, letting us know what the teachers do every day beside teaching. They might be involved with some politics as well to keep the independence of the academy :P

That sounds good.... i'm a little bit boring about ichika view (actually i like his perspective but change to another person view like your idea is really interesting)
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 04:25   Link #915
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
I think the novel would have become more exiceting if madoka actually shot Ichika, then kidnapped him. Then Ichika could be held is a hostage for 2 volumes while he actually gets all the information and gets stronger. The others could be motivated into finding Ichika, so they could actually battle squall and co.
true, i'd have liked that better
Old 2011-04-20, 06:30   Link #916
Ypocaramel

Well, the thing is the first years seem to have been trained for competitive sports, not military operations. IS to IS combat, one to two man teams, like Chifuyu said in episode 4 there's a lot more they still have to learn about teamwork. I don't think they've been drilled in military formation, tactics, large groups and combined arms warefare (IS are powerful, but conventional forces are probably still used as decoys, in guarding supply lines, artillery, garrison troops/peacekeepers etc...) yet. And the thing, I don't think they're psycologicially ready to actually kill the person in front of them, enemy or not. Still young.

The girls (and Ichika) did okay agains the Gospel but if Phantom Task is well organized and trained I'd be worried about sending them out in battle.
Old 2011-04-20, 07:06   Link #917
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, what I was thinking was more like they send the students to battle because they have to, not because they choose to. It was more along the line why you sent civilian militia force to battle in war even if you have an army.

My point is, the author really need to break the formulaic nature of his storytelling and try something new to give the reader a fresh feeling when reading it. Of course, he can still leave the harem antic part in since it was apparent that that's where he shines, but just try break the formulaic nature. Heck, he can make a full volume of harem antic if he wants, kinda like the calm before a storm setting.
Old 2011-04-20, 07:58   Link #918
Ypocaramel

I agree with that. I even think the harem status quo can't stay forever either, even the girls need room to grow and all that.

PS, Chinese versions only up to volume 2?
Old 2011-04-20, 20:56   Link #919
Flere821
Lurker

Chinese version has up to Vol6, but I've seen the Vol7 cover at the site.

Come to think of it, it was mentioned in Vol3 fighting against the Gospel the representative candidates were at least marginally trained in warfare, asking questions on the situation. When you have a personal machine the IS might be more than sports.
Old 2011-04-20, 21:39   Link #920
Javiersansano

At least Laura has a extense military background.............the other probably became attached to their respective representative candidacy countrie's military (Tatenashi got attached to Russias military for being Russias offical representative)
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, not dense mc, seinen, shounen