AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-18, 03:08   Link #1
Fronzel
Schmuck

Tsukikage Ran opinions

I'm thinking of picking up this series, and am wondering what people have to say. Anime on DVD didn't think much of it, but I disagree with them sometimes. There’s not much buzz about it (it only finished its release early this year), so I guess it’s probably not great, but who knows? Anyone have anything to say?
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 03:34   Link #2
Go-lytely

I thought it was good. It was funny and there was good action. Ran and Mao make a good comedic combo. People criticize it for its lack of a continuous plot and you can tell they reused cells in later eps, but I thought it was still good enough to watch.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 07:33   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

AoD did rate it rather average, I though it deserved better than that.

It has nice comedy, good 'realistic' fighting sequences, very nice period music, my main complaint (for want of a better word) was the lack of long-term plot. Each story was stand-alone with only a couple of eps (at the end) which hinted as to any background to Ran and Myao-chan. It also meant that the stories were not that deep or complicated. So in terms of Excellent / Good / Av / Poor / Bad, I would rate it as 'Good', at least B on the AoD scale.

One thing you might do is get the first DVD and after watching it, decide if you want to see another 9 episodes of a similar vein
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 10:10   Link #4
NenMaster

i didnt think this anime was any thing special, the story was a little silly, if u like that kind of humor go for it
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 04:33   Link #5
Fronzel
Schmuck

Hey, not everything has to be the Kenshin OVA or SaiKano or whatever. I think I'll try out the first disc. Thanks for commenting, all.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 20:12   Link #6
NenMaster

u will see, i doubt u will get more disks, unless ure a collector of series u buy
Old 2003-12-07, 17:54   Link #7
SoSD
Inactive Member

After watching all of the Kenshin television series, I found myself utterly fed up with the stereotypical samurai anime. I simply couldn't stand any more.

Calling out the names of your attacks, the endless fucking commentary from secondary characters as the main character fights, not to mention the additional commentary inside the heads of the the characters actually fighting.

In that state, someone convinced to to try Kaze makase Tsukikage Ran. I imagine it was a difficult sell, but having watched a good deal of it now, I must thank them.

I found it far more enjoyable than Kenshin, or horror or horrors, Samurai Deeper Kyo (what a waste of time that was).

I say that Kaze makase Tsukikage Ran is the best samurai anime out there, and I will mock any who dare stand against me!

It is so refreshing to have the climactic fight of an episode pass without the combatants pausing for a monologue every second stroke, or screaming out attacks with seven-word names.

Anyway, I endorse your choice!
SoSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 19:15   Link #8
NenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSD
After watching all of the Kenshin television series, I found myself utterly fed up with the stereotypical samurai anime. I simply couldn't stand any more.

Calling out the names of your attacks, the endless fucking commentary from secondary characters as the main character fights, not to mention the additional commentary inside the heads of the the characters actually fighting.

In that state, someone convinced to to try Kaze makase Tsukikage Ran. I imagine it was a difficult sell, but having watched a good deal of it now, I must thank them.

I found it far more enjoyable than Kenshin, or horror or horrors, Samurai Deeper Kyo (what a waste of time that was).

I say that Kaze makase Tsukikage Ran is the best samurai anime out there, and I will mock any who dare stand against me!

It is so refreshing to have the climactic fight of an episode pass without the combatants pausing for a monologue every second stroke, or screaming out attacks with seven-word names.

Anyway, I endorse your choice!
must be a joke there was hardly any fighting in this, just them doing crappy things and them drinking sake
Old 2004-02-21, 10:29   Link #9
Weissent
on and off member

Cool what's my point?

First of all, I really don't like Kenshin (one of the few ppl, I guess), don't ask my why, but I don't like it. Same goes for P.M. Kurogane. Those two animes aim for teenage viewers, I guess. Unfortunately I'm old. From a young teenage POV

However, I enjoyed "Kazemakaze Tsukikage Ran" quite a lot. It has something old-fashioned about it, be it the chara design, be it the music; it reminded me of my very early 80s anime experiences. Some ppl complain about the lack of plot/character-development. Plot-schmot; as long as it keeps me entertained, I'll be there, and the entertainment rating for Tsukikage is imho pretty good. Not quite as Azumanga Daiou, but somewhere in this region. One thing I really don't need, is an anime which tries fishing in the waters of a "really deep" highschool-romance etc. Got enough of those "treats" already. Watching those make me wonder how the birth rate of Japan is above "I get a nosebleed everytime I get close to a girl" Kudos to Gainax' Karo Kano, btw. Their kids actually get some

</ramble>

Last edited by Weissent; 2004-02-21 at 22:39.
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 19:35   Link #10
Joojoobees

Thumbs up Not exactly a gem, but a nice watch

This was a nice little series. It was by no means the most important series I have ever watched, but I did enjoy it. It was kind of light weight; I felt like I was watching TV, not getting immersed in a literary or cinematic event.

I saw this series after having watched Samurai Champloo, but while watching Tsukikage Ran, I started to wonder if it hadn't been an influence. The two main characters in Tsukikage Ran are an itinerant Samurai and a somewhat uncouth fighter. Now the plot is nothing like SC, but beyond those two character types, the fighting also bears some similarities (although the fighting sequences in SC were typically longer).

Now that I have mentioned fighting scenes, I want to respond to one of the old comments in this thread. The fights in this series are very short, especially compared to the "fighting genre" shows, where the fight is the primary purpose of the show. This is a comedy history show primarily, but I think the fighting sequences are fairly believable.

The artwork is somewhat simple compared to modern standards, but it is mostly pretty nice. I love the opening, the artwork, the song; it's just great.

Xris gave this a B in his comment. I think that's a fair grade, but I'm bumping it up to B+ because I found myself looking forward to watching a couple of episodes each night.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 20:38   Link #11
Red Herring
SPARTANS

I recommend this show to fans of samurai adventure. Its episodic with no plot at all, but really the show is just about kicking ass and getting drunk. It put a smile on my face.

I wish the show was more than 13 episodes, though. In the short time, I kind of got attached to Ran and Miao and wanted to see more of them. O well.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:01   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tsukikage Ran is a retelling of the *classic* Edo period samurai adventures with the "samurai with no name" being replaced by the graceful witty Ran and her loud silly sidekick Miow.

The swordfighting sequences are *very* well done -- that is, they aren't the stupid fantasy bull that so many loud and noisy shows propagate. As a kendo student and general swordsman myself, I appreciated that aspect.

The stories themselves indeed are mainly about "drifting with the wind" ... finding the next hot bowl of rice and good sake -- and accidently righting wrongs. Each episode stands alone to some extent though there are life-changing episodes for each of the two comrades.

Since they are retellings of the old stories, the humor is rather ... interesting. and sometimes the good people die too.

I recommend it, even if only for the swordfighting but Ran herself is interesting. Miow is goofy (she's supposed to be chinese and her slapstick is very much in the vein of chinese kungfu slapstick) but you get used to her. I give the overall series a "B" mostly because of the disconnected stories.. but then that's how the original tales were told.
Old 2007-03-14, 14:29   Link #13
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Tsukikage Ran is a retelling of the *classic* Edo period samurai adventures with the "samurai with no name" being replaced by the graceful witty Ran and her loud silly sidekick Miow.
Vexx, do you know what the original stories were called? I wouldn't mind giving them a read, if I can find them translated.

Props, BTW for studying Kendo. That's really cool.
Old 2007-03-14, 16:30   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've never really found a good single collection of the stories in a "pre-20th C. - film/tv" written format. The jidaigeki films are the format most people know. Here's some linkies of interest from my Pile'o'bookmarks file:

Jidaigeki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jidaigeki
T. Ran facts and review: http://www.ex.org/5.4/15-anime_kaze.html
47 Ronin essay: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/588...murai-in-japan
Ronin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronin
Of course, a lot of Kurosawa's films are pulled from these folktales:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/movie/essen...awa/index.html

If anyone has any leads on written versions of the old tales (which exhibit parallels to the Robin Hood myths), I'd certainly be interested. Apparently, an 18th C. ronin named Kyokutei Bakin wrote many tales of samurai and ronin but I've not found much outside of a names of two called "The Eight Dog Chronicle" and "The Crescent Moon".
Old 2007-03-14, 23:29   Link #15
Joojoobees

Vexx, thanks for that. Those links were very interesting. The Wikipedia entry on Jidaigeki reminded me that I wanted to watch more of Zatoichi.

The only source for written version of old Japanese tales that I know of are the writings of Chikamatsu Monzaemon. I read several of his peices a while back, including one which was adapted to the Kurasawa movie Roshoman.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 23:39   Link #16
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've never really found a good single collection of the stories in a "pre-20th C. - film/tv" written format. The jidaigeki films are the format most people know. Here's some linkies of interest from my Pile'o'bookmarks file:

Jidaigeki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jidaigeki
T. Ran facts and review: http://www.ex.org/5.4/15-anime_kaze.html
47 Ronin essay: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/588...murai-in-japan
Ronin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronin
Of course, a lot of Kurosawa's films are pulled from these folktales:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/movie/essen...awa/index.html

If anyone has any leads on written versions of the old tales (which exhibit parallels to the Robin Hood myths), I'd certainly be interested. Apparently, an 18th C. ronin named Kyokutei Bakin wrote many tales of samurai and ronin but I've not found much outside of a names of two called "The Eight Dog Chronicle" and "The Crescent Moon".
Good stuff. I've always been in love with jidaigeki.

Now I feel like watching this show again...
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 12:16   Link #17
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Does anyone know if Tsukihake Ran counts as a historical show w/o supernatural elements involved?
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy