AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-12, 23:46   Link #1
Shinigami00

Just plain good anime!

Hell, I've been trying to find a good piece of anime, but Ive found myself empty handed so far. Any nice suggestions out there?

What Im looking for more or less:
Action, Romance, Comedy mixed in with good plot, clever dialogues, and some serious jaw-dropping art work. Did I forget to mention good characters!

Series Ive seen and approve:
Hajime No Ippo
Serei no Moribito
Utawarerumono
Full Metal Alchemist (not Brotherhood)
School Rumble
DeathNote

Please avoid recommending highschool dramas at all costs unless theyre really good and funny!

Cheers people! Im growing impatient already!

...ok, just a bit more info I'll need to fit in here:
I hate fan-service, hackneyed storylines, and utterly detest crappy artwork and animation! I also dislike bad character design!

I tried watching Ergo Proxy - didnt like it. Today I tried Outlaw Star and was just put-off by its cartoonish humour and the whole ying-yang magic nonsense!

Last edited by Shinigami00; 2011-01-13 at 01:16.
Old 2011-01-13, 00:12   Link #2
InitialGT

Kaiji
Death Note
Full Metal Panic 1st season then watch FMP: fumoffu

watch those then tell me what you think or why u didn't watch them
Old 2011-01-13, 00:17   Link #3
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Clannad
Bleach
Death Note
School Rumble
Kanon (2006)

A few for now.
Old 2011-01-13, 00:18   Link #4
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Oh, and To Heart and Canvas if you're into romance-style. Although Canvas isn't really a big romance anime...
Old 2011-01-13, 01:26   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's a few based on your list:

Dennou Coil - wonderful two-cour series from Madhouse. Very intricate plot and wonderful characters, with a good amount of humor.

Oh! Edo Rocket - Another Madhouse product (also from 2007). A hilarious faux-historical piece from the author of TTGL. Lots of action here.

Ghost Hound - yet another gem from 2007, this time from Production I.G. Much darker than the first two suggestions, gorgeous artwork, great characters.
Old 2011-01-13, 03:10   Link #6
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Don't let the name fool you, this is a great series. Plenty of action and some gore if it doesn't bother you. Great characters, plot and drama. Also has some well placed light hearted scenes as well as comedy. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a trailer

Old 2011-01-13, 06:14   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd highly recommend The Twelve Kingdoms [has a similar feel of
Serei no Moribito and very good overall series], and Bakemonogatari[definitely has serious jaw-dropping art work but it's shaft, some people, ie me, really like their unique style, others loathe it].
MAL
Old 2011-01-13, 09:44   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami00 View Post
What Im looking for more or less:
Action, Romance, Comedy mixed in with good plot, clever dialogues, and some serious jaw-dropping art work. Did I forget to mention good characters!
Well, Enzo already listed a few that I would have suggested. Let me suggest instead a studio, Brains-Base. They've made a number of series that would fit your request, particularly, Baccano!, Kure-nai, Durarara, and, perhaps, Natsume Yuujinchou. I haven't seen their remake of Full Metal Alchemist ("Brotherhood") so I don't know if that fits the bill or not.

In the "jaw-dropping" artwork department, I'll recommend Bakeneko and Mononoke, both about an "apothecary" who travels Japan selling his wares and slaying demons on the side. The artwork is a mixture of traditional Japanese scroll painting and Yellow Submarine.

Other series I'd recommend for artwork include Noein, Real Drive, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, and Bakemonogatari for starters. Maybe Hakaba Kitaro and Trapeze as well.
Old 2011-01-13, 16:56   Link #9
kitten320

Try out Baccano, it has one of the best developed stories with great character cast. some nice action and comedy too.

What else...
Fate/Saty night maybe? Though I liked the movie story more but it is a bit rushed in parts similar to anime and you might not understand some things.

Otome Youkai Zakuro - the plot is simple but happened to be enjoyable. Has romance, comedy and some action.
Old 2011-01-13, 18:53   Link #10
Shinigami00

Hello dear anime mates, your suggestions have all been checked already! THanks for taking your time to give me some leads here!

I am currently watching Kaiji. Im in the 5th episode and I think Im hooked. Believe or not I have never ever watched Cowboy Bebop, and Im increasingly feeling lured into giving it a try!

Legend of the Legendary Heroes seems promising also, being myself a sucker for everything fantasy.

I checked Dennou Coil and the art-work is truly first-class, people! THanks for that one Enzo!

Baccano was suggested twice so I guess I'll have to check that one out!

Im intrigues by one called Trapeze for the psychedelic weirdness of it! thanks for that one SeijiSensei!

I think Ill also watch Kimi ni Todoke! I think it might be a good laugh!

Peace out!

P.S. Hey, and try not to watch too much anime!
Old 2011-01-14, 16:20   Link #11
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Watch Katanagatari.

I didnt like the art-style when I first seen pictures of it but once I seen it in motion its beautifully animated with wonderfully unique and memorable characters.

IMO one of the best series in recent memory.

Old 2011-01-14, 16:28   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a set of seven film each about murders taking place. Mostly dark, though the 6th film is more fluffy and lighthearted. It's artwork is simply superb

Spoiler for samples:
Old 2011-01-17, 23:07   Link #13
oompa loompa

Romance? Plot? Drama? Gorgeoug art work!?!??!

Why, elementary my dear Watson!

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Go!

DISCLAIMER: This show is real old, so obviously the animation itself isn't spectacular. But the artwork is simply gorgeous. It's also a high school anime, but probably like none you've seen. This one can be a serious hit or miss, I would guess, depending on whether you can pick up on just what the hell is going on in the show.
Closed Thread