AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-03, 22:15   Link #18181
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Right well I'm back home, have been for a few days acutally, but I've been decompressing after all the driving and parties and such over the holidays. Been playing allot of games and such since I was nearly in withdrawal from a week without them. Anyway I'll hopefully go through the backlog tonight, dosen't seem like much I'll need to comment on though, and get back in the "Game" as it where acutally I may as well do a quick warmup now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Cartridge size is also an issue, Bardiche uses cartridges the size of grenade launcher rounds, whereas Subaru's knuckle uses cartridges that are more regular bullet sized.
Eh... No not even close. Lowe is pretty much spot on but I shall provide some visual evidence to demonstrate the sheer size of the gap.
Spoiler for Image spam:
Old 2008-01-04, 00:22   Link #18182
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'd always thought the cartridges were Magnum rounds, either .44 or .454; they look huge in the hands of Nanoha and Fate in A's, but remember, these are nine year olds with small hands... (Franz uses .454 for his pistol device and .300 for his rifle/sword device)

On a side note: speaking of the 25mm sniper rifle (Barrett calls it a "payload rifle" because it fires fucking HEAT rounds and THERMOBARIC, AKA FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS), Ivanovich upgrades to one during Disrupted Tangent. As his APC comes under fire from barricade Gadget Drones, he smiles nastily and fires, emptying the mag into the 5 drones blocking the road; they all blow up.

But... Jesus, I didn't know Barrett had made a short barrel variant of the XM109. All the pics I'd seen of it were the long barrel version.

And no, there is no such thing as overkill. I shudder to think of the Red Cross' complaints on the use of this weapon on humans. It's inhumane, but then war is inhumane...

...fuck that, I want it for COD4 multiplayer. THough there'd be huge complaints of hax...

As for Subaru, I was thinking she was using 7.65mm rounds, like the ones in the Walther PPK.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-01-04 at 00:37.
Old 2008-01-04, 06:01   Link #18183
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Spoiler for Image spam:

I know Barrett has some very large sniping weapons, but never THAT BIG 50. Cal sure looks small to me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
On a side note: speaking of the 25mm sniper rifle (Barrett calls it a "payload rifle" because it fires fucking HEAT rounds and THERMOBARIC, AKA FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS)
OH FREAKING YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
But... Jesus, I didn't know Barrett had made a short barrel variant of the XM109. All the pics I'd seen of it were the long barrel version.
Me neither

Quote:
...fuck that, I want it for COD4 multiplayer. THough there'd be huge complaints of hax...
Nah, just give me an XM307 for some nice automatic grenade strafing

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-01-04, 06:06   Link #18184
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
Okay, what is this - movie stealing year?

Honestly, it's enough to copy The Dark Knight, but AvP and I am Legend too?

I have just ONE thing to say about this:

Ah well, that crack spam for the past few days was for a reason... Only The Gray Knight is going to get written, and it only borrows the title, but shares nothing with the original in content. Like Cleric Begins.

Quote:

<picks up illegally, obscenely large warhammer>

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA!!!!!

<begins trying to brain der Kleriker w/said warhammer>
Oh come on! First a sword, now a warhammer?!

*sidesteps swing*

Whatever happened to the hot favorite Ion Canon?! I need a blast pronto!

Quote:
The first MSLN LegendS OP is DONE!

And HEEERE it is!

Spoiler for MSLN LegendS OP #1:

And yes, if you need some help visualizing a few of the scenes, go see the 1st Gundam SEED OP on Youtube.

Or, better yet:

And ALSO yes, I took some liberties with the lyric translation - something I WILL do again in the future.
Well done! No complaint here, other than: Where's that naked silouette shot?

*dodges sword and warhammer*

Quote:
Anyway, I guess this means that Saga of Saga never happened in your rebuild?
It did. This was before "Signum" lost her memory and became Signum only, to be discovered by Tiara and gang uttering "Erio" and "Laevantine". Now I've a perfectly good crackless reason why the then amnesiac was doing that.

It was after Signum caught sight of Agito briefly, that that buried memory began to stir. Same thing happens to Agito.

Quote:
Wait wait wait, roll back. What on earth are you talking about?
Well nothing really. The betawriters made me throw the idea out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That's no excuse for imminent immorality and infidelity

Besides, been wanting to test that sword on someone for sometime now
Yeah well it was mostly hype. I'm trying to taunt-- er I mean... Hmm never mind.

