AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2008-08-13, 22:37   Link #281
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
Gregorian Chants in Italian!?
That's new, gotta get some help on that~!
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 22:53   Link #282
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Italian is not similar to Latin, and all romance languages are certainly not alike (I would know, I'm french, and spanish and italian are not intelligible to me). The same way, German is not similar to English. There is 2000 years of difference; yes, one evolved from the other, but that doesn't make them "alike".
tobiast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 01:17   Link #283
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeor View Post
Gregorian Chants in Italian!?
That's new, gotta get some help on that~!
The opening chorus is NOT a gregorian chant...it's not even monophonic to start with.
Old 2008-08-14, 04:00   Link #284
Rin Tohsaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
Wow. I would never guess that. Rin is italian and he/she didn't understand it, and I can understand italian fairly well and I was clueless.
Yes, I'm italian (and female!>w<) And as I said before...I had an impression that it was latin (with a bit of italian maybe) too!
I heard that "primitivi" and it's surely latin, and I have to say that if my ears aren't wrong, I've heard something like: "Ancora non cambi\canti sai...?" it's difficult to understand it clearly!^^"
If this was right the line would means "You aren't changing\singing yet, you know...?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
As for the accent, well, maybe the choir in the beginning never sang in italian before. We all know that japanese people have dificulties pronouncing different words, just look at their engrish.
That's true!^__^ Probably the song was sung in italian (with a bit of latin), but if they mispelled almost all of the words...then that's not strange that I wasn't able to understand it!>___< Another example is the Ed of Gunslinger Girl! It's called "Dopo il sogno" that means: "After the dream", I couldn't understand all of the lyric! Since she didn't spell the words always perfectly...^^" And the lyrical sing isn't simple to understand even when an italian tenor sings!^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
Italian is not similar to Latin, and all romance languages are certainly not alike (I would know, I'm french, and spanish and italian are not intelligible to me). The same way, German is not similar to English. There is 2000 years of difference; yes, one evolved from the other, but that doesn't make them "alike".
Tobiast is totally right!^___^ Italian descend from latin, but it's a whole different language! Spanish and Italian have some similarities for example, but they are two different language too!^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or are there some different dialects of Italian that might make it harder to understand from one part of the country to another.
(Sort of like some accents of English can't really be understood by other accents of English. Like say take someone who is Scottish Highlander and someone who is a Texan. They practically require a translator.)
I exclude it! I don't know how it is for the english accents, but here in Italy you may not understand other accents when you hear them, but at least you're able to recognize which dialect is, and some words are the same in a lot of accents!^___^ What's more, I don't think that they would do a song in an Italian dialect! That wouldn't make sense! Italian or Latin is possible, but I would exclude the dialect...
Rin Tohsaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 05:39   Link #285
Coruja

Quote:
I never said they are totally similar, but they have got many similarities. I speak portuguese and I can understand catalan/french/italian/etc without any problem (actually, many of these languages have mutual intelligibility, when I go to Spain I speak portuguese and everybody understands me). I may be a bit biased though, as portuguese sounds a lot like latin to me. French is probably the language that differs the most from Latin, out of these.

I never said they are the same, though. I understand that all of these are totally different.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 12:10   Link #286
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Um, no, they're not mutually intelligible. At best, you get five words in a sentence with no grammatical bearing to help, like between german and flemish; it sounds kinda the same, some words and constructions are similar, but as different languages they're not mutually intelligible. For example, between french and english, the french "physicien" and the english "physician". The first means a physicist, someone who does physics, and the other means a doctor. You fantasize that languages with the same origin are intelligible, you're gonna make some pretty embarrassing mistakes.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:38   Link #287
Coruja

Quote:
Um, no, they're not mutually intelligible. At best, you get five words in a sentence with no grammatical bearing to help, like between german and flemish; it sounds kinda the same, some words and constructions are similar, but as different languages they're not mutually intelligible. For example, between french and english, the french "physicien" and the english "physician". The first means a physicist, someone who does physics, and the other means a doctor. You fantasize that languages with the same origin are intelligible, you're gonna make some pretty embarrassing mistakes.
I wasn't exactly comparing french to english here, as I am perfectly aware those are two hugely different languages. You are totally right about that. But english isn't even a romanic language!
I am talking merely from experience here. I live 5 minutes away from Spain, on the border, and I go there at least once a week. As I said, I never embarrassed myself because I am aware of the differences between both languages. About the mutual intelligibility, I suggest you read this.
Sometimes we get italian shows on the television and, guess what, most of the times these shows aren't even subbed or dubbed, because italian is also pretty similar.
Even if the words are different, which they are, they still sound similar!

Now, when it comes to frech, you are right, french is already pretty dificult, I studied it for three years and I am aware of the many differences. But I still found it waaay easier to learn than english.

So yeah, I stand my point. But this is getting quite off-topic.
Old 2008-08-14, 16:43   Link #288
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
While I agree with you that Latin and the rest of the Romance languages are quite dissimilar (basically because of their vastly different grammatical structure), Spanish, Portuguese and to a great degree Italian are very similar between them, to the point that if we speak slowly we can actually understand each other to a great degree (true story: I have gone to Italy and Brazil and survived without much English). French is the one that has evolved the farthest from its cousins, (pronuntiation, vocabulary, and sometimes even grammar wise), to the point that it is not mutually understandable as your own experience marks.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 22:00   Link #289
tobiast88
No patience for fools

That Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are similar, I can agree to. I simply jumped on the blanket statement that "all romance languages are intelligible".
Old 2008-08-14, 23:03   Link #290
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
That sounds Gregorian to me...
After all, if you use the one from Elfen Lied's opening "Lilium" and compare it
there's barely a difference regarding on the tuning and style
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 00:14   Link #291
Rias

Lilium is written with Gregorian Chant in mind, but it's NOT Gregorian Chant. Like I said, to be Gregoiran Chant, the song has to be monophonic. That means no accompaniment.
Old 2008-08-15, 05:20   Link #292
Coruja

Quote:
That Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are similar, I can agree to. I simply jumped on the blanket statement that "all romance languages are intelligible".
It's not difficult to misunderstand my poor english. It seems that we all agree after all.

Good luck with the translation everybody.
Old 2008-08-15, 05:46   Link #293
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Translation is done. Expect a patch up to and including chapter 9, with subbed opening video. Rejoice.
Old 2008-08-15, 06:00   Link #294
Coruja

*dies*

(I'm sorry for the lack of eloquence, but that's so friggin awesome!)
Old 2008-08-15, 07:44   Link #295
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Announcement!

As we already explained on the animesuki thread, we were unfortunately struck by... some bizarre curse: starting the project that early (February/March 2008), we suffered from many delay due of the exam period but also the summer holiday.
But thanks to our support, and chronotrig's insane speed,...

Witch Hunt is proud to announce that the second patch for Umineko no Naku Koro ni is available!

The second patch covers Chapter 00 to 09 of Episode 1, Legend of the Golden Witch. You can get it with the following links (several mirrors):
[WH] Umineko 1 v0.2 18.85MB (zip file)

-Rapidshare
-Megaupload
-Mediafire
-Sendspace

Please be sure to check the readme file as some specific points must be taken in account for the full use of the patch. (It has been updated, and a FAQ has been made for your convenience).
Also, remember this patch only works with Episode 2 (game). It does NOT work with episode 1.
Please remember that Episode 1 is INCLUDED in Episode 2 (just how it was for Higurashi), hence we are not skipping any episode at all. But the patch can only work with the second game, translation wise, it is about the first episode.

We changed our mind and expanded the content from 0-7 to 0-9. This will cover the whole first day, 4th october 1986, roughly the first half of episode 1!
And since one surprise isn't enough, thanks to The Wafflehouse and Sprocket-hole, here is the subbed version of the Openings, which will work in-game!
[WH] Umineko Opening 84.5MB (zip file)
-sendspace

Please don't hesitate to leave your feedbacks, comments, troubleshoots and so forth here!

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-08-15 at 09:34.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 08:00   Link #296
Coruja

I think I just died!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I have been having a few problems...
Spoiler:

Some sentences appear to be cut in half. That's probably my own problem, I just wanted to confirm that I am the only one having this issue.

Last edited by Coruja; 2008-08-15 at 08:42.
Old 2008-08-15, 08:57   Link #297
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Looks like the patch got indeed screwed big time... despite the tests. O_o
it is time for some emergency fix already *sigh*

EDIT: okay I found the problem, it should be fixed within 10 minutes (time needed to reupload everything etc).
Old 2008-08-15, 09:09   Link #298
Coruja

Ok, thanks, I'm relieved, I thought it was my computer playing tricks on me.
Old 2008-08-15, 09:15   Link #299
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Okay, it is all good now. I updated the rapidshare link. I'm uploading for the 3 other upload sites.
Old 2008-08-15, 09:23   Link #300
Coruja

Thank you all. It works smoothly now. Now I'm off to play Umineko, hehe.

Tags
translation