AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-02-17, 19:16   Link #181
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
She "correctly" guessed he would oppose her plan because he didn't know what her plan in the first place. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. One can argue that Poe was acting childish or rash or whatever for doing what he did, but the fact remained that he was doing it out of the perceived notion that Haldo was going to give up trying. If Haldo knew Poe would act this reckless when put out of the loop then failing to prevent that is a failure on her part. But indeed, she let him be anyway maybe because she saw this as an opportunity for Poe to learn how to be a better leader. I'm guessing this is the part that people see as "scolding parent". If she was the strict military officer, Poe would receive much much heavier penalties and the coup in the bridge would be impossible to happen in the first place.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 19:27   Link #182
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 765° of 346 Otonokizaka
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Old Rebel Alliance worked on a cell structure in an effort to protect both those above and below any individual cell. The Resistance has similar workings by default.

Poe had just caused the unnessicary deaths of his squadron hunting down a Dreadnaught (which didn't need to be killed right then). He was demoted and placed outside the need to know by Leia as an effort to get him to learn how to be a better leader. Haldo recognized Poe's type from experiance and correctly guesed that he would oppose her plan, violently. What she didn't take into account was that Finn might break out, and when she found out she was against the plan because it was even more of a long shot than what she was doing. That the fleet jumped there before the First Order was even actively known to be chasing them must means that out of the way outposts like this are almost standard fleet procedure. A place within a day or so at sublight speeds just in case there is a hyperspace problem or an Imperial fleet in tow.
The issue is that she had to have known that an ostensibly standard retreat was not an option due to the First Order tracking them in the first place. Had DJ not sabotaged Finn and Rose, they would have made a clean escape and wouldn't have to lose one of their high ranking officers committing suicide for a distraction. Back to Poe for a minute, her assumptions on his behavior wouldn't have been falsified if she actually told him directly what her plan was, because it was her insistence on secrecy combined with the danger of the First Order shooting and chasing them all down--kamikaze or not--when he found out what the plan was, that he felt she was actually a traitor. Yes, the tracking jamming gambit was a big risk, but I'd say trying to split up and throwing one person as a rush-in divergence at one marksman means nothing when there's several other gunman ready to go, is much riskier than trying to temporarily blind them before they even knew they left or even what direction they went in

As for the scolding parent part, it's also the way the Laura Dern portrayed Holdo with every inflection and expression coming across as a mother and not a high-ranking military officer that further exacerbates this. Under a more militaristic acting performance her entire plan would've still been untenable but at least come across as misguided or something she's forced into, but due to the disconnect between what she portrays and what she's supposed to be, it stacks with the untenable plan and crosses from tragic to plain incompetent, which just made her character insufferable
__________________
Heil Muse. Bow before the Cinderella GirlsMuses are red
Cinderellas are blue
FAITODAYO
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 19:38   Link #183
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
While the rest of you are discussing whether Poe was right or Holdo was right (and for the record, I didn't like her character myself- I'm on the same page as those who say Admiral Ackbar should've stayed alive, but, y'know, Star Wars is becoming Disney-fied), this was my simple question: how was Poe even in the position to question Holdo to her face anyways? Not only did he get demoted, it was made quite explicit that Holdo had her own circle of higher-ups which Poe was obviously NOT part of, and the fact that he basically kept going straight to the top of command was a little "waitasec... shouldn't there be guards preventing him?"
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 21:06   Link #184
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
She "correctly" guessed he would oppose her plan because he didn't know what her plan in the first place. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. One can argue that Poe was acting childish or rash or whatever for doing what he did, but the fact remained that he was doing it out of the perceived notion that Haldo was going to give up trying. If Haldo knew Poe would act this reckless when put out of the loop then failing to prevent that is a failure on her part. But indeed, she let him be anyway maybe because she saw this as an opportunity for Poe to learn how to be a better leader. I'm guessing this is the part that people see as "scolding parent". If she was the strict military officer, Poe would receive much much heavier penalties and the coup in the bridge would be impossible to happen in the first place.
Should she have arrested Poe for something he hadn’t done then? Honestly I doubt Poe was much on her mind, she was probably more concerned with saving the Resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
The issue is that she had to have known that an ostensibly standard retreat was not an option due to the First Order tracking them in the first place.
IIRC, didn’t she tell Poe she had a plan after they knew they were being tracked?

Quote:
Had DJ not sabotaged Finn and Rose, they would have made a clean escape and wouldn't have to lose one of their high ranking officers committing suicide for a distraction.
You’re continually avoiding the fact that neither Finn nor Rose should have been there in the first place; Poe had no right to send them there.


Quote:
As for the scolding parent part, it's also the way the Laura Dern portrayed Holdo with every inflection and expression coming across as a mother and not a high-ranking military officer that further exacerbates this.
?

How exactly should a military officer act then?

