AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-03-17, 16:31   Link #1601
rafael1932
claymores pimp

This is ecchi and therefore we only care about the jokes.

the fights are not serious like deadmen wonderland, elfin lied, shiki ( etc) where anything can happen – of course people die here and there and sometimes even very bad things can happen ( like losing an arm).

I do like how they got the idea of fighting like they were playing chess but, in the end, they all have plot armor. No one is serious thinking that the good ones ( or even 1 of them) is going to die, right?

This last episode was probably the worst until now because is the same old cliché of good guy / bad guy and it has very few jokes. Less plot, more jokes is what I say. Probably the next one will be like this one. It is a pity because during all this time I couldn’t stop laughing.
rafael1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 16:52   Link #1602
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I think it bears reminding that this is the anime thread, and thus source material spoilers are not allowed to be posted here, which seems to be an increasing problem as of late. Keep the LN stuff in the LN thread, this one is intended for the discussion of DxD anime only, and should be a safe place for people who haven't read the LN. Or a horde of carnivorous bunnies will devour your soul. You don't want that.
Old 2012-03-17, 16:56   Link #1603
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael1932 View Post
This is ecchi and therefore we only care about the jokes.

the fights are not serious like deadmen wonderland, elfin lied, shiki ( etc) where anything can happen – of course people die here and there and sometimes even very bad things can happen ( like losing an arm).

I do like how they got the idea of fighting like they were playing chess but, in the end, they all have plot armor. No one is serious thinking that the good ones ( or even 1 of them) is going to die, right?

This last episode was probably the worst until now because is the same old cliché of good guy / bad guy and it has very few jokes. Less plot, more jokes is what I say. Probably the next one will be like this one. It is a pity because during all this time I couldn’t stop laughing.
You just compared it to series that are completely different, Deadman Wonderland all the characters were criminals so of course there is very little plot armour. Elfen Lied has a ruthless character that will kill anyone who gets in her way be it ally or enemy. idk what Shiki is so i can't comment on that one.

I DARE YOU to say that we only care about the jokes in the ln forums, here we can't fight back very well due to restrictions in the story (which the anime only covers 2 of the current 11 volumes). And as others from that forum have been saying, all the juicy content comes after v2 (end of anime).
dragonroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 16:58   Link #1604
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
On that note, there is a certain beef I have with the portrayal of Raiser's instant regeneration, something that almost always irks me when such powers are brought up - yes, you might not be able to die, but that shouldn't make you immune to pain! And there should have been lots and lots of very intense pain being transmitted from a torn-off arm during the process. Yes, it starts healing mere seconds afterwards, but the moment of impact itself should have a person rolling on the floor while howling in inhumane manner, if not passing out straight away. The sensation should be nothing short of agonizing and crippling, leading to an overload of nervous system and unconsciousness as result, more so after multiple such injuries in quick succession. Though in a way I'm not surprised that wasn't the case, writers rarely seem to remember this tibid when dealing with "immortality".
The purpose of pain is to warn you you are injured or about to injure yourself. It wouldn't be beneficial to an immortal being who can heal any wounds instantly, on the contrary. Even if they still have a sense of pain, their threshold must be much higher than that of mortals. An arm cut off should be nothing but a scratch for them.

In Raizer's case, it makes even more sense to me since he was born that way. If it did its job well, evolution should have removed the sense of pain since it's not only useless, but detrimental. He's a different species altogether, you can't compare him to humans or even regular demons.
Old 2012-03-17, 17:15   Link #1605
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The purpose of pain is to warn you you are injured or about to injure yourself. It wouldn't be beneficial to an immortal being who can heal any wounds instantly, on the contrary. Even if they still have a sense of pain, their threshold must be much higher than that of mortals. An arm cut off should be nothing but a scratch for them.

In Raizer's case, it makes even more sense to me since he was born that way. If it did its job well, evolution should have removed the sense of pain since it's not only useless, but detrimental. He's a different species altogether, you can't compare him to humans or even regular demons.
I suppose it could work, but he is still a demon after all - not a different species altogether, so anatomically he shouldn't be any different from any other demon, so I'm not sure evolution comes in to play here. And other demons haven't displayed lacking ability to perceive pain, though I would readily accept that they could be more resistant to it in general.

I suppose it could be chalked up as a side-effect to his instant regeneration magical ability, which would certainly be convenient to have along with instant regeneration, but I'm not necessarily convinced that's what they were alluding to here, instead of it being a simple oversight, along with the underpowering of Rias, just to make Raiser appear that much more badass in his first battle instance
Old 2012-03-17, 17:46   Link #1606
maplehurry

His sister can still feel pain
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 21:52   Link #1607
zzhk
Summary Machine

The pain issue is exactly the weakness Rias was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
In this episode Rias already mentioned that regeneration takes a mental toll so all they need to do is do enough damage to make Raizer give up. (On this note, I disagree with certain translations that uses "soul"... "Breaking his spirit" would be preferable to "cutting down his soul") Of course, how to repeatedly deliver that level of damage is the question.
The body can regenerate indefinitely but the mind can only take so much.

