AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-06-19, 06:58   Link #41
ZGoten
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
I think he would have crushed Daflamingo in his first round of Gear 4 if he used G3.
Of course you do.
__________________
Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
ZGoten is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 07:07   Link #42
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
if you think that Luffy was counting on other people saving him, then you do not understand his character in the slightest.
Luffy wasn't counting on WB pirate when he wanted to save Ace? Or Robin in his fight against crocodile? How about Nami's scooter when he fought Eneru? Your argument is that it is out of character for Luffy to rely on others saving him when he has been saved countless times. What is in character for Luffy is saving his final attack for last. I agree that it seems abit suspect that Luffy did not use King Kong gun at the END of his 4th gear usage prior to the 10 minute count down. This could have been done for several reasons

1. He wanted to use 4th gear on its own and see if he could beat Dof with it. This relies on Luffy relying on others to keep Dof occupied during his 10 minute recharge

2. King Kong gun can only be used at the start of using 4th gear. Luffy could run out of Haki if he chooses to fight for a certain amount of time in 4th gear and can no longer use it.

3. (Somewhat of a cop out) Oda chose to write something that is irrational/inconsistent with what a real character would do for the sake of creating the tension in the count down. However, putting it down to lazy writing from Oda relies on the premise that Luffy would not fight Dof knowing he would have to rely on others to save his ass (something I have disagreed with).

4. Feel free to add any alternative I may have missed

It's worth noting that Laws all out attack on Dof may have been more effective if he used it at a more opportune time. Having a great weapon does not automatically mean you win. Knowing when to use your tools is at the right moment is at the foundation of any good battle.
solidguy is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 08:24   Link #43
ZGoten
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
The most obvious and likely answer is that King Kong Gun draws tooo many resources, so betting it all on one move from the start is silly. If Doflamingo where to tank the attack, we'd have the same exact situation, worse yet if he managed to avoid it.
__________________
Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
ZGoten is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 11:12   Link #44
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
3. (Somewhat of a cop out) Oda chose to write something that is irrational/inconsistent with what a real character would do for the sake of creating the tension in the count down. However, putting it down to lazy writing from Oda relies on the premise that Luffy would not fight Dof knowing he would have to rely on others to save his ass (something I have disagreed with).
This is the most likely explanation. Shounen comics are well known for dragging things out to generate a bigger climax.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 12:21   Link #45
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Luffy wasn't counting on WB pirate when he wanted to save Ace? Or Robin in his fight against crocodile? How about Nami's scooter when he fought Eneru? Your argument is that it is out of character for Luffy to rely on others saving him when he has been saved countless times.
you're drawing an illogical conclusion. just because Luffy has been saved by people, doesn't mean that being saved by people was part of his plan or something he counted on. He's constantly wanting to end these types of fights on his own. There are plenty of times where he reasonably should have died like fighting Magellan for instance, but someone just happened to be there to save him. That wasn't all part of his "master plan" or something. And in this fight, he wasn't counting on the island to save him. He was surprised and happy that the announcer was there. He wasn't relieved like "Oh I'm glad you're here like I planned on". He thought that his Kong Gun would finish Mingo and he was wrong. He wasn't thinking what you're implying like"I'll try Kong Gun and if that doesn't work then the islanders will protect me for 10 minutes so I can try King Kong Gun." Luffy doesn't think that way. His plan is usually just to beat the strongest opponent with brute force. Simple as that.
itachi-san314 is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 15:03   Link #46
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
In other news, the cover for volume 78 has finally been revealed:





^The volume's release date is July 3rd BTW, so we should be getting that juicy SBS info in a couple of weeks.
More birthdays for me to research.
Rainbowman is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 18:26   Link #47
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
you're drawing an illogical conclusion. just because Luffy has been saved by people, doesn't mean that being saved by people was part of his plan or something he counted on.
Although it doesn't necessarily mean it is part of his plan I still think Luffy Acknowledges this as a factor. He doesn't need to plan for Sabo to take care of Burgess or for Law to save Rebecca but it is something that makes sense and reasonable to expect. If Luffy was isolated with Dof on an island who's to say he would try the same tactic? The conditions surrounding Luffy's fight, even if not consciously, are bound to affect his strategy. There is Zoro, the Admiral, Gladiators, Kyros, Law all in the immediate area that will no doubt step in. Luffy does not put his pride of defeating an opponent solo over his nakama. He will throw away anything to protect his friends. That and becoming pirate king is at the core of his character, not pride.
solidguy is offline  
Old 2015-06-19, 18:59   Link #48
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Agree to disagree I guess. I agree that he would save a nakama in need, but he also counts on them being strong without him most of the time and handling their own 1 on 1 fights. He treats becoming Pirate King like destiny and often throws caution to the wind with a mentality that if he dies then it wasn't meant to be anyway. Interestingly enough, Blackbeard has a similar disposition like when he also nearly died vs Magellan. There needs to be a good bit of luck and chance involved with becoming Pirate King as well as knowledge, skill, power and crew/friends.

What will be really interesting in the future is if Luffy is forced to choose between saving his nakama and becoming Pirate King. Ideally, he'd want both as he often does, but what if he really does have to choose? Maybe Blackbeard will force it and actually become the Pirate King ahead of him. It would be an interesting twist.
itachi-san314 is offline  
Old 2015-06-20, 01:34   Link #49
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Where am I?
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
WTF!!

did anyone here think Dofla face is similiar to Zoro?
__________________

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
LowCholesterol is offline  
Old 2015-06-23, 09:45   Link #50
AdventSleeper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Yaaaay. Finally.

I almost totally forgot about the other half of the crew, it being so long since we've seen them..
AdventSleeper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.