AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Old 2011-05-24, 09:27   Link #2201
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I actually haven't started this anime, but I'm wondering what's the charm of this series? And what type of anime fans does this attract? I'm intrigued because the level of discussion regarding this anime on AS is ridiculously high.

I'll be honest, the fact that KugRie is voicing a loli tsundere was an immediate turnoff and is the main reason why I haven't tried this, but I'm willing to change my mind if it's more than that.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 11:55   Link #2202
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
I actually haven't started this anime, but I'm wondering what's the charm of this series? And what type of anime fans does this attract? I'm intrigued because the level of discussion regarding this anime on AS is ridiculously high.
Um...well....
Do you like cute girls with guns and swords?
Male protagonists with attitude who can kick ass?
Ridiculous yet entertaining action movies that defy all laws of physics?
A love-comedy that is not harem but an actual romance?
Fanservice kept to a minimum of one or two shots per episode?
J.C. Staff anime?
Then Hidan No Aria is for you.

Quote:
I'll be honest, the fact that KugRie is voicing a loli tsundere was an immediate turnoff and is the main reason why I haven't tried this, but I'm willing to change my mind if it's more than that.
Aria is actually more tolerable than most KugRie lolis if you just ignore the first half of episode 2. She's bratty at first but her dere-dere side is quick to emerge.
Old 2011-05-24, 12:05   Link #2203
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Um...well....
Do you like cute girls with guns and swords?
Male protagonists with attitude who can kick ass?
Ridiculous yet entertaining action movies that defy all laws of physics?
A love-comedy that is not harem but an actual romance?
Fanservice kept to a minimum of one or two shots per episode?
J.C. Staff anime?
Then Hidan No Aria is for you.

Aria is actually more tolerable than most KugRie lolis if you just ignore the first half of episode 2. She's bratty at first but her dere-dere side is quick to emerge.
I was quite fond of Shakugan no Shana back in the day, though I was disappointed with the 2nd season. The Shana S OVAs (ep 3 and 4) however were excellent and possibly the best of the franchise. Other girls with guns anime I enjoyed include Noir, Canaan, Gunslinger Girl and Ga-Rei Zero.

I am neutral with J C Staff these days. Don't hate them or like them in particular as they tend to hit-or-miss light novel adaptations. Use to love them back when they use to do notaminA adaptations but I guess that's history.

As long as the tsun-tsun aspect is kept to a reasonable level (i.e. not ZnT level) then I am able to tolerate it.

Thanks for the info. I'm reasonably convinced to give this series a shot now .
Old 2011-05-26, 00:35   Link #2204
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

What...I think Index and Madoka receive far more attention...Shana too
Old 2011-05-26, 01:08   Link #2205
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

its ironic to say, part of the reason we get many posts is due to complainters, without them we would never come this far

But ridiculously high? really? The other two shows most talked about is probably anohana and irohana, did we actually beat them ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 02:33   Link #2206
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
its ironic to say, part of the reason we get many posts is due to complainters, without them we would never come this far

But ridiculously high? really? The other two shows most talked about is probably anohana and irohana, did we actually beat them ?
Yes, in fact . AnoHana seems to have universal praise minus a few nitpicky complaints here and there (mainly got to with Menma constantly crying), but discussion is actually quite low. Iroha seems to be generally positive but it does have a fair few complaints itself actually, particularly in relation to the show losing its magic compared from the first two episodes (though the latest one, kind of brought it back on track), but discussion level is quite high.

I'm up to date with this series now, and I'm kinda torn. I enjoyed episodes 3, 4 and 5 where it was more action-orientated, but episodes 1,2, 6 were mainly harem romcom stuff which I'm not too fond of.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:45   Link #2207
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
I enjoyed episodes 3, 4 and 5 where it was more action-orientated, but episodes 1,2, 6 were mainly harem romcom stuff which I'm not too fond of.
interesting, that's the exact opposite for me.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:56   Link #2208
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

I'm up to date with this series now, and I'm kinda torn. I enjoyed episodes 3, 4 and 5 where it was more action-orientated, but episodes 1,2, 6 were mainly harem romcom stuff which I'm not too fond of.
This part is exactly why I am cautious around adaptations by JC Staff. And yes, I am like you, I'd like more aksshuun than the romcom antics they have been feeding us with since about THREE series, Shana, ZnT and Index.

A certain trapboy complaining about Index and JC Staff adaptations of light novels in the IRC room I go to summed it up well:

Quote:

it's like, FFS JC, orsola has a more platonic older-sister-making-sure-the-brother-doesn't-get-himself-into-more-trouble feel than OMG ITS TOUMA BLUSH BLUSH JEALOUS BLUSH BLUSH
Also cue me knocking head against desk when I asked whether the relationship reset in Shana season 2 happened in the light novel and I got the answer that it did not.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 03:16   Link #2209
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Akushon...perhaps.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 07:35   Link #2210
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Yes, in fact . AnoHana seems to have universal praise minus a few nitpicky complaints here and there (mainly got to with Menma constantly crying), but discussion is actually quite low. Iroha seems to be generally positive but it does have a fair few complaints itself actually, particularly in relation to the show losing its magic compared from the first two episodes (though the latest one, kind of brought it back on track), but discussion level is quite high.
I figured those two series would have more discussions on speculations and Characters, given how vastly deep both of them are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
We know Dahak =_=...

If there's ever a cruise missile on a course towards a large building, you'll be the only one out of seven hundred eye witnesses that would instead be looking around to see if any skirts were being uplifted from the shockwave of the explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This part is exactly why I am cautious around adaptations by JC Staff. And yes, I am like you, I'd like more aksshuun than the romcom antics they have been feeding us with since about THREE series, Shana, ZnT and Index.
You could... You know... Watch the other shows JC staff produced inbetween those series... It's kinda not their fault if you only paid attention to those shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
A certain trapboy complaining about Index and JC Staff adaptations of light novels in the IRC room I go to summed it up well:
...That doesn't summarized anything ! In fact it just made me even more confused as JC Staff neither blotch Touma's relationship with Orsola, nor was that an accurate description of their relationship in the first place.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:56   Link #2211
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
We know Dahak =_=...

If there's ever a cruise missile on a course towards a large building, you'll be the only one out of seven hundred eye witnesses that would instead be looking around to see if any skirts were being uplifted from the shockwave of the explosion.
Make that six hundred ninety eight. I'll be the six-ninety-ninth guy who tells Dahak "Look! I saw a cute twintail with big ones do a jiggle over there!"

In all seriousness though, wasn't the comment directed at RomCom, and not necessarily fanservice? I don't mind me some RomCom in HnA, considering the whole "girl(s) live with the guy" thing they have going

I mean, doesn't the novel have harem antics in it?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 08:15   Link #2212
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
We know Dahak =_=...
oh, looks like I'm already "infamous" around these parts. (at least, I have good company -> the guy above me)
but you're probably right. guess I should stop repeating myself like that...

Quote:
that's actually a nice way to put it. I'm... speechless.
Old 2011-05-26, 08:29   Link #2213
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

*raises hand proudly*

I am one of those who approach this thread and left complaints. Well, I was really expecting action the calibre of Shakugan no Shana when I saw Hidan no Aria; if not for my curiosity, I would not have picked this one up.

Hidan no Aria has the possibility of being a good action light novel series, but why did the author resort to such plot devices? A flawless escape using escape resulting in no injuries, and a pair of missiles that surgically take out an aircraft engine each is just not believable.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 08:34   Link #2214
mangatron

^- Granted Riko escaped differently than the manga, but the missile's aren't that unbelievable. During the recent war in Iraq, a Fedex cargo plane was hit by a surface launched misile, and the plane suffered wing damage, and from what I remember it was able to land. So while I'm unsure of the damage type of the ones used in HnA, blowing out the engines themselves isn't exactly unreal, as I don't think there was a real life scenario where that actually happened (the russian shoot down incident of Korean Air is probably as close as we can get, although those details are a bit shky I believe)

Quote:
oh, looks like I'm already "infamous" around these parts. (at least, I have good company -> the guy above me)
but you're probably right. guess I should stop repeating myself like that...
At least you're known as the fanservice guy. Back in the yesteryears of this forum I used to be known as that until I magically acquired the lolitron nickname I guess the perks of that is, now all the loli's are given to me, like Aria and Rotte, and I don't have to claim them

Other the other hand I had to fight for Shirayandere. We're.... really not getting that beach ep, are we? How else am I going to see Shirayandere have a ponytail do?
Old 2011-05-26, 08:46   Link #2215
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
that's actually a nice way to put it. I'm... speechless.
You can use it if you want...

Even in the face of the most awesomest of awesome action, an exploding building, you're only interested in the fanservice
Old 2011-05-26, 08:53   Link #2216
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
... I actually like both, its like getting 2 of my favourite things a a cute little bundle by the name of Kanzaki H Aria.
Old 2011-05-27, 00:45   Link #2217
Kagatob

Send a message via AIM to Kagatob
I've been reading through the posts and complaints about this show and am still scratching my head as to why this show has been the target of so much flack lately. Granted I can understand if a few novel-purists point out something missing or needlessly added, but that's not what's happening in the slightest.
Did I not get the memo that Aria is the new cool thing to automatically hate on or something?
I can understand if an anime is not someone's cup of tea, but the level of dedication to the bitcher-moaners over this show really has me shocked. I'm going out on a limb here but it's almost if this show for one reason or another hit the /b/tards radar or something.
I won't claim that this show is perfect or even the best show this season, but it's still hella-enjoyable for a variety of reasons.
It's like listening to people complain about too many action scenes in an action movie .... what?

Quote:
I was quite fond of Shakugan no Shana back in the day, though I was disappointed with the 2nd season. The Shana S OVAs (ep 3 and 4) however were excellent and possibly the best of the franchise.
Not completely related to the topic, but this particular post here made me raise an eyebrow. While I'll agree that the 2nd season wasn't quite as good as the first, it was still rock solid and delivered where it needed to, and even the first two OVA episodes were a wonderful change of pace without not being Shana-good.
The 3rd and 4th episodes? Rather than be descriptive as to my opinion of them it'll probably be more effective for me to simply write here what I screamed at my monitor after finishing the 4th episode.
"What the @^$# did I just wait so many months to watch? NOTHING HAPPENED!"
AKA: The plot didn't move an inch, hell it might have even gone backwards for all I know.

Since I've always been interested in human reasoning and psychology, I really need to know the reasoning/logic behind that statement, as I read it and simply ask myself 'wut?'.

Lastly, to all of the people that keep complaining about they hate Louise, Taiga, Aria, etc. etc. etc. Kugimiya Loli-tsun characters are a staple now and probably will be for a long time to come, learn to love them or just shut up and walk away, if their complaining is annoying to you what makes you think your complaining isn't annoying to the rest of us?
Kagatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 01:11   Link #2218
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob
Not completely related to the topic, but this particular post here made me raise an eyebrow. While I'll agree that the 2nd season wasn't quite as good as the first, it was still rock solid and delivered where it needed to, and even the first two OVA episodes were a wonderful change of pace without not being Shana-good.
The 3rd and 4th episodes? Rather than be descriptive as to my opinion of them it'll probably be more effective for me to simply write here what I screamed at my monitor after finishing the 4th episode.
"What the @^$# did I just wait so many months to watch? NOTHING HAPPENED!"
AKA: The plot didn't move an inch, hell it might have even gone backwards for all I know.

Since I've always been interested in human reasoning and psychology, I really need to know the reasoning/logic behind that statement, as I read it and simply ask myself 'wut?'.

Lastly, to all of the people that keep complaining about they hate Louise, Taiga, Aria, etc. etc. etc. Kugimiya Loli-tsun characters are a staple now and probably will be for a long time to come, learn to love them or just shut up and walk away, if their complaining is annoying to you what makes you think your complaining isn't annoying to the rest of us?
Eps 3 and 4 of the OVAs had Shana act like how I personally wanted her to be - cool-headed, somewhat reserved, neither "tsun" nor lovestruck. She had the personality of what it would be ideal to get the work done and not let her emotions get in the way. It's as if I've watching a completely different character and I was very impressed. That is why I enjoyed these two episodes. I watched it with the mindset that these eps were prequels (prior to Shana meeting Yuuji). From how I interpreted, they weren't for plot progression at all considering Yuuji wasn't even in it but for portraying character development of Shana, in this case, how she formerly was. On the other hand, I've only read the first two volumes of the light novel (and I don't really intend to read more) so I can understand why light novel readers might be angered by this.

Conversely, I personally thought eps 1 and 2 of the OVA were pretty medicore, because they were essentially harem romcom filler. Similarly, the 2nd season consisted of half the season being harem romcom filler.

In relation to blind hate against KugRie, I can understand that it annoy fans of KugRie. I'll admit that I've been discouraged by anime that has anything to do with KugRie myself. However, this is because I almost know automatically what her character will be like. In a critic's defense, over-use of a character trait, genre, trope etc inevitably fuels criticism because it just shows obvious laziness on behalf of the developers. If people associate KugRie as always voice acting a tsundere loli who's going to abuse the main character and then switch back and forth between "bitch" mode and "lovestruck" mode and it turns out to be true 95% of the time, that's a valid criticism. There's very little surprises or deviations from KugRie characters.

I personally get just as annoyed at comments like "Omg KugRie is in it - this show is automatically shit" as much as comments like "If you don't like it, GTFO". People have the right to criticize if an element of a series if they believe it's subpar. Isn't this what AS forums are about - critiquing anime? If people continue to accept medicore writing and characters, that's what we as viewers are continue to going to get. We are almost at a point where we can assume that the next 10 major KugRie characters are going to be loli tsunderes with very similar character traits. That's a major flaw and not good for the industry nor its viewers in the long run. Some vocal discern is needed to keep production quality and standards in check, though I agree that it has to be constructive.

However, this problem is the case for any entertainment medium really.

Anyways, regarding Hidan no Aria, it's a decent anime. It isn't outright terrible, but I wouldn't exactly call it good either. To me, it's an enjoyable show with some glaring flaws.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-05-27 at 01:35.
Old 2011-05-27, 01:21   Link #2219
mangatron

^-- This series did have it's share of "Kugimiya Rie voicing a tsundere loli? Pass", and for the life of me, why do viewers judge it [the series] that way without even seeing it? Condemning the entirety of the series all because a voice actress just so happened to be chosen in yet another similar role again? Maybe it's because I'm not like that, that I don't understand why the hate against her tsundere loli roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob View Post
It's like listening to people complain about too many action scenes in an action movie .... what?
Ahaha, this made me laugh. I had read the Rottentomato rating for Pirates of the Caribbean 4, and can you believe their consensus? "Noisy action sequences?" Say what? Granted I haven't watched that yet, but did they want this to be a early 1900's silent film?

Quote:
Since I've always been interested in human reasoning and psychology,
Huh, didn't know I had a comrade there

Quote:
How very true. Early in my days here I used to brush it off and talk something else silly, but I age too you know, and nowadays I'm not always going to ignore things like that and talk about the best bouncing boobies of the recent ep (well I will do the latter)
Old 2011-05-27, 02:18   Link #2220
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
^-- This series did have it's share of "Kugimiya Rie voicing a tsundere loli? Pass", and for the life of me, why do viewers judge it [the series] that way without even seeing it? Condemning the entirety of the series all because a voice actress just so happened to be chosen in yet another similar role again?
Maybe they thought that she would be that tsudere likes all of her previous roles. Granted, I have never for the life of me to know the name of any voice actors, so I wouldnt know that all the loli that I hate so far (more like dislike) is voice by the same person I mean tsudere is good and all but too much is just annoyed and that also is the reason that I avoid this show at first due to reading the manga before. Aria did get better in the later episodes so I have no complain there, but during the first 2 episode I just want to scream at her "maybe you could have found a partner earlier if you are not so bitchy!" and "I know you have to rescue your mother and all but no one is your slave!" It may well be that since I am male so watching the male protagonist gets the short end of the stick annoyed me.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere