AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-06-22, 10:11   Link #1
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

No "Requests for new threads" threads for Current/Older Series

Every once in a while, somebody posts a thread about a finished or currently running anime in the Upcoming Series sub-forum. Obviously it doesn't belong there, and it's eventually moved to the Current Series or Older Series sub-forums.

Wondering why this was the case, I checked the Older Series and Current Series sub-forums and found out that there is no "Requests for new threads" thread for either sub-forum! Clicking the 'new thread' button will redirect to this message:
Quote:
This sub-forum is limited.

Only the forum staff can create threads in limited forums. We have limited this sub-forum to help maintain its focus and cut down on noise, i.e. no pointless threads cluttering up the place!

If you think a good discussion topic is missing, please let us know by posting in the "Requests for new threads" sticky. Be aware we will only accept reasonable discussion thread requests; see the sticky for more details.
That's nice, but what are we supposed to do if the sub-forum doesn't have that sticky? Obviously I've answered that question already: make a new thread about the anime in the Upcoming Series sub-forum. If this indeed is the rule around these parts, then it must be properly stated and clarified in a sticky for both the Current Series and the Older Series sub-forum. Either that, or we need a new "Requests for new threads" sticky for both sub-forums, which may be easier to do since it doesn't circumvent the rules of the quote above.

The worst thing we can do is just leave this unspoken anomaly up in the air.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 10:40   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^There's a rule or a post somewhere explaining that posts should be made exactly to where you think they don't belong : To the upcoming series. By doing so, and then reporting it to a moderator, it will be moved to the appropriate area.

Though I do wonder why is it exactly Upcoming Series subforum and not somewhere else. Hell, could even create a new subforum just for this purpose..
Old 2011-06-22, 12:42   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
The worst thing we can do is just leave this unspoken anomaly up in the air.
I appreciate your passion for resolving this issue, but it's not exactly unspoken; it has been discussed before. The reason for the message is because it's part of the generic boilerplate text for limited forums (which mostly applies to series sub-forums, but also happens to apply now to the top-level Current and Older Series sub-forums). The reason for the inconsistency is that this issue comes up very rarely, and if we were to create the proposed sticky, I can pretty much guarantee that most of it will be requesting things that are already there but people just forget/neglect to search for.

So for now, as was said, given the infrequency of this need, we've just been telling people to post it in Upcoming and then report it to be moved. Obviously it's not ideal, but again, it's not a common issue so we have been willing to live with the slight awkwardness. Maybe there's a different solution too, but we haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it. Maybe I'll just create a "Request for New Threads" sticky that you can't actually post in but explains the aforementioned procedure, if that'll solve it.
Old 2011-06-22, 12:53   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I appreciate your passion for resolving this issue, but it's not exactly unspoken; it has been discussed before. The reason for the message is because it's part of the generic boilerplate text for limited forums (which mostly applies to series sub-forums, but also happens to apply now to the top-level Current and Older Series sub-forums). The reason for the inconsistency is that this issue comes up very rarely, and if we were to create the proposed sticky, I can pretty much guarantee that most of it will be requesting things that are already there but people just forget/neglect to search for.
Okay, I'm fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So for now, as was said, given the infrequency of this need, we've just been telling people to post it in Upcoming and then report it to be moved. Obviously it's not ideal, but again, it's not a common issue so we have been willing to live with the slight awkwardness. Maybe there's a different solution too, but we haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it. Maybe I'll just create a "Request for New Threads" sticky that you can't actually post in but explains the aforementioned procedure, if that'll solve it.
I think that would clear the confusion. I'm not sure exactly where the rule to post new threads in the Upcoming Series forum was written but it certainly isn't obvious to me, and a sticky thread that explains it would certainly help any confused members. Thanks a lot!
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 13:11   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, great -- I posted the sticky now. We might wordsmith it again later, but it should hopefully get the point across and reduce this confusion. Thanks again for the feedback.