AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 16:24   Link #1601
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well ... Teru is scary as ever. Man. Ruthless....

While the series is an excellent adaptation of the manga series thus far, I really am beginning to question what the point of it is in an over-arching level. We have not even left the senpo round of the side A semifinals here and there are only 2 eps left?
Old 2012-06-25, 16:34   Link #1602
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
We have not even left the senpo round of the side A semifinals here and there are only 2 eps left?
No, 4 left. Eps 12 plus 3 extra.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 16:38   Link #1603
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
She did... Remember last episode?(She kan'd and riichi'd directly.)

But playing passive actually helps her alot, plus taking note of her skill, if the hunch is right, Teru actually get pressured on(Due to Damage Enhancer EX)... She may be a final boss with no weakpoints, but if someone can find a weakspot, then she is just as good as being a normal boss.
Oh right she did double riichi and then did the kan riichi, but it seems like she won't call riichi to increase her hand value normally.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 16:47   Link #1604
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
We have not even left the senpo round of the side A semifinals here and there are only 2 eps left?
Whatever challenge the rest of Shiraitodai provides, they don't hold quite as much narrative tension as Teru. (I'd guess.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:53   Link #1605
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Well ... Teru is scary as ever. Man. Ruthless....

While the series is an excellent adaptation of the manga series thus far, I really am beginning to question what the point of it is in an over-arching level. We have not even left the senpo round of the side A semifinals here and there are only 2 eps left?
I don't want to take too much away from this show's main protagonists, but I think it's pretty clear that the narrative we've seen in this show is meant to compliment rather than supplant or be distinct from the original Saki narrative.

As such, the main roles of the Achiga girls are to further flesh out the Sakiverse, and to provide a different and more complete perspective on all of the major players within it (especially Teru).

I've often compared Saki to pro wrestling, but even I'm surprised at how far this series goes with that pro wrestling way of doing things.

Teru is the "Monster Heel", and somebody needs to be sacrificed to her in order to "put her over". What I put in quotation marks are common pro wrestling terms, and they refer to the process by which your top "bad guy" (i.e. heel) is built up to be as impressive and threatening as possible in the eyes of the audience. To accomplish this, it helps if they get to dominate against, and defeat, an important secondary "good guy". Not the main "good guy", but nonetheless a popular and established "good guy" that the fans like.

That's the role that's been given to Team Achiga, and to Kuro in particular. It's also a role given to Toki and Miss Marvelous (heck, Miss Marvelous' whole reason for being on her Nationals team hints at this in a meta-way ).

A lot of this goes back to the old narrative convention of "show, don't tell". It's more effective to actually watch Teru totally dominate people then simply being told about how she typically does so. It's more effective still when the audience cares (at least a little bit) about the characters that Teru is dominating.

Edit: Oh, and awesome photoshop work, Kogetsu. Really great to see Saki and Fate/Zero combined like that, lol.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:54   Link #1606
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Given this situation:

What will happen here?
I vote for a delicious orgy .

Anyway, its always nice to see cameos of Kiyosumi and Kazekoshi. That particular scene is really informative... so informative to the point of spoiling. They outright implied the result of Kiyosumi's match - a match which is not even finished in the manga.

Beside that, it kinda confirmed that Saki, Nodoka and Yuuki's destination is really the semi-final match venue perhaps Nodoka and Yuuki already knows about about Achiga?

There is one thing that confuses me about that scene though, does Saki's teammates even know the Saki-Teru connection or Nodoka is the only one who knows? There were no hints about it when they were talking and they were viewing the match as a distant observer would...

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-06-25 at 22:30. Reason: spoilers
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 20:52   Link #1607
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
There is one thing that confuses me about that scene though, does Saki's teammates even know the Saki-Teru connection or Nodoka is the only one who knows? There were no hints about it when they were talking and they were viewing the match as a distant observer would...
Rewatch Episode 25 of the original series.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:00   Link #1608
metronome
Mad Loli

Now I need to go and find that animated avatars of Miyanaga Teru! LOL~~
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:03   Link #1609
Triple_R
*Author

[mod edit: removed the quoted post that contained spoilers, which the post below is not dependant upon]

You know, I could see this plot point being a real issue for the overall narrative.

Let's face it, Saki Episode 25 has quite a lot of important plot points to it, and also includes a scene widely beloved by Saki/Nodoka shippers.

I really don't think many Saki anime fans would appreciate having Saki Episode 25 retconned away. And yet, if the manga never acknowledges what happened in Saki Episode 25... and if there's a later revelation from Saki (to her teammates) about Teru...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-06-25 at 22:13.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:30   Link #1610
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Reminder that, even though we've reached a point where the current show has exceeded what was shown in its manga, there are still things that non-manga readers don't know yet because of the main manga story. Please don't muddy the water by posting unnecessary things in this thread; manga-related speculation and discussion must go to the manga thread. I removed a few posts.
Old 2012-06-25, 23:48   Link #1611
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi
Rewatch Episode 25 of the original series.
Rewatching the original series again . Hmmm... This would be my sixth watch of this particular episode since Achiga aired. If one of Achiga's goal is to make me rewatch the original series for anything I missed or make me pumped up for season 2 its doing a very good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
I really don't think many Saki anime fans would appreciate having Saki Episode 25 retconned away. And yet, if the manga never acknowledges what happened in Saki Episode 25... and if there's a later revelation from Saki (to her teammates) about Teru...
As Triple_R said, there are a lot of hanging plot hooks on this particular episode and I hope that nothing would be retconned.

But, if we proceed on the assumption that everything shown in the anime is canon after rewatching ep. 25 then I can think of two possibilities why no one is commenting about the subject.

One is If they believed Teru's words that she has no sister. This neatly explains everything and technically Saki never said that she was Teru's sister nor contradicted Teru's statement. Of course, the problem with this assumption would be that everyone in the hot spring has to be extra dense to miss Saki's obvious reaction to the news. This meant Hisa, Mihoko, Kana, Yumi, Momo, Touka and Hajime probably the most perceptive people of our cast failed their perception check. So yeah, I think this scenario is plausible but very unlikely.

The second assumption proceeds on the basis that the people on the hot spring noticed Saki's reaction. This meant that everyone who was on the hot spring would already know that Saki is Teru's sister. Since, Mihoko also brought up that Teru denies any connection to Saki then everyone in the hotspring should also know that the Miyanaga siblings' relationship is not all sunshine and rainbows at the moment. Thus, perhaps since its clearly a painful and private topic for Saki, Hisa and co. being the good persons that they are avoid talking about it?
Old 2012-06-25, 23:59   Link #1612
Sumeragi
Banned

I think it's very, very simple: There is no reason to deliberately bring up that topic. Right now whether or not Teru is Saki's onee-chan, Kiyosumi is facing Shiraitodai, not only Teru. Therefore, they need to be looking at the situation objectively rather than linger on sentimental things such as "Teru is Saki's onee-chan".
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 02:44   Link #1613
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi
I think it's very, very simple: There is no reason to deliberately bring up that topic. Right now whether or not Teru is Saki's onee-chan, Kiyosumi is facing Shiraitodai, not only Teru. Therefore, they need to be looking at the situation objectively rather than linger on sentimental things such as "Teru is Saki's onee-chan".
I suppose the answer could be that simple. Its just the Miyanaga siblings drives me crazy with all the things that are unrevealed about them that sometimes I want to scream at my laptop to tell us what is going on already. The latest episode didn't help either.

Btw, regarding Kiyosumi's strategy on how to defeat Shiraitodai esp. Teru. Barring any lineup change, Yuuki would be the one facing Teru if Kiyosumi makes it to the finals. Not to diss Yuuki but I have a very bad premonition about the idea of her facing Teru.

If I remember correctly Yuuki gets a boost from eating tacos and while the match is on the East round. She also have a higher chance of being the first dealer.

I think custardpie posted this already but in this match Teru wasted a dealers' turn because she was first dealer and she never wins the first hand of the match since she is using her "mirror" ability.

Now, Yuuki is almost always guaranteed to be the first dealer which is normally a good thing but against Teru this just means that Teru has 4 dealer streaks that needs to be stopped instead of 3 dealer streaks in the semi-final match. Beside this if a player like Yuuki has a higher chance to get the East position, the rest of the players also have a higher chance to get the other wind positions meaning Teru has a higher chance of getting the North position/last dealer which our announcer helpfully pointed out has the best synergy with Teru's ability.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:47   Link #1614
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
I suppose the answer could be that simple. Its just the Miyanaga siblings drives me crazy with all the things that are unrevealed about them that sometimes I want to scream at my laptop to tell us what is going on already. The latest episode didn't help either.
Hey now. That stuff needs to remain hidden until the appropriate point of the story comes along.

And then. We'll get a grand dose of OMFGWTF! Things like this make stories so compelling.
Old 2012-06-26, 06:54   Link #1615
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

So on a different note from the match.

Ako and Shizu's character songs came out, and Ako's "Live-A-Life" is great and slightly energetic , while Shizu's "YES!! Ready to Play" feels very fitting being energetic and a just bit silly I like it . And the shared song contains a lot of mahjong based lyrics, but it's pretty adorable I look forward to Kuro and Yuu's version . I also like how each of the song used minors parts of SquarePanicSerenade in them at times .

P.S. I kinda of hope Toki and Ryuuka get some love in terms of character songs .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 07:44   Link #1616
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post

Ako and Shizu's character songs came out, and Ako's "Live-A-Life" is great and slightly energetic , while Shizu's "YES!! Ready to Play" feels very fitting being energetic and a just bit silly I like it . And the shared song contains a lot of mahjong based lyrics, but it's pretty adorable I look forward to Kuro and Yuu's version . I also like how each of the song used minors parts of SquarePanicSerenade in them at times .

P.S. I kinda of hope Toki and Ryuuka get some love in terms of character songs .
Character songs ehh... How about the same VA, diff person view? Still, Ryuuka is the one who take care of Toki in another world though.(3rd one of the 3..., got solo for each too...)

Me: 2 5 8 sou... What I do?
Ako: Sing my song then...
Me: Alright! *After some rounds* I WIN!
Old 2012-06-26, 20:05   Link #1617
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post

Actually, ED2 (Futuristic Player) is their character song. Just look at the meaning of a lyric.

There is a blog that analyze ED2 but I can't find the link for you right now.
Old 2012-06-26, 22:02   Link #1618
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

When did this become just about Toki poor Kuro is just hiding the whole episode
Old 2012-06-26, 22:15   Link #1619
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
When did this become just about Toki poor Kuro is just hiding the whole episode
Well. Through Prefecturals and the Nationals first round games. We've seen enough of Kuro's dora magnet power. Had it been effective in the Quarterfinal and Semi-finals -- we'd be seeing the same old stuff.

So, gotta feature someone else; and Toki's condition and how it affects her game -- it creates one hell of a story at this point.
Old 2012-06-27, 00:29   Link #1620
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well. Through Prefecturals and the Nationals first round games. We've seen enough of Kuro's dora magnet power. Had it been effective in the Quarterfinal and Semi-finals -- we'd be seeing the same old stuff.
Well, to be fair, Toki's power is "the same old stuff" too. We saw that in the Quarterfinals.

And I can see where Master_Yoma is coming from. It is pretty odd for the representative of the show's main protagonists to be the least important person in the match.

It really goes against the grain. So I hope that Kuro does something - actively does something (not just passively hoarding dora) - before this match is over. It doesn't have to be winning a hand. Just her regaining her composure, trying something, and gaining some actual narrative focus.

Right now, she's basically a passenger in this match.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri