Notices

Old 2017-01-28, 02:08   Link #281
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, I'm stopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
And yes, the comment about not being able to read is directed at you because I was extremely specific on background vocals and nowhere did you address the difference; you rambled on about a whole other topic.
And I'm certainly done with you, after that little confirmation.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 10:49   Link #282
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Yeah, I'm stopping.

And I'm certainly done with you, after that little confirmation.
Dude, she also called me old, bro. I am offended.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 16:10   Link #283
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Dude, she also called me old, bro. I am offended.
Well, I'm sure to her, we're sort of Jurassic, aren't we?

Old 2017-01-31, 03:48   Link #284
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Oh man, this thread has a lot more posts than I expected it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
This. This forever.
That being said I feel May'N singing with any hot blooded singer always ends up as a belting match. Same happened with her and Nana Mizuki. It's not BAD but Holy Lonely Night was nice cus it had really different voices working together.

....Still want it though.
I didn't mind the Diamond Crevasse duet I heard with her and Mizuki, nor did I mind a certain Masami Okui song that May'n features in as a duet... I'd also like to say that since Yoshiki Fukuyama is a guy their voices would be different enough that it would be just fine, but... his voice is also pretty high pitched. Even if it were to turn out bad, though, it's just like you said. I still want it. Some things just need to happen, because it is right for them to happen. This is one of those things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Endlessabyss: that's because 3 of the five members are VA's and two of them also have to sing in character. Makina in particular sound so bad. And as for Mino and Junna, Minori still kinda has to do the cutesy voice thing and Junna is very young and still needs more training. Pretty sure they can make it, the others are gonna go back to voice acting.
Nah. Technically four of five members are VAs and three of five are singers (thank you for singling out Makina's singing, too, I'd always felt that she was cringe-worthy in any song where she wasn't just doing background duty but that seemed mean since I knew she was indeed not a singer and had the hardest task in terms of singing in character). Some are just more or less experienced than others. Nobody can say what Minori will go on to do from here so for now I'll consider her both an acress and a singer, but I'm sure that Kiyono Yasuno (Kaname) is going to keep doing both things and keep being amazing at it.

... she'd probably do a better Diamond Crevasse, too. Not that JUNNA's was bad, but like I thought she couldn't really pull off the softer parts very well. At least we got Kaname's solo Giraffe Blues finally. I don't even like the song, but Kaname's singing makes it worthwhile. I just love how her voice can sound so beautiful and full of emotion, and even sound kinda rough and powerful despite it's inherent sweetness when she wants to as well (her part in Hametsu no Junjou at around 1:48, phew) without seeming to try too hard as JUNNA sometimes does. And again, I love JUNNA's voice, so I don't say that with any mean-spiritedness at all. I'm excited for her to get even more skilled at singing, because I see so much potential there.

(Why, why, why did we need to waste two trackslots with boring versions of Bokura no Senjou? Like I said before, that song was already practically just the Freyja And Mikumo Show. They didn't need solo versions for them. Walküre ga Tomaranai is a pretty cool song, at least.)

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.

Last edited by -Antares-; 2017-01-31 at 04:13.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-31, 11:46   Link #285
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

@Antares: I did love Miracle Upper WL! I went back to listen to the live NanaxMay'N Diamond Crevasse and I still hold my previous sentiments towards it.

I don't consider it poor. It's good enough that I'm glad it happened, but it wasn't as mind blowing to me as I'd expect a sing off between Nana and May'N would be. I think the first time May'N showed up with Yoshiki to sing Planet Dance blew my mind more- but even then it's not the kind of video I watch over and over again. It's definitely subjective, but while I consider May'N to be a better LIVE singer than a recording artist, I find it's always really up in the air as to whether or not her singing plays well with others.

I mean the best comparison I can make is probably the LIVE where Nakajima was introduced to sing with Yoshiki for Planet Dance. Sure Chie Kajiura was also in it this time, but I really don't think she was necessary in that scenario as Nakajima balanced out Yoshiki pretty well. I mean it sounded really good? On any other given day I'd take May'N over Nakajima hands down, but that...that I had to concede.

Still want that Holy Lonely Night though.
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 11:41   Link #286
Tak

Instead of doing renditions of Do You Remember Love, or that Greenie's galaxy hug song, or attempt the impossible (and failing) with Diamond Crevasse, why don't they ever consider renditions of Voices from Macross PLUS?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2017-02-06, 12:17   Link #287
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Instead of doing renditions of Do You Remember Love, or that Greenie's galaxy hug song, or attempt the impossible (and failing) with Diamond Crevasse, why don't they ever consider renditions of Voices from Macross PLUS?
IMHO, that would lead to abject failure, as well.

Old 2017-02-06, 12:58   Link #288
Tak

Quote:
IMHO, that would lead to abject failure, as well.
Oh puh, they've already done DC, what more can we lose?

- Tak

Old 2017-02-06, 13:26   Link #289
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Oh puh, they've already done DC, what more can we lose?
Crucify me in the galactic fairy's glorious altar or the like, but I actually kinda like Voices a bit more...?

Old 2017-02-06, 13:52   Link #290
Tak

Quote:
Crucify me in the galactic fairy's glorious altar or the like, but I actually kinda like Voices a bit more...?
Oh, no you didn't!!!

YF! Bring yet guns, spread the word, wee are goin huntin'!!

ITS OPEN SEASON!!!

- Tak

Old 2017-02-06, 14:02   Link #291
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Hm....No I agree with Beto. If you remove the character motivation I do like Voices more than diamond crevasse. It's really understated but pretty. I can't imagine it sounding any other way too...
Old 2017-02-06, 14:14   Link #292
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Hm....No I agree with Beto. If you remove the character motivation I do like Voices more than diamond crevasse. It's really understated but pretty. I can't imagine it sounding any other way too...
*sniff* Et tu, ippus?

- Tak

Old 2017-02-06, 14:29   Link #293
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

In character, you're right, Diamond Crevasse is the more impressive and emotional effort, I agree. But, taken all by itself? Voices is a better sounding and more atemporal piece of music, IMHO.

And that's enough about stuffy Beto for one day.

Old 2017-02-06, 14:32   Link #294
Tak

Thats it, -I- shall perform a rendition of Voices, myself!!

- Tak

Old 2017-02-07, 06:21   Link #295
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, God, what have we done?

Old 2017-02-07, 10:55   Link #296
Tak

Quote:
Oh, God, what have we done?
Or do you rather I do Idol-Talk? Because I can butcher the French language quite well!!

MuWahahahaha!!

- Tak

Old 2017-02-07, 11:44   Link #297
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

-squee-~
Old 2017-02-07, 14:46   Link #298
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It gets worse by the minute, doesn't it?

Old 2017-02-07, 14:56   Link #299
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Idk. I was never a fan of Voices so I'll just leave you guys to discuss. But.
A lot of Plus including Voices seemed pretentious to me. Not just when it came out but to this day. The song did grow on me but a lot off Plus feels like the staff signaling how artsy they are.
Frontier might be more cartoony, but it's also more sincere. They never tried to be anything more than what they were, and it worked.
... So as someone who has shit taste in music I'm with Tak.
And at this point I deeply dislike anything Delta enough that the less covers of better shows they make, the better.

Edit: I was introduced to Plus in my teens and people hyped it up. I do love a lot of things about it, but overall I felt it was overhyped. I'd like to add my favourite song is After in the Dark.
@-Antares- I know I'm in the minority but I think Kaname's VA and her singing is completely forgettable. Granted I am no expert in music, but as a laymen I would not be able to tell her songs apart from other very basic generic Jpop/VAs who sing on the side.

Right now I'm...not in love with Minori, but I recognize her talent and in a few years, maybe. Junna I believe in, as long as she gets the needed sponsors. The other 3 go from meh to god no.

Sorry, this really is just how I feel, I don't get the hype for Kaname (or Messer) or her VA.

(Sorry I double posted <<;;;;; )

Last edited by Matts; 2017-02-07 at 21:42.
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 20:33   Link #300
Tak

And don't underestimate the power of Diamond Crevasse. When I was at May'n's personal concert a few years ago, people broke into tears when the first word of DC broke out of her mouth!

Yeah, pretty emotional stuff.

- Tak