Quote:
Under a more militaristic acting performance her entire plan would've still been untenable but at least come across as misguided or something she's forced into, but due to the disconnect between what she portrays and what she's supposed to be, it stacks with the untenable plan and crosses from tragic to plain incompetent, which just made her character insufferable
The plan was fine, all things considered. Poe was the problem. Which was the whole point of the thing.

Stories usually act like the protagonist has the right to know everything, the handsome rogue you meeet in a sketchy place has a heart of gold, cockamamie plans always work and superior officers are idiots. Well sometimes, the protagonist doesn’t get to know everything, the handsome rogue is an asshole, the cockamamie plan fails and a superior officer isn’t an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
While the rest of you are discussing whether Poe was right or Holdo was right (and for the record, I didn't like her character myself- I'm on the same page as those who say Admiral Ackbar should've stayed alive, but, y'know, Star Wars is becoming Disney-fied), this was my simple question: how was Poe even in the position to question Holdo to her face anyways? Not only did he get demoted, it was made quite explicit that Holdo had her own circle of higher-ups which Poe was obviously NOT part of, and the fact that he basically kept going straight to the top of command was a little "waitasec... shouldn't there be guards preventing him?"
Eh, the guards probably knew the guy and didn’t bother stopping him.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 23:49   Link #185
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 765° of 346 Otonokizaka
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
IIRC, didnÂ’t she tell Poe she had a plan after they knew they were being tracked?

YouÂ’re continually avoiding the fact that neither Finn nor Rose should have been there in the first place; Poe had no right to send them there.

?

How exactly should a military officer act then?

The plan was fine, all things considered. Poe was the problem. Which was the whole point of the thing.

Stories usually act like the protagonist has the right to know everything, the handsome rogue you meeet in a sketchy place has a heart of gold, cockamamie plans always work and superior officers are idiots. Well sometimes, the protagonist doesnÂ’t get to know everything, the handsome rogue is an asshole, the cockamamie plan fails and a superior officer isnÂ’t an idiot.
Assuming you're discussing this in good faith, I would suggest rereading what I've said since you initiated this conversation; comprehension is not above you, due to the exclusions of my words you've made with quoting my posts when responding to them
__________________
Heil Muse. Bow before the Cinderella GirlsMuses are red
Cinderellas are blue
FAITODAYO
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-18, 00:46   Link #186
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Assuming you're discussing this in good faith, I would suggest rereading what I've said since you initiated this conversation; comprehension is not above you, due to the exclusions of my words you've made with quoting my posts when responding to them
I always discuss in good faith, and if exclude any words from your posts, it's because it's the parts that I quoted that I'm responding to.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-18, 09:57   Link #187
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 765° of 346 Otonokizaka
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I always discuss in good faith, and if exclude any words from your posts, it's because it's the parts that I quoted that I'm responding to.
The parts you're responding to are parts that don't answer the questions you ask without the parts you're excluding
__________________
Heil Muse. Bow before the Cinderella GirlsMuses are red
Cinderellas are blue
FAITODAYO
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 07:14   Link #188
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The top of the world.
Age: 29
Major SPOILER! Read at your own peril!

MASSIVE SPOILER FROM STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI NOVEL THAT WILL COME OUT ON TUESDAY MARCH 6th!
Spoilers
Spoiler for SPOILER
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
My Twitter account! Thanks to Godlike1889 for the sig!
milan kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 07:38   Link #189
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Major SPOILER! Read at your own peril!

MASSIVE SPOILER FROM STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI NOVEL THAT WILL COME OUT ON TUESDAY MARCH 6th!
Spoilers
Spoiler for SPOILER
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Welp, there's your thread into episode IX onwards.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 12:52   Link #190
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Major SPOILER! Read at your own peril!

MASSIVE SPOILER FROM STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI NOVEL THAT WILL COME OUT ON TUESDAY MARCH 6th!
Spoilers
Spoiler for SPOILER
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
We all know what that means, don't we?
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 16:55   Link #191
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Major SPOILER! Read at your own peril!

MASSIVE SPOILER FROM STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI NOVEL THAT WILL COME OUT ON TUESDAY MARCH 6th!
Spoilers
Spoiler for SPOILER
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler:
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 19:35   Link #192
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: JEEEESUS CHRIIIISTOOOOO
Age: 28
I finally watched it.
Spoiler for Just in case:
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 20:16   Link #193
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
The deleted scene on starwars.com shows something unusual. Captain Phasma, a stormtrooper, hitting her targets. Four of them in a row. Twilight Zone (or Clone Arc Trooper) levels compared to most Stormtrooper depictions.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 08:55   Link #194
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The top of the world.
Age: 29
It's of topic and maybe some of you have already seen it. But for those who haven't, it's a must watch!
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
My Twitter account! Thanks to Godlike1889 for the sig!
milan kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.