Quote:

T3H CRACK is very bad indeed
Rest easy, that idea's been thrown out for "mindfuck". The good enjoyable type, not the Asuka-mindscrewing.

As for what I am saying, it'll have to wait till I get to that part. No OCs' integrity were harmed in the process of writing.

Quote:
Keroko-kun: .... You still got that target-lock Keroko-tan?
Keroko-tan: Whach? Fire on target-lock? HACHA!

Keroko-tan: Oops.
Spoiler for Keroko-kun:
"The Trap has been laid, and the bait set."

"Shouldn't it be the trap has been set?"

"Oh shut up and enjoy the light show."

Old Master Saru: Oh heavens above! The candle has been lit! THEY shall come! THEY shall come!

See the reason why I've been asking for it?
Old 2008-01-04, 06:18   Link #18185
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Look closely, deep inside some you can find a tsundere... and the occaisonal Yandere
I see...

Quote:
well some privies are SinX dominant, SD/BS and such
Yah, it is one of the coolest classes around

Quote:
lemme guess:

HAXXaweh?

*runs*

Quote:
Simca is hawt thought
Don't know who that is.

Quote:
Saint X is thinking deeply upon the horror of what he will unleash.

Quote:
In the old days, when the series was still running, we dreaded and anticipated the arival of the next Ion Canon blast with each episode. Each episode contained new information that could make or break our characters, when someone's character got shot to pieces by the new info (like your Treize) we called it 'getting hit by the Ion Canon'

Remember now?
Oh, THAT Ion Canon
I thought it was the older Ion Canon from A's, before StrikerS
That one did a lot more damage

Besides, Treize didn't take a direct hit She's alive and well

Quote:
Some variation of Hyaweh, I'm guessing...

I made it myself
Spoiler for Top-Secret:

Quote:
Thanks!

*runs*
Old 2008-01-04, 08:31   Link #18186
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I don't think they'd be the size of Grenade Launcher rounds, considering how large Bardiche would have to be in order for them to be so (mind you, a standard 40mm grenade round is somewhere around the size of a small can). At most, they'd be 357. Magnum sized, one of the larger calibers you can slap on a revolver, or if you want very large a .50 caliber (12mm) round. Revolver Knuckle's would be something around the size of a 45. or a 9mm.
Quote:
Eh... No not even close. Lowe is pretty much spot on but I shall provide some visual evidence to demonstrate the sheer size of the gap.
Spoiler for Image spam:
Damn, didn't know the things were that freaking big. Statement withdrawn.

However...

Spoiler for Image spam and counter image spam:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Still curious.

Quote:

Spoiler for Keroko-kun:
"The Trap has been laid, and the bait set."

"Shouldn't it be the trap has been set?"

"Oh shut up and enjoy the light show."

Old Master Saru: Oh heavens above! The candle has been lit! THEY shall come! THEY shall come!

See the reason why I've been asking for it?
.... Scrin? Nope, beyond that not ringing any bells.

Quote:
It did. This was before "Signum" lost her memory and became Signum only, to be discovered by Tiara and gang uttering "Erio" and "Laevantine". Now I've a perfectly good crackless reason why the then amnesiac was doing that.

It was after Signum caught sight of Agito briefly, that that buried memory began to stir. Same thing happens to Agito.
... You know what? Screw it. Keroko-tan! Second volley!

Keroko-tan: Hayo! Second volley, Hacha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Oh, THAT Ion Canon
I thought it was the older Ion Canon from A's, before StrikerS
That one did a lot more damage

Besides, Treize didn't take a direct hit She's alive and well
Treize did take a direct hit. You managed to save her, but she took a direct hit nonetheless.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-01-04 at 09:22.
Old 2008-01-04, 08:47   Link #18187
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
This seems very similar in both apearance and size to Nanoha's cartridge magazines. Does that mean Nanoha uses 25 mm rounds?
I doubt so. At a glance, while they seem similar, Nanoha's cartridges are nowhere near the size of 25mm rounds; if you see by the image, the 25mm is really 40mm across when counting the diameter of the casing; none of Nanoha's cartridges are that big. My personal theory (after hastily rewatching A's) is that her cartridges were 12.7mm (aka .50 cal), given that your average .50cal round (cartridge, primer and bullet) is about the size of a stick of RAM (well, bigger by a bit...)

Quote:
Compared to what we've seen of Fate's cartridges, they are longer then the High Caliber Magnum rounds. Not grenade launcher size (I've already withdrawn that claim) but still bigger then those rounds. For example, this screenshot of the reloader next to Bardiche as comparison:
Spoiler:
That bugged me for a while; I'd forgotten that it bugged me. Judging by the animation the cartridges appear to be of similar size to heavy caliber Magnum rounds, but longer...

Also, check the scene where Shamal is prepping cartridges and charging them with mana. Where the hell did she get those? Because they looked like normal pistol rounds to me...well, Magnum rounds, at any rate... (also, as an aside: where are Fate and Nanoha getting their mana charges from? Selfcharging like Rin? Or there's an armorer who has just enough power to charge the cartridges for them?)

Side trivia: the main thing that sets apart a Magnum round from a normal round is the fact that Magnum rounds are longer, so as to pack in more powder. Thus, you can fire .38 Special rounds from a .357 Magnum revolver, or .44 Special from a .44 magnum, but not the other way around.

Also, sorry to nitpick, but the thing that you called a "reloader" is a speedloader.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-04, 09:22   Link #18188
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I doubt so. At a glance, while they seem similar, Nanoha's cartridges are nowhere near the size of 25mm rounds; if you see by the image, the 25mm is really 40mm across when counting the diameter of the casing; none of Nanoha's cartridges are that big. My personal theory (after hastily rewatching A's) is that her cartridges were 12.7mm (aka .50 cal), given that your average .50cal round (cartridge, primer and bullet) is about the size of a stick of RAM (well, bigger by a bit...)
I see. I've got a lot to learn about bullets, it seems.

Quote:
Also, check the scene where Shamal is prepping cartridges and charging them with mana. Where the hell did she get those? Because they looked like normal pistol rounds to me...well, Magnum rounds, at any rate...
Created by Yami no Sho, perhaps? If it can supply the knights with armor, surely amunition shouldn't be a problem for a Lost Logia.

Quote:
(also, as an aside: where are Fate and Nanoha getting their mana charges from? Selfcharging like Rin? Or there's an armorer who has just enough power to charge the cartridges for them?)
That's easy, their cartridges were supplied by the TSAB, who probably use technomagic to mass produce and charge cartridges.

Quote:
Also, sorry to nitpick, but the thing that you called a "reloader" is a speedloader.
Right. Speedloader. Got it.
Old 2008-01-04, 09:35   Link #18189
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Also, check the scene where Shamal is prepping cartridges and charging them with mana. Where the hell did she get those? Because they looked like normal pistol rounds to me...well, Magnum rounds, at any rate... (also, as an aside: where are Fate and Nanoha getting their mana charges from? Selfcharging like Rin? Or there's an armorer who has just enough power to charge the cartridges for them?)
See, I asked these questions way back when StrikerS began, and was basically told that I was thinking too hard about it.

I have yet to come up with an answer that does not boil down to "it's MAGIC".

Basically, I'm not sure where the physical cartridges come from, especially since we see in A's and StrikerS that the cartridge-users are careless about leaving those cartridges on the scene (not collecting them afterwards). There was a suggestion before that the cartridges themselves are made of magic and they dissolve after a certain period of time, but that does not bode well for long-term storage of cartridges, since I'm not sure if an organization like the TSAB can operate on just-in-time delivery of items.

We know that the TSAB knew about the Belkan cartridge system back in A's, since said cartridge system had a serial number (meaning that it was categorized and filed away before the events therein), which is plausible since they were allied with Saint Church as of StrikerS and probably before. Therefore, it's also plausible that the TSAB, whether from its own Neo-Belka mages or Saint Church, learned how to create cartridges, or hired people who could.

Shamal, meanwhile, presumably does the cartridge-charging thing as part of her duties as a Knight, and it is logical to assume that the Book of Darkness would want to provide what is essentially a self-sufficient force in the Knights, so Shamal's source of the physical cartridges is either herself or the Book of Darkness, somehow.

I'm not sure how many different calibres of cartridges there are; there's probably a trade-off between the obvious benefits of standardization (I'll leave it to the experts to explain, but basically it lets people share ammo) and what I would assume to be the "style", and thus fighting effectiveness, of individual implementations of the cartridge system. For example, I'm not sure why Bardiche has the revolver setup and Raising Heart has the magazine setup when they had their cartridge systems installed at the same time. I mean, I can guess, but I don't know for sure.
Old 2008-01-04, 10:51   Link #18190
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I see. I've got a lot to learn about bullets, it seems.
Lol, you made another faux pas there. Only the actual tip is the "bullet". The proper term to describe the complete package (and the simplest) is "round", which is used to refer to the full package of bullet, primer & casing. Don't feel too bad though; I got lectured on these by my dad a while back (he was ROTC and wanted to go Army but busted the physical after they found he was colorblind. He was very disappointed.)

Quote:
Created by Yami no Sho, perhaps? If it can supply the knights with armor, surely amunition shouldn't be a problem for a Lost Logia.
That's something, I guess... *shrugs* We'l probably never know...

Quote:
That's easy, their cartridges were supplied by the TSAB, who probably use technomagic to mass produce and charge cartridges.
Hmmm. I suppose that would work, seeing as how the TSAB IS a rather hugeass organisation...

Oh god, I just had a new Noble Phantasm pop into my mind: Unlimited Cartridge Works ~ Infinite Creation of Cartridges, the Noble Phantasm of the unnamed TSAB armorer who makes cartridges

I am the primer of my cartridge
Steel is my body and mana is my blood
I have loaded over a thousand devices
Unknown to jamming, nor known to misfire
Yet these hands will never know peace
So as I pray, Unlimited Cartridge Works

Really outta the left field Anybody wanna take a shot at cleaning it up and making it better? Lowe! Get Smith and Wesson in here!

Quote:
Right. Speedloader. Got it.
Yep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
See, I asked these questions way back when StrikerS began, and was basically told that I was thinking too hard about it.

To be fair, this IS a fusion of mahou shoujo and sci-fi.

Quote:
Basically, I'm not sure where the physical cartridges come from, especially since we see in A's and StrikerS that the cartridge-users are careless about leaving those cartridges on the scene (not collecting them afterwards). There was a suggestion before that the cartridges themselves are made of magic and they dissolve after a certain period of time, but that does not bode well for long-term storage of cartridges, since I'm not sure if an organization like the TSAB can operate on just-in-time delivery of items.

We know that the TSAB knew about the Belkan cartridge system back in A's, since said cartridge system had a serial number (meaning that it was categorized and filed away before the events therein), which is plausible since they were allied with Saint Church as of StrikerS and probably before. Therefore, it's also plausible that the TSAB, whether from its own Neo-Belka mages or Saint Church, learned how to create cartridges, or hired people who could.

Shamal, meanwhile, presumably does the cartridge-charging thing as part of her duties as a Knight, and it is logical to assume that the Book of Darkness would want to provide what is essentially a self-sufficient force in the Knights, so Shamal's source of the physical cartridges is either herself or the Book of Darkness, somehow.
On the subject of serial numbers, it could well be that the TSAB classed the system according to the Belkan serial number it originally had; though our point is quite valid. I hadn't really thought about Shamal doing the charging as part of her duties; the impression Triad's subs gave me was "Well, I'm not needing these, and you and Vita need them more than me, so I can help y'all make them rather than sitting wasting my time in a half-assed manner."

Quote:
I'm not sure how many different calibres of cartridges there are; there's probably a trade-off between the obvious benefits of standardization (I'll leave it to the experts to explain, but basically it lets people share ammo) and what I would assume to be the "style", and thus fighting effectiveness, of individual implementations of the cartridge system. For example, I'm not sure why Bardiche has the revolver setup and Raising Heart has the magazine setup when they had their cartridge systems installed at the same time. I mean, I can guess, but I don't know for sure.
Not to mention that standardised ammo is easier to distribute in bulk, plus you get bulk discounts and shit, and it means you can grab ammo from say a SAW and it'll work in an M16 (almost all rifles chambered for 7.62mm NATO use the same style of magazine well so you could theoretically use G3 magazines in a FAL; ditto M16/M4 and G36, FAMAS, L86).

As for Bardiche, my guess is that the revolver system provides Fate with better balance, since she's swinging it around so much; my OC Naomi Jaeger uses a relvolver setup for the same reason. Since Nanoha is more to the tanking and firing, it makes more sense for her to use a box magazine and recoil operation system; you can chamber cartridges faster, and use the mag as a grip (note: in real life, only a handful of rifles are this stable. There's a reason they make tac grips for most weapons with Picatinny rails).

Also, the beamspam is somewhat more impressive with the breech sliding back, ejecting a spent cartridge, and sliding forward, a new cartridge chambered...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-04, 11:11   Link #18191
Tormenk

Quote:
Who's this supposed to be anyway?
The failed gar attempt was Yuuno. Dishing out the Black Impact was Katrina. Likely to happen in the far off future if I ever make it that far in writing it out.

Quote:

Reminds me on why traditional human instinct is becoming obsolete in the modern world
Can't keep up with the unique environment of this world.

Quote:
Its their own fault for ignoring everything that is not Satashi.
I think the thread can be renamed into Satashi's Hideout or something. Sounds like something in the fan creation sections.

Quote:
If they'd do that in canon, that would certainly make my day. In OC-verse, though, Keroko is already in that bed.
Along that thought, any Yuuno and Keroko bed scenes?

Quote:
That too, but the beamspam is what I was aiming for.
Got it.

Quote:
In the old days, when the series was still running, we dreaded and anticipated the arival of the next Ion Canon blast with each episode. Each episode contained new information that could make or break our characters, when someone's character got shot to pieces by the new info (like your Treize) we called it 'getting hit by the Ion Canon'

Remember now?
Old days huh..

Quote:
Don't worry, I plan on continuing that story no matter what. Although I don't usually write when I'm not in the proper mood to do so, and it's hard to write something like that when you're in a holiday mood.
The holiday bugs bite and won't let go even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post

Even now there are alot of questions that can be deemed thinking too hard. Off-hand somethings I wonder about are means of transportation both magical and non-magical for those within the universe, whether they are mages or not, the status of freelance mercenary mages in the employ other than the TSAB etc.

Quote:
Hmmm. I suppose that would work, seeing as how the TSAB IS a rather hugeass organisation...

Oh god, I just had a new Noble Phantasm pop into my mind: Unlimited Cartridge Works ~ Infinite Creation of Cartridges, the Noble Phantasm of the unnamed TSAB armorer who makes cartridges

Really outta the left field Anybody wanna take a shot at cleaning it up and making it better? Lowe! Get Smith and Wesson in here!
Any UBW-related chant is a good one for me.

Quote:
As for Bardiche, my guess is that the revolver system provides Fate with better balance, since she's swinging it around so much; my OC Naomi Jaeger uses a relvolver setup for the same reason. Since Nanoha is more to the tanking and firing, it makes more sense for her to use a box magazine and recoil operation system; you can chamber cartridges faster, and use the mag as a grip (note: in real life, only a handful of rifles are this stable. There's a reason they make tac grips for most weapons with Picatinny rails).

Also, the beamspam is somewhat more impressive with the breech sliding back, ejecting a spent cartridge, and sliding forward, a new cartridge chambered...
That is one consideration I hadn't thought of before with considerations of magitech and traditional concerns.

And yeah, Nanoha's beamspam in A's was made that much more awesome because of this.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2008-01-04, 13:32   Link #18192
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Oh come on! First a sword, now a warhammer?!

*sidesteps swing*

Ion Control Center

OpCmd: Approval and code confirmed. We are a go.

Op1: Bringing control systems online.

Op2: Locating target...target lock confirmed.

Op1: Altering orbit...will be in position in 30 seconds.

Op2: Releasing firing lock.

Op1: Ion Cannon is now hot. Awaiting firing order.

Op2: Um, permission to speak freely sir?

OpCmd: Permission granted.

Op2: Isn't this a little...overkill sir?

OpCmd: Apparently you haven't been on duty when the Kerokos are around, huh?

Op2: Uh, no sir.

OpCmd: Let's just say that this is pretty...tame compared to when they order a bombardment.

Op2: Er, right sir.

OpCmd: Anyway, Fire on my command...FIRE!

Quote:
Rest easy, that idea's been thrown out for "mindfuck". The good enjoyable type, not the Asuka-mindscrewing.
Poor Asuka .
Although since when is a 'mindfuck' enjoyable?

Quote:

Ah, I remember that mission. 'Oops' indeed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Yah, it is one of the coolest classes around
Ah, the memories of old SinX....

Quote:
.... Scrin? Nope, beyond that not ringing any bells.
The new faction in C&C3, the Scrin.

Quote:
... You know what? Screw it. Keroko-tan! Second volley!

Keroko-tan: Hayo! Second volley, Hacha!

Man I love the new Ion Cannon animation .

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I think the thread can be renamed into Satashi's Hideout or something. Sounds like something in the fan creation sections.

Seem like it, huh?

Quote:
And yeah, Nanoha's beamspam in A's was made that much more awesome because of this.
Yea it was, huh? As she spent more cartridges you got a feel for the amount of power in the attack and went .
Like when she spent almost an entire magazine to blast Quattro in StrikerS...

Last edited by Evangelion Xgouki; 2008-01-04 at 15:43.
Old 2008-01-04, 14:46   Link #18193
Mortarion
I am the Stig

Quote:

I know Barrett has some very large sniping weapons, but never THAT BIG 50. Cal sure looks small to me now

OH FREAKING YEAH

Me neither

Dude...that gun is like...insane...

I cant decide wether that thing is pure genius or just plain lunacy. although i have to say, if you have to stafe someone with a grenade launcher, your doing something seriously wrong, or your seriously outclassed...either or really
Old 2008-01-04, 14:57   Link #18194
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Damn, didn't know the things were that freaking big. Statement withdrawn.

However...

This seems very similar in both apearance and size to Nanoha's cartridge magazines. Does that mean Nanoha uses 25 mm rounds?
Very doubtful another image with a human for somewhat better scale:
Spoiler for size:

As you can see these mags are HUGE.
Quote:
Spoiler for Image spam and counter image spam:
That’s debatable IMO looking at Bardiche in the foreground, which we know you can easily hold between two fingers, it’s quite close IMO at best the cases are a few millimeters longer, if that.

Also when the scales get this small, as said millimeters, the accuracy of the animators (who couldn't even seem to decide how big Teana breasts were through half the anime.) comes into question. Some highly technical guys with an intense interest or understanding of the subject can be somewht relied upon to consider such things, but with a random animator whose probably just given a rough objective like "big pistol bullets in a speedloader" drawing any definitive conclusions is very hard. That's why I gave caliber ranges and used "about" allot really IMO you could aruge they're anything from about .357 to to slightly larger then .500 S&W which is why I just prefer "large bore pistol rounds" myself and then just calling others bigger or smaller.

Quote:
I VERY much doubt that, this is a magazine for 12.7mm:
Spoiler for More image spam:

Again it's frikkin huge compared to what we see on Raising Heart IMO... I can see them being the size of a medium caliber (>6.5mm) assault rifle, but no more really.

Quote:
That bugged me for a while; I'd forgotten that it bugged me. Judging by the animation the cartridges appear to be of similar size to heavy caliber Magnum rounds, but longer...
I don't think we can trust the animators enough to make judgments like that when we're probably taking differences in the millimeter range here...
Quote:
Also, check the scene where Shamal is prepping cartridges and charging them with mana. Where the hell did she get those? Because they looked like normal pistol rounds to me...well, Magnum rounds, at any rate...
Well they can teleport maybe she just hoped over a US gun show to stock up.

Quote:
(also, as an aside: where are Fate and Nanoha getting their mana charges from? Selfcharging like Rin? Or there's an armorer who has just enough power to charge the cartridges for them?)
Hard to say it would seem to depend on how many users you had and how much you could standardize them, and some might still prefer to do it themselves just like some shooters like to reload their own ammo at home. That said people using cartridges still seem rare and every weapon we've ever seen that uses them seems to be of a slightly different caliber so IMO it's possible the mages do still make them themselves or that they're produced by a small team of armorers working more like craftsmen then in a big old industrialized factory... Sort of like the Army has a team of armories that dose nothing but maintain, build, and produce ammo for their match rifle team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortarion

I cant decide wether that thing is pure genius or just plain lunacy. although i have to say, if you have to stafe someone with a grenade launcher, your doing something seriously wrong, or your seriously outclassed...either or really
Or you're in speedy hover vehicle...

The Hachimoto is so much fun if you get a decent pilot/gunner combo going...
Old 2008-01-04, 15:47   Link #18195
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
Hello all. Love the general debate on the caliber in Nanoha and company's arsenal, but I would like to ask how get involved in this madess that is the Nanoha RPG. What's the current stage of the world, and how far OC have we gone from StrikerS?
Old 2008-01-04, 17:15   Link #18196
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand-Smith View Post
Hello all. Love the general debate on the caliber in Nanoha and company's arsenal, but I would like to ask how get involved in this madess that is the Nanoha RPG. What's the current stage of the world, and how far OC have we gone from StrikerS?
Ah, greetings adventurer. Welcome to the Outer Cadia

I suppose to get started, you must have an appreciation for:
-Crack (and lots of it)
-Bluecheesium (only the finest served here)
-Backlog (offered in varying quantities)
-Hot blood and GAR
-Ion Cannon strikes (and being able to survive a few... *runs*)

Actually, all you need is a great personality and active imagination . Each poster here has one or original characters that they have created and some even their own divisions. If you check out the first page, there is a master directory of people's characters and stories. Feel free to read through a few to get an idea of how to create your very own .

There is also a link there for the Nanoha-verse timeline. Sadly, we don't really have master one for the vast number of OCs. A decent chunk of the stories written are pretty independent of one another, but there are also some that use other OCs or work from a specific timeline. As far as I know, we haven't really deviated much from StrikerS in the stories here too much. Any integration of characters has been properly handled by their respective creators (like Nanoha's sister Keroko by Keroko).

If you have any questions, feel free to post and we'll help you out the best us very sane people can. We're all sane, really!

Oh, and don't worry about having to read through all 900+ pages...
Old 2008-01-04, 17:46   Link #18197
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I don't have a appreciation for pretty much everything on that list...
I don't even know what Bluecheesium is!

Thanks for the info everyone. Needed it to reason how many cartridges Rune's device Crea has... I'm debating it actually having 2 revolver thingies. One in each blade, as it's a swallow blade after all.
Old 2008-01-04, 19:57   Link #18198
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Cartridges.... I recall writing Franz as being stuck reloading Cortana manually in Rifle Form, ala Springfield .30-06 or M40A1/A3. Considering having him upgrrade to stripper clips.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-04, 21:01   Link #18199
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Ahhh...a Breaker. Haven't done one of these in a while. *lights flamethrower*

Quote:
That's a BIG gun. Not something I'd wanna square off against.

Quote:
Only The Gray Knight is going to get written, and it only borrows the title, but shares nothing with the original in content.
STRIKE THEM DOWN WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT!!! ...Sorry, wrong Grey Knight.

Quote:

As for what I am saying, it'll have to wait till I get to that part. No OCs' integrity were harmed in the process of writing.
The subtle difference in mental roller-coastery being...? And what's this about integrity???

Quote:

[CENTER]

What the HELL just happened to that poor planet!?

Quote:
On the subject of serial numbers, it could well be that the TSAB classed the system according to the Belkan serial number it originally had; though our point is quite valid. I hadn't really thought about Shamal doing the charging as part of her duties; the impression Triad's subs gave me was "Well, I'm not needing these, and you and Vita need them more than me, so I can help y'all make them rather than sitting wasting my time in a half-assed manner."

Not to mention that standardised ammo is easier to distribute in bulk, plus you get bulk discounts and shit, and it means you can grab ammo from say a SAW and it'll work in an M16 (almost all rifles chambered for 7.62mm NATO use the same style of magazine well so you could theoretically use G3 magazines in a FAL; ditto M16/M4 and G36, FAMAS, L86).

Ehh, Triad's track record is a bit wonky anyway. Though I don't think Shamal ever did use cartridges, and it is something to do in one's spare time.

On standardization...good point. However, I would guess that they don't standardize for the same reason every real-life weapon doesn't: too many variants. Off the top of my head, I can think of about twenty different ammo sizes of weapons. You can standardize to a certain degree, I guess, but there are so many different variations, not counting any custom sized weapons, that complete standardization is probably futile. Same idea with cartridges.

While we're on cartridge sizes, what's the largest revolver chamber, in number of bullets, anyone's heard of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Ah, greetings adventurer. Welcome to the Outer Cadia

I suppose to get started, you must have an appreciation for:
-Crack (and lots of it)
-Bluecheesium (only the finest served here)
-Backlog (offered in varying quantities)
-Hot blood and GAR
-Ion Cannon strikes (and being able to survive a few... *runs*)

Actually, all you need is a great personality and active imagination . Each poster here has one or original characters that they have created and some even their own divisions. If you check out the first page, there is a master directory of people's characters and stories. Feel free to read through a few to get an idea of how to create your very own .

There is also a link there for the Nanoha-verse timeline. Sadly, we don't really have master one for the vast number of OCs. A decent chunk of the stories written are pretty independent of one another, but there are also some that use other OCs or work from a specific timeline. As far as I know, we haven't really deviated much from StrikerS in the stories here too much. Any integration of characters has been properly handled by their respective creators (like Nanoha's sister Keroko by Keroko).

If you have any questions, feel free to post and we'll help you out the best us very sane people can. We're all sane, really!

Oh, and don't worry about having to read through all 900+ pages...
Matte, you forgot something: The HAXXBUSTERS!

FYI Ryand, they're in charge of making sure we don't tread into overpoweredness. Nice folks though, as long as they are not provoked...

Quote:
Cartridges.... I recall writing Franz as being stuck reloading Cortana manually in Rifle Form, ala Springfield .30-06 or M40A1/A3. Considering having him upgrrade to stripper clips.
...Stripper clips? Never heard of those.

Course, the past page and a half has taught me more about bullets and ammo than I've ever learned. I feel ready to- *shot by Heavy; outsmarted by bullet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
STRIKE DOWN THE INFIDEL-*muffled struggle*

Sorry. He gets all bent out every now and then.

Bluecheesium, if I'm not mistaken, basically means walls of text. Amirite?
Old 2008-01-04, 21:55   Link #18200
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You sure?

I'd be happy to comply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
Yeah well it was mostly hype. I'm trying to taunt-- er I mean... Hmm never mind.

Aaaw and I thought I'd get to use my other weapons as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
I'd screw her mind, if you get my drif-

*headshot >>> Lowe*

Quote:

So as I load, Unlimited Cartridge Works

Asides from a very small FIX, it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Quote:
OH YEAH

One of the many reasons I like Nanoha so much

Quote:
The failed gar attempt was Yuuno. Dishing out the Black Impact was Katrina. Likely to happen in the far off future if I ever make it that far in writing it out.
Yuuno vs Katrina?!?!?! It's unthinkable, yet so AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk
Can't keep up with the unique environment of this world.
Unique indeed, especially since alot of modern needs, desires, norms, philosophies, disciplines and culture go against alot of basic natural instincts Maybe that's why there's a lot of confusion and contradiction in this world between logic and feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk
The holiday bugs bite and won't let go even now.
Very much true

Quote:
Poor Asuka .
Although since when is a 'mindfuck' enjoyable?
When one actually consents to it?

*runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki
Yea it was, huh? As she spent more cartridges you got a feel for the amount of power in the attack and went .
Like when she spent almost an entire magazine to blast Quattro in StrikerS...
Yep, she was pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortarion View Post

That depends on the situation... automatic grenade launchers like the Mark 19 have been around since the 70's, and is extremely useful in anti-vehicle work, and in urban combat situations, like this one:

Spoiler for Mark 19:

Quote:
Or you're in speedy hover vehicle...

The Hachimoto is so much fun if you get a decent pilot/gunner combo going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand-Smith View Post
Welcome to OC

There's actually no limit to what you can go into here, as this isn't actually an RPG per se, so there's no set "present" timeline or timeframe to follow. We have a variety of stories and scenarios ranging from MSLN's distant past, to A's to StrikerS, to StrikerS proper and beyond. It all depends on what you have in mind, and what you want to do Just let your imagination run rampant, and most of al have fun

Quote:
Yes, we're very sane people, truly!

*bounces off plushy walls*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
*points down*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal
Bluecheesium, if I'm not mistaken, basically means walls of text. Amirite?
Yup, basically MASSIVE WALLS OF TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
That's a BIG gun. Not something I'd wanna square off against.
It's something you'd want when you want something cleared out very quickly though

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Closed Thread