AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-09-13, 13:19   Link #81
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Picked this show up after another show I was watching this season went into the dumpster. Just watched Episode 1 last night.

I'm an author, and my publisher wants me to write a set of children's biographies about famous mathematicians, so I'm interested to see how much reality the creative team includes and how they include it.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 15:43   Link #82
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

As you'll see, they hit the high points of each scientist's life, but not much else. We see Samuel Morse painting portraits, Ben Franklin flying a kite (made by Mari!) and womanizing a bit, etc. I found the episodes about Gilbert and Faraday more informative because I knew the least about these men. Sometimes, as in the most recent episode about Hertz, you might be scratching your head a bit since the story would lead you to believe he became ill from exposure to cathode rays, but that wasn't the cause at all.

I'd be curious to see the list of mathematicians you come up with. There are the obvious early ones like Pythagoras but modern mathematics gets pretty arcane. Are people like Cantor (how big is infinity?) and Godel (are some things unprovable?) on the list? As a social scientist, I'd nominate Kenneth Arrow for having punched an enormous hole into our ideas about democracy, though you could cover some of the same themes in your book on Charles Dodgson. (I assume any series about mathematicians for kids would have to include the author of Alice in Wonderland.) I doubt you'll be writing about the Marquis de Condorcet, but his work is also fundamental in this field.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 16:27   Link #83
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Still early in the development process. I have a couple of other things to finish up first. But yes, Charles Dodgson is definitely on the short list, for his studies in logic. For modern mathematicians, I was thinking more along the lines of Mandelbrot (fractals) or Lorenz (chaos theory), but it depends on how much resource material there is and whether I can build a story around it.

My publisher is interested in a multicultural approach too, so someone like Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi is a possibility. I was at a recent conference with some visiting high school kids from China, and I asked them for a couple of names, too.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 11:32   Link #84
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How many times did he say "business" in this episode? Two dozen? Fifty? A hundred?

So what happened here? A black hole? Aliens upset at human time traveling? An experiment in weather manipulation by Edison that went astray?

The story about Napoleon's cup suggests Hayase-sensei isn't always the good guy he often appears to be.
Old 2016-09-19, 15:02   Link #85
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How many times did he say "business" in this episode? Two dozen? Fifty? A hundred?

So what happened here? A black hole? Aliens upset at human time traveling? An experiment in weather manipulation by Edison that went astray?

The story about Napoleon's cup suggests Hayase-sensei isn't always the good guy he often appears to be.
It probably has something to do with the armilary device Mikage has. The one he took from Waka was probably the one the past Dr. Hayase is wearing now that he either lost or misplaced or whatever at some future point for him, to then be found by future Waka (our present Waka). Basically the device Mikage is wearing is most likely the future one of the one past Dr. Hayase is wearing and in many time travel shows the same object can't occupy the same space (in this case space time). So the devices are interfering with each other and fudging things up.
Old 2016-09-19, 22:18   Link #86
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 2016-09-24, 19:37   Link #87
Yamada II

Episode 12

So the reason behind the storm was that one compass was present there twice. There were only two compasses and the one which Waka found was the one Eiji had. And since that shouldn't be possible, the storm had to engulf at least one of those compasses to bring things back to normal. But the two compasses end up getting fused together and Eiji and Mari make it back. In the end, it is discovered that a Japanese businessman was partly responsible for almost all of Edison's successes. I liked how they ended the episode with showing Shun still determined to do all that time travel research despite knowing that all this shit is going to happen. And they also show old Mari telling her granddaughter about stuff and then we see the book get replaced by an apple which marks the start of the adventures of Mari through time.

This was a pretty okay show. It disappointed me when it shifted focus from the scientists and the troubles they face when performing all those experiments for their discoveries/inventions. Those parts were really good. When they shifted to the shit with Mikage, I started losing interest in the show. There were times when I was like "why am I watching this?" It's good parts were where the focus was the scientist and its boring parts were where the ficus was on Mikage and friends.
Old 2016-09-24, 20:17   Link #88
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
In the end, it is discovered that a Japanese businessman was partly responsible for almost all of Edison's successes.
And people thought it was Tesla all along.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 22:42   Link #89
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The online "Toaster Museum" doesn't provide much support for the claim that Edison himself invented the device. "There must have been a number of prototype electric toasters made by companies and garage inventors alike in these early years, but it wasn't until 1909 that the first successful electric toaster was produced. In July, 1909, Frank Shailor of General Electric submitted his patent application for the D-12, considered the first commercially successful electric toaster." GE was the result of a merger between Edison's own General Electric Company and a competitor based in Lynn, Massachusetts. So we could say the Edison had some responsibility for the toaster but was apparently not its inventor.

I recall seeing toasters as a child that would flip the bread over when you opened the doors. I think my grandmother may have had one, and we might have owned one ourselves. We got a pop-up toaster (probably a GE) around the time I was in elementary school I think.

As for the three-meals-a-day claim, that also seems apocryphal. There's a reference to this in what appears to be a Japanese magazine called Urban Legend, but the translation is so poor that I cannot tell whether the article confirms the claim or not. According to the article Edison endorsed the three-meals-a-day routine as a method to "become a brain clear as Edison." I can't find any other reference to this claim via a Google search.

Overall I enjoyed this show though I agree with Yamada that the parts about Mikage seemed an unnecessary distraction. I was left puzzled at the end though. The woman at the bookshelf looked like an adult Waka, but if so, who was the older lady? Perhaps that was Mari and the bookshelf woman was Waka's daughter?

One other thing: While I generally dislike the use of slapstick violence that we see in many shows where it seems out of place (like Nodame Cantabile), I thought Papa deserved that punch from Akira.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-09-25 at 09:17.
Old 2016-09-25, 19:12   Link #90
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Overall I enjoyed this show though I agree with Yamada that the parts about Mikage seemed an unnecessary distraction. I was left puzzled at the end though. The woman at the bookshelf looked like an adult Waka, but if so, who was the older lady? Perhaps that was Mari and the bookshelf woman was Waka's daughter?
The older woman with the armilary was definitely Mari. The woman by the bookshelf could have been a child or grandchild of Waka or Shun, or another grandchild or child of Mari's because she may have married Shun. Them having a child or grandchild that resembled someone else in the family tree wouldn't be odd.

And I agree about that punch, although in his defense, this Papa is the one from three years ago. And this event kind of explains why he hadn't been home in three years. His past self has now been transported to the future.

All in all this was a nice little show.
Old 2016-10-16, 02:04   Link #91
Kurohane

Oh gosh, talk about a finale that makes a series that you thought was good up to this point turn to just okay. I know this was meant to be an educational show, but that should also mean not to introduce plot lines that are never going to be properly resolved. Okay, we found out how the book got there, but then what about the whole time machine then?

Mikage was used as a scapegoat to get blame away from Mari's dad. They tried to make Futa relevant at the last minute by having Waka pass out offscreen. The whole finale was done pretty poorly, and felt the happy ending was rather artificial.

Tags
educational, time travel