Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-14, 18:25   Link #161
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
If what you refer to as fanservice and ecchi is bothering you, maybe you should try something else, because should they stick to the manga plot and characters, you will be unable to follow the anime... for example Ao didn't kiss Kotoha in order for yuri fanboys to get excited, but to stop her from using her power... now why it was a kiss and not something else, it has to do with their relationship. This is the case for the rest of the scenes too. Should you discard them as unnecessary, you will miss a lot of the story.

Now about the episode, the narrating structure was brilliant, and the SFX extremely powerful and well-placed.
I've read most of the manga by this point and I get that (IMO out-of-place ecchi) is a significant part of this series and I'm willing to overlook most of it because I like everything else.

I agree with your point about the kiss. I didn't consider the simple fact that someone sticking their tongue in Kotoha's mouth would neutralize her power. I get that Ao and Kotoha have a special relationship and, personally, I would go eve further to say that I think there is enough content there to ship a yuri relationship between them. But you have to admit that if we were first introduced to that by a yuri kiss scene that would be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Is it not possible that she's bisexual?
I think that would be the logical conclusion based upon the manga.
Old 2013-10-14, 18:32   Link #162
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I don't know how much of the manga it's ok to talk about but she is definitely not a canon lesbian. There are some scenes that suggest she is, but there are also scenes that suggest she's a heterosexual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Is it not possible that she's bisexual?
Well,
Spoiler for just to be safe:
Old 2013-10-14, 18:33   Link #163
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I've read most of the manga by this point and I get that (IMO out-of-place ecchi) is a significant part of this series and I'm willing to overlook most of it because I like everything else.

I agree with your point about the kiss. I didn't consider the simple fact that someone sticking their tongue in Kotoha's mouth would neutralize her power. I get that Ao and Kotoha have a special relationship and, personally, I would go eve further to say that I think there is enough content there to ship a yuri relationship between them. But you have to admit that if we were first introduced to that by a yuri kiss scene that would be silly.

I think that would be the logical conclusion based upon the manga.
I disagree, being able freely to physically and publicly express their feelings is a main theme of the manga instead of irrelevant material added for the satisfaction of hardcore fans, not only in Ao/Kotoha case, but for the rest of the characters. Discarding this aspect of the story, is equivalent of ignoring and consequently misinterpreting what the author tries to convey to the audience.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 18:41   Link #164
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I disagree, being able freely to physically and publicly express their feelings is a main theme of the manga instead of irrelevant material added for the satisfaction of hardcore fans, not only in Ao/Kotoha case, but for the rest of the characters. Discarding this aspect of the story, is equivalent of ignoring and consequently misinterpreting what the author tries to convey to the audience.
I disagree that a main focus of the manga was making some kind of statement about free expression of romance but it's not really worth arguing about. We clearly have radically different perspectives on this subject.

Last edited by NinjaRealist; 2013-10-14 at 18:42. Reason: edited because the post I quoted was edited
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 18:45   Link #165
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Spoiler:
That's all too subjective. Like I said, until proved wrong (explicitly), I'll take her word for it. That's the proper thing to do. We're talking about her preferences after all.
Old 2013-10-14, 20:58   Link #166
HandofFate

The series would be great if it focused primary on Kotoha and her power, but its pretty badass.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 21:37   Link #167
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

This ep I thought the fanservice was a tad too distracting, as I don't really recall the manga having this much at once, but oh well. As for the Snap out of it Kiss, Kotoha is definetly a lesbian as far as I've read (going through chap 44 now) though I'm not sure about Ao though I do recall them being fairly close. That aside though I liked the first half of this episode the most, most particularly when the senate showed up and the imagery and sound suddenly changed. I thought they had Akina lost his shit or something but as it turn out the world was simply getting ready to end outside XD A few nitpicks here and there but it's still an Ok episode in my book.

Last edited by Thatguy3331; 2013-10-15 at 10:54.
Thatguy3331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 21:59   Link #168
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's all too subjective. Like I said, until proved wrong (explicitly), I'll take her word for it. That's the proper thing to do. We're talking about her preferences after all.
Alright, fine, for the purposes of this thread, I'll consider Kotoha a lesbian.

Last edited by NinjaRealist; 2013-10-14 at 22:04. Reason: bad wording
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 22:47   Link #169
MCAL

And thus did Yuri save the town!

And I don't know why, but I just love it when Ao is balancing something on her head. It's so adorable.

@NinjaRealist
I wouldn't really call Kill la kill an example of good fan service. In fact, it's even more crass then Yozakura.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 22:54   Link #170
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
And thus did Yuri save the town!

And I don't know why, but I just love it when Ao is balancing something on her head. It's so adorable.

@NinjaRealist
I wouldn't really call Kill la kill an example of good fan service. In fact, it's even more crass then Yozakura.
Yeah, something just cute about Ao balancing things all the time. Maybe because Ao is a naturally cute character, but it's something fun and lighthearted. Personally I'm curious to see how many various things she'll balance on her head before the series is through .
Old 2013-10-14, 23:00   Link #171
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, something just cute about Ao balancing things all the time. Maybe because Ao is a naturally cute character, but it's something fun and lighthearted.

Agreed.
Old 2013-10-15, 00:23   Link #172
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy3331 View Post

Agreed.
I love that scene . Without Ao the world would be just too dark a place.
Old 2013-10-15, 04:31   Link #173
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Guy is serious when asking why the yuri kiss... also for Kotoha

Lulz
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 04:56   Link #174
Aesthetic Shampoo

I like this better than the manga, which just felt really...i dunno, two-dimensional? I definitely do not mind the fan service though, it's so nonchalant that i just have to give it a pass.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 05:19   Link #175
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I like this better than the manga, which just felt really...i dunno, two-dimensional? I definitely do not mind the fan service though, it's so nonchalant that i just have to give it a pass.
The early chapters aren't particularly great but it gets better later on and the storytelling gets more amusing when Yasuda starts getting into multi-POV situations like in episode 2, which he wrote the script for. Admittedly he seems to like multi-POVs a bit too much and now uses them practically every chance he gets.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 10:01   Link #176
Aesthetic Shampoo

I read up to date, though admittedly it was quite a long time ago. Like i mentioned, i thought it was a bit flat in its execution, but i'll give it another shot when i have the time after the anime is done.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 10:32   Link #177
Renchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
The early chapters aren't particularly great but it gets better later on and the storytelling gets more amusing when Yasuda starts getting into multi-POV situations like in episode 2, which he wrote the script for. Admittedly he seems to like multi-POVs a bit too much and now uses them practically every chance he gets.
I wonder if he's been influenced by Ryohgo Narita, Yasuda has been illustrating his works for almost 10 years
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 11:38   Link #178
HandofFate

maybe its too long, but any gifs around of the land god(?) shrinking the nun into a loli and dragging her away or parts of it?
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 12:59   Link #179
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
maybe its too long, but any gifs around of the land god(?) shrinking the nun into a loli and dragging her away or parts of it?
Is that her normal form or just something he can do?
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 14:25   Link #180
Breimoon

since the aniki is smaller then her in the big version i suppose her true form is the small one.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem