Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-09-04, 19:56   Link #2661
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It was never funny, and it's not now.

Last edited by Solace; 2018-09-06 at 03:11. Reason: We can make the points without the insults, no?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 22:31   Link #2662
dragon1412

I know he has back problem back then, but is it that serious ??? to the point that he have to take a break once in every few months
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 23:07   Link #2663
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
I know he has back problem back then, but is it that serious ??? to the point that he have to take a break once in every few months
A serious question - have you ever had a back problem? Because if you had I can’t imagine you would ever ask that question.

Togashi has commented on this in interviews. Not only have there been times when it was so bad he couldn’t get out of bed for long stretches, but so bad he literally couldn’t take a dump. So bad he couldn’t even move enough to be transported to the hospital because the pain was too severe.
Old 2018-09-04, 23:19   Link #2664
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I guess the lack of details is what confuses some people. For things like herniated disks the prognosis post surgery is actually pretty good. For other kinds of mild to moderate back pain strengthening the back muscles can do the trick in providing more support to the spine and making the pain manageable. I guess the fact that after so many years he still has to deal with it means he got the not so easy to deal with kind, but still it would help in understanding him if there were some specific details about his condition. Not that he owes anyone anything like you have said many times, but it would definitely make it easier for his many fans.

And humor is always good in a cathartic sort of way for dealing with the uncertainty his fans have to live with. At least we have it much better than what we have to deal with in the Song of Ice and Fire world, where I am almost positive GRRR is just sick of the pressure of being a highly sought after author.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 23:25   Link #2665
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It’s pretty clear he has chronic, degenerative disc disease. It’s not rare. As you said, I don’t think he owes anybody a detailed diagnosis - “It hurts like death and sometimes I can’t work” seems plenty specific to me. A guy admitting he can’t shit because his back is so bad isn’t being open enough with the “fans”? I think he could show a raft of MRIs (not that he should) and the Dragon Quest jokes would keep right on coming.
Old 2018-09-05, 00:10   Link #2666
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It was never funny, and it's not now.
It's just a running joke, no need to be so butthurt about it.

Didn't know he was actually going through spine issues, I would have expected something like arthritis something mangakas usually go through.

Last edited by Solace; 2018-09-06 at 03:11. Reason: Removed part of quoted text.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 00:29   Link #2667
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Ehhh, you have to understand, some of us have been hearing that joke over and over for years. And sometimes it's hard to tell whether they are just joking around or actually just uninformedly taking the piss out of a guy for being lazy when he is in fact having genuine health issues.

What I'm trying to say is, when someone gets snappy about that, try not to take it personally, there's years of annoyance at those comments made by dozens of other people behind those words.

I've had mild back pains before.

Mild back pains hurt like hell and make it hard to do things.

From what I understand, Togashi does not have mild back pains, he has the real thing.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 00:33   Link #2668
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

My first post here and I'm not dying waiting some years for new chapters. I mean 3-4 chapters a year for D.gray-man steels one to pray for the best for Hoshino.
Old 2018-09-05, 05:48   Link #2669
dragon1412

Quote:
A serious question - have you ever had a back problem? Because if you had I can’t imagine you would ever ask that question.

Togashi has commented on this in interviews. Not only have there been times when it was so bad he couldn’t get out of bed for long stretches, but so bad he literally couldn’t take a dump. So bad he couldn’t even move enough to be transported to the hospital because the pain was too severe.
No never have any back problem, i was imagine something along the line of pain that come jolting once in a while, but never knew it was severe to the point where he can't move out of the bed, so it mean Togashi is practically living in the hospital then , Never think it would actually relate to his spine when i heard back pain
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 06:00   Link #2670
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Did his DQ account get banned?
Good one. I laughed.

And by the way, I would prefer some of you guys don't push your standard on people. The mangaka always has a choice here. He could end the manga for real if his condition doesn't allow him to work or hired an assistant to finish what he started. In my opinion, he shouldn't let the pride get better of him. At this rate, his fans from other places might die first before he finishes the series.

Last edited by Sixth; 2018-09-06 at 06:11. Reason: Adding "IMO" because Dengar thinks I am pushing my standard on Togashi.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 07:13   Link #2671
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
No never have any back problem, i was imagine something along the line of pain that come jolting once in a while, but never knew it was severe to the point where he can't move out of the bed, so it mean Togashi is practically living in the hospital then , Never think it would actually relate to his spine when i heard back pain
I guarantee you it's spine-related, probably degenerative. Something like 60% of all adults have muscular back pain periodically - it's extremely common. But the disc-related stuff is hardly rare, and it can be totally debilitating. As I said, Togashi has said in interviews that were times it was so bad he couldn't even go to the hospital because the movement was too painful.
Old 2018-09-05, 16:29   Link #2672
MCAL

"lol Togashi Dragon Quest" is definitely tied with "People die when they are killed" for Japanese media related joke that wasn't funny the first time , but definitely isn't the 1000th time. Would be nice if people understood this.

Last edited by MCAL; 2018-09-05 at 16:53.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 00:43   Link #2673
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
And by the way, I would prefer some of you guys don't push your standard on people. The mangaka always has a choice here. He could end the manga for real if his condition doesn't allow him to work or hired an assistant to finish what he started. He shouldn't let the pride get better of him if you ask me. At this rate, his fans from other places might die first before he finishes the series.
Disagree here. I feel like he as the creator should do with his creation whatever it is he wants. It's his creation. It makes sense to me for him to want to be the one to finish it. Else it wouldn't be his creation anymore. It also makes sense for him to want to finish it, rather than cut it short. Because if he did, then his creation could never be considered finished.

And you stating that "he should just end the manga or hire an assistant" as if it's some sort of absolute fact rather than your opinion is... Pushing your standard on people, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
"lol Togashi Dragon Quest" is definitely tied with "People die when they are killed" for Japanese media related joke that wasn't funny the first time , but definitely isn't the 1000th time. Would be nice if people understood this.
While I agree that I do not think it is funny, I disagree with the statement as a whole. What is and isn't funny is not some kind of objective fact, it's something each individual has to decide for themselves. Would be nice if people understood this.
Old 2018-09-06, 00:52   Link #2674
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's also slandering an artist's work ethic and integrity publicly.

In addition to not being and never having been funny...
Old 2018-09-06, 01:37   Link #2675
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's also slandering an artist's work ethic and integrity publicly.

In addition to not being and never having been funny...
I thought it was funny when I thought it was true... I wish it was something harmless like that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 06:09   Link #2676
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Disagree here. I feel like he as the creator should do with his creation whatever it is he wants. It's his creation. It makes sense to me for him to want to be the one to finish it. Else it wouldn't be his creation anymore. It also makes sense for him to want to finish it, rather than cut it short. Because if he did, then his creation could never be considered finished.
Then I guess Dragon Ball isn't Toriyama's creation anymore since he doesn't draw the manga with his own hands anymore. Same goes for all mangaka with assistants or manga writer with a manga artist.

There is a time that people needs to admit his limitation, and learn to compromise. It is clear that his current condition doesn't allow him to do ambitious things, and we don't know how much time he had or will his condition get worse in the future or not.

Tell me, which is more regrettable end in your opinion? Manga ended abruptly and forever because the artist is no longer able to work on it or the manga ended at the desired point with the aid of outsiders. How would the fans that buy his books feel when their collection will be forever incomplete?

I don't know how many you guys reading HxH for his art, but I can tell you that I am reading because of his story. I never care about his art that much. So if the art ended up slightly different but still capture the tone of HxH due to the new artist, I won't get bothered by it unless the art is as bad as Boruto manga or worse.

Quote:
And you stating that "he should just end the manga or hire an assistant" as if it's some sort of absolute fact rather than your opinion is... Pushing your standard on people, as you say.
What lead you to that conclusion? Is it because I don't put "IMO" in my post?
Old 2018-09-06, 15:07   Link #2677
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Then I guess Dragon Ball isn't Toriyama's creation anymore since he doesn't draw the manga with his own hands anymore. Same goes for all mangaka with assistants or manga writer with a manga artist.
You fail to grasp the point I was trying to make. I was trying to convey how I think the artist feels about it.

Quote:
There is a time that people needs to admit his limitation, and learn to compromise. It is clear that his current condition doesn't allow him to do ambitious things, and we don't know how much time he had or will his condition get worse in the future or not.
Are you his boss? You don't get to decide that.

Quote:
Tell me, which is more regrettable end in your opinion? Manga ended abruptly and forever because the artist is no longer able to work on it or the manga ended at the desired point with the aid of outsiders. How would the fans that buy his books feel when their collection will be forever incomplete?
None of that really matters to me. I'm not the artist. Neither are the fans.

Quote:
I don't know how many you guys reading HxH for his art, but I can tell you that I am reading because of his story. I never care about his art that much. So if the art ended up slightly different but still capture the tone of HxH due to the new artist, I won't get bothered by it unless the art is as bad as Boruto manga or worse.
I don't care either way. I care however that the artist gets to make his art the way he wants to make it without entitled fanboys whom he doesn't owe a single thing to getting on his case about it.

Quote:
What lead you to that conclusion? Is it because I don't put "IMO" in my post?
There are many ways to convey that something is just what you feel about it. It doesn't have to be "IMO". Regardless, if you don't want people to think you think your words are absolute, don't use absolute words.
Old 2018-09-06, 17:19   Link #2678
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

We had this conversation before, several times. We understand that back pain can be a severe illness. That's no reason to act like it's a godsend whenever Togashi returns for a couple of chapters before he inevitably has to take a break again. Are fans entitled when they get annoyed over the countless breaks? No, they are not. Are they slandering the artist when they make jokes about it? Only if you want to read it that way. As much as people in this thread want others to understand that Togashi cannot draw because of his back, the very same people fail to understand that it's also irritating for the readers when a story has basically no continuity at all. Every arc gets served in bits and pieces and each time after a hiatus you have to read the entire arc up to that point again because it has been so long that you can't remember what happened.

Personally I don't see why it's so blasphemous for Togashi to hire assistants, just to name one possibility. Sure, it would be nice to finish it himself but at the pace he's going, he ain't getting there in his lifetime.

-

Quote:
No, he isn't his boss. Why is that even relevant. You're getting ultra-defensive but the simple truth is that Sixth's statement isn't wrong.

Quote:

I don't care either way.
That's nice for you but it matters to us. People whose opinion matter the same as anyone else's, including yours.

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2018-09-06 at 17:43.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-07, 00:31   Link #2679
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Based on your logic, you are not my father either so you don't get it to decide whether how and what I should think of Togashi's current situation.

Quote:
I am asking for your personal thought on this and you chose to dodge the question completely.

Also, do you know the Zero no Tsukaima's creator? If I not mistaken, he passed away before he finished his work, but his successor finished for his work after 2 years after his death.

Quote:
I don't care either way. I care however that the artist gets to make his art the way he wants to make it without entitled fanboys whom he doesn't owe a single thing to getting on his case about it.
Excuse me, these entitled fanboys are the source of his income. Don't pretend that he didn't get paid or something.

Quote:
There are many ways to convey that something is just what you feel about it. It doesn't have to be "IMO". Regardless, if you don't want people to think you think your words are absolute, don't use absolute words.
Define "absolute".
Old 2018-09-07, 01:29   Link #2680
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Are they slandering the artist when they make jokes about it?
Yes, if they don't make clear they're joking. I'm sure plenty of people think it really is DQ.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overpowered villain