AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-21, 08:25   Link #61
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Actually, I'd like to go and visit for a week or two. I think I'd enjoy myself. Not sure when I will go, but I definately want to go. Maybe I could team up with a couple of animesuki members and we could make it a group trip? It would make it much easier I think moving in a small group of say 6-8 people.
Lol. Well before I move their I might just go for the visit, my friends wanted go their next christmas however i'am going to have to find a good travel agency.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 09:41   Link #62
wnkryo
HainShodan

Yes i do plan on going in the future, but thats just to check out the illegal street racing in tokyo at night! ... and all the sexy hot japanese girls ^^
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 12:33   Link #63
Katana

Send a message via AIM to Katana
I plan to go right after college, too-nyo. I'm gonna go when it's around the time of an anime convention. ^_^ Tee hee...
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 12:39   Link #64
corp20
Internet God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
... and all the sexy hot japanese girls ^^
Well one day I would like to go. But any way one of my buddys went for a summer (He didn't buy anything while he was there. ). It funny, he wishes that he didn't go because now he can judge when japanese girls are hot and when they are not. If this happends to me when I (hopefully) go, I'll be sad.
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 13:00   Link #65
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

The people on #animesuki, some of whom live in Japan, would probably like me to point out that Japan has no anti-racism laws, so there's nothing to stop them from charging Americans twice as much to stay at a hotel, kicking Americans out of a store, etc.
Old 2003-12-21, 13:04   Link #66
kazusa
Helping Translator

Send a message via AIM to kazusa Send a message via MSN to kazusa
Yup, I've stayed in Japan a lot and I love it ^ ^
Americans really gotta appreciate the public transportation there. Although it's kind of hard to remember routes O.o
kazusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 13:25   Link #67
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Well I plan to move to japan right after college, because I have alot of tech and programming skills I should be able to fit in well with their high tech industry and I make decent money right now so I will most likely be able to fund my trip without too much effort compared to many of you poor children whom can bearly afford to make it to the next day. Heres my question have you been to japan or do you plan to go, if so, tell us when and why, if now tell us why not.
Firstly, I think Dopeskills is right; they've had a pretty bad recession for over a decade now.

Um..if you're talking about computers, I think the US is the place to be. Japanese computers still run Windows or Macs, and those programmers are still in America. In fact, due to export laws, I believe our computers are faster than theirs are (Give the rest of the word old-tech).

So, I'm a poor child who can barely afford to make it to the next day? Thanks, man...!

'If not, then why not'? You want people to tell you WHY they haven't gone to Japan?

Anyway, I went for 3 weeks a couple of summers ago. It was late July/early August, so the heat/humidity were in full effect. Went on a whirlwind tour of Kansai & Kantou, it was pretty cool. No trips to Okinawa or Hokkaido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ink
So, before you make up plans, visit there for like 2 weeks or so.

Otherwise you might end up being in japan for a year while thinking it suxxors big time :P
true, trUE, TRUE! Remember, you're pretty much expected to be illiterate upon arrival. When I was there, very few Japanese people spoke English, and I had to rely on my broken-ass Japanese. It's much better now, so if I go again I should be okay. (Not nearly enough to live there, though).

If you do go, either know Japanese or bring someone who does. The airline did give us a little book of phrases to communicate with, but it was limited to pointing.

How much does this cost?--------------------------------------------これはいくらですか。
Where is the bathroom?-----------------------------------------------お手洗いはどこですか。
My stomach hurts.------------------------------------------------------御腹が痛いです。
Is there a bank nearby?----------------------------------------------近く銀行がありますか。
Can anyone speak English?------------------------------------------英語が話せる人がいますか。

I don't think you want to do this for a year or two. Finding your way around train stations can be difficult. Not really being able to talk to anyone for a year SUCKS.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 14:29   Link #68
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Um..if you're talking about computers, I think the US is the place to be. Japanese computers still run Windows or Macs, and those programmers are still in America. In fact, due to export laws, I believe our computers are faster than theirs are (Give the rest of the word old-tech).

Your ignorance hurts me.

They have the latest and greatest of all hardware that can possibly be out, plus stuff not available elsewhere, including super-tiny laptops and small formfactor desktops.

Replies to other comments:

Having good programming/IT skills won't help you much. They have plenty skilled in that area.

There are no anti-racism laws but I'll be damned if I've had trouble because of it.

The first anime convention in several years is going to be AX-Tokyo in early January, 2004. I don't remember when the last one was, and Comiket doesn't count. And the Japanese will use ANY event as a reason to cosplay.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 14:35   Link #69
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Working and living in Japan is completely different that going to visit this country some weeks as a tourist.

Even if the Japanese language can be always learned on the spot and that a good English level is a serious advantage in a country which has much dificulties with this language, there is many problemes for the reasons that some people here have already pointed.

But the largest barrier isn't the language, but the social conventions.
This is necessary to take care to know to remain humble in any circumstance, not to humiliate his interlocutor by show an higher English level than him, understand that Japanese who says yes informs you that he listens, and not that he agrees your remarks.
The behaviors of work and the reference marks are to the antipodes of our (and by our I mean the western contries).

It's not rare to see a japanese closing the eyes in meeting. It's not a momentary somnolence, but a way of being with listening and of putting themselves in withdrawal compared to that which wants to speak.

It's easy to leave your country but it's possible that you may not to be done for the Japan.
That requires patience, humility and especially to know the gestures which can annoy.
Like crossing your legs, to put in one of your pocket in front of Japanese the calling card that you have just received or worse : to write above, to question Japanese on his way of working (to understand why he does something) is insulting, that means that you have doubts on his competences.
And there is many others cultural problem like that.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 14:56   Link #70
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
to put in one of your pocket in front of Japanese the calling card that you have just received
Do you mean putting a business card in your pocket right after someone gives it to you?

Weird, ne ^^;
Old 2003-12-21, 22:54   Link #71
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Welcome to the world of weird. It's like this all over the world. Heck, I don't even have to go but a state away here in the states to find a totally different culture at times. Like if you go down to New York, something that might seem totally natural in the northern states will probuby get you shot in New York. Same basic idea going to Japan. There's even cultural differences between provinces in Japan.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 06:17   Link #72
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS

Very true. OTOH, I think that inflation is near zero also, no? Helps somewhat, I suppose.
I think Japan's economy is actually in deflation..... Although you must find your local 100 Yen Shop!!! It will save your wallet......

Quote:
That's what vacation days are for. To go play wide-eyed tourist at every major tourist trap in the region. Isn't Saturday also an "official" work day in the country? I know that a holiday like Christmas is just another day, but they, for 2004, get Jan. 1st, 2nd, and, I think, 5th off..
As for public holidays I think theres also "Golden week" which is where there a large number of public holidays in close sucession (End of April/Beginning of May) - a lot of Japanese tend to take annual leave around this time and I was advised that unless I had masochistic tendencies to avoid travelling/touristy activity due to the large number of people in transit during this period although I heard from others (who had obviously become hardened to the crowded conditions in Tokyo that they did notice all that much difference......)

Quote:
No worries. I don't want to deal with the hassles of Immigration anyway, so I'm not going to work without getting a work visa sponsored first. Don't need the rep of being a hardened criminal.
Dress smart/casual for Immigration; Dreadlocks and a Hash Leaf T-shirt might win you a free body cavity search......

Quote:
I'm in the process of applying for a job in my company's Tokyo office, which is why I'm asking all these questions. Our HR dept should cover all of this, but since I didn't go through that dept... Oops. Unfortunately, there's also time pressure on their side, it seems, so everything feels really rushed. Blegh!
Hey cool, I think most of the "High Flying" executives that I met had been set up with very nice apartments in the Akasaka (or was it Asakusa area, I always get those mixed up). Most of these pads would be out of the majority of peoples price brackets but were rented out to employee's of Multinational Corporations at a very reasonable rate as part of a relocation package. (Sweet) Think your company could stretch to this???

Quote:
That is actually quite a sweet deal. There had been a thread of this in the old forums, but it may not have gotten rescued by the Big Reset of November 2003. I wonder if it can be resurrected?
Yeah its a very good scheme .

Quote:
That's what I'm hearing too. That along with the use of key money and such that, as you had mentioned, can really eat into your savings. So long as you're willing to commute into the city - not to mention which city you're near/in - the rent should be more reasonable than a place like New York or London, no?
As anywhere, rates do get more reasonable the further from the centre of the city you go. Most Gaijin houses tend to be about 35 - 50 mins train journey from the centre of Tokyo (with most on the western side). Although they do vary in design and suitability it would be better for you if your company can sort out your own accomodation for you. (most of them either seem to have dubious management or are not in the best condition, 100 yen per hour heaters / Air conditioners will also start to get on your nerves too........ie During winter its not great to have the heater shut off whilst you are asleep because you forgot to put enough coins in....)

Btw Rooms are usually measured by the number of traditonal tatami mats that the floor space can accomodate.

Also prepare yourself for a financial mugging in advance.......

Quote:
Do you know anything about (I think they're called) gaijin houses? I did some digging around, and they sounded okay. Not the same as having your own apt, but they basically sound like dorms that aren't owned by a company or the government. Cost-wise, they look reasonable, but you do give up a certain amount of privacy.
Yeah, as I've mentioned above there are some advantages and disadvantages to the whole gaijin house thing. You get to meet Japanese and foreigners, its cheap, but often the management is suspect and they are only after your cash. I stayed in one place where they disliked one of their long time tenants, as he had a contract of tenancy they couldn't just kick him out so instead started up a rumour mill that he was a rapist (even though the supposed "victim" completely denied anything had occured and was herself offended) this all just to try to get him to leave.....In the end both the guy and his "victim" went to the lawyers....... The owners had also apparently "bought" all the staff who worked there (all female), by paying their debts off for them. In exchange they had to work like slaves for him both at the gaijin house and his business seven days a week.
Other places I stayed in were better, if a little rundown. If you want the name of this one (so you can avoid it) let me know .....(Actually its a chain of about 4 owned by the same guy Lets just say they are "Big".....that should be enough of a clue)

Quote:
In any case, tsurumaru, thanks a lot for providing such great information. Much appreciated!
Just glad you found it useful...I've also updated Kyoto's information as I forgot the Osamu Tezuka museum is just next to the main train station!
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 12:25   Link #73
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
I think Japan's economy is actually in deflation..... Although you must find your local 100 Yen Shop!!! It will save your wallet......
Hard to say, honestly. You hear things like their Central Bank being bullish on the country's economy, and the next day, there is an article about a regional bank being nationalized.

Quote:
Dress smart/casual for Immigration; Dreadlocks and a Hash Leaf T-shirt might win you a free body cavity search......
As tempting (yeah, right!) as that sounds, I do believe that I'll take a pass on that one.

Quote:
Hey cool, I think most of the "High Flying" executives that I met had been set up with very nice apartments in the Akasaka (or was it Asakusa area, I always get those mixed up). Most of these pads would be out of the majority of peoples price brackets but were rented out to employee's of Multinational Corporations at a very reasonable rate as part of a relocation package. (Sweet) Think your company could stretch to this???
Dunno about that, truthfully. There's a chap here who just came back from Japan after five years in the country, so I'm going to see what's going on with the situation. All I know is that the relocation package includes only the first month's housing at either a hotel or a corporate apartment, which seems to be pretty standard for the process here. What you're describing sounds like an ex-pat package, and we gave that up awhile ago as being too expensive. It's also a multi-year commitment - assuming that the head office okays the expense and the Tokyo hiring manager decides to extend the offer to me - and I can't really see anyone giving up a corporate apartment for 3+ years.

Besides, I'm not an executive, but a lowly programmer. I'm not even sure if there's going to be a cost-of-living adjustment.

Quote:
As anywhere, rates do get more reasonable the further from the centre of the city you go. Most Gaijin houses tend to be about 35 - 50 mins train journey from the centre of Tokyo (with most on the western side). Although they do vary in design and suitability it would be better for you if your company can sort out your own accomodation for you. (most of them either seem to have dubious management or are not in the best condition, 100 yen per hour heaters / Air conditioners will also start to get on your nerves too........ie During winter its not great to have the heater shut off whilst you are asleep because you forgot to put enough coins in....)

Btw Rooms are usually measured by the number of traditonal tatami mats that the floor space can accomodate.

Also prepare yourself for a financial mugging in advance.......
Gotcha. No Gaijin houses, then. Don't need the aggrevation.

Quote:
Maybe I could team up with a couple of animesuki members and we could make it a group trip?
I think that Hellychan was in charge of this project, but it went bye-bye when the forums went to the Great Beyond. It seems to be a nonstarter, however, since people were only tossing dates that are years in the future at the time.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 13:12   Link #74
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Actually, I'd like to go and visit for a week or two. I think I'd enjoy myself. Not sure when I will go, but I definately want to go. Maybe I could team up with a couple of animesuki members and we could make it a group trip? It would make it much easier I think moving in a small group of say 6-8 people.
Quote:
I think that Hellychan was in charge of this project, but it went bye-bye when the forums went to the Great Beyond. It seems to be a nonstarter, however, since people were only tossing dates that are years in the future at the time.
Ah!!! Yes, I was in charge of this project, but unfortunately, many people seemed like they couldn't make up their mind ^^"
Old 2003-12-22, 14:25   Link #75
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellychan
Ah!!! Yes, I was in charge of this project, but unfortunately, many people seemed like they couldn't make up their mind ^^"
Tsk. You have to be tougher on these guys, then!
Old 2003-12-22, 15:32   Link #76
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
actually, if you dig around, the 'gaijin houses' err...ryokans? can be quite nice
mine was a 3 minute walk from takanobaba station, which is part of the yamanote line.. and a minute away from the subway
so i was able to get around really easily
and my kanrinin-san and her daughter were sooooooo nice to me
the first night it took me a while to get to the place, being my first time in jaapn and all, and it was raining, so i didnt have time to get a proper dinner; ie, none at all
so my kanrinin asked if i would like her to prepare something
and on the last night my kanrinin's daughter took me to her friend's restaurant and since i cant read kanji, she helped with the ordering too
my room wasnt too expensive either, it came out to about 35-40ish canadian a night

yep...i loved the time i spent in tokyo, the only regrets i have are not being able to speak japanese.
the only stuff i knew i pretty much picked up off anime, so i could barely make myself understood with only that and a phrase book...heh...i even mixed up the different levels of politeness with different accents in the same sentence
everyone i met though, were REALLY helpful
i would love to go back after i learn more of the language...

oh....and if anyone requests it, i can post some pics of my vacation
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 18:59   Link #77
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
actually, if you dig around, the 'gaijin houses' err...ryokans? can be quite nice
"Ryokan's" are traditional Japanese style hotels. - Very Nice

"Gaijin Houses" are cheap accommodation aimed at foreigners - Erm not always very nice
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 22:34   Link #78
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
"Ryokan's" are traditional Japanese style hotels. - Very Nice

"Gaijin Houses" are cheap accommodation aimed at foreigners - Erm not always very nice
Hmm... If a room in the ryokan costs approx. CA$40-50, I'm wondering if they permit long-term lodgers.

MwyC - If you put up a link to your photo album, that'll be great. Much obliged!
Old 2003-12-23, 02:28   Link #79
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
ahh..my pbase account is acting up..soo..brinkster it is..
may have to copy and paste urls, sorry
-edit- if you click the links it will give you an error...but you can just press enter in the address bar again since it retains the url

http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/airsoft3.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/anime2.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/anime3.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jfood2.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/nightstreet2.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jroom.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jstreet0.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jstreet5.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jsubway1.jpg http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jt.jpg http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jt3.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/jt2.jpg
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/stuff.jpg
hehe....me after walking from my ryokan to shinjuku, exploring the place and walking back...an 8 hour romp
http://www31.brinkster.com/rrmc/yasumi/P1010037.jpg

i was by myself for the first bit, then my family came for the last 3 days, these are without my family
oh...and if you are using a digital cam...make sure you r memory cards are good
i lost half my pics cause one of my cards died on me
so no pics of the beautiful countryside/rural areas
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:20   Link #80
RichMan
????

A trip to Japan

For my internet class we're doing a project on "Where would you go for your senior trip if you had $1500?" I decided on going to Tokyo, Japan. I'm not really going there, this project is about what I would do if I did go and I have to write about it on powerpoint(this project basically is to teach us more about search for info online and using powerpoint in general). I used "expedia.com" and have found the prices for flight+hotel. The hotel I got is the "Hilton Narita New Tokyo International Airport"(it's a 4star hotel, and I guess it's also the airport as well ^_^'). If you already know, this hotel is in the chiba region(not Tokyo, but really close!).

What I need help on is, can you guys suggest some cool things I can do there that is anime/gaming related? I already got some idea's, but since I don't know the area well I have no idea if the places are close or far. Tell me some things that are close to that hotel. Oh yeah, also the we suppose to leave June 1 of this year and I can go as long as my money lasts(i've planed 5 days, but i'll only actually be there 3 because it takes a day to fly to Japan). With the flight+hotel I've already spent about $1,200. So I got $300 to last me three days.

RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel