AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-18, 17:38   Link #201
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kitarou generally thinks yokai and humans should remain apart. I guess he changed his mind in this case?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 20:45   Link #202
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Kitarou generally thinks yokai and humans should remain apart. I guess he changed his mind in this case?
I do wonder, because by the looks of it the bride will now be a part of the world of yokai to never return, she has no friends or relatives that will miss her but the dad that literally sold her for cold cash.

I do not get the vibe Mana is ok with leaving the human world like the girl from this episode. Also, this escalated exponentially, she became a wife in one night, there was no dating whatsoever so maybe that it why kitaro did not felt akward, mana no doubt would like to date kitaro if given the chance.

Also, I dunno if this was on this episode but certain life sucking yokai is not part of the op, he is in the second plane of the shrine right before Nezumi otoko sings the part of "yokai do not get sick or die".
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 23:19   Link #203
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not sure I would say Kitarou changed his mind in this case, so much as he adhered to a personal principle. Hakusanbo had a contract - why should it be void just because he's a youkai? Kitarou has chosen a precarious place between the two worlds - it only works if he believes both are entitled to the same rights and governed by the same ethical standards.

I think Kitarou would probably still say, generally, that youkai and humans should not mix (or marry). But the specifics of the case are what they are. And frankly, based on the fact that he effectively traded his daughter for career success can it really be argued that Kitarou would be thinking of Yayoi's benefit by fighting to keep her with her father? The key line of dialogue was when Kitarou said "I'm not anyone's ally". He doesn't choose sides - he just tries to foster peace and help those who need it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-19, 10:17   Link #204
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'd like to just pipe in and say I am surprised Kitarou is still voiced by Miyuki. I wonder how many episodes this will last.
I know that Professor Oak has already changed in his anime, though that is for a much grimmer reason.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-19, 11:01   Link #205
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'd like to just pipe in and say I am surprised Kitarou is still voiced by Miyuki. I wonder how many episodes this will last.
I know that Professor Oak has already changed in his anime, though that is for a much grimmer reason.
Well, you can still hear Ishizuka Unshou in Banana Fish.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-19, 11:59   Link #206
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'd like to just pipe in and say I am surprised Kitarou is still voiced by Miyuki.
To me it sounds like a different actor, one with a more male-sounding voice. I can't read Japanese so I don't know what the credits say.

ANN still only lists Sawashiro in the role, so maybe I'm losing my hearing as I age.
Old 2018-11-19, 16:52   Link #207
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's definitely still Miyuki.
Old 2018-11-24, 23:05   Link #208
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I want it to be next week now.
Old 2018-11-25, 02:43   Link #209
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Since she has so little youkai features, it always feels strange when they treat the witches as youkais.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-25, 12:06   Link #210
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The really sad part for me is that clearly, in its dealings with matters such as WW II, workplace bullying and free thought in schools, this incarnation of Gegege no Kitarou has shown itself to be quite forward-thinking in most respects. It's certainly not the mindset of a nationalist lite novel. But when it comes to foreigners, even "liberal" Japanese fall into the same trap. If it's not abject racism (that's the bailiwick of the nationalists, and anime has that covered amply) it's the kind of condescending paternalism we saw in this episode. I don't think I need to explain what I mean - I believe it's pretty clear in the way events played out - but it's depressing as hell.
The scene between Agnes and Kitarou at the end of this week's episode seems to be a criticism of Japanese ethnocentrism. Despite it all, Kitarou wants to be her friend just ... because. In fact, the whole episode can be seen as touching on this issue. In the end, none of the Japanese yokai really want to drive her away either.

My favorite series on this subject is Demi-chan wa Kataritai, where the monster girls represent the "other." That show promotes diversity and inclusion throughout.
Old 2018-11-25, 16:27   Link #211
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
The scene between Agnes and Kitarou at the end of this week's episode seems to be a criticism of Japanese ethnocentrism. Despite it all, Kitarou wants to be her friend just ... because. In fact, the whole episode can be seen as touching on this issue. In the end, none of the Japanese yokai really want to drive her away either.
Yes, I noted that in my writeup this week. This seems to be progress, at least.

Anti-foreigner rallies like that are a staple of Japanese train stations, especially ones where there are a lot of tourists and expats.
Old 2018-11-26, 00:56   Link #212
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anti-foreigner rallies like that are a staple of Japanese train stations, especially ones where there are a lot of tourists and expats.
First time I've heard of that. Are we talking a dozen people or larger groups like fifty or more?
Old 2018-11-26, 03:56   Link #213
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
First time I've heard of that. Are we talking a dozen people or larger groups like fifty or more?
My experience is usually a few old nationalist politicians with bullhorns and a bunch of people handing out flyers and harassing passers-by. Nara Station seems to be a particular favorite but I see them at many stations, usually places where there are a lot of foreigners.
Old 2018-12-02, 05:47   Link #214
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No episode this week, apparently - which really sucks since that preview was such a damn tease.
Old 2018-12-02, 09:59   Link #215
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I want it to be next week now.
Well, now it is next week, and je suis desolé.
Old 2018-12-09, 07:04   Link #216
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In a medium that makes a mockery of it by crassly portraying the innocence and cuteness of young girls for the purposes of selling discs, Gegege no Kitarou has totally hit the target with Mana. She's so incredibly real in the way most of these characters are false.
Old 2018-12-11, 13:55   Link #217
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yes, I've enjoyed watching Mana befriend Agnes. Their conversation at the water's edge in this last episode was delightful. Mana's warmth let Agnes feel safe enough to break down, yet Mana doesn't come off as treacly sweet either. She's a bit too enthusiastic for her own good, but as the audience's stand-in character, she needs to involve herself in nearly every adventure.

I liked the sequence where Agnes and Adele talked about their past through jump cuts, as if they were talking to each other though miles apart.

My one quibble with this week's episode is why Agnes didn't fly directly back to Kitarou's house from the waterside on her broom. Instead she leaves the broom at the pond and walks through a gauntlet in the GeGeGe Forest. True, that scene is one of the episode's dramatic high points, and I've thought a bit since about why she didn't fly. I doubt it was a "mistake" on the part of the writers; they're too good for that. Perhaps we're to see Agnes's decision to walk as an expression of her will power and determination?
Old 2018-12-16, 14:17   Link #218
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Wow, this is getting really heavy! Will Agnes somehow break free of the spell? Who, if anyone, might come to her rescue? Will all the humans turn back if Backbeard is defeated?
Old 2018-12-16, 16:50   Link #219
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nanashi is, to me, way way scarier and more interesting than Backbeard. What a performance by Ginga-san.
Old 2018-12-17, 14:15   Link #220
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I often think back to Anton's comment when I hear Ginga perform as Nanashi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
You know, if I were a young voice actor and heard Banjo Ginga doing that chanting next to me, I probably wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.

Tags
old anime, remake