AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-07-13, 23:01   Link #41
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'm sorry about going on about this stuff. I know I take what most would consider a dumb and overly-strict limit on what I refer to with words like "racist" or "bigot". I jut don't see any value in using those terms. All throwing denunciations of bigotry at others does is foster resentment and increase friction; it rarely helps a situation. I'd much rather talk about efforts to increase investment in struggling communities, to find ways to bring access to quality education and training to those that have not been able to get it, to increase interactions with the people who serve communities outside of that service to build a real relationship, trust in the community and commitment by those in service to help and protect them, to calm this insane world down a bit and maybe go back to a world where the news isn't filled with atrocities, tragedies, and hate. And about this show, which generally didn't throw accusations that strongly but still very effectively showed the pain caused by ignorance, poor choices in how one presents things, the corrosive effects of hatred, failures in government, and so much more.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2020-07-14 at 00:14.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 13:58   Link #42
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for “Episode 8”:

TL;DR…
@BWTraveller
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 15:16   Link #43
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I wouldn't really call it an axe to grind. I'm just sick and tired of watching the world attacking itself, everyone hating everyone and saying and doing things that only make the hatred grow. I feel like there are better ways to get institutions to put more effort into helping than telling them they're all bigots even if they don't know it. As I said in my previous post, I just want to go back to a world that isn't on fire, filled with bastards attacking others just because their skin's a little darker and people tearing down statues without stopping to check whether the guy was a slave-owning Confederate general or an abolitionist who died fighting for freedom for all.
Old 2020-07-15, 08:41   Link #44
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Good Lord, I really needed the laugh. Thanks, guys.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 10:39   Link #45
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I wish I could laugh. It's all just too relevant, and not just the stuff where beastmen are easily connected to different races but also those where they're closer to the physiologically or mentally atypical. It's all so complicated and falls apart so quickly, and it's so charged with hate and stained by past injustices. And it doesn't help that we're currently in a situation where resources are strained, making it even harder to change things and making the need for a change all the more immediate. Ultimately I liked this show, a lot more than I thought I would, and I thought it did a good job at dealing with this complicated mess.

I do wonder if there are any actual real-world situations that are applicable to the albatross' plight though.

Either way I'm out. Please don't tell me how I have an axe to grind, or how I'm wrong or right, or how I made you laugh or cry. I'd rather not engage in such conversation anymore, and I have trouble not responding when someone talks to me.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2020-07-15 at 11:05.
Old 2020-07-18, 03:38   Link #46
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for Episode 9:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I wouldn't really call it an axe to grind. I'm just sick and tired of watching the world attacking itself, everyone hating everyone and saying and doing things that only make the hatred grow. I feel like there are better ways to get institutions to put more effort into helping than telling them they're all bigots even if they don't know it. As I said in my previous post, I just want to go back to a world that isn't on fire, filled with bastards attacking others just because their skin's a little darker and people tearing down statues without stopping to check whether the guy was a slave-owning Confederate general or an abolitionist who died fighting for freedom for all.
I hate to break this to you but people were attacking others for having darker skin well before you thought the world was burning. To think the world is only now burning because the wrong statue got torn down...
Old 2020-07-18, 10:41   Link #47
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I hate to break this to you but people were attacking others for having darker skin well before you thought the world was burning. To think the world is only now burning because the wrong statue got torn down...
I don't think history should be sanitized. Gotta accept the good with the bad and learn from both.
Old 2020-07-18, 11:25   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't think history should be sanitized. Gotta accept the good with the bad and learn from both.
If you're talking about statues in general then I'd be inclined to agree.

The problem is it isn't really that simple for America.

But now that you've said that you've made realise something about BNA.
Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2020-07-18, 12:05   Link #49
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
First off, I asked to please just not respond. Second, you miss the point. I'm not blind, I know things have been bad, sometimes getting better, sometimes getting worse, but right now things are going insane, and I just want things to calm down. The way things are right now I don't think it'd even be possible to improve. And seriously, you have to focus on the fact that I made mention of something stupid on the black side only? I made a point of starting with the uptick in bastards attacking people for being a different race. My only point about the statues was a simple wat people are getting excessively fervent with this, pulling down anything they think might be negative in some way.

As for Michiru, I'd say she's always been set up to have this flaw. She always runs ahead without thinking things through all the way, and screwed up in a variety of ways. This includes rushing to trust people who weren't 100% trustworthy, getting herself in one jam after another, and also approaching her predicament in a way that she doesn't even register would offend other people. And again, in the show like in real life, things are complicated. I don't think the show's trying to present much as "right" or "wrong", just decisions that were made and consequences resulting. The cult is ostensibly an attempt to foster specific morals and decrease crime and violence, but it's not presented as an actual good way to do it. And thus Michiru's conflict: her friend is doing something that's clearly wrong, but she's doing it for reasons that she can't entirely dismiss as bad.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2020-07-18 at 12:33.
Old 2020-07-21, 14:00   Link #50
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for Episode 10:

Last edited by Haak; 2020-07-21 at 15:13.
Old 2020-07-21, 20:00   Link #51
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I said it before, and I'll say it again.
Spoiler:

As for the history,
Spoiler:
Old 2020-07-24, 10:08   Link #52
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for Episode 11:

Last episode remaining

Last edited by Haak; 2020-07-24 at 11:52. Reason: Typo
Old 2020-07-24, 10:55   Link #53
BWTraveller
Born to ship

While I agree with much of what you said, I'd again have to disagree about the show changing or "ruining" the characters. It felt like a fairly believable flow to me, with character flaws being shown on and off throughout now coming to a head in a dangerous way. They were always the way they are now in my opinion, it's just things weren't this bad before and the scale of a situation can change how a person looks. A person could be a fairly good individual and do some really good work when things are calm and overall prosperous, but put them in a situation where everything's hitting the fan, and suddenly it's a lot harder to get out of any slip-ups and they quickly go from a good person to an absolute moron (just so no one misunderstands me, I am NOT talking about any current political figures).

And honestly, I do kind of wish they'd come up with a way to make a big climactic ending without twisting things so that mental conditions were involved as well, even if that side hits a bit deeper for me. It does muddy the waters in a way.
Old 2020-07-24, 11:26   Link #54
Ghostfriendly

Depicting victims of racism and genocide as stupid, selfish and congenitally violent (most of the beastmen) makes for a poor story. The ideas that a persecuted minority in a ghetto are violent because of their DNA, not their persecution, and that 'putting different groups together always leads to violence' aren't just from the anime that Enoch Powell would make; it robs everyone outside the lead characters of the agency that would make them more than literal animals in a ghetto. Is that a good thing to portray about even a fictional persecuted minority? Blaming the beastmen's problems on genetic roid-rage (this kind of biological determinism is the bedrock of racism) defeats the effort the series does make to criticise big pharma and racism, as well as what could have been a sensible message that multiculturalism is not always easy or painless (because of cultural and historic differences, not racial ones). A hint of genocide denial was also very unwelcome, though I'm going to be generous and say that we can infer Alan was lying about the fate of Nirvasyl. Humans with bows, armour, military tactic and a numerical advantage absolutely could have massacred beastmen, even without the help of a three-headed wolf monster.

Still, I thought the lead characters were likable, with their dramas and personalities quite decently constructed. Michiru was certainly the bumbling and lovable shapeshifter of a Tanuki girl we badly needed, after that hopeless degraded victim of Stockholm Syndrome in Shield Hero. The Mink Girl and Molerat Mayor were good characters with good designs as well, and I liked the animation.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-24, 11:48   Link #55
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Depicting victims of racism and genocide as stupid, selfish and congenitally violent (most of the beastmen) makes for a poor story. The ideas that a persecuted minority in a ghetto are violent because of their DNA, not their persecution, and that 'putting different groups together always leads to violence' aren't just from the anime that Enoch Powell would make; it robs everyone outside the lead characters of the agency that would make them more than literal animals in a ghetto. Is that a good thing to portray about even a fictional persecuted minority? Blaming the beastmen's problems on genetic roid-rage (this kind of biological determinism is the bedrock of racism) defeats the effort the series does make to criticise big pharma and racism, as well as what could have been a sensible message that multiculturalism is not always easy or painless (because of cultural and historic differences, not racial ones). A hint of genocide denial was also very unwelcome, though I'm going to be generous and say that we can infer Alan was lying about the fate of Nirvasyl. Humans with bows, armour, military tactic and a numerical advantage absolutely could have massacred beastmen, even without the help of a three-headed wolf monster.

Still, I thought the lead characters were likable, with their dramas and personalities quite decently constructed. Michiru was certainly the bumbling and lovable shapeshifter of a Tanuki girl we badly needed, after that hopeless degraded victim of Stockholm Syndrome in Shield Hero. The Mink Girl and Molerat Mayor were good characters with good designs as well, and I liked the animation.
To be fair, it doesn't really go so far as to suggest that the general violence and high crime in the area is a result of their DNA. It's only their tendency to turn into Kaiju when under extreme stress that is set up as genetic, and possibly their tendency to trust more readily than humans. So no, it's not saying that they're violent because of anything besides the situation they're in. I do understand that suggesting there's any kind of behavioral tendencies that are connected to race is patently false and more than a little off-putting, though. While I related pretty well to the aspects more connected to neurological variance rather than race, it certainly was at the least questionable to mix the two.

And I don't think they're all that big on denial of atrocities. In Shiro's backstory we see confirmation of a variety of other atrocities, including beastmen being kept in obvious concentration camps where they're experimented on like lab rats. Saying that one massacre wasn't their fault doesn't begin to make the humans guilt-free after things like that; if anything, it feels like Nirvasyl was minor compared to the things that are confirmed to have happened, like denying that you killed a guy's brother but admitting to raping and killing his mother and sisters.
Old 2020-07-24, 12:30   Link #56
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post

I don't remember any part of anime implying animal humans are lacking intelectually.

Also BNA is first and foremost fiction. There is nothing wrong with orcs or goblins being evil, angels good and animalish beings wild (nor is wrong to subvert that. Anything goes as long as it make good story). Problem only start if someone try draw comparisson between human races and completely different inteligent fantasy spieces. And if someone does that, they are also only ones bothered by that, so it doesn't really matter anyway.
Old 2020-07-27, 11:29   Link #57
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for Finale:

Last edited by Haak; 2020-07-27 at 12:56.
Old 2020-07-27, 15:04   Link #58
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, as I'd said before, I think one message they might be trying to convey is: it's complicated. There are lots of motivations, lots of prejudices, lots of causes and effects and issues, and writing people off as criminals or bad people is not really getting the whole picture. Nazuna is a great example there I think. Yes, she did deceive the people, but she did it because she had been thoroughly deceived herself and completely believed that given the circumstances the deception was the most effective, if not the only substantially effective, way she could help keep things from exploding. When she finally realized that she'd been duped and saw the scale of the chaos caused by her mistake, she sought to go out and help. Perhaps she continued to hold some selfish desires as well, some deep-rooted desire for documentation of her efforts to bring about fame and fortune, but that is not the main goal. And this lack of understanding itself makes it hard for Michiru to hate her or completely condemn her even as she disagrees with what she's doing, because she knows that Nazuna's doing what she earnestly believes will help save lives and she can't entirely deny (at first) that lives may indeed be saved.

If anything, I think that's one of the biggest messages: the need to seriously look at one another, to get to know each other as different peoples, and as different people. Not properly understanding another people and the complex issues they're dealing with can result in one's words or actions being offensive or even harmful, and not properly seeing the person him/herself can equally harm. Again, it's complex and one needs to appreciate that complexity.

Tags
furry