But I guess Raizer would have upped his pain tolerance given his ample battle experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Another beef I had was portrayal of Rias power - was it me, or were the blasts she sent in Raiser's direction absolutely wimpy compared to what she unleashed upon the three angels a couple of weeks ago. We are talking attacks barely big enough to tear off an arm VS a grand stream of power that completely engulfed and obliterated three whole people at once.
Rias was running out of magic towards the end.
Leviathan of the Covenant
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 23:11   Link #1608
rvlast

oh you /a/... oh you...

rvlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 23:47   Link #1609
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

very impressive rvlast. You should post that in the ln thread aswell.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:48   Link #1610
wizvelasco

did i just see fear in raiser's eyes when he was about to kill ise?
wizvelasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 03:26   Link #1611
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That was more like a "WTF" face.

Also Rias nooooo! You gave up! I'll never forgive you! Giving up now means Issei's confidence will take a massive nosedive!

What the hell kind of King sacrifices themselves to save a pawn anyways? If you lose the King it's GAME OVER.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 03:55   Link #1612
Misdreavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
That was more like a "WTF" face.

Also Rias nooooo! You gave up! I'll never forgive you! Giving up now means Issei's confidence will take a massive nosedive!

What the hell kind of King sacrifices themselves to save a pawn anyways? If you lose the King it's GAME OVER.
If you weren't paying attention, Raiser was gonna KILL Issei, and as you know, people die if they are killed.

Rias obviously didn't want Issei to die, so what else could she do.

I'm sort of happy that Rias didn't win the game, as that wouldn't have been as interesting in my opinion, and people would scream of plot armour/predictable etc.
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 04:04   Link #1613
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlast View Post
oh you /a/... oh you...

EPIC. WIN.

Maker-Magic ... Sweet.

Though i didn't expect Issei to be the one who used it.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:14   Link #1614
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
Well they have a ova planned . The ova will be out with vol 13 in September.
But for now they had to finish vol 2 with the next ep ,that's for sure.
I think that's an OAD rather than an actual OVA. They're usually considered as specials and are included with a manga/light novel volume or with BD releases as promotion. OVAs are normally of higher production value and have longer viewing time. I'm not complaining but I hope sales are really good and TNK releases an actual OVA series for Highschool DxD in the future.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 05:35   Link #1615
zzhk
Summary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeir View Post
EPIC. WIN.

Maker-Magic ... Sweet.

Though i didn't expect Issei to be the one who used it.
It's not Issei using Kiba's ability...

As the descriptions of Transfer and Gift indicate, Issei is simply transferring his power to amplify Kiba's Sword Birth power in the ground.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:44   Link #1616
bumbayker

I wonder if Issei used the Boosted Gear Gift on Rias would they have a better chance at beating Raiser? Or does it only work on other sacred gears? I guess it wouldn't have mattered since his body was already at its limit by the time he faced Raiser.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 05:56   Link #1617
zzhk
Summary Machine

Well, Boosted Gear can amplify the power/strength of anything but doesn't do anything about exhaustion of either magic or physical endurance.

Rias and Ise were pretty much out of juice at that point.

Perhaps things would have gone differently if he could amplify Rias and Akeno's power in the beginning and they just clear out all the pieces and take turns blasting Raizer together. But then that would make a whole different story and Issei wouldn't have awakened his ability in the first place.
Old 2012-03-18, 06:40   Link #1618
silvercover
Romance Expert

hmm. didnt read the whole thread so there might be others but... I think im the only guy who doesnt really dislike raiser here.
im not sure why not really. but I think its because, as a whole, his situation and stance in the story is pretty stable. not sure to explain. he's a demon pretty much. he comes off as a jerk but at least not an asshole if that makes sense...
I think il only dislike the guy if it turns out he's betraying his own kind for more power, he wants to control the "world", breaks his vows/promises, etc.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 10:29   Link #1619
rvlast

Technically, he's just a jerkass but he's not evil. He's just following his and Rias' parents wishes after all. Just that he's just seeing Rias as the Gremory name and not as Rias herself.
rvlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 11:48   Link #1620
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

Like rvlast said, he's a pure asshole, he's not evil but no one really want's to be around him. He was going to kill all of Rias' servants to cut her ties with earth to get her to return to the underworld so she would marry him (he did this in episode 8 i think it was). If Grayfia hadn't stopped them he would have done so.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen