AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-23, 18:52   Link #61
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Yeah I was thinking of the tv release date my bad lol. Also I didn't see you write the month AFTER the date, usually we right it before the date.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:29   Link #62
SurferX

Was anyone else surprised by GITS: SAC?

I admit that I really, REALLY did not like the Ghost in the Shell movie. I thought it was incredibly boring and had too much filler (i.e. useless 10 minute shot of the city, with that god-awful music playing in the background). While I liked the overall theme of the movie and the message it was trying to give, I feel it was just executed very poorly.

I got to see a few episodes of Stand Alone Complex (as well as playing the game) from Bandai at E3, and I was just totally blown away by how awesome it was. The whole theme/message in the GITS movie seemed to be delivered 100 times better in the TV episodes I saw. The realistically imaginable theme about the whole integration of cybernetics into everyday society and the problems it can cause (and how Section 9 gets to deal with it) I felt was executed really nicely.

I don't know if anyone has seen fansubs of this series and may think the same or different but I was very surprised at how much I liked what I saw of this series after being completely turned off to everything GITS by the movie. Now I want more GITS. Did anyone else feel the same way? Did anyone feel the opposite, being that the movie is very strikingly different from the TV series?
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:39   Link #63
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferX
I admit that I really, REALLY did not like the Ghost in the Shell movie. I thought it was incredibly boring and had too much filler (i.e. useless 10 minute shot of the city, with that god-awful music playing in the background). While I liked the overall theme of the movie and the message it was trying to give, I feel it was just executed very poorly.

I got to see a few episodes of Stand Alone Complex (as well as playing the game) from Bandai at E3, and I was just totally blown away by how awesome it was. The whole theme/message in the GITS movie seemed to be delivered 100 times better in the TV episodes I saw. The realistically imaginable theme about the whole integration of cybernetics into everyday society and the problems it can cause (and how Section 9 gets to deal with it) I felt was executed really nicely.

I don't know if anyone has seen fansubs of this series and may think the same or different but I was very surprised at how much I liked what I saw of this series after being completely turned off to everything GITS by the movie. Now I want more GITS. Did anyone else feel the same way? Did anyone feel the opposite, being that the movie is very strikingly different from the TV series?
Yes, the movie and the TV series are different, but a lot of that is because the TV series has a lot more time to develop the GITS world. Both of them aren't very much like the manga either IMO.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 20:34   Link #64
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferX
While I liked the overall theme of the movie and the message it was trying to give, I feel it was just executed very poorly.
I thought the same, too. SAC did a much better job. However, the manga is far superior to both of them. I wonder how 2nd Gig is. Anyone watching that?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 21:12   Link #65
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

weird, I though the movie was great, the series is so & so too much talking although it's very well done and logical. Are you sure you read the manga? goes way overboard, the tv series was better.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 21:17   Link #66
TronDD
Team the box!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read it.

I like the talking.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:12   Link #67
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I love both the movie and the TV series, they are different. the manga is different from both of them and is great too. I think each version has their own strength. basically I think the movie is more of an art presentation, the SAC touches on more variety of issues and philosophy questions and a more human Motoko, while 2nd GiG focuses more on political struggles and Motoko showing even more emotional development.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 20:59   Link #68
Diedrupo

on comparing the manga and tv series, anyone noticed that Paz almost never appears in the manga? In fact most people will probably miss him.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 21:39   Link #69
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I love both the movie and the TV series, they are different. the manga is different from both of them and is great too. I think each version has their own strength. basically I think the movie is more of an art presentation, the SAC touches on more variety of issues and philosophy questions and a more human Motoko, while 2nd GiG focuses more on political struggles and Motoko showing even more emotional development.
Ehh, I wouldn't really say that about 2nd season. There hasn't really been anything like that except episode 11, maybe.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 21:48   Link #70
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Ehh, I wouldn't really say that about 2nd season. There hasn't really been anything like that except episode 11, maybe.
err... saying "what" about 2nd season? focusing more on political struggle? motoko showing more emotion?

BTW, I absolutely LOVE that 10 minute "city with rain" scene in GitS the movie, I think that's one of the most awe-inspiring and beautiful scene in all anime history. personal tastes I guess
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 00:05   Link #71
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
err... saying "what" about 2nd season? focusing more on political struggle? motoko showing more emotion?

BTW, I absolutely LOVE that 10 minute "city with rain" scene in GitS the movie, I think that's one of the most awe-inspiring and beautiful scene in all anime history. personal tastes I guess
Motoko showing more emotion. I wouldnt say anything has really yet tested her about herself and effected her ghost as much as last seasons episodes. Except episode 11, but even then that doesn't even match first seasons episode 08.
Old 2004-06-14, 11:38   Link #72
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
weird, I though the movie was great, the series is so & so too much talking although it's very well done and logical. Are you sure you read the manga? goes way overboard, the tv series was better.
LOL! If you feel that the manga went overboard, then it's obvious that you'll like the conventions of the TV series over it.

People who like Shirow's manga realize (and enjoy the fact) that there's going to be a lot of exposition, and that the story won't have an even flow. I personally don't try to put Shirow's work in the frame of normal convention, but rather enjoy them as they are -- a collection of action, character development, technology (with extensive notes and research), and personal philosophy. Even though Shirow himself discounts his manner of "storytelling", there is something very unique about the way he does things that I really enjoy.

When I first saw the film, I was disappointed. I expected what was a rather short film to be (longer and) a more well rounded representation of the manga. So much had been stripped from GITS by the film (humor, tech, fuchikomas, characters, events) that what was left was a one dimensional picture of a much larger world. I love Oshii's work, and learned to like the film, but since I knew the world before I saw the film, I couldn't forget what was missing.

The TV series plays out the way the manga probably would have been if it had been done by another author and had been longer. It's a much fuller picture of the GITS world, but at the same time, the mostly episodic nature of the series forces the relationships of the characters to be simplified a bit.

I guess that how you feel about Shirow based anime depends entirely on how attached you are to Shirow's original work.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 00:20   Link #73
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It's a great series for futurist. I know a few folks that don't like anime but love this show.

And yeah it's been subbed though i wont say by who but you can find it out easy with just a little googling.
Old 2004-06-23, 21:13   Link #74
jow_chan

GITS 2nd GiG

I've been watching GiTS 2nd gig for a while and it's been real fun. I've just noticed a few things since seeing the last episode. There are a lot of parallels in the story to our world today. For instance:

The refugee problem is heading in a direction where the refugees will be placed in an autonomous state within the state of Japan. I actually dunno what this really means, but it sounds like Israel to me.

Terrorism seems to be some pillar of this anime as well. Much like Israel, terrorism strikes unpredictably and within populated, usually safe, and sometimes well respected areas of commerce and business.

Also, as one of the suicide bombers tried to attack a subway station, Bautou made a statement that's interesting. He said something to the tune of, "The refugees have made there declaration of war [on japan or society]" This of course is similar to 9/11 and such.

Though is poses a good foundation for an anime, it's surreal to see it like so. Something to the tune of, such situations of our future, made possible because of 9/11, will be a matter of fact and common. Dunno. just want to put it out and talk bout it.
jow_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 21:22   Link #75
wnkryo
HainShodan

Uh, not another 9/11 war on terror crap thread. We already have enough of those
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 03:22   Link #76
kujoe
from head to heel

The refugee problem in GITS 2nd Gig could be more perhaps compared to what's happening in Asia right now than what's happening in the middle east. It's closer to home in that sense. But let's not get into that.

Anyway, have you been looking into some recent tech news lately?

I read an article a few days ago that talked about the idea of surfing the net through your brain. Now, that definitely reminded me of GITS. Instead of mentioning cyberbrains, neurons (or something...) are to be used, but the main gist of the concept was practically similar to that of the one in GITS. It seems to be just a possibility however, and I'm not sure if there's actual development going on. Quite interesting actually.

On another note, I've heard of this person who surgically placed a microchip in his arm so that a computer would recognize and track his presence around his house. Some recent developments in amputation seem to be heading somewhere too. And the Japanese in particular are still very much into expanding the field of robotics.

Regarding the series--it just might be me, but with regard to artwork, I seem to like the first series more than the second. But the soundtrack of the second series is just plain awesome--even better than the first.

Last edited by kujoe; 2004-06-24 at 03:42.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 19:20   Link #77
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
On another note, I've heard of this person who surgically placed a microchip in his arm so that a computer would recognize and track his presence around his house. Some recent developments in amputation seem to be heading somewhere too. And the Japanese in particular are still very much into expanding the field of robotics.
Yep this was done by a British professor, technically the world's first "Cyborg"

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science.../human.cyborg/

Also interestingly there's a very rudimentary version of Optical Camoflage up and running, which is neither practical nor convincing at the moment (But give it time )

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...DIA/xv/oc.html
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 19:46   Link #78
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Also interestingly there's a very rudimentary version of Optical Camoflage up and running, which is neither practical nor convincing at the moment (But give it time )

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...DIA/xv/oc.html
The last video looks pretty good. They need to correct for shadows in the cloak. It needs to be contained within the cloak, too. You're not very camoflaged with a camera and projector set up following you around and you'd only be camoflaged from that one angle.
Old 2004-06-25, 02:56   Link #79
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Nope June 26th is the release date ive got on my calender for Region2 GITS:SAC Season 1. I dont see why it should be any longer - pre-order from somewhere like play (if they have it) and youll get it on time (usually).
Cartoon network have it, but only for the evening adult slot in the US. Bandai have done the dubbing and considering how much effort theyve put into getting the lisences and threatening to sue fansubbers for both series ive high hopes for the quality of the end product DVDs.
lol, I was right the first time. Anyways it is July 27th. Anyone who didn't know heres all the info.

4 eps per disc plus tachikoma specials:
Volume 1 - 07.27.04
Volume 2 - 09.28.04
Volume 3 - 11.23.04
Volume 4 - 01.25.05
Volume 5 - 03.22.05
Volume 6 - 05.24.05
Volume 7 - 07.26.05

Also it will be premering on Adult Swim november 13th at 12:30am followed by FMA at 1am.

For the best dvd deal for R1s is at deep discount dvd, selling standard dvd for like 14 bucks.

Ohh and the dubs suck, already watched the previews and they changed up the script on some parts.
Old 2004-06-25, 15:14   Link #80
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
lol, I was right the first time. Anyways it is July 27th. Anyone who didn't know heres all the info.

4 eps per disc plus tachikoma specials:
Volume 1 - 07.27.04
Volume 2 - 09.28.04
Volume 3 - 11.23.04
Volume 4 - 01.25.05
Volume 5 - 03.22.05
Volume 6 - 05.24.05
Volume 7 - 07.26.05

Also it will be premering on Adult Swim november 13th at 12:30am followed by FMA at 1am.

For the best dvd deal for R1s is at deep discount dvd, selling standard dvd for like 14 bucks.

Ohh and the dubs suck, already watched the previews and they changed up the script on some parts.
So two of those R1 volumes are only going to have 3 episodes on them since 4x7=28 and there are only 26 episodes in SAC season 1.

Unless you know Japanese, I'm going to assume you're just guessing that the script has been "changed up". There is no official script to note diviations from at this point (and I'm certainly not going to judge the dub against the fansubs).
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote