AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-31, 14:24   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Pumpkin Scissors - Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Pumpkin Scissors anime or manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or manga.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime or manga (or any non-anime source). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read this FAQ.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 14:24   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Mahou’s Showtime Page | Fall Anime Schedule (credit: Kaoru Chujo) | Date&Time.com (time conversion)

Q. When does Pumpkin Scissors air?
A. Tuesdays at 2:00 AM (Japan time). Sometimes listed as Monday 26:00

Click on the "Date&Time.com" link above to convert to your time-zone.

Q. How many episodes will Pumpkin Scissors run for?
A. Currently unknown (maybe 24).

Links
ANN, AniDB, AnimeNfo, Wiki, Official Site

First episode broadcast on Tuesday 3rd October 2006 on Tere Tama.
Old 2006-10-31, 15:50   Link #3
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

How can you change your poll vote?
Old 2006-10-31, 16:10   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
How can you change your poll vote?
This might well be a question but it's hardly a Pumpkin Scissors question is it...
Quote:
This thread is for those with questions about the Pumpkin Scissors anime or manga.
I assume you mean how do you change a vote you made in one of the Pumpkin Scissors episode polls. The answer is that you can't. The best I can do (as a Mod) is edit the poll count but I doubt it will remove your name from the poll (since it is a public poll it will remain visible). So it's best just to chalk it up to an error.
Old 2006-10-31, 18:38   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Sorry about that but I didn't know where to ask. You see I voted an "8" instead of a "9" for ep. 4 by mistake but I didn't see where I could change the vote.

So, sorry for the error.
Old 2006-10-31, 18:51   Link #6
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i looked on ANN and couldn't really find an answer to this, so i thought i'd ask here...

how long did the Pumpkin Scissors manga run? I know it has five volumes, but is that just "five volumes so far" or is it "five volumes total and no more to come"?
i think i was wondering if it's currently running. I know that NeoSam posted the five volumes' covers and said it was published in Magazine GREAT. Is it still running?
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 08:22   Link #7
Sakurafire
Peacetime Mandolorian

Send a message via AIM to Sakurafire
It's in Monthly Shonen magazine now. ^^ You can special order the new issues at akadotretail.com.

Here's the link for the exact page: http://www.akadotretail.com/product_...ucts_id=17413#

Also does anyone know of anyplaces you can get the buy manga at? (I'm not looking for a scanalation, but the physical book.)

Last edited by Sakurafire; 2006-11-09 at 08:45.
Sakurafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 19:26   Link #8
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for sepculation:
Old 2007-01-10, 08:23   Link #9
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Never really thought about it before, but what does Gespenstjäger stand for? Ghosthunter or something? (I'm inclined to go with ghostly hunter though, which seems to fit better)
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 08:29   Link #10
Mentar
Banned

Well, there really is no German word "Gespenst Jäger" or "Gespenstjäger". There only is "Gespensterjäger".

Gespenst = Ghost, Haunt
Jäger = Hunter
Gespensterjäger = Ghost Hunter (A person who hunts ghosts)

However, it's obvious that Oland isn't a Ghostbusters reject. Therefore, "Ghostly Hunter" would capture the essence of it best. However, it's still a shaky translation. So we decided to stick with the "Gespenst Jäger" original, with a shiver.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 11:38   Link #11
kingofthemoleppl

Why not just translate it as "exorcist", which would stick most to the original meaning of "Gespenstjäger"?
Before you club me to death: I DO know that it does not really make more sense (but hey, I never said I got the perfect answer ) as there are no ghost / supernatural events in PS, but you'll just have to make do with what those Japanese came up with.

I have some problems with "Gespenstjäger" and "Gespensterjäger":
First of all, neither are actual German words. None of my dictionaries list them.
Secondly, a "Gespenstjäger" would be someone who is a ghost himself and hunts.
Only the plural form would change the meaning to "ghost hunter". At least that is what my intuition tells me.

Mh, could it be that "Gespenst" relates to Oreld fancy blue lamp with the blue light?
The etymologic origion of the word "Gespenst" described something like an unnatural apparition or light which led people astray, just like a will-o'-wisp and they could of actually meant to refer to Oreld who goes mental everytime he turns it on.

Wait, that's even more crazy than anything stated so far and even completly useless for our problem. Just forget about it. Well, now you might as well club me to death. (^_^; )
kingofthemoleppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 12:10   Link #12
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthemoleppl View Post
Why not just translate it as "exorcist", which would stick most to the original meaning of "Gespenstjäger"?
Because Oland is anything else but an Exorcist ... also, it would induce an extra meaning. Exorcists may be Gespensterjäger, but Gespensterjäger aren't necessarily exorcists.

Quote:
Before you club me to death: I DO know that it does not really make more sense (but hey, I never said I got the perfect answer ) as there are no ghost / supernatural events in PS, but you'll just have to make do with what those Japanese came up with.
No, you don't. Since japanese animes love to use German terms without actually having a clue what they mean, 90% of all German is misused in some way. The best thing you can do as a translator is to deduce what exactly they wanted to say (not what they REALLY said - there are wonderful examples for that), and then translate to that. If this isn't possible in a decent way, you should stick with the original term from the original source (manga) and only hint which the German words mean, leaving the rest to the audience.

Quote:
I have some problems with "Gespenstjäger" and "Gespensterjäger":
First of all, neither are actual German words. None of my dictionaries list them.
That's no surprise since most compound terms aren't listed in dictionaries. Otherwise they'd explode in size.

Quote:
Secondly, a "Gespenstjäger" would be someone who is a ghost himself and hunts. Only the plural form would change the meaning to "ghost hunter". At least that is what my intuition tells me.
Your intuition deceives you. There is no _general_ rule in the German language like this. Just like a "Königsweg" is no king, but a way.

Quote:
Mh, could it be that "Gespenst" relates to Oreld fancy blue lamp with the blue light?
You mean Oland, not Oreld. But yes, that's certainly the connection the creators are trying to make.

[rest deleted]

As you can see, there's no Königsweg to deal with it. So when there's no good option, stick with the original. That's usually the least painful approach.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 12:31   Link #13
kingofthemoleppl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Because Oland is anything else but an Exorcist ... also, it would induce an extra meaning. Exorcists may be Gespensterjäger, but Gespensterjäger aren't necessarily exorcists.
Ok, sure. Exorcist has a certain religious background and connotation which Gespensterjäger does not how (it even seems to be a somewhat heathen concept). I overlooked that.

Quote:
No, you don't. Since japanese animes love to use German terms without actually having a clue what they mean, 90% of all German is misused in some way. The best thing you can do as a translator is to deduce what exactly they wanted to say (not what they REALLY said - there are wonderful examples for that), and then translate to that. If this isn't possible in a decent way, you should stick with the original term from the original source (manga) and only hint which the German words mean, leaving the rest to the audience.
Oh, I think that came across the wrong way. Actually, I wasn't critizising in any way and I am of the same opinion as you are. I just meant that they always come up with funny stuff which we then despair of.

Quote:
Your intuition deceives you. There is no _general_ rule in the German language like this. Just like a "Königsweg" is no king, but a way.
"Königsweg" (lit. the king's way; I would translate it as "ideal way" - erm, who am I telling? You seem to be German yourself.) is no king because König is declined to Königs (sing., gen.) and not because of the singular form. Still, your point stands because German uses singular or plural rather arbitrarily in compound terms. Personally, I would still only consider a Gespensterjäger to be someone who hunts ghosts and a Gespenstjäger to be... something else. *poor imagination*

Quote:
As you can see, there's no Königsweg to deal with it. So when there's no good option, stick with the original. That's usually the least painful approach.
Thanks for the hard work so far! Keep it up! p(^_^)q

Last edited by kingofthemoleppl; 2007-01-10 at 12:45.
kingofthemoleppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-23, 23:23   Link #14
TigerII
Pilot in Training

What timeline is this story set in? It seems to be the twenties, but some of the vehicles and weapons are not right.

Now I know this technically is not Germany, but come on, we all know this is about Germany after WWI. Hell, they even got the weapons right. C96 Mausers and Kar 98 rifles.

But the tanks they show are from later 30s, early 40s and the semi auto rifles are M1 Garands. Is this show supposed to be concrete to the post war timeline or is it just a mix of WWI and WWII things?

Also on a side note, in WWII the Wehrmacht actually tested soldier who would fight tanks point blank. Except they used hollow charges instead of kinetic AT rounds. Still this show is really accurate in some aspects. The more you know!
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 20:25   Link #15
scorpio516

The M1 entered service in 1936, but it was designed in 26. If we look at it in the show's context of pre-production contra band weapons that the major powers can't produce yet, that puts it in the mid-20s real life time line. The Soviet semi-auto rifle (SVT-40) was first built in 35.
scorpio516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 15:55   Link #16
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Still way to early. They are saying it is three years after the war. If it is the same timeline as ours, that puts it at 1921. But I am guessing that it is just a mixture of the mid war years. I mean, tanks like those did not show up in mass till the late 20s/early 30s. Although a few tanks did have turrets in WWI, nothing like those. Those look more like the Soviet T-26. Still even though the timeline is a little messed up, they did very well on the operations of the weapons. I was pleasantly suprised they they actually loaded the M1 like you were supposed to.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 18:59   Link #17
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Anime episodes question.

What exactly is written in those documents that the mob riot wanted to propagate outside the Empire's border?

You know to which papers I am referring. The documents for which Section I Conelly is willing to authorize shooting down those civilians in order to keep the truth silent.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 23:04   Link #18
CrisisDarkerXIV

I just wanted to ask about episode 7.

Those semi-automatic weapon used by the feudal lord looks like the M1 Garand... is it? Or is it just a copy?
CrisisDarkerXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 21:52   Link #19
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Is there going to be season 2?
Old 2008-10-30, 11:30   Link #20
mashimaro_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iXenomorph View Post
Is there going to be season 2?
Someone answer this please? I wanna know also.

Thanks
mashimaro_boy is offline   Reply With Quote