Old 2007-11-17, 10:24   Link #41
Airi
White Empress
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Airi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen View Post
Spoiler:

A great episode to me. I finally understand Setsuna psychology a little bit.
Setsuna = Itachi???!!!! No....I can't beleive it!!!!
Maybe they weren't his parent!!!
Airi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 10:31   Link #42
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

What an amazing episode. The best one yet. Like the cliffhanger with Graham, Setsuna VS Ali is resolved pretty quickly, however I like the fast paced action and Exia 'powers up'. Cutting half way through another blade just screams 'badass' to me!

Setsuna finally gets some well deserved character development. Man, what a dark past he has. Killing his mother (probably) when he's just a kid and then involved in a war. I guess he muttered 'there's no God' back in episode 1 when he realized that he's just being used by Ali. Setsuna just loves his Gundam doesn't he? His fighting purpose is to stay alive and stay together with Exia . Looking forward to see Setsuna and Ali relationship develop.

Lockon and Tieria also have some minor development. Lockon knows when to get serious as he disciplines Setsuna after he breaks the rule. Tieria proves himself to be a jerk again. Pointing a gun at your own teammate? What's your problem? Speaking of Tieria, I think he likes to kill too. Just look at Virtue vaporizing those poor Hellions.

The fall of Morania (sp?) triggers a world wide terrorist attacks. I'm interested to see how this incident will develop the next episode. And bring on Setsuna X Marina!

A solid 10 out of 10 for this episode!
Old 2007-11-17, 10:32   Link #43
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
That's call the last hope. I guess Ali is someone he respect a lot. However, I'm a little bit confused here. Ali said something that relate to God when welcome those kids, but at ep 1, Setsuna said "There is no God in this world". Does that mean, he was betrayed?
Ali only cared for his paycheck according to what he said last episode. Setsuna probably was betrayed.

As for Tieria, really to me he is not more heartless than Setsuna who shot a helpless woman. Meh, I still like them though.

Lockon is the only one amongst the gundam pilots who is psychologically sound.

Can't wait for next episode. ;D
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 10:33   Link #44
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
If I understood it correct, he didn't just say, that he'll fire at him, but he said, that he will shoot him in the back.
Yup. Here's a quickie translation:

Tieria: Setsuna F Seiei...
Setsuna: Tieria Erde...
Tieria: If you undertake any moronic arbitrary actions again, I shall shoot you from behind.
Setsuna: You'd abandon a solar furnace?
Tieria: In order to protect the Gundams' secrets, yes.

They're as charming as snakes this week.

Anyway, by "abandon a solar furnace", Setsuna means losing Exia's - ie "you'd go so far as to destroy such a valuable thing as a solar furnace?"

Quote:
Interessting episode, though I don't completely understand, why Setsuna had to see Ali's face after confirming the voice and the movement.
Given how big an impact Ali had on his life, I think Setsuna had to find out for sure.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 10:45   Link #45
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Ali only cared for his paycheck according to what he said last episode. Setsuna probably was betrayed.
Ali continues in the same vein this week. It's hard to tell what he was like when Setsuna met him, but he doesn't seem drastically different. When he thinks back on Kurdis, there doesn't seem to be any particular attachment or feelings about the place. I'm not 100% certain he was always this money-grabbing but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last week, I thought that Setsuna was surprised to see Ali alive. However, it seems that he was surprised to meet Ali in general, and in particular working for PMC.

Quote:
As for Tieria, really to me he is not more heartless than Setsuna who shot a helpless woman. Meh, I still like them though.
Tieria's supposed to be an adult though. Setsuna was 8 when he killed his parents (or whoever those two were) - start of ep 1 was 2 years later. Kids don't really develop morals until years later.
Old 2007-11-17, 10:49   Link #46
flarezard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
[Additions]

I think we hear Setsuna's real name in this ep but it's really hard to hear with the BGM - pretty sure it begins with an "s" and seems to be short. Later, Setsuna wonders what happened to Ali's "god"... and Ali briefly wonders about Setsuna (he'd already noticed Exia's pilot was a kid and seemed to know Ali) and wonders if he might be from Kurdis but then dismisses the idea. I think Ali's "god" was always "money", but Setsuna doesn't seem to have realised this yet - he still seems to have some small level of belief in Ali's motivations. Wonder how long until those are shattered. Setsuna killed his own mother (?) in cold blood while she begged him - because of Ali.
I'm not sure about that. But what I heard in that scene is "Sora" (Japanese accent)

Maybe it's from "Solah". I'm not sure.

"Solah" is from "Salat" (also salah, namaz, solat, solah, solaat, solaah, salaat, namaaz, shalat and other spellings) It means "to bless, generally refers to prayers that Muslims offer to God (Arabic:Allah)"

It most commonly refers to the five daily ritual prayers in Islam.
flarezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 10:52   Link #47
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Tieria's supposed to be an adult though. Setsuna was 8 when he killed his parents (or whoever those two were) - start of ep 1 was 2 years later. Kids don't really develop morals until years later.
Well Tieria shoot people who put a [CB's] cause in danger, but Setsuna would shoot anyone to tries to separate him from his Gundam. No to mention, Setsuna would imagine a park being blown into bits without looking a least bit affected... I can't really disregard that becuase Setsuna is a minor.

I think one point in the future, Ali and Setuna will have a fateful fight against each other with Ali getting mortally wounded.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 11:59   Link #48
Bocca
Banned

Sumeragi is more "impressive" each episode.
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 12:11   Link #49
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Setsuna finally have some background and character development, which is good. I guess now we can finally understand his... psychotic personality, judging from what he has done and what he has experienced as a kid, that got to deal some major damage to his mental health

I mean, believing in God and killing his parents in order to join God's army, that's some really messed up childhood for sure
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 12:30   Link #50
Katsumara
The cake eater.

This episode was purely amazing and I can't wait for the subs. <3 So many good parts in it.
Old 2007-11-17, 12:31   Link #51
flou
That's no lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarezard View Post
I'm not sure about that. But what I heard in that scene is "Sora" (Japanese accent)

Maybe it's from "Solah". I'm not sure.

"Solah" is from "Salat" (also salah, namaz, solat, solah, solaat, solaah, salaat, namaaz, shalat and other spellings) It means "to bless, generally refers to prayers that Muslims offer to God (Arabic:Allah)"

It most commonly refers to the five daily ritual prayers in Islam.
It could also be "Soran" since that's a Kurdish male name.
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 12:47   Link #52
ashlay
the red string of fate

I thought the 1st five or so minutes with Setsuna and Ali where absolutely brilliant. Setsuna's past, the getting out of the cockpit, Ali's reactions, all well done and extremely fun to watch.

I just....I wish they hadn't started throwing in the reaction around the world material, especially the first one....and maybe even the second (why can't we see the Gundams destroying things other than MS? -_-) it just ruined the mood of what was otherwise an excellent episode.

still, despite the occasional questionable moments and the only 'good' fight sequences after the initial one, the moments of brilliance this week, from the character interactions to what happened in japan at the end certainly deserve praise. I very much hope the show can continue to keep such a level of growing character tension, relatively fun fights, and development into the pilot's past.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 12:59   Link #53
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by flou View Post
It could also be "Soran" since that's a Kurdish male name.
After carefully listening to it with my headphones...

Solah sounds possible but Soran sounds closer. Kinda marginal though...

PS Towards the end, after punching Setsuna, Lockon says that the Meisters' backgrounds is supposed to be as top-level a secret as the solar furnaces. Seems a bit overkill to me... but in some ways, both are critical to success - Meisters without solar furnace powered Gundams wouldn't be able to do much, while Gundams with non-Meister level pilots wouldn't be able to survive a long "war".

It's interesting to note how many hints are being dropped that CB is resource limited in certain areas - they have some great stuff, but they don't have a lot. It seems harder for them to build a solar furnace than a Gundam, for example or even the Ptolemaios. We also see that the Gundams are a bit of a work in progress - hence the upgrade last week. In other words, CB doesn't have much time to spare - if the 3 major powers realise that, they would surely adjust tactics - ie concentrate on R&D and play the long game.

If CB truly wish to end war itself (not just conflicts) that requires a change in the structure of the world such that war would always hurt all sides. That's not something that can happen quickly. Can CB stay far enough ahead of the rest of the world for them to be able to continue shaping events...? (Well, next-gen solar furnaces and Gundams seem quite likely in a 50 ep series...)
Old 2007-11-17, 13:21   Link #54
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Tieria is a douchebag. That is all.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 13:23   Link #55
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Well Tieria shoot people who put a [CB's] cause in danger, but Setsuna would shoot anyone to tries to separate him from his Gundam. No to mention, Setsuna would imagine a park being blown into bits without looking a least bit affected... I can't really disregard that becuase Setsuna is a minor.
Tieria made is clear he doesn't give a s**t about the innocent victims from the terrorist bombs. It's not clear what Setsuna thinks, but he did propose taking down the terrorists as the right course of action for CB. I kinda get the feeling that while Setsuna doesn't necessarily care about individual people, he would like a more peaceful world (even if only for his benefit).

For the fountain scene, I think if the writers truly wished to indicate that it meant Setsuna doesn't care at all then they would have shown him eating the hotdog while the scenes of destruction were still going on around him. Instead, he's not even holding it. I don't think that's an animation error. It seems to me more like that Setsuna is so mentally scared that his emotions in general are quite numb - they are there, lurking (as this ep shows when he recalls shooting his mother), but it's mostly a case of "still waters run deep", I'd say. Tieria is more like "void" (as in devoid of empathy).

Quote:
I think one point in the future, Ali and Setuna will have a fateful fight against each other with Ali getting mortally wounded.
I think by the time they next fight, Setsuna will be much improved and Ali will develop some kind of personal hatred of Exia. I can imagine him stealing a development prototype to try to take on Exia and then dying...
Old 2007-11-17, 14:20   Link #56
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 14:45   Link #57
hamstar
just passing by

the climax was clearly at the beginning of the show. So much crazyness happened right at the beginning everything after that didn't really matter.

I was really impressed by this episode it deserves a 10.
Old 2007-11-17, 15:05   Link #58
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Setsuna's past is really a good commentary on how easily adults can exploit children into doing terrible things.

It's sad that stuff like that happens in the real world every day with child soldiers....
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 15:31   Link #59
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆

Yay, more GW ripoffs this week, what's next week? Having virtue do a 360 with its cannons?
Tiria's probably just a fry, brain washed to do everything fro CB, much like that ray guy in GSD. What intrigues me is that Sumeragi seems to know where the terror attack is happening right before it happens....this is like the 2nd time already.
p.s that haro is getting more annoying every week..appearently it knows water=bad and screams when it lands in water like a little girl.
Old 2007-11-17, 15:31   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Looks like I was right about Setsuna trying to forget about his past and some sort of weakness and or bad decision.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote