AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-22, 22:55   Link #361
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I don't mind Nemu having an attitude. I'm quite fond of tsunderes actually, Mako's one of my favourite characters after all. I did mind, however, how jealous, hotheaded and how much of a drama queen she was - that's what I dislike about her. I know I'm meant to be drawn to her because of how insecure she is, but needyness, drama and jealously are a turn off for me, I prefer reasonable people who are better at listening, communicating, and solving their problems in a better way. This may sound a bit hypocritical considering I just said Mako's one of my faves but I strongly believe she'd be the type to be reasonable and mature enough when it matters. Moreover, back to Nemu, I didn't really like that she gave me the impression of seeing the others as obstacles either (like when planning the vacation), but that's more a personal view I suppose.

I rate characters based on their personality traits (how interesting they are plays a part too - for example Haruhi from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is nuts, but she's meant to be, so that makes her all the more interesting and lovable ^^). I like them or dislike them based on what they're meant to be - humans. And personally, I find people like Mako, Kotori, and the bunch to be much better people than Nemu, just to give examples, and I don't think Nemu's that good a person - but then again, that's simply my definition of what a "good person" is, so I don't expect people to agree with me or to even understand why I like or dislike X character. I don't dislike her because she "got the guy", that'd be stupid - in any case I should simply think that in my view Jyunichi has bad taste . I dislike her because of who she is.

It's not related to liking Kotori at all though, though I guess I can't prove that to anyone so I'd hope people believe me ^^;, but I guess I can say as an argument that Kotori never had "a shot" in the first season and I still disliked Nemu back then. Well, Kotori never had a shot this season either, but lots of people kept telling themselves that and somehow think she should've won still...

As for the show, ehh...I didn't like DCSS much. I can admit it was a well written story, but of DC's 2nd season, I expected something...different, you could say. I think I'd have liked it better if it'd been 52 episodes in sucession rather than season one and season two, it's one of those weird things.
Old 2006-05-23, 00:53   Link #362
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I caught some fanboy posts in other forums, and from the look of things, I was bound to love Kotori and hate Nemu. I finally sat down and watched the series. I still can't find what Nemu has that is bad. I mean, to me she seemed like a very nice girlfriend with her share of minor flaws, nothing wrong with having a few minor flaws, everyone has some, and the characters that were developed more in DC had some. Sakura in the first season, Nemu, even Junichi sometimes displayed negative traits (no, I don't consider Aisia as having negative traits ). It would have hitted me in the face if someone exhibited treacherous behavior though, I can't stand backstabbing people, but all DC cast were a bunch of nice people. I mean, I was a bit taken back of how nice they can be. I still think Aisia's impression was right ("how can you all say you're happy like that?" argument), but if they are THAT angelic, well, whatever, I won't be the one to spoil the fun

Not having a chance... Well... if Junichi liked Nemu and Nemu liked Junichi, what sort of chance are we taking about. Junichi was dreaming of Nemu from the first episodes. It's not a matter of chance to me. If Junichi was tabula rasa in that aspect like most idiotic harem male leads, it's another matter. But he's not, so, it's just a romantic story. Although Nemu is not that high on my list, she's still a very nice girl to have around. I mean, you have to be a saint to put up with someone like Junichi who doesn't do ANYTHING in the house while you attend to his every need in the most efficient way possible. The one thing that separates Kotori from Nemu though in my mind is Kotori's song in the first season Other than that, Kotori is more or less like Nemu if you ask me. She is BOUND to have some flaws of her own. And I don't think Nemu was particularly jealous, or hotheaded or whatever. I thought her flaws were at a healthy level. Plus, I don't believe Nemu saw others as obstacles. She was pretty kind to everyone. You can't blame her for wanting to spend time alone with Junichi for once. In that sense, well, others were obstacles. I'd imagine your typical real life girlfriend getting pretty upset over that issue, freting how you don't spend time with her, then either making you drop your friends to be with her, getting angry cause they are with you, or dumping you at some point just because you don't spend enough time with her, or worse (don't ask how I know it, my experience with unsuccessful relationships is extensive and bitter). Nemu though was pretty decent about it.

Oh well... I'd run a lottery to pick a DC girl Unlike Shuffle, I liked everyone
Old 2006-05-23, 06:59   Link #363
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
I think I'd have liked it better if it'd been 52 episodes in sucession rather than season one and season two, it's one of those weird things.
If the series really was shown like that, do you think the big space in between the two would still be needed?
Old 2006-05-23, 07:54   Link #364
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
Oh well... I'd run a lottery to pick a DC girl Unlike Shuffle, I liked everyone
Heh. I liked everyone in Shuffle, and in DC, I liked everyone but Nemu. I thought everyone in Shuffle were nice people, and everyone in DC were nice people too, except her. Just one of those things we view differently I guess.

Npal, I know Nemu like Jyunichi from the start and viceversa. What I was trying to say/prove is that my dislike of Nemu isn't related to me liking Kotori.

As for Kotori and Nemu being similar, I really don't think so...they both have selfish feelings, that I can agree, after all, everyone does, they're human. But Nemu does act upon it, while Kotori always does her best to do the "right thing" ...well, I explained what I thought about her in my previous post, so there's not much of a need to elaborate on this. As for Sakura, I know she made her mistakes in the first season too, but she certainly redeemed herself for 'em, something I found very admirable.
Jyunichi? I don't understand how come all the girls are attracted to him . It's very believable in his game incarnation but I believe he's quite dull and boring in the anime, not to mention clueless. I can give him credit for not being undecisive like other harem leads but otherwise, I didn't like the guy.

It's exactly because my experience with previous relationships and other people that I don't like Nemu, you know . I do much better with more reasonable people than people who simply act on their emotions and have mood swings like those...

And of course Kotori has her flaws, she's human. You can see a little in the anime and you see more in her own route in the game.

And yeah Angelsama, I know that, I'm just saying I was expecting to see different things in the 2nd season and maybe I'd have viewed it differently if DCSS 1 had been DC 27.

Overall, despite loving the games, I can't say I liked the anime that much (season 1 was fun though), mainly because I disliked the leads and there was lots of focus on them. Jyunichi's personality got borked; and as for Nemu, I didn't like her in the game to begin with but I believe the anime highlighted her flaws more than her good points.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:06   Link #365
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Junichi was a good man lead imo, he never did anything wrong, & he was a good friend to each character, helping them out when they need it - and of course loved Nemu to pieces. It makes you think that Junichi is the only male around, and they totally forget about Suginami. ;_;

Sakura was also by fav' character from the first series, but like AvatarST said - she redeemed herself & moved on, something Kotori couldn't do.

We all know that Junichi should have just ended up with Utamaru.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:09   Link #366
◕‿‿◕

Mm, I think that Kotori didn't have to redeem herself because she never did anything wrong ^^ Pity she couldn't move on, I wish she could have, but it was implied in the last episode that all the girls went their own way to find happiness.

The two flaws I can find within Jyunichi are being lazy and clueless. And he was a much more smooth talker in the game, something I missed in the anime. Compared to other male leads he was very average if you ask me.

And yeah, I've always loved Sakura. Kotori, Sakura, Mako and Alice are the best characters in the DCverse. And Jyunichi in the game, too.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:10   Link #367
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

When i said about Kotori & Sakura - i only mean't about moving on for Kotori, its pretty easy to understand that she can't do anything wrong.

Junichi was a lazy character, but at the end of the day - so am i, and i'm sure many people are around the world, that shouldn't be a bad thing about a character.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:12   Link #368
◕‿‿◕

Yea, but I do think it was rather bad of him to have both Nemu and Kotori as live-in maids without ever doing anything about it o.O I'm not saying he has to be good at housework, cooking and the such, but he could at least try to help. ^^
Old 2006-05-23, 08:16   Link #369
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Yea, but I do think it was rather bad of him to have both Nemu and Kotori as live-in maids without ever doing anything about it o.O I'm not saying he has to be good at housework, cooking and the such, but he could at least try to help. ^^
Yeah thats true - he did keep hiding behind the fact that what happened in the past, and how it was still affecting him. That i can understand - & you know that both Kotori and Nemu where happy to do what they can.. even though Nemu was the one to try to get him to help out. ^^;
Old 2006-05-23, 08:18   Link #370
◕‿‿◕

Well I dunno, he was still that lazy in the first season IIRC , he just had a better excuse in the 2nd because he was depressed.

PS: Sabers all over are stealing the show in the DCSS topic.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:19   Link #371
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

He's just a lazy guy - he had Nemu for a while to do everything for him, and after she left there's no way he could have looked after himself... now that would have been something to see. =P

Quote:
Sabers all over are stealing the show in the DCSS topic.
Its a way to get people who love DDSS to watch F/SN.. or play it. ^^
Old 2006-05-23, 08:21   Link #372
◕‿‿◕

Yeah. But I guess his friends were always going to help him. If it'd not been Kotori, it'd have been Mako, Miharu or the others...or Aishia when she arrived? I mean...at least she has the will...I guess.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:23   Link #373
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Aisia looking after Junichi - now thats what i call a spin-off show idea. Could easily get rid of the name - and just call it The wacky adventures of Junichi & Aisia.
Old 2006-05-23, 08:48   Link #374
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Heh. I liked everyone in Shuffle, and in DC, I liked everyone but Nemu. I thought everyone in Shuffle were nice people, and everyone in DC were nice people too, except her. Just one of those things we view differently I guess.
I can't comprehend how you view Nemu as a worse person than Asa I mean... I couldn't comprehend how Nemu is bad in the first place, but worse than Asa? I don't remember Nemu being best friends with Kotori. I don't remember Nemu knowing that Kotori or all those girls liked Junichi. Nemu was playing fair and square if you ask me, and while her flaws are there, they are just minor inconveniences, and you only need to look at how well she can get along with Junichi and everyone else and takes care of him to the point of appearing like a slave. Besides the so called "Dark Nemu" mode, Nemu was pretty much herself, you knew what to expect, not like your best friend crossing you for a guy. Bleh, I can't compare the two. And Nemu's mood swings didn't seem strange or frustrating to me, I actually thought they were pretty inevitable, plus their duration was limited, besides the time she had serious fights with Junichi, but those fights were Junichi's fault, from what I recall. Overall, Compared to Asa, Nemu seems like an angel on Earth . Compared to your average woman, Nemu is still much better. But of course, Aisia rules

Although I fail to see why Nemu and everyone else liked Junichi I mean, he's good for nothing, he needs some sort of servants all the time. Hmm... many male leads are useless now that I remember. Rin, Takayuki, Junichi. At least Junichi has the redeeming trait of knowing what he wants from the start. But other than that, they're a bunch of losers
Old 2006-05-23, 08:50   Link #375
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Don't people call harem leads just because they're jealous?

AvatarST: What did you think of the music for DDSS?

For me the music by Nanse Hikaru worked out to be beauitful with the show. Having both OST's for the show, i can safety say DDSS has some of the best music i've heard in an anime.
Old 2006-05-23, 09:09   Link #376
◕‿‿◕

That's simple npal, I didn't view Asa as a backstabbing character but simply I thought that the transition between the arcs was badly written so it made her look like that, and made Kaede look like she was fine with it - on the other hand Nemu annoyed me to no end with her mood swings, jealously fits and all the drama. I don't think it's a matter of "playing fair", people who love each other should be together, and that's that. But well, it's a matter of preference.
As for the fights being Jyunichi's fault, eeer. Would the fight in the 2nd season had happened if Nemu hadn't left Jyunichi alone right after they started their relationship? And look how she was when she came back. Can you really blame Jyunichi for being pissed and jealous for -once- considering how Nemu behaved? I really don't think so.

But I dunno...I think, that, again, it's a matter of personal preference. I guess you and I value different things in people, and you don't mind the traits I'm referring to or you simply don't think that Nemu has them. Selfishness turns me off, I really value it when people do their best to be nice...look at Elis, she's in a few ways similar to Nemu but Elis was doing everything she could to become a better person and keep her conflicts internal, and I found that incredibly admirable. Nemu...meh.

And yes Angelsama, the music was very good, in the games, DC first season and DCSS. I love most of the tunes. And yeah, DCSS was probably the best of the lot.

I just noticed you're from England. Get ready for us to take our revenge in the next world cup.
Old 2006-05-23, 09:13   Link #377
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can see this becoming a flame war between liking Asa & Nemu.. ;_;

Quote:
I just noticed you're from England. Get ready for us to take our revenge in the next world cup.
I'm not a fan of football, but i've always been behind Argentina in the world cup~
Old 2006-05-23, 09:25   Link #378
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
I can see this becoming a flame war between liking Asa & Nemu.. ;_;

I'm not a fan of football, but i've always been behind Argentina in the world cup~
Heh, don't worry, I'm not up for a flame war, and npal is a very reasonable guy too.

And behind us? Wow, really? That's an odd one.

In truth, I'm fond of England because I watch the premiership. I support Argentina for obvious reasons, and Spain because my parents are from there, but England are my 3rd choice to win the World Cup because I like all of their players.
Old 2006-05-23, 09:27   Link #379
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just so i can say something related - Suginami should so play for the world cup~
Old 2006-05-23, 09:38   Link #380
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
That's simple npal, I didn't view Asa as a backstabbing character but simply I thought that the transition between the arcs was badly written so it made her look like that, and made Kaede look like she was fine with it - on the other hand Nemu annoyed me to no end with her mood swings, jealously fits and all the drama. I don't think it's a matter of "playing fair", people who love each other should be together, and that's that. But well, it's a matter of preference.
As for the fights being Jyunichi's fault, eeer. Would the fight in the 2nd season had happened if Nemu hadn't left Jyunichi alone right after they started their relationship? And look how she was when she came back. Can you really blame Jyunichi for being pissed and jealous for -once- considering how Nemu behaved? I really don't think so.

But I dunno...I think, that, again, it's a matter of personal preference. I guess you and I value different things in people, and you don't mind the traits I'm referring to or you simply don't think that Nemu has them. Selfishness turns me off, I really value it when people do their best to be nice...look at Elis, she's in a few ways similar to Nemu but Elis was doing everything she could to become a better person and keep her conflicts internal, and I found that incredibly admirable. Nemu...meh.
The difference between Rin and Junichi is that you KNOW that Junichi really loves someone we could easily speculate that Rin was free for the take. I mean, I thought it was logical for Rin and Sia to get together in the middle of Shuffle, like Nemu and Junichi in DC, but then Rin dumped Sia. I mean, what is he thinking? I wasn't convinced he loved anyone until after he started dating Asa. The problem with Asa was that Kaede's her best friend. I don't like Asa for the same reason I don't like Mitsuki in KGNE. This whole issue in my eyes is treason. Of course, you can think otherwise, if you think it's fair to be on the receiving side

Well, it is his fault. I mean, they never showed us HOW Nemu left, we are told she left and she apologizes in her letters but nothing more. Ok, Junichi couldn't live without Nemu and got angry and depressed and all that, but I fail to see how Nemu leaving to study something she wanted and then come back is bad. Well, she seemed pretty ok to me when she came back. She threw in a surprise, since she didn't think she'd return so soon. The part I didn't quite get is this. Why is Nemu writing letters and keeps them to herself? Don't they have cell phones??? CALL for God's sake. Nemu didn't call, Junichi didn't call, I mean, what kind of relationship is this? But other than that I think Junichi is way too jealous, a little jealousy is fine, but you have to be careful. I mean, Nemu in first season had every reason to be jealous when she was finding Sakura in Yunichi's bed most of the time And she had reasons to be jealous with all the girls attending to Junichi's needs. I thought the jealousy she displayed was in more or less acceptable levels.

Selfishness, why, everyone is selfish. While I do think if Kotori was in Nemu's position, Nemu wouldn't take it as well if she was in Kotori's place, but I don't imagine Nemu doing something underhanded to get Junichi if she knew he loved Kotori. I think Nemu was being nice enough to everyone, she only got into 1 or 2 serious fights with Junichi throughout the whole DC, while she didn't get into a fight, serious or otherwise, with Sakura or any other girl. I can't understand how Nemu is more selfish than the rest of the girls. If you refer to her leaving, I don't think that's particularly selfish either. Sure it's selfish, but it seems pretty logical to me in the long run and it's not something that can hurt a relationship if you don't want it to, it depends on the people involved and on the relationship. Some can keep up, others cannot. And the whole two years apart story pointed out how committed they were to each other, both Nemu and Junichi. What's not to like in a girl like Nemu, who goes away alone for two years and returns back with the same passion and feelings for Junichi and having done anything wrong during those years. Although the credit goes to Junichi, too. All those nice, pretty girls liking him... That guy has to be a saint, albeit a very lazy one.

Needless to say, give a girl like Nemu any day, and I'll build a temple in your name (of course, if you could perform miracles, I'd have asked for Aisia in the first place )

Suginami should get some love, he was by far the coolest male character. I believe he should be with Mako, they look so good together Reminds me of Itsuki and Mayumi, although Suginami is too cool to be compared to Itsuki.

Edit: Minor edit

Edit 2: Somehow I fail to see how Elis and Nemu are too different Nemu wasn't bad to begin with and Elis, while she wasn't bad, got better, but even then she shares most of Nemu's qualities. I liked Elis, I like Nemu, while I was supposed to like Kotori (or so they told me . Ok I might like her a bit more, but that doesn't mean Nemu was bad. Although I shouldn't like Nemu, that's what I was told. And I like Aisia best )

Last edited by npal; 2006-05-23 at 09:55.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, romance, school life, seinen